• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I hope the Wii U Zelda comes out before this smash does so they use that Link. Otherwise we get Skyward Sword Link and his lips.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
They'll probably go with Skyward Sword Link since its a design smash hasn't used for Link yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Link would have been a decent character in every Smash Bros if it weren't for his God awful recovery. For whatever reason, they only make it slightly better with each installment so I hope he doesn't get snuffed again.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Link would have been a decent character in every Smash Bros if it weren't for his God awful recovery. For whatever reason, they only make it slightly better with each installment so I hope he doesn't get snuffed again.
Maybe now with Skyward Word.... Sky, Link will loss weight and have a better recovery

FirePit

Smash Rookie
Link is good for messing up ppl's minds and setups. He's a good character just have to spend time with him. His recovery does sucks and he can get gimp very badly, but you gotta find ways around it... one thing that upsets me tho is that he was MADE to be a fighter but he's soooo low on each game.. come on Nintendo lol but he's still my main

I hope the Wii U Zelda comes out before this smash does so they use that Link. Otherwise we get Skyward Sword Link and his lips.
his lips are.... fabulous lol... jk they make him look girly... :(

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Heres what link needs in smash 4:

His smash 64 air movement(it was pretty good)

His melee recovery(make it better)

His skyward sword dash(please.........)

And add on a little of something else, and he'll be good.

Sarix

Smash Ace
If they do use his skyward sword incarnation (which wouldn't surprise me, and I'm not really for it) they should definitely make his aerial spin slash not only go higher but go into gliding with the sailcloth for a recovery. Other then that make his attacks a bit faster and maybe change his Uair to swipe similar to his Utilt so he can juggle better. Just my two cents.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Because of Skyward Sword, I generally see this character being lighter and faster overall, with a MUCH quicker dash. Wonder if such a change in design would leave room for Toon Link?

It would be cool if they gave him a dash attack where he double kicks the opponent in the face and leaps back, similar to how he can run up walls in Skyward Sword.

I could also see a New Special Fall animation based on the Skyward Sword "dive".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well seeing that he's much more quicker and agile in Skyward Sword. I guess that could mean that his playstyle may be more like Toon Link this time around. Which I'm all for it since I way prefer Toon Link's playstyle over every other Link in the series.

I wonder what they would do with his side B though. Would he get a boomerang, or a different weapon? I vote for the whip, Spirit Tracks style.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
If they base it off of Skyward Sword the beatle is the boomerang there. Perhaps it could grab items for Link and be controllable like PK Thunder but different and maybe only controllable for a moment like Pit's arrows.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Surprised no one has mentioned the possibility that he will largely go unchanged and simply dawn the Wii U HD demo style.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Surprised no one has mentioned the possibility that he will largely go unchanged and simply dawn the Wii U HD demo style.
I don't know about that. Skyward Sword Link does look a little bit different from Twilight Princess Link imo. Sure it isn't as huge as NES Link to SNES Link or N64 Link to Toon Link but it's still out there.

If they base it off of Skyward Sword the beatle is the boomerang there. Perhaps it could grab items for Link and be controllable like PK Thunder but different and maybe only controllable for a moment like Pit's arrows.
That's possible too and I guess the most logical. And if they were to make Toon Link playable and finally declone him from Link, he could have his whip instead... Or just the plain old Boomerang.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The less they refer to Skyward Sword the better.
I wouldn't mind being able to roll the bombs.

Also after playing twilight princess and unlocking the ability to attach bombs to my arrows to make exploding arrows I immediately tried this out in brawl...sadly it didn't work.
The strange thing though is that you have the ability to Pull out a bomb and then pull out your bow and arrow or boomerang while still having the bomb equipped.

So what I would like to see is the ability to attach bombs onto your arrows by inputting the Bomb first and then activating the bow and arrow.

Ditch that Hurricane boomerang. (Maybe when the boomerang is used while Link is in motion it locks onto opponents Like Samus' Missiles do whenever Samus is Moving?)

And who wouldn't love to see the bug net as an alternate weapon XD. I loved using that in Soul Calibur 2!
Speaking of which Link's fully charges spin attack in SC2 would add flames to his sword, a fully charged sword spin should have more of a bonus like that.

Oh! and I believe in either melee or smash 64 if you pressed A quickly enough Link would do a rapid sword attack like captain falcons punches or fox's kicks.
It would be nice to see that make a return.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
I was going to mention that since his moveset hardly ever changes (if there were changes they'll probably just improve certain attacks).

Oh! and I believe in either melee or smash 64 if you pressed A quickly enough Link would do a rapid sword attack like captain falcons punches or fox's kicks.
It would be nice to see that make a return.
I still don't understand why this wasn't included in Brawl, that's like a downgrade there. I always wondered if it was because he wasn't Ocarina Link since TP Link isn't the same Link =/.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ooo Dakota that Bomb Arrow idea is smashing. <3 That would be a wonderful addition! ^_^ Adds to his character and makes total sense.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would support the Skyward look and feel.

More mobile. Bombs that can be rolled. Beetle that acts like a boomerang, but can pick up items or bombs. Maybe a whip for a grab.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
His boomerang would have been awesome if it could have been used to edge guard effectively by blowing the opponents back without hitting them.

Haxeye

Smash Cadet
Link could use a near total revamp to be honest (same as Ganondorf). I'm frankly sick of Link being low or bottom tier in every single fighting game he has appeared in. I'd give him the SS design, buff his mobility, replace one of his specials with the skyward strike that can stored for a short while and can be released along with or following regular attacks to setup combos, juggle opponents or used in approaches. Then I'd give him the SS whip as a side B which could be used to redirect projectiles when timed properly, as another tether recovery along with the clawshot and to grab and pull opponents towards you again to facilitate combos. Add bomb rolling and improve his up B recovery then he'd be set.

Link could use a few changes to make him good in his own element, that being on the ground.

Link should be able to put his bombs down just like in his game. When you have a bomb hit down B again to put it down, if you smash down b while you have a bomb he can roll it. Simple enough.

For a more complex idea Link should be able to bash with his shield like in Skyward Sword. While Shielding, if you hit A+B simultaneously he'll do a shield thrust. It deflects projectiles if timed correctly, but you still suffer from the same stun that projectile would give you if you were to shield it. When you bash an attack the opponent just suffers from minor stun and slides away, you still suffer from the same stun of the attack (Doesn't work on aerials) It has short wind up and a laggy cool down so it has to be used with timing.

Link could also have a chargeable and launchable Spin attack. You can charge and release just like in Brawl, or you can exercise more options when you charge to max. When you charge to max you can hold it forever by holding down B and release it when you want, you can also walk slowly forward and backward while you are holding a charge just like in most Zelda games. Or you could hit L or R to hold the charge (Like a charge shot) and hit Up B to launch it. It would be a spiraling energy shot that is slow and dissipates at about two sword lengths. The "Skyward Strike" is used for damage, the "Spin Attack" is for KO's and finishers. This way Link has token abilities from his new and older franchises.

I honestly think my first idea is easy enough, the other two seem a bit too complicated. Imagine how good his ground game would be though. : )

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Link could use a few changes to make him good in his own element, that being on the ground.

Link should be able to put his bombs down just like in his game. When you have a bomb hit down B again to put it down, if you smash down b while you have a bomb he can roll it. Simple enough.

For a more complex idea Link should be able to bash with his shield like in Skyward Sword. While Shielding, if you hit A+B simultaneously he'll do a shield thrust. It deflects projectiles if timed correctly, but you still suffer from the same stun that projectile would give you if you were to shield it. When you bash an attack the opponent just suffers from minor stun and slides away, you still suffer from the same stun of the attack (Doesn't work on aerials) It has short wind up and a laggy cool down so it has to be used with timing.

Link could also have a chargeable and launchable Spin attack. You can charge and release just like in Brawl, or you can exercise more options when you charge to max. When you charge to max you can hold it forever by holding down B, you can also walk slowly forward and backward while you are holding a charge just like in most Zelda games. Or you could hit L or R to hold the charge and hit Up B to launch it. It would be a spiraling energy shot that is slow and dissipates at about two sword lengths.

I honestly think my first idea is easy enough, the other two seem a bit too complicated. Imagine how good his ground game would be though. : )

EPF what are you doing here.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Link should really get back his Melee recovery, as it was much better than what Brawl offered. In fact, I think nearly every aspect for Link needs to be fixed.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Link will never be great in a 30 plus roster when the main developers seem to have no control over his balancing. Of all things, why would anyone in Nintendo not allow Sakurai to balance Link himself? Not that he would have done at better job, it seems to me Link was made the way he was without knowing what the other characters were capable of. If the same thing applies to Smash4 there really is no hope for him.

:phone:

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I think your over thinking a few of those things
Like for instance why dont you make it that if your holding a bomb and you use Bdown link simply rolls it. BUT if you use Bdown in THE AIR then he'll drop it gently down to the floor?
This can of course be used with a short hop for the effect your thinking of.

And i dont see why you'd have to go through all that trouble just to make his shield bash?
You can simply replace his Ftilt with the bash?
I doubt anyone would miss links Ftilt as it is.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I don't think links moves need to be changed all that much so much as made more effective. His spin could bring him a little higher and hold people in better while in the air making the combo more effective. His bombs could be made to be thrown further or a little more powerful and a bit faster to pull out. His boomerang could be made to push and pull enemy's and do no damage making it effective for setting things up and edge guarding. Have link fire bomb arrows if he fires a arrow while holding a bomb. Make link a bit quicker and higher of a jumper. Little things like these would go a long way.

I think your over thinking a few of those things
Like for instance why dont you make it that if your holding a bomb and you use Bdown link simply rolls it. BUT if you use Bdown in THE AIR then he'll drop it gently down to the floor?
This can of course be used with a short hop for the effect your thinking of.

And i dont see why you'd have to go through all that trouble just to make his shield bash?
You can simply replace his Ftilt with the bash?
I doubt anyone would miss links Ftilt as it is.

Link can drop the bomb gently in the air, so can everyone in the game with the Z button lol. I know how to drop bombs on the ground and on platforms, but for a casual player that's too hard to do considering the spacing and timing required, that and it would be simple to implement since Samus has a side B and smash B. And if you're gonna drop a bomb from the sky you may as well have it blow up.

Second Link's F tilt is one of his best kill moves and poke. It works just like Marth's F smash without the tipper and hits from behind as well. The delay on it makes it hard to perfect shield. If link doesn't have his f tilt he wont have a solid normal that gives decent knock back and damage. Besides his jab he doesnt have a good range game

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Lol woops srry forgot to mention how the Bdown bomb drop would be different from the one in midair,
You see the Zbotton bomb drop lets go of the bomb and the bomb falls slowly to the ground and then blows up on impact.
With the Bdown bomb drop link would place the bomb beneath his feet and it would then fall at dedede's FF speed and land gently on the gound without blowing up,
And of caurse on the way down it would ignore all contact with players projectiles ect.
And then it would wait out its timer on the ground then blow up, much like if you had rolled it only without the horizontal speed.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Link will be a Triple character, which means to conserve space, all three of his characters “Twilight Link”, “Young Link”, & “Toon Link” will share one character spot, to alternate a L/R button will be used before you exit the character screen.

Twilight Link will be accompanied by Midna & will allow him to be able to switch in & out of Wolf Form like Zelda & Sheik does.

Young Link will have 3 of 4 of his masks from LOZ: Majora’s Mask available for use: Goron, Zora, Deku, which he will be able to transform into like Zelda & Sheik as well, but alternating will be tricky since it is one character turning into three different.

Toon Link is standard, no changes)

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I want Link to be able to shoot beams of light with his forward tilt when he has 0%; like in LttP. Does he do that in Skyward Sword?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Is it possible for them to just make a young link skin?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I want Link to be able to shoot beams of light with his forward tilt when he has 0%; like in LttP. Does he do that in Skyward Sword?

Yeah dude that was a major addition in Skyward Sword. Took me awhile to figure out you had to Thrust to make it a beam rather than a wave. However you could use it regardless of your health, all you had to do was leave yerself momentarily vulnerable to charge it. I didn't know he did it in ALttP, I thought he only did it in the original Zelda NES when he had full hearts.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'm seeing some good ideas in this thread. I don't understand why so many people want Link's recovery to be improved though. How fun would the game be if characters all had the same strengths and weaknesses? They should just give him more options on the ground, as well as a better projectile game. Like arrows that he can aim, bomb arrows, and more options with bombs such as rolling them. The Gale Boomerang was a cool idea, but it was executed poorly and is now out dated.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm seeing some good ideas in this thread. I don't understand why so many people want Link's recovery to be improved though. How fun would the game be if characters all had the same strengths and weaknesses? :phone:
This is the best post existent on this whole forum. THANK YOU!!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Link's recovery is bad for the fact that if he's standing still before performing the Spin Attack, he'll hardly get any horizontal distance. This problem never existed in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom