• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Cancel Stuff

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
All inputs listed will assume default controls on the GCC. ie if I say B, I mean special, and whatever button you have on whatever controller you're using will work as long as it is set to the same command.

Platform Cancel (henceforth known as PC) - While travelling through the platform from below, your character will stop rising and will now be standing on the platform.
Inputs: Hold down on the analog stick. While rising through the platform, let go of the analog stick. If timed correctly you will perform a platform cancel.
Alternative inputs:
- While holding down, press A.
- Press down on the C-stick.
- While holding down on the analog stick, press any direction on the C-stick. (It is recommended that you press the direction on the C-stick that corresponds to your least laggy aerial)
- While holding down on the analog stick, TAP (ie press and immediately let go of) shield/Z. If done correctly your character will not shield.
*If you choose one of the alternative options that involves holding down on the analog stick and then pressing something else, and you continue to hold down for even a few frames after the PC, your character will crouch.

PC--> instant dash - Same as PC, but instead of standing on the platform your character will immediately begin to run.
Inputs: Hold down+forward (at a 45 degree angle) on the analog stick. While rising through the platform, press one of the following directions on the C-stick: Up, Back, or anywhere in between.
*Holding down+forward on the analog stick and pressing any direction on the C-stick that is outside the aforementioned 90 degree interval will cause your character to crawl. If your character cannot crawl, they will crouch.
*Holding down+back on the analog stick and pressing any direction on the C-stick will cause your character to crawl backwards. If your character cannot crawl backwards, they will crouch.
*Obviously, press Z at the very end and you'll PC --> instant dash grab.

PC--> instant walk - Same as PC, but instead of standing on the platform your character will immediately begin to walk.
Inputs: Hold forward on the analog stick. While rising through the platform, press down on the C-stick. You can also press diagonally down+left/right. As long as a down command is inputted by the C-stick, it will work.
*If you hold back instead of forward on the C-stick, your character will immediately pivot then begin to walk.

PC-->instant shield - Same as PC, but instead of standing on the platform your character will immediately put up their shield.
Inputs: Hold down on the analog stick. While rising through the platform, press shield/Z (remember, if you TAP the shield button/Z button, your character will NOT shield)
*If you hold diagonally down as opposed to straight down, your character will pop up their shield and immediately tilt their shield in the according lateral direction.
*If you press and hold shield (not Z, it doesn't work with Z) and press A/Z, you can shield grab. However, if you press A/Z immediately after you begin pressing shield you'll PC------->dtilt so you have to wait for a split second (not very long)

PC--> instant dropthrough (henceforth referred to as PCDT) - Same as PC, but instead of standing on the platform your character will immediately fall through.
Inputs: While rising through the platform, SMASH down on the analog stick (as if you were trying to do a downsmash) and press shield/Z.
*This one is VERY hard to perfect, imo. It took me 2 hours in training mode to get the timing down and even then I only had it about 40% of the time.
This is, imo, a very useful technique. It's a good way to mindgame your opponent and net some damage or even kill, like this or this.
*I'm not sure (ie I heard that it's true but I can't do it myself) that you can use shield+down on C-stick to do this.

PC--> instant dsmash - Same as PC, but instead of standing on the platform your character will immediately dsmash.
Inputs: Hold down on the analog stick. While rising through the platform, press any direction on the C-stick that does NOT have a down input (ie left, right, up, up+left, up+right) and press Z/A IMMEDIATELY after. Hold Z/A to charge.

PC--> instant dtilt - Same as PC, but instead of standing on the platform your character will immediately dtilt.
Inputs: Same as for instant dsmash, but use a C-stick direction that DOES involve a down input (ie down, down+left, down+right)
Alternative:
-Same as instant dsmash, but DELAY the Z/A (this is because you have to wait for your character to begin crouching)
- (Any way to PC) --> wait for crouch--> A/Z/down on C-stick while crouching.
*Alternatives are not recommended for this because they don't come out as quickly as the first listed input. In other words, only the first is a truly INSTANT dtilt.

PC-->instant downB - Same as PC, but when your character begins standing on the platform they will immediately downB.
Inputs: Hold down on the analog stick. While rising through the platform, press the B button.

Well, that's it for the inputs.

Keep in mind that you cannot do ANY of these on non-moving platforms, as you can only PC on moving platforms and all of the others are just PC-->instant something.

Here is a list of the legal stages in the Unity Ruleset with platforms that you can PC
-Smashville - At any time
-Lylat Cruise - All 3 platforms can be PCed at any time, except when the ship is reentering the atmosphere (when the bottom of the ship catches fire)
-Yoshi's Island: Brawl - Only while the platform is rotating, pretty situational
-Rainbow Cruise - Omg SO MANY platforms can be PCed here, if somebody could get me a picture of RC I'd love to point them out. Simply put, it's every platform that you can pass through from both above and below, at any time.
-PS1&PS2 - Only when the stage is transforming and the platforms are rising/falling (pretty situational)
-Delfino Plaza - Like PS1/PS2, only when the stage is transforming and the platforms are rising/falling.

I think that's it. Enjoy! :)

Change log
July 7th, 2012 - Add lime colouring for easier reading. Added PS1&PS2, and Delfino Plaza to stages whose platforms can be platform cancelled (thanks to allshort17 and C.J.). Changed some wording for clarity. Added PC-->instant downB. Created change log. ;)

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
It's really nice to see all the platform cancel commands in one place. Very helpful imo.

I keep hearing different methods/ways to do the PC--> instant dropthrough, like this for instance. All this is getting confusing :\.

I never knew about the instant downsmash one though. I'm going to have to practice that.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Good stuff. I'll try some of the instant ways to Dsmash. You can technically PC on Frigate when the platform on the first transformation is going up or down. Also, you can PC on PS1 and PS2 when the main platforms are move for a different transformation (I forgot whether it's when they are going away or coming back. It could be both.) All highly situational but hey, knowledge is knowledge.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
^
I'm almost positive you're wrong about the Frigate thing. You can only platform cancel on platforms that you can travel through from above AND from below (ie like the platforms on BF, NOT like the main stage of Delfino) that are moving.

The Frigate platform on the right of the first transformation may be moving, but you can't pass through from above. Thus, you can't platform cancel it.

zmx

Smash Lord
I thought you could only PC on Lylat when the stage was tilting or something? Are you sure about that one?

Anyway, great guide. I'll be sure to use this when I stop being lazy and learn to platform cancel efficiently. If only it had more practical uses instead of being flashy, I'd definitely be much more interested.

C.J.

Smash Master
Almost right- you can PC on Lylat anytime you want EXCEPT when the ship is reentering the atmosphere (when the bottom of the ship catches on fire).

Also, you can PC the platforms on Delphino when it's landing/taking off just like you can PC on PS1/2 when it's changing.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Yo... I didn't know the inputs for d-smash/d-tilt.
This day keeps getting better and better.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Yeah I learned a lot during the actual process of making this thread. I was testing in training mode to find all the possible inputs and, in doing so, found out about the instant walk, instant dtilt, and the ZSS sideB-nB stale thingy.

Top Bottom