• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HF-Lan 3 - Over, Cyr, Baxon, Fuzzyness and more !

Slhoka

Smash Lord
HF-Lan <3
May 19-20, 2012
Noisy-le-Grand, France

After only two editions, the HF-Lan series managed to earn itself one of the best reputation among French tournament. Despite being fairly small -the first two events were respectively capped at 32 and 48 players for Melee-, the organization always exceeded the tournaments standards by far : many setups, couches to sit when playing, a dedicated staff, free drinks and hot dogs, and finals played in a conference hall on a movie theatre screen quickly became legendary.
Last weekend, the HF-Lan was back for its third edition : no major changes were added to the recipe, except for a free massage stand and a player cap set to 64 players for Melee. Also, for the first time, foreign players would be attending the event.

The tournament kept its promises, despite a few problems, like the lack of stream and updates. But overall, everything was there, from the hyped games to the relaxed atmosphere so caracteristic of the series.

Various facts (spoilers here, but after all, you're in a results thread)
  • Three HF-Lan, nine different players in the top 4 : Tekk, Doraki and Benoit first claimed the podium places in the first edition, followed by Darko, Cyr and Aska in the second one. This time, the finals didn't feature a French player, OverTriforce and Fuzzyness outplacing Baxon.
  • Fuzzyness takes the advantage in what could now be considered a rivalry with Baxon : at the last two French tournaments, they played five times, Fuzzyness winning trice.
  • For the third time, the winner of the event wasn't known before the last set. Except for the doubles tournament at HF-Lan 2, all the HF-Lan events went to the second set of the grand finals.
  • Cyr places 4th, but keeps losing to players of the top 2. Since june 2010, he only lost one set to a player who didn't make the top 3 (Baxon at ESAJ, to whom he lost in winners before winning in losers).

Results

Singles :
46 players : 7 rounds of swiss, then a 32-man bracket

Out of curiosity, I checked who placed significantly better in the bracket than they did in swiss rounds. Those players are listed in green. The ones who placed significantly lower are in red.

Bracket

1. OverTriforce
:sheikmelee:
2. Fuzzyness
:foxmelee:/:falcomelee:/:falconmelee:
3. Baxon
:falcomelee:
4. Cyr
:samusmelee:
5. Mahie
:foxmelee:/:marthmelee:
5. Charlon
7. LGuy
7. Styx
:falconmelee:
9. Aska
:marthmelee:
9. ClemJ
:foxmelee:
9. Doraki
9. *Zen
13. Avenger Angel
13. Samplay
13. Slhoka
13. X-17
17. Kurogane
17. Bunwa
:peachmelee:/:jigglypuffmelee:
17. Draxraven
:foxmelee:/:sheikmelee:
17. Cromat
:peachmelee:
17. Joanna Dark
17. Omega
:jigglypuffmelee:
17. Jolteon
17. Jam
25. Gorn
25. Waxon
:sheikmelee: (had to forfeit after swiss rounds, bracket sets played by Qual)
25. Chikusho
25. Alpha Dash
:icsmelee:/:foxmelee:/:falcomelee:
25. Dero
:ganonmelee:
25. Shloub
:marthmelee:/:falcomelee:
25. BeliaKING
:sheikmelee:/:marthmelee:
25. Venom
:marthmelee:/:sheikmelee: (had to forfeit after swiss rounds, bracket sets played by Jontravolta92)
--- End of the bracket ---
33. Jontravolta92
34. Qual
35. c.love
:falconmelee: / :ganonmelee:
36. RedjilfoxX
:drmario:
37. Kirikou
38. ForceObscure
39. Eiko
40. MrFreeze
:icsmelee:
41. Lukahn
:falconmelee: / :falcomelee:
42. Shigeru
43. Maynstorm
44. Xeal
:peachmelee:
45. Seya
:icsmelee: / :mariomelee:
46. Ennuxio
:younglinkmelee:

Swiss rounds

After the 7 turns of swiss rounds, the ranking was as follows:
  1. Over
  2. Fuzzyness
  3. Cyr
  4. Baxon
  5. Avenger Angel
  6. Omega
  7. LGuy
  8. Doraki
  9. Aska
  10. Mahie
  11. Styx
  12. Charlon
  13. Jolteon
  14. Bunwa
  15. Jam
  16. Kurogane
  17. Starfoula28
  18. Slhoka
  19. Cromat
  20. Joanna Dark
  21. Chikusho
  22. Shloub
  23. BeliaKING
  24. Samplay
  25. X-17
  26. Waxon
  27. *Zen
  28. Draxraven
  29. Alpha Dash
  30. Dero
  31. Gorn
  32. Venom
  33. Jontravolta92
  34. Qual
  35. c.love
  36. RedjilfoxX
  37. Kirikou
  38. ForceObscure
  39. Eiko
  40. MrFreeze
  41. Lukahn
  42. Shigeru
  43. Maynstorm
  44. Xeal
  45. Seya
  46. Ennuxio

Doubles :
13 teams, no pools

Bracket

1. Baxon :falcomelee: + OverTriforce :sheikmelee:
2. Fuzzyness :jigglypuffmelee: + Mahie :foxmelee:
3. Avenger Angel :falcomelee: + Omega :jigglypuffmelee:
4. Aska :marthmelee: + Charlon :falcomelee:
5. Samplay :falcomelee: + X-17 :falconmelee:
5. Cyr :samusmelee:/:falconmelee:/:foxmelee:/:ganonmelee:/:peachmelee:/:jigglypuffmelee: + Slhoka :sheikmelee:/:samusmelee:/:ganonmelee:/:foxmelee:
7. Alpha Dash :icsmelee:/:falcomelee:/:foxmelee:/:peachmelee: + Jolteon :sheikmelee:
7. Benoit :peachmelee:/:jigglypuffmelee: + Doraki :foxmelee:
9. Lukahn :falcomelee:/:falconmelee: + Shigeru :sheikmelee:
9. Seya :icsmelee:/:mariomelee: + Jam :foxmelee:
9. MrFreeze :icsmelee: + Kirikou :sheikmelee:
9. Draxraven :sheikmelee:/:foxmelee: + Shloub :sheikmelee:/:marthmelee:
13. Dero :ganonmelee: + c.love :falconmelee:

Videos

Videos are being uploaded on LeFrenchMelee, France's Melee community Youtube channel, and a Smashboards thread will be available soon.

Photos

Students from ESIEE's photography club have taken many pictures of the event. You can find them here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/esieephoto/sets/72157629813296204/

Some other should be uploaded soon.

Feedback and shoutouts

Any feedback regarding the hosting is welcome! For this reason, the HF-Lan staff created a guestbook.. If you liked the tournament, make sure to leave a comment for them ;)

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
I enjoyed myself a lot and I look forward to returning to France soon. Everyone was friendly and I had some really good games. I'm disappointed by my placing seeing as I was beating so many people, but I plan on getting match up practice against Peach.

Shoutouts

Doraki - Thank you for housing us on the first night. It was great playing you, your Fox is very smart and good against Ice Climbers.

Ashura - It was great seeing you again, Your advice paid off well since SNY. I didnt get to play my Ice Climbers against you but you should watch the matches we have saved on the live stream http://fr.twitch.tv/aska_france/b/318873432 Tell me what you think.

Slhoka - It was a great event, Good job! I enjoyed our games a lot.

Aska - Very smart player. One of the hardest matches I played

(I can't remember his name, but he had a tag with KFC) - GGs I look forward to seeing you'r improvement.

JD - :D It went from you destroying me at SNY, to me 4 stocking you this time. As you can see I've been practising! You have to come to England before you go to Japan, I will try to Host a tournament in august so you guys can come.

Mahie - SALT!!!!! It was good playing you on the live stream I'm so happy it got recorded. Sorry I had to show by wobbling and spinning around. We didn't get to do out UK vs France Crew Battle: Me, Fuzzyness, Jolteon and Jam. VS You, Baxon, Charlon and JD. Next time!

Baxon - YOU'RE SCARED!!! Too bad we didn't get to play more. Next time we meet in bracket I will be sending you to the losers bracket. See you in London soon bro!

Charlon - Thank you very much for the housing! You're welcome to stay in England too. We didn't get to play many games, but hopefully we can play soon.

Even though I didn't understand any of it I enjoyed the French hype! Reminds me of how hyped us UK players are (SNY 50euro MM, Fuzzyness vs Armada) .

VOILA!!! BOOM!!!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Jolteon:

This was a really awesome tournament and for a first international experience it was great, also the French are a lot more hype than I thought. =) Your community is awesome and I had a lot of fun. The food/drinks were a good idea, venue staff are all really friendly and helpful so I will definitely attend another hf-lan.

Thanks Slhoka for running the tournament. Thank you to Charlon, Baxon and Doraki for housing us. Doraki your decorations are awesome. :p

X17the17th

Smash Cadet
I was really pleased to see people from Italy, Spain and England coming all the way to this tournament. I hope you all had a good time. If so, don't hesitate to spread the word about the HF-Lan series ! Hopefully, you guys and even more of your fellow countrymen will be able to make it to the next installment of the series (HF-Lan 4 will most likely be held in October).

For those eager to see some videos of the event, don't forget to check out LeFrenchMelee. All the videos of the singles bracket I had have been uploaded. Videos from the swiss rounds and teams bracket should be up soon.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
You make the best results/videos threads, Slhoka. Wish everyone else did it like this.
I agree.
Good job Slhoka =)
Thank you ! Make sure to tell me if you see anything I could improve.

LeFrenchMelee should have way more subscribers
Word.
Where was Salepâtè? (However its spelt).
Salepâte.
I had to choose between this and another event in the South of France. Considering the face that none of the players from Lyon were attending the tournament (a shame, considering it's the second best city in France), he decided not to come.

Jolteon:

This was a really awesome tournament and for a first international experience it was great, also the French are a lot more hype than I thought. =) Your community is awesome and I had a lot of fun. The food/drinks were a good idea, venue staff are all really friendly and helpful so I will definitely attend another hf-lan.

Thanks Slhoka for running the tournament. Thank you to Charlon, Baxon and Doraki for housing us. Doraki your decorations are awesome. :p
Ever since the first HF-Lan, I've been telling everyone "Trust me, they are the best hosts ever.", and no one has been disappointed. I really wanted OOC players to attend and turn this into the international event it deserves to be, and I'm very pleased to se you liked the tournament.
As X-17 said, the next installment will be in late Fall. I hope to see some of you guys there.

Slhoka - It was a great event, Good job! I enjoyed our games a lot.
So did. I had to stay really focused, otherwise I would get trashed, but I really liked these games as well. I had in mind your level at SNY, and I was wondering how much you improved... I sure wasn't disappointed. Keep going like that !

Also, I'd like to address a massive thank you to X-17 and Doraki, who are doing a great job recording the games and uploading them in good quality really quickly.
People thank me for hosting the event... most of the actual hosting was done by the ESIEE students. It's the same for LeFrenchMelee: I've been starting the project and coordinating what should be done with the channel, but X-17, Doraki and the other players that record games are the ones who make it really great.

Jackio

Smash Cadet
Haha I predicted that baxon would beat Fuzzy and that over would beat fuzzy in GFs ;D

Sad I couldn't make it and take revenge on Over ;<

Host a new one soon! (and everyone, please come to Smashers reunion ;D)

-leffen

Top Bottom