• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Literal Superstar: Starfy for SSB4 (Assist Trophy status apparently confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Update: Young Horsetail has replaced Habanero as this thread's owner.

Overview

Starfy is the titular character from The Legendary Starfy games, a series of platformer games with the main focus on swimming instead of jumping. He's an absent minded yet jolly prince from the Pufftop Kingdom. Often he goes on crazy accidental adventures with his best friend Moe and his sister Starly, along with meeting dozens of recurring characters like Old Man Lober. Starfy is well known for his signature Star Spin attack and his sunglasses collection. He also occasionally utilizes varies costumes or contraptions to gain new abilities. Apparently he is neither a star or a starfish, although he's still referred as a starfish occasionally.

Starfy has so far appeared in 5 games, only one of which was released outside of Japan. However, he has also appeared as a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Super Princess Peach, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Prior to The Legendary Starfy being localized in 2008, he was referred as Stafy.

Super Smash Bros 4

Starfy returns to the Super Smash Bros. series, no longer a pathetic assist trophy. Starfy in this game would be a very athletic light weight character who's main appeal is being a fast hitter that can preform good combo options. Starfy would also sport a pseudo-glide of sorts, a deflecting move with his Star Spin move, and the unique ability to not drown in water. But due to his small size, he is light and many of his attacks are somewhat weak with low range. However between being a fast small character with above average recovery, Starfy can be quite the annoying pest when used right.

That is how I can see Starfy play out at least. But I want to hear from you people. Will Starfy be viable in Super Smash Bros? What will his moves be? What about Taunts? What about alternate costumes? Discuss all matters of Starfy here.

Moveset ideas

Well, I may as well post my Starfy moveset:

A: Small Spin with his arms. This spin can suck opponents toward him. 5%
AA: An additional spin in the opposite direction. 8%
AAA: A much larger spin that lasts much longer as you hold A. 12%
A Side: Starfy slaps the opponent quickly. 6%
A Up: Starfy leaps up with a headbutt. 13%
A Down: Starfy gets on the ground and does a spin similar to Starly’s crawling spin. 15%
Dash A: Starfy’s eyes bug out and he slides into the foe. 11%

Smash Side: Starfy punches forward and releases a small pearl when it connects. The pearl is just for show. 18%
Smash Up: Starfy spins upward corkscrewing his body. 22%
Smash Down: Starfy leaps up and when he hits the ground, a torrent of water hurts opponents on both sides. 17%

Air A: Starfy does a small aerial spin like a cartwheel. 12%
Forward Air A: Starfy leaps toward the opponent with a body slam-type motion. 20%
Backward Air A: Starfy leaps back and kicks the opponent. 9%
Up Air A: Starfy leaps upward on an air current and hits the foe with the top of his head. 9%
Down Air A: Starfy bashes a pearl below him to meteor smash opponents. 22%

Grab and Pummel: Starfy grabs opponents and hits them with his arms. 4% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Starfy kicks the foe ahead of him. 13%
Back Throw: Starfy jumps backwards and slams the opponent into the ground. 12%
Up Throw: Starfy tosses the foe in the air with high speed. 6%
Down Throw: Starfy slams his opponent downward with a pork cutlet. 18%

Starfy’s Neutral B is the Star Spin. Similar to his AAA combo, Starfy spins, but his spin can now cover distances. When you hold B, he charges up. When you release it, he does a long spin depending on how long you held B. During this time, you can move around while spinning, a bit like Metaknight’s tornado, but much less overpowered. If held for too long, Starfy goes into a dazed state while the familiar sound to Starfy fans plays. 15-30% depending on charge.

His Side B is the Ultra Star Spin. This is a corkscrew spin that Starfy does in his games. It is one of Starfy’s stronger moves, but it only covers a short distance (about the length of a Battlefield platform.). Opponents also get sucked toward the move. 28%

His Up B is the Level Warp Cauldron. At the end of a Starfy level, this cauldron appears and sends Starfy skyward to the next level. Basically, this appears under Starfy and simply sends him upward. The cauldron causes no damage, but if Starfy hits the opponent on the way up, it causes 23% damage.

Starfy’s Down B would be Shooting Star. This attack only works in the air. Starfy spins downward like a shooting star and hits the opponents for good knockback and 35% damage if sweetspotted, 20% otherwise.

Finally, his Final Smash would be Transformation. Bunston hops in to Assist Starfy. Starfy touches a stone of his, and goes through the process of transforming. First, he becomes Monstar, and covers the ground of the stage with fire similar in effect to Ness’s PK Fire. Next, he turns into Starfright and covers the aerial ares with shadowy will-o-wisps. If either of these hit, they combo at 15% each. Next, Starfy becomes Starpedo to freeze the opponents and take 3% damage every two seconds. Finally, he becomes Roostar and sends the opponents away with the loud chicken screech with high knockback. After this 20 second period, Starfy returns to normal and Bunston is sent away.

Glide: Yes
Crawl: Yes
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No

With the gliding, I picture it like Peach in the sense that you hold the Jump button to do it, like in the Starfy games, but would slowly move downward unlike Peach. In a sense, I want it to work exactly like in the Starfy games! xD

Arguments

Arguments used against Starfy -

1 - He's not popular.

- Starfy has a semi-decent popularity, comparable to other small franchises of Nintendo in outerstates. While only one game was released so far to states, it has helped him to gain more popularity than back when he was still japan-only. He though has had about 5 games and he's still going strong in Japan, with pretty remarkable amount of popularity, merchandise and whatnot.

And since he's no more Japan-only, he's now more eligible for Smash.

2 - He has not much moveset potential due how generic he looks.

- It can be true that Starfy might've been actually been made playable but became somewhat of a hassle to do a moveset and was cut. Lately I was though proved that he can have a working moveset by Algus Underdunk.

I was pretty impressed by this, it seems to convey a funny awkwardness of Starfy trying to fight using his limbs, but he has to resort

So even if Sakurai couldn't make a working moveset around him, DOESN'T mean that HE CAN'T have an interesting moveset potential. You could like make him work being pretty sluggish and awkard on land, but very, very (even moreso than Jiggs) in the air, referring to his marine movement. (So he'd move on the air like it's water.)

He also has many attributes to draw from, so why would he be still akward and uninteresting?

3 - How Starfy would contribute to Smash Bros's gameplay anyway?

- Now here's something what I thought: Starfy-series, unlike some other series we've seen in Smash, could actually bring a new element to the series that could enchance the gameplay: the marine moving element.

What if we could have fights underwater? What if characters get to have a fully functional ability to swim and even go underwater?

Of course attacks would be more sluggish, but I think a stage that is completely underwater seems no-no. I suggest stage segments that allow underwater movement (like a scrolling/moving stage going into underwater at some part.)

Starfy's universe boasts also many kinds of NPC's. These would make appearance in Smash enough to warrant an Assist Trophy, many trophies around Starfy-series, and so on. Heck, we'd have stage having lots of NPCs watching the battle like Animal Crossing Villagers and NPCs in Smashville.

4- TOSE-copyright issues lowers his chances.

- TOSE-issues copyright thing seems like something we could apply to many other series. Why didn't Golden Sun get a playable rep and anything over Starfy despite being more easily accessible?

5 - Sakurai hates Starf-

NO. HE DOESN'T.

Sakurai DOESN'T HATE STARFY. I can't still believe some people still believe on this.

If he hates him so much, they why would he bother even going as far as to have an AT, two trophies around the series, many stickers...

Now, the only indicators would be Dojo which says these words:

Sometimes you may wonder "Stafy, why did you even come here?!"

But that’s part of his charm.

Now this is true. That last sentence.

I think it refers to that Starfy is generally a clumsy troublemaker, since his first game shows how he freed Ogura in an accident, and pretty much can be a pain in the *** to motivate. Maybe they tried to emulate this "annoying" part of him... messing your hopes for a good Assist. You go like "Argh, Stafyy! Did you had to mess my chances again?" But that's what he is at times.

Though he can be also bit of a trouble to deal with... even deadly if abused enough.

But here's what he would have done instead if he doesn't really like him:

- No SFX's from his series, that jingle too when Starfy appears, and most of all, the exploitable explosion knockback you can get if you hit Starfy hard enough.

- No referencing to Starfy-series at all (no those many stickers from the series, trophies, no Starfy himself etc)

So if he then hates him or doesn't really like him, then why did he include him? Maybe because of a fanbase demanding Starfy?

In fact, have you ever noticed that when you check Fighter-Related-category on trophies in Brawl, Starfy's in there? Maybe this could hint that Sakurai seems to have totally opposite favouring on Starfy than many think (hating the little star).

6- He's too weak.

This is not true. Contrary to how Brawl portrayed him, Starfy's not your Lester the Unlikely. He's quite strong if time's demand it and can pull through from many dangerous situations in his adventures. In fact, check the final boss fight of Legendary Starfy and tell me then if he's weak.

I hope this could give some new light to ones who cut him up and maybe Shortie could consider bringing him back... I don't want to think Starfy's now unlikely too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nice thread. I picture Starfy like some others have said. He should give you the feel of fighting in the water. By that, I mean sort of more graceful spins and a bit floaty, but like his games, allowing for certain combos, as well as the glide. The no drowning thing seems so obvious, yet I didn't even think of it! It's perfect, though.

Overall, I would really like to see Starfy. I made a moveset for him if you're interested.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Gosh, I can't believe someone did this before I did... Now if Starfy makes it in Sm4sh, I won't have the honor to be the one behind his most first support topic in Smashboards!

Jk. But anyway, I'll put down my overview on Starfy.

Starfy hails from the popular Legendary Starfy/Densetsu No Stafy-series, which are marine platformers featuring quirky characters, lots of exploration and helping others, and overally easy but fun-to-play titles throughout GBA's and NDS's life cycle.

The series star the titular character Starfy, a clumsy, very absentminded, yet very determined and persistent prince of Puff Top, a kingdom high in the clouds.
He lives there mostly peacefully with his parents Mama Star and Papa Star, along with many royal guards who are also star-shaped themselves: but there's of course been, some villains and troublemakers shaking Starfy's lazy and peaceful lifestyle.
One of the most known one was Ogura in GBA-saga of Starfy-series: an evil genie eel who was imprisoned to a jar by Old Man Lobber and Papa Star. As he did go wreak havoc for Starfy and his friends, the prince had to venture through seas and lands for imprisoning him back.
Usually in his adventures, Starfy would be accompanied by Moe The Clam (known also as Kyorosuke), and occassionally her sister Starly (Known as Stapy in Japan).

So far though there's not been any representation of this quirky series expect Starfy's Assist Trophy appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which made him known for rest of the world. Mind you, there were some supporters for him in pre-Brawl days, like for example... me.

But the sad (and very infuriating fact for longtime Starfy-fans) thing about his inclusion in Brawl, was that Sakurai had made Starfy into a very weak Assist Trophy, being able to be knocked out, and not dealing much damage. This gave a wrong vision of Starfy being very pathetic for the whole world at first impression (which isn't true at all in his games) and made Starfy-fans back in that time think Sakurai hated Starfy, or in a less extent, was biased against him due his similarities to Kirby in apperance.

Later though, Starfy's got his latest game, Stafy 5, finally out of Japan, which is known as Legendary Starfy: this has gained him lots of new fans as they saw Starfy was more than a weakling, and made his chances go way up.
So far Starfy has gained a decent amount of fans and was well received throughout the world in game reviews and fan reception, despite the generally supereasy difficulty.

Now that SSB4 has surfaced up, does Starfy now has a chance to prove he's more than a mere abusable starfish?

Fans of Starfy, welcome! Have fun supporting our favorite star for Smash Bros!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Technically Geno is just as literally a star as starfy

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I loved The Legendary Starfy. I believe I beat the game twice. I envision Starfy to be the master spinner. Most of his moves are about spinning. That's what he's best known for!

B: Star Spin (somewhat similar to Jigglypuff's B)
Side B: Mega Star Spin (like a combination between Meta Knight's B and Yoshi's Side B)
Up B: Ultra Star Spin (like a combination between Fox's Up B and Meta Knight's Side B)
Down B: Shooting Star (like Yoshi/Bowser/Kirby's Down B)
Final Smash: Monstar

He also should be the first wingless character who can glide.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, I may as well post my Starfy moveset:

Starfy

A: Small Spin with his arms. This spin can suck opponents toward him. 5%
AA: An additional spin in the opposite direction. 8%
AAA: A much larger spin that lasts much longer as you hold A. 12%
A Side: Starfy slaps the opponent quickly. 6%
A Up: Starfy leaps up with a headbutt. 13%
A Down: Starfy gets on the ground and does a spin similar to Starly’s crawling spin. 15%
Dash A: Starfy’s eyes bug out and he slides into the foe. 11%

Smash Side: Starfy punches forward and releases a small pearl when it connects. The pearl is just for show. 18%
Smash Up: Starfy spins upward corkscrewing his body. 22%
Smash Down: Starfy leaps up and when he hits the ground, a torrent of water hurts opponents on both sides. 17%

Air A: Starfy does a small aerial spin like a cartwheel. 12%
Forward Air A: Starfy leaps toward the opponent with a body slam-type motion. 20%
Backward Air A: Starfy leaps back and kicks the opponent. 9%
Up Air A: Starfy leaps upward on an air current and hits the foe with the top of his head. 9%
Down Air A: Starfy bashes a pearl below him to meteor smash opponents. 22%

Grab and Pummel: Starfy grabs opponents and hits them with his arms. 4% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Starfy kicks the foe ahead of him. 13%
Back Throw: Starfy jumps backwards and slams the opponent into the ground. 12%
Up Throw: Starfy tosses the foe in the air with high speed. 6%
Down Throw: Starfy slams his opponent downward with a pork cutlet. 18%

Starfy’s Neutral B is the Star Spin. Similar to his AAA combo, Starfy spins, but his spin can now cover distances. When you hold B, he charges up. When you release it, he does a long spin depending on how long you held B. During this time, you can move around while spinning, a bit like Metaknight’s tornado, but much less overpowered. If held for too long, Starfy goes into a dazed state while the familiar sound to Starfy fans plays. 15-30% depending on charge.

His Side B is the Ultra Star Spin. This is a corkscrew spin that Starfy does in his games. It is one of Starfy’s stronger moves, but it only covers a short distance (about the length of a Battlefield platform.). Opponents also get sucked toward the move. 28%

His Up B is the Level Warp Cauldron. At the end of a Starfy level, this cauldron appears and sends Starfy skyward to the next level. Basically, this appears under Starfy and simply sends him upward. The cauldron causes no damage, but if Starfy hits the opponent on the way up, it causes 23% damage.

Starfy’s Down B would be Shooting Star. This attack only works in the air. Starfy spins downward like a shooting star and hits the opponents for good knockback and 35% damage if sweetspotted, 20% otherwise.

Finally, his Final Smash would be Transformation. Bunston hops in to Assist Starfy. Starfy touches a stone of his, and goes through the process of transforming. First, he becomes Monstar, and covers the ground of the stage with fire similar in effect to Ness’s PK Fire. Next, he turns into Starfright and covers the aerial ares with shadowy will-o-wisps. If either of these hit, they combo at 15% each. Next, Starfy becomes Starpedo to freeze the opponents and take 3% damage every two seconds. Finally, he becomes Roostar and sends the opponents away with the loud chicken screech with high knockback. After this 20 second period, Starfy returns to normal and Bunston is sent away.

Glide: Yes
Crawl: Yes
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No

With the gliding, I picture it like Peach in the sense that you hold the Jump button to do it, like in the Starfy games, but would slowly move downward unlike Peach. In a sense, I want it to work exactly like in the Starfy games! xD

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My thoughts for the gameplay style of Starfy:

- Starfy's fighting style is reflected on his games: he's sluggish on ground, but moves in the air very fluidly and delivers some of his best attacks in his aerials. Something comparable to Jigglypuff in a sense. The idea behind it could be that he'd move around the air like it's water. Marine-style fighting?

- Starfy can glide, but not wall jump. At least he can crawl and also deliver the High Hat Spin.

- Starfy would use Moe for his most strongest attacks, like Forward Smash to slam enemies with him.

- Despite how generic Starfy looks, with some very good imagination, he can actually have an interesting moveset. AlgusUnderdunk made this moveset which seemingly conveys him as some hybrid between Kirby and Squirtle:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Arguments used against Starfy -

1 - He's not popular.

- Starfy has a semi-decent popularity, comparable to other small franchises of Nintendo in outerstates. While only one game was released so far to states, it has helped him to gain more popularity than back when he was still japan-only. He though has had about 5 games and he's still going strong in Japan, with pretty remarkable amount of popularity, merchandise and whatnot.

And since he's no more Japan-only, he's now more eligible for Smash.

2 - He has not much moveset potential due how generic he looks.

- It can be true that Starfy might've been actually been made playable but became somewhat of a hassle to do a moveset and was cut. Lately I was though proved that he can have a working moveset by Algus Underdunk.

I was pretty impressed by this, it seems to convey a funny awkwardness of Starfy trying to fight using his limbs, but he has to resort

So even if Sakurai couldn't make a working moveset around him, DOESN'T mean that HE CAN'T have an interesting moveset potential. You could like make him work being pretty sluggish and awkard on land, but very, very (even moreso than Jiggs) in the air, referring to his marine movement. (So he'd move on the air like it's water.)

He also has many attributes to draw from, so why would he be still akward and uninteresting?

3 - How Starfy would contribute to Smash Bros's gameplay anyway?

- Now here's something what I thought: Starfy-series, unlike some other series we've seen in Smash, could actually bring a new element to the series that could enchance the gameplay: the marine moving element.

What if we could have fights underwater? What if characters get to have a fully functional ability to swim and even go underwater?

Of course attacks would be more sluggish, but I think a stage that is completely underwater seems no-no. I suggest stage segments that allow underwater movement (like a scrolling/moving stage going into underwater at some part.)

Starfy's universe boasts also many kinds of NPC's. These would make appearance in Smash enough to warrant an Assist Trophy, many trophies around Starfy-series, and so on. Heck, we'd have stage having lots of NPCs watching the battle like Animal Crossing Villagers and NPCs in Smashville.

4- TOSE-copyright issues lowers his chances.

- TOSE-issues copyright thing seems like something we could apply to many other series. Why didn't Golden Sun get a playable rep and anything over Starfy despite being more easily accessible?

5 - Sakurai hates Starf-

NO. HE DOESN'T.

Sakurai DOESN'T HATE STARFY. I can't still believe some people still believe on this.

If he hates him so much, they why would he bother even going as far as to have an AT, two trophies around the series, many stickers...

Now, the only indicators would be Dojo which says these words:

Sometimes you may wonder "Stafy, why did you even come here?!"

But that’s part of his charm.

Now this is true. That last sentence.

I think it refers to that Starfy is generally a clumsy troublemaker, since his first game shows how he freed Ogura in an accident, and pretty much can be a pain in the *** to motivate. Maybe they tried to emulate this "annoying" part of him... messing your hopes for a good Assist. You go like "Argh, Stafyy! Did you had to mess my chances again?" But that's what he is at times.

Though he can be also bit of a trouble to deal with... even deadly if abused enough.

But here's what he would have done instead if he doesn't really like him:

- No SFX's from his series, that jingle too when Starfy appears, and most of all, the exploitable explosion knockback you can get if you hit Starfy hard enough.

- No referencing to Starfy-series at all (no those many stickers from the series, trophies, no Starfy himself etc)

So if he then hates him or doesn't really like him, then why did he include him? Maybe because of a fanbase demanding Starfy?

In fact, have you ever noticed that when you check Fighter-Related-category on trophies in Brawl, Starfy's in there? Maybe this could hint that Sakurai seems to have totally opposite favouring on Starfy than many think (hating the little star).

6- He's too weak.

This is not true. Contrary to how Brawl portrayed him, Starfy's not your Lester the Unlikely. He's quite strong if time's demand it and can pull through from many dangerous situations in his adventures. In fact, check the final boss fight of Legendary Starfy and tell me then if he's weak.

I hope this could give some new light to ones who cut him up and maybe Shortie could consider bringing him back... I don't want to think Starfy's now unlikely too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's not forget Starly's Brawl trophy being placed in the Fighter-Related category despite no playable Starfy. Sure, some people might say it was misplaced there but IMO, it could be that Starfy was once planned to be playable but demoted to Assist Trophy status for some reason (time constraints, Sonic taking high priority, etc.)

Really, Starfy is like my #1 most-wanted new-series character. Mii is #2.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Now this kind of a topic has been done, it's time for me to continue on researching the elements that I want to see from this series by playing the games through. Here's my thoughts on Starfy 2 and what I'd like to see to be took from there:

[collapse= General Thoughts and Memorable Things]
Cleared Stafy 2.

It's a great improvement on first Stafy, being much more longer (maybe too much longer, 11 worlds? C'mon), and has more content to keep you playing. The abilities are also well established in this game.

The game had also it's good parts:

- Some good music (it became much better near end of the game, though, 9nth and 10nth world had the best music in my opinion)

- Kyorosuke/Moe is sometimes sucha comic relief. He seems to have things for women, At the last world, he and Stafy had to see a video about Ogura's schemes.Kyorosuke dropped a video which was colored pink, and when Stafy looked at it, I died.

It was seemingly having ecchi fish. XDDDD

Kyorosuke of course was blushing angrily like there was no tomorrow.

- The ending... man. Stafy finally got back to his mom. When I thought that by Starfy's 7-year old's eyes, it became 10000x cuter and heartwarming.

Good game, but not as good as Stafy 3, though. That's the game where Starly/Stapy makes her debut appearance. And Wario appears to help Stafy for one WHOLE WORLD in the game. Awesome.

Characters: *spoilers ahead*

[collapse=characters]- Old Man Lobber became sucha BADASS MOFO at the final boss. Just when I confronted Ogura in his boss room, he was seemingly invicible and unbeatable.
Starfy of course losed at him, and Ogura just tried to finish him, but then Kyorosuke comes in to protect the little guy (after all the time I think he's little of a jerk at times on Starfy)

Then... Old Man Lobber. He had an awesome forcefield around him and he started to battle against Ogura. (Okay, more like bumping to him fiercely).

Really, it was awesome. He better be made into an Assist Trophy, or at least have a mention of him being much more powerful than he looks.

- I'd loved that Dragon helper. His music fitted with the sections where I used him. Him using Stafy as a shield was also quite cute.[/collapse]

Music:

Like I said before, I'd wish they included these two musics, remixed.

World 9: Resshi Lake/Loch Ness Lagoon

Make tempo much more faster and remix it to sound quite happy yet exciting for the chaotic mood of SSB4, but keep the playfulness intact.

World 10: Torrent's Waterfall Wall

Remix this at least in similar fashion as how Flower Fields in Brawl was: turn it more playful and catchy! It's already quite catchy though, but if more catchier, the BETTER.[/collapse]

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Seeing as Starfy has had a game in North America, I would think that he'd be considered to be playable by now.

Now, if only I could remember where I placed my special move inputs for him, because I do recall making some inputs several months ago.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Shurikit would be a nice Starfy AT by using the Copy thing she does to barrage the stage in Cat attacks.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would like to point out that if Starfy is a playable character, he would have his own stage too. Logically it would be Gluglug Lagoon or Pufftop, but I wonder if the stage would heavily use water physics as its gimmick.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I believe Starphoenix did a GlugGlug Lagoon stage a long while back. Perhaps I can dig it up if you'd like to see it?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually would like a Starfy stage that combines elements from Skydye Heights and Pufftop.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Him vs Kirby would be the day I have the chills when playing Super Smash Bros. 4. Spinning would one day clash with sucking. The Super Tuff Pink Puff shall face the Dreaded Strong Yellow Star.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Time for my music megapost for Starfy-music I'd like to hear in Sm4sh:

For Starfy's stage, here's my choices- It's not yet finished though since I haven't cleared fourth and fifth games. (-l,l-);

1 -Densetsu No Stafy (1-4) - Lobber's Cave (Default stage theme)

(An iconic and memorable BGM to Starfy-series in same veins as what Green Greens is for Kirby- this music has been used as the first world theme in the first four Japan-only titles so far. To appeal at Starfy-fans in the first place, this must be added as the default BGM for the Starfy's stage. )

(I'm working on this to make it little medley, like Yoshi's Island's Obstacle Course-music in Brawl had Yoshi's Island Final Boss-battle music thrown in at the track.)

( - Here's also the GBA-version - )

2 -Densetsu No Stafy - Boss Battle Medley

(A Medley of the Boss Themes throughout Starfy's GBA-games, comprised of these tracks in the order. In order to get why I put em like this, watch this battle- sorry for the quality)

DNS2: Boss Is Nearby! (Fast-tempoed beginning)
DNS2: Confrontation! (Starfy's Assist Trophy Jingle SFX, composed in style of GBA-games) -> Meeting Boss Eye To Eye. (Boss Introduction Theme)
DNS: Boss Battle (Loop this theme up) (They better keep the boxing bell jingle like in the games in the theme's beginning)

(In here, it will be cut to boss battle ending with the boss *poofing away* like in Starfy-games and then...)

Densetsu No Stafy: Starfy Dance

*Loop back to Boss Is Nearby!*

(Might try to improve on this medley if I can)

3 - Densetsu No Stafy- Ogura's Theme

DNS: Ogura's Theme
DNS2: Ogura's Final Boss Theme

(After the final boss theme has been looped sometime, it will have a original composition which ends it like an explosion- you might even hear Ogura´s cry of defeat somewhere far)

DNS1&2: Credits
DNS 2: Credits 2 (A music box version of Densetsu No Stafy Theme Song)*Repeat back to Ogura's Theme*

4 - Densetsu No Stafy - Official Theme Song
(Heard in the commercial of the first games, and has been remixed sometimes in the games themselves and also in newer commercials. This one's the first official version from Donkey Konga)

5 -Densetsu No Stafy 2 - World 9: Resshi Lake/Loch Ness Lagoon

Make tempo much more faster and remix it to sound quite happy yet exciting for the chaotic mood of SSB4, but keep the playfulness intact.

6 -Densetsu No Stafy 2 - World 10: Torrent's Waterfall Wall

Remix this at least in similar fashion as how Flower Fields in Brawl was: turn it more playful and catchy! It's already quite catchy though, but if more catchier, the BETTER.

7 - Densetsu No Stafy 3-World 2: Coral Coast

A very peaceful track, and really seems to cater to be remixed by composers. I really like this tune.

8 - Densetsu No Stafy 3: 8. World 4 - Kakigori Alps/Crushed Ice Alpine

9 - Densetsu No Stafy 3: Pufftop/Sea Of Sky

^ My ALL TIME FAVES in whole Starfy-series (so far). They MUST. Remix this.

10 - Legendary Starfy - Gluglug Lagoon

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Very nice, Young Horsetail. Starfy needs more representation after how well recieved The Legendary Starfy was.

:phone:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm sad that it took me so long to realize what you meant by " The Literal Superstar"
They called him Staffy in Brawl I guess because the Starfy game hadn't had an American release yet so they went with a crude Engrish version.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I always thought of Starfy's stage as playing to the whole aquatic theme, since that is what he is known for typically.

Gluglug Lagoon

Either way, Starfy is very iffy to me. On the one hand I can see him getting in, and on the other hand I can see him being edged out for some of the other AT characters (not that there is any kind of competition). I'm also not sure if Sakurai is knowledgeable enough of the series to play to his dress up abilities, and instead will see him as only a slapping, spinning star with not a lot to contribute.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I always thought of Starfy's stage as playing to the whole aquatic theme, since that is what he is known for typically.

Gluglug Lagoon

Either way, Starfy is very iffy to me. On the one hand I can see him getting in, and on the other hand I can see him being edged out for some of the other AT characters (not that there is any kind of competition). I'm also not sure if Sakurai is knowledgeable enough of the series to play to his dress up abilities, and instead will see him as only a slapping, spinning star with not a lot to contribute.
This is something I'm also concerned about. But I dunno why he wouldn't try doing a moveset for him from scratch, like he did for Falcon or Fox. (-l´l-); If they got a moveset, then Starfy also can.

The series is quite huge though so I don't get why Starfy should be left out because he meets lots of reguirements to be viable fighter.

R.O.B: Thanks a lot! (-lvl-)^

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well I wouldn't call the series "huge", but it does have a fair share of fans. But I do agree that making a move set wouldn't be that hard for a character like Starfy, or generally any character.

But one thing I do hope for is Starfy putting on a pair of sunglasses to be one of his taunts. It would be really neat to see that.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well I wouldn't call the series "huge", but it does have a fair share of fans. But I do agree that making a move set wouldn't be that hard for a character like Starfy, or generally any character.

But one thing I do hope for is Starfy putting on a pair of sunglasses to be one of his taunts. It would be really neat to see that.
On YouTube, Pizzadudemanguy did propose a good Stary moveset involving his signature moves and the costumes from the new game. I would reccomend looking it up.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Sunglasses, yeah! I totally remember him rocking out in Starfy 3 or being the cameo on Super Princess Peach... while wearing the shades. Definitely, he should have them.
(-lvl-)^

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I support Starfy. In my opinion he's a must add misc. character, considering a large series, high popularity in Japan, and moderate popularity in the west.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Based on his movepool in his games, it almost seems like he was made for Smash. I definitely want him in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Based on his movepool in his games, it almost seems like he was made for Smash. I definitely want him in.
Same here. I was so pissed when Starfy was an Assist Trophy in Brawl. I hated that his first impression in the West was to be an useless Assist Trophy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Same here. I was so pissed when Starfy was an Assist Trophy in Brawl. I hated that his first impression in the West was to be an useless Assist Trophy.
This. Just this. And as I was waiting for Starfy along with Diddy Kong, you people can just imagine the day when I got Sakurai'd so hard.

Totally made me question Sakurai's actions as the developer for this game. They call this fella an entertainer... yeah.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can imagine Starfy being a playable character and Starly or Moe becoming an assist trophy.

But out of curiosity, is Starfy highly requested as a character in Japan in a similar vein to King K. Rool over here in the west?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am a little disheartened that Starfy's popularity or demand seems to be declining over time. I was looking at Shortie's poll results.

2011 - he had 174 votes.
Early 2012 - he had 108 votes.
Late 2012 - he currently has 38 votes.

I think Starfy needs a new 3DS game to give him a boost. People seem to forget he had a game in the West and isn't Japan-only.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Keep in mind that Shortie's poll had a lot less people that voted this time, and the fact that everything else seems to be far more popular then Starfy in general. If this was a more global poll or at least had more voters, the results might of been a tad different.

But don't feel dissapointed, this poll won't influence much for the final product.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I honestly think that if he were to get another game soon, he'd go from a decently good shot to being close to, if not, a shoe-in. Just my opinion.

I still have hope for the guy, though.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
IF he makes it in, which I doubt he will, let's all hope that he isn't as useless as his Assist Trophy form.
I mean, really, Starfy has probably to be the most useless Assist Trophy in Brawl. (in terms of being a 'combat' AT not a 'distraction' AT like Mr. Resetti or Nintendog)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If he does make it in, they'll likely use his abilities from his games. They butchered his AT and made it leave a bad taste in the mouths of those who've actually played the games.

Also, just asking, what makes you feel that he is unlikely?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Probably because of competition with at least two dozen characters. Which is justified since there is a limit to how many can be added at a time, and the fact Starfy isn't a popular pick in the west due to the butchered assist trophy giving the misconception that people think he's a weakling.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
He's cute, has moveset possibilities, popular, & has 5 games. He's definitely a chioce for smash. I want him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom