• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training routines

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hello there smashers :V

I think a lot of players will agree with me when I say that quality practice is rare in brawl. We all despise wifi, tournaments are expensive, smashfests aren't really serious, and cpus suck and are boring. And yet, we all want to get better.
That's why I had the idea of this thread. The purpose : sharing offline, single player training tactics that will enhance your gameplay. This is not going to be an article : my experience, as a top20 ranking player, is nowhere as valuable as a top player's.
Talent is rare, and I do not believe tops are tops just out of pure luck. I know it happens, I'm just saying that participation from high ranking players would be really welcome here.

Back to me. I'll give a couple examples from the different training techniques I have developped lately, for the sake of discussion. It's fun to note that I tend to conciously focus on different aspects of my gameplay rather than just playing the game on hardcore mode. Forcing myself to focus allows me to stay focused longer than I usually do against cpus which get boring super fast.
You can basically pick any of those, and try to complete two, three, or even more challenges at the same time to get the most out of your practice if you find it too easy.

-The M2K training : basically, this is all about studying the IA. You observe that whenever the cpu takes a hit that send them a bit upward, they always buffer an airdodge -> do not punish these airdodges. Same goes with every bad habit lvl9s have : rolling to the nearest ledge when tripped, always jumping from the ledge, etc... This training method will allow you to hone your execution skills, being frame perfect on every action you attempt instead of predicting stuff that are not going to happen in a real set.

-The comeback training : suicide 2 times at the beginning of the match, try to win it anyway. This will not be any harder than 3 stocking a cpu, but the mentality changes there. Subconciously, I tend to play a lot better doing this. And it trains you at doing less mistakes.

-The prediction training : this is kinda the same as the M2K training. What people usually do when they get hit, is thinking what they could have done to avoid that situation, or resolve it. Here, you have to force yourself to take a step further : whenever you perform an action which succeeds, ask yourself 'what could have he done to avoid that ? I'll reproduce the scenario, and do something that will punish that thing'. This will train you at two things : provoking opportunities, and keeping focus.

-The DI and antijuggle training : go to the center of the stage, get hit on purpose, and do whatever is needed to go back to the center of the stage. Will train both 'combo breaker' DI and 'survival' DI. Write somewhere how long you stayed alive, and the % you dies on each stock, and try to do better than the previous stock.

-The defensive maneuvers training : put 2 cpus in team against you, and avoid every possible damage by positionning yourself right, PSing a lot, dodging a lot. If you want to train your low% escape, suicide when you reach 50% (good training vs chaingrabbers). If you want to train your high% escape, start with a 100% handicap. You win by going to time.

-The chaingrabber's training : works with every other training routine : if you get grabbed before 50% by a falco cpu, let him get you to 75% before you continue playing. If you get grabbed by a DDD cpu, let him hit you for 30%, and go to the ledge. If you get grabbed by an ICs cpu, suicide. You get the point.

-The 'know your enemy' training : a matchup seems quite obscure to you ? A) go to your character's board. B) go to their character's board. C) play the opponent character against your character and provoke different situations to see what your opponent is capable of and the different ways your character can come out of it victorious. D) apply all that you've learned by playing your character against that opponent character. You should be able to play any character at an 'above CPU level' by now. If you aren't, it most probably means that you are uneducated about that character, and should indeed do that 'know your enemy' training, anyway.
/!\ Do not overuse this technique. I used to play random whenever I played cpus and now against real opponents I am not able to predict something I do not do when I play as their character.

-The stubborn training : We all have that one situation in one peculiar matchup that we tend to get into a lot, and it gets us in trouble. Do your list of most frequent negative situations for every matchup, especially the ones you dislike, and provoke them on purpose against cpus, repeatedly, until you are comfortable enough to be able to shout 'I KNOW ALL MY OPTIONS HERE' without shying it in the next set you'll play.

-The 'don't do it unless you're japanese' training : once you think you've mastered any combination of the above trainings, play it for a while. Whenever you lose a challenge, you have to play it again with the same characters, on the same stages, until you master it. And I mean it. Not just winning the challenge once or twice. Destroying it. Considering that challenge so easy that you can't understand how you managed to lose it anymore.

That's it for me guys. Tell me what you think about these, share yours, enjoy the game :)

Luigisama

Smash Champion
one thing that I've been working on is learning how to tech stage spikes. I don't really practice it a lot, but it helps me learn the timing to tech a stage spike.

pretty much create a box stage with one way to get in and no way to get out. Do a team with TA off 2vs1 Pick two cpus to make it seems like you're playing against a real person and then every time they hit you towards a wall get ready to tech.

I prefer this method because it creates a scenario where you don't know if you're going to get stage spiked and when you do get hit that is when you realize that you must tech. In a sense once you learn the timing and you're facing an opponent like Mk you're always ready to tech if you get stage spiked. So far I've noticed small results.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Quality practice is hard to come by when you don't live near other smashers/don't have an efficient means to get to nearby smashers. This thread is actually pretty helpful.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
i really like this thread, I just started playing brawl competitively about a month ago, im way better than all my friends now who are mostly just casual players. I plan on maybe later teaching them everything that i know in hopes of making them stronger competition for me. But for now since the wifi is really bad, and i dont know of any local tournaments, and my freinds arnt that good, computer training is basically all ive got.

One thing i could add is just simply adding handicaps on against computers that you find are too easy, but still i find this a bit boring, the comeback training seems like a better solution.

also you could try using the training mode and just free practising every once and awhile. I like to vs 3 level 9`s at the same time, and just not worry about stock, just work on certain things, and getting better, i usually warm up a little bit like that

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
^
Where you from?

I practice platform cancelling and platform cancel followups on SV, I suppose I should also start practicing on Lylat cause the platform height is much different. (I do this in training mode)

And I also practice downB cancels (ZSS) and edge slip shenanigans on BF, also in training mode.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I usually begin my training by practicing DACUS as Wolf, cuz I still suck at it like 50% of the time. Then I do stuff like spacing my stage scarring so I don't end up with a buttload of lag out of the sideB. I need to learn to telestep and lightstep more consistantly too, cuz I have almost zero control over doing one as opposed to the other.

Then I switch to Ike and practice Jab canceling over and over so I don't accidently dtilt.

With Lucario I don't really have any little tricks or advanced techs to practice, and he's still the char I tend to perform best with. I sneak in jab cancels with him every once in awhile with him too.. I really should work on Breversing tho, since that's pretty useful for many chars, Lucario being one of them.

Lately playing vs the CPU I don't even bother making them L9. All I need to do is have them try to DI away while I hit them, and they pretty much always do that.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Brawl isn't hard enough for me to "drill" things single player style. Especially given how frequently I play against other humans (at least, for someone with no smash-siblings).

If I am feeling rusty, I go auto-pilot against a LV3 CPU of every top/high tier in a row and just think about the match-up.

I only play against CPUs when I am doing that, or practicing technical things like ICs' chain-grabs.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I have a list of about 30 Lucario combos and 10-15 general AT's that I like to practice in Training mode when I need to clean off the rust. I treat them like Challenge Trials in SSF4 (only moving on when I perform the combo perfectly) and I often repeat them several times depending on their importance.

I'm always watching pro vids in hopes of extracting a combo or two and adding it to my list. Definitely want to try that comeback training idea, although I feel like Lucario's aura bonus will make it much easier than it would be for most characters. Good thread

Top Bottom