• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
as we all know, Namco will be developing this game, and as such is in the best position to get a 3rd Party rep so this thread is to discuss the most Likely choices.

Some notable ones include:

Pac-Man: no brainer. masot of the Company,one of the big inspirations for miyamoto, and star of the most played arcade game of all time. he also has several aces up his sleeve, as Pac-man Vs. was developed by nintendo and Miyamoto, and he even was a playable character in Mario kart Arcade GP(along with his Wife and the ghosts.)

KOS-MOS: from Xenosaga, a game that was ported to the DS. what her edge is is that she comes from a game series made by Monolith Soft-Nintendo' current 2nd party. and Since monolith helped out with the creation of brawl, she may have a higher chance then ever...

Lloyd Irving:Main character of Tales of Symphonia, the highest reviewed and arguably most popular game in the series. his edge is that Symphonia was used to promote the Gamecube at one point, even having a Tales themed GC given out at one point. the sequel to his game was also a Wii-exclusive, and lastly he was a playable character in the Soul calibur game for the Wii. also if he gets in,we would get this song in the game.

Klonoa: kinda a personal choice here, but nevertheless he would be intresting overall. plus he starred in several GBA games and a Wii remake of his first game, so he has some qualifications.Could this become real someday?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
While Pac-Man has the highest chance of all Capcom characters, I can hope for KOS-MOS, seeing as she's one of my favorite video game characters.

Also, Monolith Soft is now a 1st party developer for Nintendo.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'd love to see some Soul Calibur characters. Ivy would be awesome, but they'd have to town down her cleavage.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Maybe some Tales of the Abyss characters as well. Symphonia is a definite for me I fell in love with that game it was brilliant and was originally released on the GC. Lloyd from Symphonia, Guy or Luke for my Abyss vote. If any Soul Calibur character got in it should be knightmare and or Siegfried.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
A question, if I may:

Namco-Bandai sold the rest of Monolith Soft, the developers of the Xenosaga games to Nintendo, making them a first-party company for Nintendo. What does that mean for Xenosaga? Does it still belong to Namco-Bandai, despite Monolith Soft being owned by Nintendo, or does Nintendo have the rights to everything Xenosaga? I know Xenoblade Chronicles is certainly owned by Nintendo. I mean, Banjo-Kazooie is owned by Microsoft now, thanks to Rare being bought by them, so wouldn't the same hold true for the Xenosaga series and Nintendo? I know I'm beating a dead horse with another dead horse here, but I'm not exactly sure how the whole copyright system works with these kinds of situations.

yani

Smash Lord
A question, if I may:

Namco-Bandai sold the rest of Monolith Soft, the developers of the Xenosaga games to Nintendo, making them a first-party company for Nintendo. What does that mean for Xenosaga? Does it still belong to Namco-Bandai, despite Monolith Soft being owned by Nintendo, or does Nintendo have the rights to everything Xenosaga? I know Xenoblade Chronicles is certainly owned by Nintendo. I mean, Banjo-Kazooie is owned by Microsoft now, thanks to Rare being bought by them, so wouldn't the same hold true for the Xenosaga series and Nintendo? I know I'm beating a dead horse with another dead horse here, but I'm not exactly sure how the whole copyright system works with these kinds of situations.
Everything Monolith Soft created under Namco remains in Namco's possession. This is because they were a first party developer for Namco. Rare was only a second party developer to Nintendo, so they were able to keep their franchises. If Rare was a first party for Nintendo, Nintendo would have owned all of their franchises after the buyout. Hope that helps.

As for Namco reps, I see it as Pacman> Lloyd > KOS-MOS.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The problem I have with Namco having a Soul Calibur character in Smash is that it is guaranteed to be one of the series' key characters such as Nightmare, Taki or Sophitia.

All 3 of those characters have very little to add in terms of character diversity, but a more original interesting character like Maxi or Voldo wouldn't properly represent the SC franchise.

I think the solution to this problem is including Yoshimitsu as a representative of both Soul Calibur and Tekken.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Everything Monolith Soft created under Namco remains in Namco's possession. This is because they were a first party developer for Namco. Rare was only a second party developer to Nintendo, so they were able to keep their franchises. If Rare was a first party for Nintendo, Nintendo would have owned all of their franchises after the buyout. Hope that helps.

As for Namco reps, I see it as Pacman> Lloyd > KOS-MOS.
This actually does help and answers an otherwise confusing question for me, so thank you.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I will completely lose it if a Digimon does make it, they seem like they'd work rather well in a game like this.

Also, didn't Namco and Bandai do the Dynasty Warriors and Gundam games? :awesome:
That would be Tecmo Koei. Also, the Gundam games originated as anime series, so the thought of any Gundam rep is nigh an impossibility, seeing as Sakurai turned down requests for anime characters during the Brawl character poll process.

Smady

Smash Master
Pac-Man is 100% guaranteed if Namco is a huge part of development. It'd almost seem insulting for Sakurai to not give him a huge presence given his importance to Namco and gaming in general, especially when compared to other similar characters like Game & Watch and Mario. A no-brainer there, but I wonder if we'll see any other third-parties from Namco... probably not. What we will see is Namco stages, trophies, maybe an assist trophy or two, and music from classic Namco games. As awesome as it would be to see Nightmare or Heihachi in, I don't think they're the right fit, and anything else I've no idea.

Edit: I will say that the characters in the OP that aren't Pac-Man have no chance due to being too old at this point. Namco won't get any second third-party slot if they don't push for it a lot, and without the incentive of advertising for a future game, they aren't going to push for say, Lloyd, just because that one decade-old [fantastic] game has some fans. There's simply no money to be made.

tekkie

Smash Master
Klonoa would be very easy to make movesets for, has had tons of Nintendo representation since forever, and fits in perfectly with the kind of characters used in Smash games.

I'm super biased, obviously, but I would absolutely use the hell out of/probably main Klonoa in Smash 4.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
The problem I have with Namco having a Soul Calibur character in Smash is that it is guaranteed to be one of the series' key characters such as Nightmare, Taki or Sophitia.

All 3 of those characters have very little to add in terms of character diversity, but a more original interesting character like Maxi or Voldo wouldn't properly represent the SC franchise.

I think the solution to this problem is including Yoshimitsu as a representative of both Soul Calibur and Tekken.
Is this how is it said "key characters?"

Ever since Link was in SC2, we've had the idea that someone from SC would be in the next Smash game; and not because of the whole third party thing like Sonic and Snake, but because as Link was in Namco's fighting game; the favor would be returned by placing a SC character in Nintendo's main fighting franchise, which by then it was no longer Killer Instinct.

But if so, then who? I was too thinking of someone like Yoshimitsu or Voldo as they are too silly characters and not of the "main ones," and they would not risk placing some of the "serious ones" as it might remove the fun nature of Smash.

When Snake got in, it seemed they really wanted "serious characters" so I was OK with having a "serious" SC character, and who else but Sophitia as not only was she female; but most of the SC story seems to spin around her; despite it is not clear who is the main character or the "Ryu" of the series.

But then Mega Man was not in, and much less SC characters were considered.

Now there is a new chance with "Bamco" in this; however I do believe Pacman deserves a chance as not only is he iconic; but also he already met Mario in that Arcade Kart game.

So mainly I would want Sophitia in this, then Cassandra and then in third Yoshimitsu as he is goofy and would represent both of Namco's fighting series.

But now there is the problem Sophitia is "missing" and her kids are the new stars; personally I don't like them and sadly they seem the most likely to be in Smash if characters from SC are selected.

And outside of SC, let's remember how on last year's E3 they used Tekken a lot to show functions of the Wii U and in the past Nintendo Direct, they mentioned the Tales series, so we can't discard them.

Also a suggestion, as Bandai Namco will play a big part on this; I suggest a special section, not a thread on Bamco and have sub threads on there of their series and or characters to have specified talks on subjects (like a Ridge Racer thread on which we can talk of Reiko, or just a thread on Reiko along with those of Bamco characters).

Something I wonder, do the original characters from the Super Robot Wars OG games count?

D

Deleted member

Given that we have the producer of the Tales series and the producer of the Tekken series, I feel that a character from either of those series may be the most likely NB rep, as much as I would rather have Pac-Man or Agumon.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

This is the only Namco character I want in my Smash!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yea, Pac-Man. Everyone knows Pac-Man. He is international. There is even a frog named after him. I think he is basically confirmed.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Certainly Pac-Man or Yoshimitsu are the most obvious choices. Pac-Man for being as iconic as Mario. Still Yoshimitsu seems a little more likely to me as he represents Soul Calibur and Tekken and people from both SC and Tekken are working on Smash4. Here's what I'm thinking they might do: Since they know and understand how Yoshimitsu should feel in a game they might model every thing around him to some extent. Make him in the demo and tweak mechanics and every thing around some thing they know and then make Mario, Link, and every one else fit the new paradigm to some extent. Maybe that didn't come out quite right. As in they take the SSB mechanics, add in Yoshimitsu to get a feel for how it should all work and making him feel correct, and then doing other characters so that they have a sense of how to do it right. Hopefully that means going back and touching up Yoshimitsu a bit since the first character made will probably be the sloppiest. Besides how awesome would an event match between Yoshi and Yoshimitsu be? Where they're fighting over who gets to be called "Yoshi" by the fans?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
and Gil(Tower of Drauga).

......wait, I made this topic, didn't I? damn. well, this is to discuss any Namco characters, so go wild.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
AH HAAAA!!! I FOUND IT I've been looking for this thread.

I summon KING OF THE COSMOS!!! TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION

:phone:

Barbasol

Smash Ace
When I heard namco-bandai... I knew what I really wanted in Smash Bros.

Give me a Zaku II, one of the most famous mechs in existance.

Nuff Said.

Then we get a heavily armored mech with booster packs, a heat-tomahawk weapon with shoulder-slams, rockets, and an arsenal of laser weapons.

I can dream.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
if any digimon at all makes it in, then my entire childhood will have come together into a single game. link vs. mario vs. pikachu vs. agumon? yes, please.

klonoa would be cool too. i'm not so big on anything else N-B has made, honestly.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Pac-Man is the obvious choice. He's an icon of video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom