• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Falcon could have been a combo machine in Brawl had it not been for the pitiful reduction in hitstun. That said, they really need to restore his hitboxes too, because frankly, his Brawl incarnation was absolutely butchered.

As for projectiles, I only see that happening if they add move customizations, but I'll get to that at another time.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yes, he needs bigger hitboxes.

Badly.

Oh, and his Final Smash needs to be similar to his final Falcon Punch...and it should just end the game right there.

crow95

Smash Cadet
I kinda liked the Blue Falcon Ultrasmash.. CF would be fine with some better hitboxes, better frame data and at least a bit hitstun on some moves so he can use his combo potential.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
They'll almost certainly buff him, especially with proper balance support this time around.

He'll probably have a very similar moveset with bigger hitboxes and more hitstun.

Projectile is still possible, they'd have to have more move slots though. I can't see them getting rid of Punch/Raptor Boost/Falcon Kick

BSP

Smash Legend
That's a good point. Maybe they'll add B+A moves or something, but that'd be a huge change, and I don't think Smash will be seeing any traditional fighter inputs anytime soon.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I think the question is -what- would Falcon have for a projectile?

And yes, I think he needs a massive buff in terms of power, as well as adding back the old fair sweetspot.

BSP

Smash Legend
I believe he had a gun that green holster before. Obviously, he's never used it so we don't know what it does.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
I believe he had a gun that green holster before. Obviously, he's never used it so we don't know what it does.
He used it once on a comic that came with the original F-Zero.

I don't remember well but I think it was simply a laser gun.

I'd like for his hitboxes to be bigger yes.

Oh and they HAVE to put this as one of his music tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLhG7ExTpbc

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
also, he needs more priority and higher hitboxes... dunno
You're right. I mean, his hitboxes are only mediocre in the air, and even more poor on the ground, and without L-Canceling, and a harder-to-sweetspot Fair, his knee is nowhere near as useful as it was in Melee. They really messed up Falcon, and I am really hoping they fix this problem in Smash 4. I mean, even his kill power is nerfed, as if nerfing his hitboxes weren't bad enough.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
...And a projectile couldn't hurt...but we know he's too manly to think about using one.
Agreed. But is it just me or does he have a gun holster in his brawl design? (Same thing with Snakes Gun, Shieks Knife, and Ganon's Sword)
Only thing that would make him cooler maybe is Using the falcon punch in the air adds more horizontal recovery.
FARUKOOON PAAWWWWNCCHHHHH!!!!
An Insta kill from halfway cross the screen.
The intense air turbulence formed by his fist is enough to knock players off the stage clinging for their lives on the ledge.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
basically as everyone state, the actual game has to be changed to incorporate Cap's offensive playstyle,which hurt him in the more defensively designed Brawl. the return of his Falcon kick reset would be nice too. and one the topic of Projectiles:

yeah. however, I feel he works better as a rushdown type, so he doesn't really need the blaster.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
I think we can all agree that his final smash should be changed and it should incorporate Toriko.

Falcon Kugi Punch!!! - Toriko's intimidation appears over Captain Falcon stunning all enemies for a few seconds allowing Captain Falcon to connect a Falcon Punch to the opponent of his choice. This Falcon Punch turns out to be a Falcon Kugi Punch!!! though.

Think this but every hit being a Falcon Punch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqxF7gDRE0g

BSP

Smash Legend
He should keep the blue falcon initial hit, but do the falcon punch he did on the ROB in the SSE.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
No.

His Final Smash should remain as it is cause It is the only thing from his moveset that actually comes from his game.

Why change it.
Yeah, it was a joke. Obviously Toriko won't have any part in Smash Bros. and as awesome as it is it shouldn't have any part in Smash Bros. I like BSP's idea though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think Falcon should be a good character again and that his FS would be the amazingly epic Falcon Punch from Falcon Densetsu.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Captain Falcon is a projectile.

Just make him scarier, like his Melee incarnation.

The best added flavor to Captain Falcon would be too change Gannondorf's copycat moves.

BSP

Smash Legend
Captain Falcon is a projectile.

Just make him scarier, like his Melee incarnation.

The best added flavor to Captain Falcon would be too change Gannondorf's copycat moves.
That's one thing I forgot about. If the game has more shield stun, Falcon will probably be more than capable of pressuring the opponent will his fast aerials and high running speed. A projectile couldn't hurt, but it's not absolutely vital either.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
That's one thing I forgot about. If the game has more shield stun, Falcon will probably be more than capable of pressuring the opponent will his fast aerials and high running speed.
This is true. In Brawl, his only real effective way to approach on the ground is his Dash Attack, which is very easily Shield Grabbed. As for his Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost, those are even worse, as they're clearly telegraphed (though Falcon Kick is faster), and in the case of Falcon Kick, it's knockback is so poor, he can be punished even if he lands the hit successfully. Add to the fact that they can both be Shield Grabbed, and you've got a character with one of the worst ground games in Brawl.

I'd say for Nintendo to fix that issue in Sm4sh, but I'm sure Namco-Bandai has that covered, or so I assume.

BSP

Smash Legend
If you're talking ground game, you have to talk about his terrible hitboxes too.

As for Falcon being similar to Ganon, I think if the game's pace is sped up a bit, they'll both feel unique. Sure, they've got similar animations, but the two play totally different. Falcon should be the fast rushdown combo machine, while Ganon should be a good deal slower but hitting a lot harder.

Unless...Ganon decides to pull his sword out...and use it.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
He should keep the blue falcon initial hit, but do the falcon punch he did on the ROB in the SSE.
You mean when he drives by in his ship, ejects and crashed into ROB at 300mph with a falcon Punch?
It would be awesome if the falcon Punch had more momentum in the air.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If you're talking ground game, you have to talk about his terrible hitboxes too.
Oh, without a doubt. His jabs and tilts are short ranged (his Up Tilt is decent at best), His smashes are telegraphed and easily punishable, and his grab range is horribly small, meaning he can hardly shield grab anyone, thus giving him poor OoS options. When his best ground options are what I listed in my last post, you know there's a problem. His running grab isn't even good, and from what I've experienced, his pivot grab seems to be slower than his normal grab, and lacks range too.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
This is true. In Brawl, his only real effective way to approach on the ground is his Dash Attack, which is very easily Shield Grabbed. As for his Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost, those are even worse, as they're clearly telegraphed (though Falcon Kick is faster), and in the case of Falcon Kick, it's knockback is so poor, he can be punished even if he lands the hit successfully. Add to the fact that they can both be Shield Grabbed, and you've got a character with one of the worst ground games in Brawl.

I'd say for Nintendo to fix that issue in Sm4sh, but I'm sure Namco-Bandai has that covered, or so I assume.
Oh, without a doubt. His jabs and tilts are short ranged (his Up Tilt is decent at best), His smashes are telegraphed and easily punishable, and his grab range is horribly small, meaning he can hardly shield grab anyone, thus giving him poor OoS options. When his best ground options are what I listed in my last post, you know there's a problem. His running grab isn't even good, and from what I've experienced, his pivot grab seems to be slower than his normal grab, and lacks range too.

good god! falcon sucks *** in brawl!

BSP

Smash Legend
You mean when he drives by in his ship, ejects and crashed into ROB at 300mph with a falcon Punch?
It would be awesome if the falcon Punch had more momentum in the air.
Yes.

The momentum thing is a game engine thing. We'll just have to wait and see. Falcon as a character would benefit greatly from momentum being re-introduced (it shouldn't have left lol)

@Sol- yeah, his pivot grab is slower than the other two for some reason

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I feel like I say this about a lot of characters, but anything close to the Melee version will be very nice. Falcon should just be a high-flying, face-smashing, combo-master sexy man.

Revven

FrankerZ
Falcon suffered from the engine changes. That's it. If they make the game closer to Melee, he'll be fine. But if they don't, then yeah, he's still gonna suck.

Additionally, his hitboxes aren't really that small at all. Everybody in Brawl has huge hitboxes, even Falcon does. Saying you want them to be bigger makes me... facepalm. Size down everyone else's hitboxes, including Falcon's, and then he won't have stupid priority problems.

Buuuuuuut it's Sakurai so I have no faith still. Even with Namco Bandai, I really doubt they're gonna have much say.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Falcon's aerials in terms of hitbox sizes are okay, but the hitbox placement and lack of priority are what hurts his aerial game, and his aerials are much stronger than his ground game, because the hitboxes for many of his ground attacks are crap, be it range, priority or both.

BSP

Smash Legend
Additionally, his hitboxes aren't really that small at all. Everybody in Brawl has huge hitboxes, even Falcon does. Saying you want them to be bigger makes me... facepalm. Size down everyone else's hitboxes, including Falcon's, and then he won't have stupid priority problems.
I disagree. For one, his Ftilt misses some of the shorter characters completely unless you angle it down, and his Knee sweetspot is way too small. Even if the game had hitstun, it'd be extremely difficult to sweetspot with it.

But the engine change is what hurt him the most, you're right about that. If that's changed, that'll put him back on the track to being good immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom