• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Austin, TX Melee Circuit : Tchaikovsky's Ice Tea Sonata

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
The UT Austin Smash Club presents
Tchaikovsky's Iced Tea Sonata

Austin Melee Circuit Tournament
Saturday, July 21, 2012

Suite 426
2400 Inner Campus Drive
Austin, TX 78712

Biological Laboratories 301 (BIO 301), University of Texas Austin
This building is off 24th Street, directly NW of the University Tower. The room is downstairs of the main floor.
[collapse="shot of the building"]
[/collapse]
If you need help with directions, housing, concerns, or issues:
Jose (JOS.fm) (210) 420-3619 TO
Matthew (MT) (713) 302-7592 TO

Parking
There is parking on San Jacinto and 23rd, that area. Be careful that it does
not have a sign that reads UT PERMIT REQUIRED AT ALL OTHER TIMES. There's also parking behind the Texas Museum/IMAX theater on MLK and Congress, which would be 18th and 17th streets. These are a 10 min. walk from the venue.
If you wanna ensure parking, get there like at 9AM to San Jacinto and I guess hang around the school or at MT's until it's time for the tournament.
You can drop off any players/equipment at the venue then park.
[collapse="parking map"]
[/collapse]

SCHEDULE

Saturday, July 21, 2012
Doors Open/Registration Begins - 11:00 AM
Doubles Registration Ends - 1:00 PM
Doubles Begin - 2:00 PM
Singles Registration ends - 2:00 PM (Noon)
Singles Begins - 3:00 PM

PRICE
Venue fee - $5*
Singles - $10
Doubles - $10 per team

*waived if you bring a setup (TV, GC/Wii, Melee)

PAYOUT

SINGLES

IF no. of entrants is less than 24
1st = 60%
2nd = 30%
3rd = 10%

ELSEIF no. of entrants is less than 32
1st = 60%
2nd = 25%
3rd = 10%
4th = 5%

ELSE
1st = 55%
2nd = 25%
3rd = 10%
4th = 5%
5th = 2.5%

DOUBLES
1st = 60%
2nd = 30%
3rd = 10%

Setups
We have about 6 setups. Please bring setups! If you bring a setup your venue
fee will be waived.
*A setup consists of a CRT TV, copy of Melee, and a Gamecube or Wii with the necessary cables.

GENERAL RULES

• Items are set to off
  • The number of stock is set to 4
  • The time limit is set to 8 minutes
  • All Bracket Sets will be best of 5 matches
  • Pause is set to off
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • Double Elimination
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR): No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a stock and percentage tie, a one-stock match will be played.
  • Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: Fountain of Dreams)

Additional Rules for Double's Play

• Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Tournament Specific Rules

• The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • The Mage's DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 5 minutes late he will receive a warning. At 8 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 12 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. No pleas will be taken into consideration.
  • If there is a dispute, it must be settled before the start of the next match.
  • MikeHaze rule: No yelling or making abrupt noises at your opponent.
  • Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.
  • No Coaching is permitted during a match.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

• Double Elimination Bracket for both Singles and Doubles
  • Should there be less than 6 entrants to either events, a round robin tournament will be preferred
  • ALL sets are best of 5 matches

Set Format (in order of procedure)

1. Players may agree to play with MBR5 shortened stage list only. If this is the case, then there are no stage bans for either player.
  2. To select the first stage, players strike from the 5 starter stages (blue)using the pattern P1-P2-P2-P1
  3. After the first round, the winning player may permanently ban two stages from the complete Stage List. The losing player will then select a counter-stage from the remaining choices. Players only make their 2 bans after their first win of the set. They do not get additional bans for each win.
  4. The winning player will select his character, then the losing player will select his character.
  5. A player may not select a stage he/she banned him/herself. No stage may be played twice, unless both players agree.
  6. Play proceeds in this fashion until the set is complete.

Singles Stage List
Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Mute City

Doubles Stage List
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom 2
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Kongo Jungle 64

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Last I heard we have three from Dallas - Sethlon, Rob and myself. Either way, Dallas is coming.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Looks like Adam is interested too. Can we grab housing from anyone? Might be coming in Friday, maybe sat morning. Either way we'll be leaving midday/afternoon sunday.

MT_

Smash Ace
I'll be more than happy to house Dallas from Friday night to Sunday or whatever you guys might need in between then. I have a futon and a lot of (wooden) floor space, so as long as you guys bring sleeping bags/blankets/pillows it should be good. Can't stay til Monday though as I have a busy summer school schedule and need Sunday night to be peaceful haha.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
If so, are we interested in testing out megabus? It looks like tickets would be about $12 RT at most, which is better than our usually $20 each for gas. And we would also need a ride in Austin, anyone can hook us up?

MT, would you be able to drive Dallas if we took the bus?

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't personally have a car but I'm 100% sure that someone in our scene can pick you guys up.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
someone let me know on facebook some kinda specific times as i would need to work around my schedule if i'm to help out. i have a car, can maybe drive 3 people or 4 tiny people. i can house a couple of guys provided they don't want to have a smashfest at my place. a nice dinner with some chianti may be provided instead.

HYPE

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Can you give an address?
Updated OP with physical address.

The physical address of the building we're in will help in directing you to the campus, but I would highly recommend taking a good look at the campus map or bringing a copy of one with you when navigating to the venue, as the address of the building itself probably won't help you identify it among the many other buildings on campus.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Um, ****, I'm not sure if I can make it anymore - I may have to move that weekend...gotta find an apartment first...

Jake13

Smash Lord
Only because MT told me the acronym for this tourney is **** was I able to get of werk for it

Therefore thank MT scrubs

:phone:

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Of course son I'm down sethlon! I should have that day off and if I do prepare to get rocked! :)

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I'll be staying in Leander which is 30 min away from the venue if I'm not mistaken. I should be able to get a ride, but if not I'll get back on here asap with a request for a one.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I will not miss this! Prepared to do a good quality livestream at www.twitch.tv/noc0002. Again, I probably cannot supervise the stream the whole time so may need some kind souls to help with simple things like updating tags, changing scenes, and keeping an eye on viewer chat. And I have two mics if people confident in their commentary skills want to commentate.

emilywaves

Smash Apprentice
Sorry honies, I can't make it, I'm moving to a new tiny apartment in Euless (right between Fort Worth and Dallas near the airport). I'll be at the next one.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
PGH Carrol who are you exactly? I don't mean anything by it just wondering...

Top Bottom