• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

Discuss general information pertaining to Toon Link in this thread.

:toonlink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
Remove Toon Link and replace him with some1 that isn't just a shorter faster all around better Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link should definitely stay. He's the only Link I actually enjoy playing as. As well as that he was my most wanted character for Brawl and I don't want him suffering the same fate as Mewtwo... :/

Maybe revamp his moveset a little by basing it off Spirit Tracks this time. Or just make him play exactly like the previous Link's (or more preferably, as how he himself played in Brawl) while Skyward Sword Link will get all the stuff he had in his game such as the Beetle, whip, etc.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As the most pro-Toon Link person on the internet pre-Brawl (and somebody who hasn't played as anybody in Brawl not named Toon Link in any sort of vs. match in over 3 years!), I would be saddened if Toon Link was cut. He was freaking awesome in Brawl, had some awesome (advanced) techniques, had a lot of cool moves Young Link didn't have, and had an awesome flair about him. I was super hyped for Toon Link, but somehow, Toon Link EXCEEDED MY HYPE!!! I didn't expect him to be so freaking awesome!!!

The only things I would change would be:
1. Give him the Train Conductor outfit and the Island Clothing Outfit (along with more shades of his traditional tunic; a gold tunic like Link's in Brawl would be awesome).
2. Give him a new forward air, forward smash, a few new tilts, a new A-A-A attack, a new grab throw or 2, and maybe even a new special.
3. Add maybe some fire damage that Young Link had in Melee, along with a few of Young Link's bomb techniques/tricks on top of Toon Link's Brawl bomb techniques.
4. Make Toon Link "fit" said forthcoming smash bros. games like how Toon Link fit in Brawl.
5. Make me love Toon Link as much as I did in Brawl in Smash 3DS and WiiU! (but have both games be better and more competitive) :chuckle:

Also, I am now pretty much the de facto runner of this thread, just like the old pre-Brawl times! :chuckle:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
5. Make me love Toon Link as much as I did in Brawl in Smash 3DS and WiiU! (but have both games be better and more competitive) :chuckle:
Sakurai's said that he definitely doesn't want this next Smash to be competitive.

I think YL and TL could be put in the same game. They were different enough in their respective games to give them very different movesets and traits in this upcoming Smash. Sure, OoT YL and WW TL may have been fairly similar in their abilities and tools, but each Link got sequels that diversified them greatly (Majora's Mask for YL and Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks for TL).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Toon Link's specials should probably be adjusted to reference the other Toon Links. For some special move changes...

standard - Gust Jar: Toon Link takes out a jar, which will try to suck in nearby opponents. Anyone who gets sucked into the jar will then be fired out at full force. The Gust Jar can even suck in projectile attacks and redirect them.

[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

side - Whip: Toon Link will take out his whip, in an attempt to grab an opponent. If the whip grabs an opponent, Toon Link will then hurl the opponent downward, damaging him/her during the process.

down - Skull Hammer: Toon Link takes out a large hammer. While holding the special button, Toon Link can move while holding the hammer. Release it for Toon Link to attack with the hammer. The attack is slow in execution, however, but it does pack a punch if it hits anyone. If sweetspotted, the opponent will be buried temporarily.

[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

Sorry, but I couldn't really think of an up special that would replace the Spin Attack.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
that applies to all characters, but I want Toon Link to return. for me, he's a special character, because my first Zelda was Wind Waker.

they could remake his moveset to include other items, like this:

Neutral B: Fire Arrow - Same as Young Link in Melee, but with the floatiness of Toon Link's arrows.
But the post above has also a good idea. More unique, I like it.
Side B: Whip - I agree with the post above.
Down B: Bombchu - Drops a bombchu and it begins walking in Toon Link's direction when he used the attack.
Up B: Deku Leaf - If used in ground, he flicks the leaf and shoots a whirlwind pushing aside foes (not very unlike FLUDD or Gale Boomerang). If used in midair, it functions similarly to Peach's Parasol.

His side smash could be the Skull Hammer. His grab could be the Grappling Hook.
His sword could be either the Four Sword, the Lokomo Sword from Spirit Tracks or the Phantom Sword from Phantom Hourglass.
His Final Smash could be similar to Captain Falcon's, ramming with the train from Spirit Tracks.

Alternate costume: his engineer outfit from Spirit Tracks.

Conclusion: did Toon Link have to be a clone? No. Same goes for Ganondorf.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
That's a pretty good idea. Lolz, what if they pulled off a DBZ Budokai: Tenkaichi 3 and just had a different char for each version of TL, just as they had a unique char for each version (time-specific) of Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, and a bunch of other chars. Hey, it's Namco Bandai; anything is possible! XD

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
that applies to all characters, but I want Toon Link to return. for me, he's a special character, because my first Zelda was Wind Waker.

they could remake his moveset to include other items, like this:

Neutral B: Fire Arrow - Same as Young Link in Melee, but with the floatiness of Toon Link's arrows.
But the post above has also a good idea. More unique, I like it.
Side B: Whip - I agree with the post above.
Down B: Bombchu - Drops a bombchu and it begins walking in Toon Link's direction when he used the attack.
Up B: Deku Leaf - If used in ground, he flicks the leaf and shoots a whirlwind pushing aside foes (not very unlike FLUDD or Gale Boomerang). If used in midair, it functions similarly to Peach's Parasol.

His side smash could be the Skull Hammer. His grab could be the Grappling Hook.
His sword could be either the Four Sword, the Lokomo Sword from Spirit Tracks or the Phantom Sword from Phantom Hourglass.
His Final Smash could be similar to Captain Falcon's, ramming with the train from Spirit Tracks.

Alternate costume: his engineer outfit from Spirit Tracks.

Conclusion: did Toon Link have to be a clone? No. Same goes for Ganondorf.
Can Ice Arrows also be included?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Toon Link is one of my favorite Brawl characters, so I would be very upset if he were removed. I'm kind of sick of this disdain everyone seems to have for "clone" characters. There's room for both him and Link to be in the game and be viable.

Some suggestions I have:
-I want him to have Young Link's Fire Arrows. Maybe Ice Arrows, too.
-I want his F-smash to be the jumping slash from the 3-D games(It was also 64 Link's F-smash).
-I want that stupid taunt where he just stands and looks around to be replaced by Y. Link's milk taunt.
-I could see his hookshot could be replaced by the whip.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
CRAWLING

Windwaker made crawling an ability which you can activate at will. Although it didn't catch on in the other
zelda games, it is an important piece of toon link's history and he should be given the ability to crawl in the next smash bros.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
CRAWLING

Windwaker made crawling an ability which you can activate at will. Although it didn't catch on in the other
zelda games, it is an important piece of toon link's history and he should be given the ability to crawl in the next smash bros.
Also this. Can't believe I didn't think of this before now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
CRAWLING

would give a BIG difference between both Links. I highly approve this.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
MOBILE SWORD SPIN

(The only info regarding Toon Link that I am familiar with comes from Windwaker.
So all my alterations for Toon Link come from that game and probably wouldn't represent the entire Toon Link franchise fairly)

In Windwaker, Link's Sword Spin attack (when fully charged) could be moved around like a tornado.
So I thought it would make sense it Toon Link's spin attack (when fully charged) could move horizontally
like Luigi's tornado spin.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link is one of my favorite Brawl characters, so I would be very upset if he were removed. I'm kind of sick of this disdain everyone seems to have for "clone" characters. There's room for both him and Link to be in the game and be viable.

Some suggestions I have:
-I want him to have Young Link's Fire Arrows. Maybe Ice Arrows, too.
-I want that stupid taunt where he just stands and looks around to be replaced by Y. Link's milk taunt.
Yeah I agree, I don't care if my favourite characters are "clones", so long as their playable in the game. I don't want to play as the lame Twilight Princess Link, I want to play as my favourite epic Hero of Winds: Wind Waker Link!

- I rather him use Ice arrows, I feel that would be more useful then just a flame animation.
- Why him drinking milk? Why not his grandmother's homemade Elixir soup? Sounds more suitable for him.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah I agree, I don't care if my favourite characters are "clones", so long as their playable in the game. I don't want to play as the lame Twilight Princess Link, I want to play as my favourite epic Hero of Winds: Wind Waker Link!

- I rather him use Ice arrows, I feel that would be more useful then just a flame animation.
- Why him drinking milk? Why not his grandmother's homemade Elixir soup? Sounds more suitable for him.
Either could work really. The soup is more accurate to wind waker. The thing is, I sort of want to see the milk/soup/whatever have an actual effect, i.e. heal a little health(like what was seen in Project M). If he drank the soup, he would have to get an attack boost, which I worry might become too easy to abuse.

And as for arrows, why not have him be able to switch between them somehow?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Either could work really. The soup is more accurate to wind waker. The thing is, I sort of want to see the milk/soup/whatever have an actual effect, i.e. heal a little health(like what was seen in Project M). If he drank the soup, he would have to get an attack boost, which I worry might become too easy to abuse.

And as for arrows, why not have him be able to switch between them somehow?
Oh did the milk taunt actually replenish his health? I didn't notice that (I did notice all the characters I gave the Project M moveset to losing their voice except for one or two of them which is kinda annoying but yeah...). Well the Milk Taunt is kinda long (If I remember correctly it was the longest taunt in Melee) so I guess it can't be that easily abused or increase the duration a bit more then, plus there can always be the option of simply not including it.

Well He did have the ability to simply switch arrow magic with a simple press on one of the shoulder buttons (Which I don't really get why they they didn't implement it in the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time because that would have been more convenient then leaving it how it was) so I guess that could have been possible.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
A taunt that recovers health would be cool. So long as it is considerably longer than other taunts. I believe in project M they made Jigglypuff's rest attack recover health too. Which makes sense because in the pokemon games that's how rest worked. Not as some psychic hyper powered move but as a means of recovery. Not that it doesnt make sense to do both in smash bros. But back to Toon Link. Did he ever drink milk in Windwaker? I think it would make more sense to drink soup. But milk is more iconic to the zelda series and if it was soup it would look like he was drinking alcohol.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
But back to Toon Link. Did he ever drink milk in Windwaker? I think it would make more sense to drink soup. But milk is more iconic to the zelda series and if it was soup it would look like he was drinking alcohol. I think it would make more sense to drink soup. But milk is more iconic to the zelda series and if it was soup it would look like he was drinking alcohol.
Well Minish Cap Link drank Milk too if you count him. Wind Waker Link never drank milk, not even in Phantom Hourglass I believe. I'd say these Red, Green and Blue potions are more iconic to the Zelda series but to each their own I suppose.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think that it would be neat if Toon Link got his Wind Waker island clothes and Spirit Tracks railroad uniform outfits. That would be pretty sweet! :)
CRAWLING
This, this, and THIS!!!! That was so awesome that the Wind Waker had that joke Metal Gear Solid reference. this should be in smash 4!
Sakurai's said that he definitely doesn't want this next Smash to be competitive.
Another person bs'ing this without any proof other than "Sakurai said." :facepalm: Show me proof that Sakurai said that, because I've read nearly every smash bros.-related interview he's ever done, and he's never said anything like that. :embarrass:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A taunt that recovers health would be cool. So long as it is considerably longer than other taunts. I believe in project M they made Jigglypuff's rest attack recover health too. Which makes sense because in the pokemon games that's how rest worked. Not as some psychic hyper powered move but as a means of recovery. Not that it doesnt make sense to do both in smash bros. But back to Toon Link. Did he ever drink milk in Windwaker? I think it would make more sense to drink soup. But milk is more iconic to the zelda series and if it was soup it would look like he was drinking alcohol.
not gonna happen. auto healing moves would break the single player modes, more specifically All-Star, Boss Battles and, to an extent, Adventure Mode (assuming they keep the modes from Brawl).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
not gonna happen. auto healing moves would break the single player modes, more specifically All-Star, Boss Battles and, to an extent, Adventure Mode (assuming they keep the modes from Brawl).
They could just disable it under those circumstances. Not the first time characters have had different moves for different modes:Falcon had a different bat swing in HRC mode, which seems like something more difficult to change.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Another person bs'ing this without any proof other than "Sakurai said." :facepalm: Show me proof that Sakurai said that, because I've read nearly every smash bros.-related interview he's ever done, and he's never said anything like that. :embarrass:
You haven't read enough interviews, buddy.

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=443

This is a column written and published by Sakurai himself. In this article, he even explicitly states that he added in "accidents" (aka tripping) so that the game's "progress and results falter easily." Do you want more proof than this?

Yooo, about ice and fire arrows, here's a post I made on the YL thread. It could definitely apply to TL, especially if YL remains absent, but I just felt like it fit the OoT and MM games more.

Anyway, I would like it if YL came back, mostly unchanged too. I would definitely want a couple changes, though. I don't know how they'd do it but it would be cool if he had a command to change into other forms from Majora's Mask, each with its own moveset, a la Zelda/Sheik. Also, it would be really cool if YL could fire some of the other things he shot from OoT and MM, like the slingshot and the ice arrows. I've been thinking about how he'd do that command-wise, and I think the best control scheme to implement for that without interfering with anything else would be a sideB that is altered by a B-reversal kind of action. To explain, assuming you already know how B-reversals work, as soon as the sideB was input, a B-reversal direction would be pressed. However, the direction would be up or down instead of sideways. For example, pressing sideB and then up a few frames after would cause him to shoot his fire arrows. Doing the same, but pressing down instead of up, would cause him to shoot ice arrows. Pressing sideB alone with no following action would cause him to shoot his slingshot. This would be easy to implement graphically cuz YL could just strike the same exact pose for each weapon, even the slingshot. I like this scheme 'cause it rewards technical play. Sure, you could just play with regular sideB's and get your slingshot, which could be useful as a quick and easy projectile, but by mastering the art of B-reversals, you could gain access to fire arrows (increased damage and knockback) and ice arrows (increased stun time).
Edit: About Sakurai not wanting Smash to be competitive, the topic was also discussed in this smashboards thread. You might wanna check out the OP:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158790&

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
I dont like reps. Toon link and young link must be suits. Well thats only my opinion hehe

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im all for toon link returning

im of the opinion that there is no such thing as to many links

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I like Toon Link, but I'd just want a few changes.

- Make his F-Smash link reliably into the other hit.

- Allow him to have more horizontal movement when he uses his Up-B.

- Make his tether grab have the grabbing duration last longer so it's not easily side-stepped. (And maybe make his U-Throw kill at a reasonable % XD)

- No more weak hit of U-Smash.

- Just slightly more KO power in general.

Top Bottom