• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Crusade Series 1 (SKTAR Ruleset) Dakpo/806 crew attending!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
PLEASE BRING SETUPS IF YOU CAN! THIS WILL HELP THE TOURNAMENT RUN FAST AND SMOOTH. ALSO, PLEASE ARRIVE EARLIER THAN NOON; SIGNUPS START AROUND 11AM, SO THE EARLIER EVERYONE IS HERE, THE SOONER WE CAN START, THE SOONER WE CAN END AND ON TIME. THANKS IN ADVANCE! ^_^

Address: 6212 McCart Avenue, Fort Worth, TX 76133

Fees:

Venue - $5
Singles - $10
Doubles - $5
Low tier doubles - $5

Side event: Low tier doubles (SKTAR Ruleset)

Payouts for Singles/Doubles/LowTierDoubles:

19 or less entries: 70/20/10
20 or more entries: 60/30/10

SKTAR Ruleset!

Stagelist:

Neutrals (Starters) - Smashville, Battlefield, Final Destination

Counterpicks - Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 1

Rules:

- 3 stocks

- 10 minute timer

- Items set to Off and None

- Percentage and stage are the same if the game is restarted due to interrupted circumstances

- All Characters are allowed

- Best of 3 sets, all Finals matches are best of 5

- 1 stage ban per player/team for either Neutrals or Counterpicks

- Stage Striking: Rock/Paper/Scissors; loser strikes first from the Neutral stage list, then the winner strikes one of the two remaining neutrals; first game of the set is played from the remaining stage

- Team Attack On for Doubles event

- Double Meta Knight banned in Doubles event

- 40 Ledge Grab Limit per character; If the game goes to time, the winner will be decided in order by the ledge grab limit first (game loss is awarded to the player that goes over the lgl; if both players go over the lgl then then the lgl rule is ignored), then stock (most stocks wins), then by percentage (lower percentage wins).

- No Dave's Stupid Rule; the player can go back to the same stage as a counterpick he/she won on in a previous game of the set.

- Scrooging Rule: Must land on the main stage once before going under the stage twice

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
idk if I like the rules or not. Ok. I like everything but the stage list, both counter and starter lists. Makes olimar/diddy/ic too strong imo.

:phone:

Denti

Smash Master
I'm excited for this. Can't wait!

I need a low tier partner. I only want to enter low tier to trash talk and camp! who is down??? LOLOLOL

ALSM, you should advertise this tournament to other regions, Oklahoma, Houston, Austin, SA, Fort Worth (have infinity put it in the title), ect. Raise hypeee!!!

Also this is my favorite ruleset, ever. I don't care if it alters our metagame a little. We never should have been adapting our ruleset to balance the game for bad characters because that unbalances the whole game in other ways. All neutrals is fine.

scrub_nugget

Smash Apprentice
Some of Tyler can come if this ever gets bumped to a different date.

We're going to six flags like 2 days after this, so like, no money for it.

But if we go, razer, I main puff. I wanna low tier team with you. Puff team.

If I can't go then meh

scrub_nugget

Smash Apprentice
Labertrash is with me.

Sorry.

I will try everything in my power to make this and six flags.

I want that low tier dubs.

edit: this rule
- Stage Striking: Rock/Paper/Scissors; loser strikes first from the Neutral stage list, then the winner strikes one of the two remaining neutrals; first game of the set is played from the remaining stage
Is changing my life. Gonna be salty

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
if low tier doubles fee was increased slightly, i would love to go to this.

Trela

Smash Lord
I think raising it to $5 is the only way you're gonna get Houston to show up, sadly. Lol

You could also just switch out the main Doubles event with Low Tier. $25 for full entry into everything is usually unheard of nowadays, having such a smaller scene and all.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Remembered I won't be making it to this. Brother from the marines is coming in and we're going on family vacation.

Sorry ALSM... :( Next time fo sho.

Trela

Smash Lord
Yes, I apologize for being so inconsiderate to the players who have lost to us for the past MILLENNIUM.

Again, I apologize.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Remembered I won't be making it to this. Brother from the marines is coming in and we're going on family vacation.

Sorry ALSM... :( Next time fo sho.
:( Alright, understood.

So after taking consideration of everyone's input, I'll raise entry into low tier doubles to $5.

It's gonna be hype. Just out of curiosity and for potential hype purposes, who's teaming up for low tier doubles and/or doubles? Who's all showing up? Can I get a head count up in here?
It's a different ruleset to what we're used to guys; it must be fresh and exciting to try something new, eh? Plus, it will be good practice for those attending SKTAR in the summer. :):):)

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Oh, livestream would be awesome! I believe Denti has the necessary equipment to do so. And if we can make commentating happen, that would make my day! I'll see what I can do; I'll do my best. :)

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Awesome sauce then. I'll be watching the stream if it comes up.

I'm definitely expecting some razer vs. trela hype!

Dojo

Smash Champion
You should try doing advertisement around local areas to attract new players. DFW is such a huge area to work with and could be rebuilt easily. You just need the new faces to make it happen. Mikehaze did some amazing **** in Socal and practically revived it himself from what I hear/have seen. Hopefully he name searches and will share some stuff he did. I recall him doing a new player discount for people's first tournaments.

Getting people to travel long distances is becoming much more difficult now days for several reasons including money issues, housing issues, carpool's not getting formed. But individually each city can grow an extra 10-20 people each again. People need to take some initiative and I can't from where I am really. Imo, you guys (DFW) have the best bet of making that happen because you're all committed to traveling, playing, helping the scene out in general more commonly. There's more of you guys that are active more than anywhere else and can make DFW the place to be in smash again if you all help out a little bit. Someone's gotta take initiative though.

^This is all a result of me being bored at work.

Denti

Smash Master
Wooo! This is getting interest!

Also I guess I need a serious low tier partner now that it's 5$ lol.

edit: Also I don't think I'll be able to house for this. A ton of my extended family will be living with me. People should try Infinity's old apartment or possibly K bot's place. Sorry I can't be helpful, my house will already be full.

You should try doing advertisement around local areas to attract new players. DFW is such a huge area to work with and could be rebuilt easily. You just need the new faces to make it happen. Mikehaze did some amazing **** in Socal and practically revived it himself from what I hear/have seen. Hopefully he name searches and will share some stuff he did. I recall him doing a new player discount for people's first tournaments.

Getting people to travel long distances is becoming much more difficult now days for several reasons including money issues, housing issues, carpool's not getting formed. But individually each city can grow an extra 10-20 people each again. People need to take some initiative and I can't from where I am really. Imo, you guys (DFW) have the best bet of making that happen because you're all committed to traveling, playing, helping the scene out in general more commonly. There's more of you guys that are active more than anywhere else and can make DFW the place to be in smash again if you all help out a little bit. Someone's gotta take initiative though.

^This is all a result of me being bored at work.
Honestly lowering the entry fee money for new comers on fliers isn't going to help attendance. I remember you telling me about Mikehaze's thing. Mikehaze has sponsors and an actual place to advertise that will appeal to new smashers. Our difference is that DFW is such a massive place but that also gives trouble when narrowing down where to advertise in person. Most people won't travel more then 15 min to a tournament that they found on a random flier. So narrowing it down you have to think about where exactly to put noticeable fliers IRL that brawler's might go. Most businesses, like gamestop, won't allow you to put up fliers on their store. They tore all of mine down and told me not to do it again or consequences. Also.. I'm dead series, all fliers do is really get the interest of small children that won't likely return because they all got last place, free or not. Literally, all it does it bring in like 7 to 10 year olds + their parents.

What DFW needs to build it's scene up is to advertise online and at the venue, which is a gaming store. Those are going to be the most effective ways to bring in new people who will show up more than once and likely join our scene. What we need to do is have local gaming store's Facebook pages make a post advertising the tournament. This will get our word out to hundreds of gamers. Also the lower entry fee will probably work if we do this, but for random fliers around the town it won't gain anymore interest than the flier itself. Because the flier will bring in people once, and then they will get last and never see a flier again.

Also smashboards is intimidating for brand new comers. We should have an open Facebook page for DFW Brawling (Not the core, because that is a closed social group). We need a page for people to see stuff about the tournament posted on their Facebook wall. On the Facebook group page we should obviously have links to smashboards, we should tell them it has info to further their play. And IRL we should have a flier/paper that we hand to ALL new comers explaining that there is a competitive scene in DFW and how to get involved in our many tournaments.

Also, this is random, but I don't think the idea of a amateur bracket is a permanent fix. It's a temporary solution. All that will happen is people will feel worse for placing low and they still will never return. Then amateur bracket will get smaller and then the people who were actually winning a few sets will then be winning less. Even though they will get to play more games, quitters will be quitters. Instead of losing twice or three times they will get last or second to last slowly. It won't "help" our scene but it will ever so slightly slow down the problem of people being frustrated about placing low.

BAH

TLDR:

We need to advertise online on Facebook. We'll ask local gaming stores to post on their Facebook about the tournament. We'll make an open FB page, not The Core. Pass out fliers about competitive smash during the tournament. Lower entry fee to brand new people. Also amateur bracket is a temporary solution.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I never said anything about flyers. Mikehaze may have used them, but he used a lot of online advertisement among other things I'm sure. Reaching out to people at colleges is great too. I know they have a video game night at our university center once a week that Mumble was taking Brawl too and playing with about 10-15 randoms from here.... and this is San Angelo.

I like where you're heading with it and you have great ideas. The point is to put them in action. You're in the position to give your ideas a try and work different things out. So do it, and learn from mistakes. If ALSM, and others are willing to help you, your city will grow.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Interesting ideas. I've been working all week and then A-kon this weekend. After that, I'll see what I can do about better advertising even though I'll have like a week to work with. Yeah, any help would be appreciated; I really want to make this grow. :)

Labernash

Smash Lord
ALSM, I'll give you ONE DOLLA If you let me go Luigi in Low Tiers.

Might have money for this. Interested in trying out P:M.

Someone drag Labernash to this.
If I go, double Wario in Doubles. Free money know what I'm sayin.

Top Bottom