• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GDX & Next Level Lan Present: 5 Dollar Footdives - K.U.B. X Advent Edition

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
-= GDX and Next Level Lan Presents =-​

Kid, UR Bad: 5 Dollar Footdives Edition
(aka KUB)

5 Dollar Footdives?

This is a new tourney idea I've come up with to see how it works out. There is a lack of activity for brawl in CFL in general, and lack of cheap, credible tourneys in the FGC community. This series will attempt to combine them into a full day of fighting game fun and salt for everyone. Building the community, having fun, hyping dumb matches of games you may not even play, its what this tourney and competitive fighting games are all about.

For the month of June, we are doing a special hybrid tourney of Melee and Brawl with Advent's creator, Zoro. There may be more possible crossovers in the future, depending on the success of this one

Location & Time:

Venue opens: 11AM

Registration for every game will end 15 minutes before Brawl doubles, and 30 minutes before all other events. Things will actually start on time (or as close to humanly possible on time as a videogame tournament can be). If you do not think you will get here before registration ends for a game, have someone sign you up, or let me know well before the time limit so I can put you in myself.

Start Times:
Brawl Doubles & Melee Doubles: 12pm noon
Brawl Singles & Melee Singles: 4pm

At 8pm, we will start every individual game semis/finals. Every game will be played down to top 4-6 (depending on time constraints), which will then be saved for the finals section.

Next Level Lan
University Corporate Center
6947 Univeristy Blvd.
Winter Park, FL 32792
407-923-5883

NLL is in the middle of the chain of businesses with the big "X" on the banner of the store. Just check where a bunch of cars are. Parking allowed in rear (lol).

Coming off 417 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida, University Blvd.
Go straight down university heading for Full Sail. NLL is in the plaza on the right side of the street at the intersection of University Blvd and Forsyth Trail.

Coming off 408 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida - You stay on 408 till it literally turns into Challenger Parkway. Stay on Challenger Parkway until you reach the intersection of Challenger and Alafaya Tr.

Hang a right on Alafaya Tr.

Contiune on Alafaya Tr. until you reach the intersection of University and Alafaya. Turn left here and go down University until you reach the same area described in the 408 directions.

See Next Level LAN website at www.NextLevelLAN.com

Food:

Snacks and Food Available for Purchase at Next Level LAN (stock permitting)

- Pepsi Products (Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Teas, Juices, and more)
- Monster
- Vitamin Water
- Starbucks Frapachinos
- Chips (Lays Products)
- Candy (Lots of different Candy Bars, Airheads, etc etc)
- Moon pies, brownies, Etc.
- THERE IS A DRINKING FOUNTAIN.

Also located near our Plaza is:

Burger King
Pollo Tropical
Dunkin Doughnuts
Perkins
Taco Bell
McDonald's
Orlando Alehouse
Chinese food
Steak n Shake
...and more

Yes, you are allowed to bring outside food and drink into the store. Just dispose of it!

Cost:

Being 5 Dollar Footdives, you can imagine that everything is $5 each:

Door Fee: $5
Brawl Singles: $5
Brawl Doubles: $5
Melee Singles: $5
Melee Doubles: $5

For any singles event, if there are 20 or more entrants, payout percentages are as follows:
Singles Payouts A: 45/20/15/10/5/5
If there are 12-19 or less entrants, payout percentages are as follows:
Singles Payouts B: 50/25/15/10
If there are 8 or less, payouts will be 60/30/10

For Brawl & Melee doubles, anything over 8 teams will have the payout percentages:
Doubles Payouts A: 50/25/15/10
For Brawl & Melee doubles, for 7 teams or less:
Doubles Payouts B: 65/35

100% of the pot will go back out to the players. Absolutely no pot **** of any kind. You pay the door fee once, no matter how many games you enter. Spectating is free, but friendlies/casuals will always have to be stopped immediately for tourney matches when necessary

If you would like to play on the PCs within the computer portion of NLL, you will still have to pay for hours.

Rules:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

BRAWL RULES:
Rules= Stock
Stock = 3
Handicap = Off
Damage Ratio = 1.0
Friendly Fire = On
Self-destruct = -1
Items = Off

Both tournaments are Double Elimination as well as best two out of three with the finals best 3 out of 5.

This will be Unity Ruleset (aka MK banned) with the Apex Stagelist

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Pokemon Stadium 1

Super Smash Bros Melee

Five to Seven Rounds of Swiss:

32 players or less: 5 Rounds of Swiss
33 to 64 players: 6 Rounds of Swiss
More than 64 players: 7 Rounds of Swiss

All players are paired together randomly for the first round. They all play their matches, and report the results. Those who won their game in the first round receive 1 point and those who lost receive 0 points. Players with the same score are then paired together randomly for round 2. Repeat the process for round 3, etc. After 5 to 7 rounds of Swiss, players will be properly seeded for the following portion of the tournament.

Less than 24 players: Top 8 advance
24 - 63 players: Top 16 advance
64 or more players: Top 32 advance
Top 8/16/32 seeded players advance to double elimination bracket

If 2 players tie for last seed of 8/16/32 they will play a tiebreaker match, if 3 to 5 players tie they will play a round robin pool. If more than 5 players tie for a spot in the bracket it will be ranked by Opponents Win Percentage (OWP) this will be calculated by software. All other seeding will automatically be done by software.

All players are guaranteed at least five matches, you are only out of the regular tournament when the five rounds are completed and you do not make it into Top 8/16/32.

setups:

Setups are definitely going to be necessary. I am able to provide a full setup for Wii. We need 6 setups at the minimum per game. If you have a setup, or at least part of a setup, please bring it. Next Level Lan has some CRT tvs that aren't being used, so bring everything you can.

For those who do bring a full setup for any game (tv/monitor and system), you will get free door fee for the first 8 FULL WII SETUPS (wii/game disc). If you happen to bring one of each full setup, you can get free entry into a game as well

Misc Notes:
I will be putting the brackets on paper for every game. If someone could assist me with running a bracket for a game I may either not play, or may be busy with something else, it would be greatly appreciated.

I only ask that you commentate a game to where you could do serious commentary if you HAD to (aka you play the game). Aside from that, just bring hype to the commentary and I'm good. This isn't E-sports style

Any questions/comments/concerns feel free to post in here or AIM me at GameDragonX. If you get lost you can give me a call at 863-934-2355. you can also hit me up on Facebook under Keith Kelly

You can also join the facebook event at http://www.facebook.com/events/105526009588115/

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
this should be pretty fun. i havnt seen melee in awhile in person

Edit: Also melee will still be swiss, per regular advent events, but the entry will change this one time to door fee/entry being separate instead of coming out of the pot

pesticide

Smash Lord
Dang im busy the 9th. Ah well. Melee + brawl at the same time again should be cool. I dont think there's been a combo event like that in FL in a while

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I never played melee competitively before. So might as well do just friendlies on it.

Confirming to bring a full setup, btw.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
YES! I was just hoping for a tourney. Let's get the hype train going. SFL and west coast pls represent. Let's make this big.

Is it just me or is the 5$ tourney thing becoming a standard? Personally I prefer 10$ but that's just me.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
A higher fee would turn off the local and/or inexperienced players who don't want to risk too much just to gain experience or have fun. It's aimed more for a larger attendance.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
A higher fee would turn off the local and/or inexperienced players who don't want to risk too much just to gain experience or have fun. It's aimed more for a larger attendance.

On the contrary, for me a 5$ fee is a turnoff to people who have to drive further since there isn't as much to gain. I would be much more likely to drive 2-3 hours to attend a 10$ tourney than to do the same for a 5$ one. I don't think the turnoff to the different parts of FL is worth getting the few casuals who might still well show up if tourney was 10$. Idk. I always see New England as a good example since their monthlies get 60+ people every time. 10$ I think is the right balance between getting people from different parts of the region and getting casual locals

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
On the contrary, for me a 5$ fee is a turnoff to people who have to drive further since there isn't as much to gain. I would be much more likely to drive 2-3 hours to attend a 10$ tourney than to do the same for a 5$ one. I don't think the turnoff to the different parts of FL is worth getting the few casuals who might still well show up if tourney was 10$. Idk. I always see New England as a good example since their monthlies get 60+ people every time. 10$ I think is the right balance between getting people from different parts of the region and getting casual locals
Well then New England is doing some nasty promotions then. But I somewhat agree with you.
Just wait till Zoro comes around in Agust. He'll wake up the Melee community just like he did in August.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Hmmm, might enter Brawl. Will definitely enter Melee. It just depends on how much money I'm willing to spend.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I'm not entering doubles.

Also I didn't even know that we had a door fee until you brought it to my attention Vinyl. That's definitely going to factor into my decision to join Brawl.

EDIT: Also $25 is a lot of money to those among us who don't have a job. @_@

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Its not $25...$5 at the door and then $5 for any tourney u wanna enter. So if u wanna do both Melee and Brawl, it'll be $15.
Math, children.

Edit: of course if you bring a setup then just subtract the door fee.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
ULTIMATE HYPE Hopefully more of poinciana can make this! Jazz didn't even know there was KUB in may xD and my phone broke, meaning i have a new one. Anyone have his number?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
kinda sad there wont be an AE to play here...but its good to have a smash event of melee and brawl

who knows. I'll probably add melee singles into the rotation of KUB tourneys in the future most likely

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Nice! I'll be coming to this, cant wait :D

That place is smallllll though. How is it going to manage a brawl AND melee tourney? And last advent they started kicking us out of the main room so they could have magic the gathering....

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Nice! I'll be coming to this, cant wait :D

That place is smallllll though. How is it going to manage a brawl AND melee tourney? And last advent they started kicking us out of the main room so they could have magic the gathering....
We will have more room than the melee tourneys have. Also, K.U.B. usually has 5 events all in 1 day so I'm pretty sure Keith could easily handle 2.

True Blue

Smash Lord
No one has to lol. I just thought for once I would ask as a first. I am still always up for friendlies with people though. Just don't be that guy that plays friendlies for so many matches and then MM's afterwards. lol

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So the update today. I ate all of my money, so I won't be entering the tournament at all.
Not to mention that I got Fired in my first job, so I should be finding another one sooner or later.

I'll still come over and bring a full setup though. I'd be willing to go for a lot of friendlies, which will lead me to play better in Apex 2013.
That is, if I get the chance to, lol.

Top Bottom