• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waluigi - Everyone Else Cheated! (Assist Trophy Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master

This guy has been in more games than can be counted on fingers and toes, dating all the way back to the first Mario Tennis game - that's right, he's older than Bowser Jr.!

His main competition for a Mario series representative is arguably Bowser Jr. and Toad - the former of which is a character who appears as Bowser's minion, and Toad who is already part of Peach's moveset and would be difficult to give one of his own. Paper Mario has as big a shot as Waluigi, but he represents his own series. Waluigi represents the entire spin-off lines of games and could have a very wacky and original moveset based around rackets, clubs and other sports apparatus. He was even an assist trophy in Brawl, unlike other competition, showcasing the appreciation Sakurai has for the characters and its fanbase. Sure, he has his haters, but you can't deny his presence in Smash would be a unique one.

Let the speculation begin!

DON'T LIKE FUN? TOO BAD, WALUIGI TIME!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
FYI Waluigi wasn't in the first Mario Tennis game. The N64 game was the second Mario Tennis game. The first Mario Tennis game was called Mario's Tennis and it was for the Virtual Boy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The Mario franchise, something Sakurai is afraid of expanding too heavily on, has two stronger contenders than Waluigi already. Props to making this thread and sticking behind your guns, but no one likes Waluigi. Easily the most hated character on the boards. Even more than Tingle, Krystal, and Lyn.

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Isn't he the most requested Mario character though? That's at least what a lot of polls from both the west and Japan are showing. lol

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Not in mine, like, ever. Over all three years its been either junior or toad in first and second, and waluigi in third.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not in mine, like, ever. Over all three years its been either junior or toad in first and second, and waluigi in third.
I remember there being some, but maybe I'm mixing them up with some of the Japanese findings from Chrono and Toise. I can't remember nor feel like digging them up right now.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I remember there being some, but maybe I'm mixing them up with some of the Japanese findings from Chrono and Toise. I can't remember nor feel like digging them up right now.
Mim sure there is, but, on this board at least, he's definitely behind those two. Arguably Geno as well.

Smady

Smash Master
Easily the most hated character on the boards.

On these boards maybe, I'd need to see proof of that. But in Japan Waluigi is more popular than veterans like Samus, DK, Wario, Bowser and is directly above Sonic on this list! Posted on Sakurai's twitter. Where are Toad / Geno / Bowser Jr. on this list again...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
A magazine that say Pika, Link, or Mario aren't the most popular nintendo characters, is a poor excuse of a magazine. What's that amagazine?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Easily the most hated character on the boards.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13982064&postcount=568

Super Smash Bros. Fan said:
1st: Geno (162)
2nd: Waluigi (154)
3rd: King K. Rool (140)
4th: Toad (110)
5th: Isaac (109)
6th: Captain Syrup (107)
7th: Mewtwo (92)
8th: Mega Man (51)
9th: Ridley (51)
10th: Paper Mario (46)
11th: Lip (34)
12th: Roy (34)
13th: Waddle/Bandanna Dee (22)
14th: Starfy (21)
15th: Palutena (20)
16th: Little Mac (14)
17th: Medusa (10)
18th: Pichu (7)
19th: Saki Amamiya (6)
20th: Victini (5)
Waluigi is hated on this board, you say?

This isn't some ancient poll. This is just a few months ago.

Shortiecanbrawl said:
A magazine that say Pika, Link, or Mario aren't the most popular nintendo characters, is a poor excuse of a magazine. What's that amagazine?
A magazine that Sakurai feels like posting on his twitter and taking into account. Don't ask me, Sakurai is crazy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He's showing off how popular Pit is, obv. And as it stands, Toad, Junior, Geno, and Paper Mario were all more requested on my poll in 2012 than Waluigi. (He was ranked 29th most popular newcomer) I would look back to 2011 and 2010 for you, but I'm on my phone unfortunately.

Smady

Smash Master
That's baseless conjecture. Sakurai has shown a humbleness when it comes to his own characters -- keeping Meta Knight and King Dedede out until his supposed 'last hurrah' in Brawl (which obviously fell through). He was interviewed by Nindori [the magazine] and the poll just so happened to have Pit in first, he did not cherry pick the poll to "show off." Give us some links to these polls, though, they do sound interesting.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Its kind of obvious why he showed a magazine scan with his character considered the most popular character.. I mean even viridii or whatever her name is is listed above Samus. Heck, according to this magazine Palutena and Dark Pit are also more popular than Samus. Of course he would want to show off this magazine. But I digress. Have you read the Waluigi AT description? You should quote it here for me.

Also, I plan on making a poll thread as soon as I get a chance to use my computer.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, I was going to say, SSBF showed me how dedicated Waluigi fans are here. Honestly, the character doesn't really have anything inherently wrong with him, its just that his appearances in games (or lack thereof) do. He needs to NOT have a sports set, or at least not have a set centered around that aspect. Waluigi needs original moves only he can do, I believe he has it in him, but right now, no one at Nintendo cares enough to show this.

That is why it would not surprise me, despite his popularity, if he did not make a character appearance. In terms of Mario choices, characters vary with popularity, ranging from Toad, Junior, and Paper Mario if you don't want to categorize him in his own franchise (I personally found that to be the preferable method, though honestly I did that out of convenience to ensure those who contested Toad and Jr. against him that Paper Mario didn't necessarily have to cut anyone off), and all three all have had their original showcased by Nintendo's hands, and all had more important roles. Waluigi's untapped potential and mysterious popularity are the only two things going for him.

Whether that is enough, well, no one can really know. So it is perhaps best to have no prejudice against the character, although in terms of the power of speculation (yeah there is no power), he realistically has a lot of hurdles to jump over!
Luckily he has long legs.

Smady

Smash Master
Its kind of obvious why he showed a magazine scan with his character considered the most popular character.. I mean even viridii or whatever her name is is listed above Samus. Heck, according to this magazine Palutena and Dark Pit are also more popular than Samus. Of course he would want to show off this magazine. But I digress. Have you read the Waluigi AT description? You should quote it here for me.

Also, I plan on making a poll thread as soon as I get a chance to use my computer.
I quite clearly stated just now the Nindori magazine was a focus for him because of an interview. He did not specifically choose a poll, it's the only one we know he has seen at all, which is significant.

Why do you think Kid Icarus characters are popular, anyway? Uprising just came out, it's a hardcore game for an audience who doesn't have many games and are rabidly loyal to Nintendo franchises. It's no surprise Pit is insanely popular right now, and doesn't reflect poorly on the poll at all.

The Assist Trophy description doesn't say anything useful... I will direct you to the announcement blog posted by Sakurai when he announced Waluigi as an assist trophy.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
The fact that he’s an Assist Trophy means he won’t be appearing as a playable character, but...
See where he mentions him being a playable character. Sakurai knows it's on the cards, even during Brawl's development.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The poll doesn't hold too much weight for me because I don't see Hades on there but I do see Viridi and Dark Pit, even above Palutena.

Obviously not legit.

Smady

Smash Master
It is a shame Hades wasn't on the poll. I can only imagine because he turns up late in the game's story mode. Definitely would like to see him in over any other Kid Icarus rep.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The poll has Pit over three of the biggest faces in gaming -.- also, the way sakurai worded the announcment of waluigi as an assist trophy made his inclusion sound like a big troll. As in he doesn't take him all that seriously. But who knows. He could be added. He certainly is popular ENOUGH to be considered, if only for a second.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Say can somebody show me to these threads/magazines that say toad is popular?
Cuz ive been going around the boards and im finding alot of people who actually want TOAD to be a CHAR in ssb4

I'd really like to know where the hell this all started :(

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
While I cannot even begin to estimate his chances of being included as a playable character, I'd love to see Waluigi in Smash 4. Goodness knows he has a very large potential for a unique and "lul-type" moveset. I predict he'd be in a "troll tier", be it good or bad. Waluigi for Smash 4: Nintendo, make it happen... please.

Smady

Smash Master
The poll has Pit over three of the biggest faces in gaming -.- also, the way sakurai worded the announcment of waluigi as an assist trophy made his inclusion sound like a big troll. As in he doesn't take him all that seriously. But who knows. He could be added. He certainly is popular ENOUGH to be considered, if only for a second.
How do you know this? First of all, the character is popular and Sakurai would not want to offend fans who put a lot of hopes into a game in development, he wouldn't mock the fans who like the character. Secondly, the text is from someone who does not speak English as his first language, sarcasm is not easily learnt. Read into it as you will, but I don't sense any irony in what he says there.

Say can somebody show me to these threads/magazines that say toad is popular?
Cuz ive been going around the boards and im finding alot of people who actually want TOAD to be a CHAR in ssb4

I'd really like to know where the hell this all started :(
Here here. Toad has no chance and is a random pick I don't see having any basis outside of assuming anyone cares about the character, when they largely don't.

And Sol Diviner you read my mind. He'd no doubt be an interesting newcomer, however he turned out.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Hades is just that character that seems clearly made to have a fanbase, he is that guy who just picks at everyone playfully and watches in amusement as everyone gets frustrated. Though, the scripts are a bit different in Japan, so perhaps his character didn't work as well as it did in the US? Just a thought, probably not true. Would explain how Viridi was received better there, though everyone who talks about Palutena vs Viridi hear is like, "It's no contest, the Goddess of Light!"

As for Pit scoring higher than the biggest icons, it is probably a relative thing like Smash Daddy mentioned, Uprising came out not too long ago, so perhaps the hype inflated him. Could be wrong with that as well, especially since plenty of us who play that game today would still pick several others above Pit, even though I would certainly put Pit high from that game, it is a true piece of art.

But this is a Waluigi thread, so I'll stop there.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Hades is just that character that seems clearly made to have a fanbase, he is that guy who just picks at everyone playfully and watches in amusement as everyone gets frustrated. Though, the scripts are a bit different in Japan, so perhaps his character didn't work as well as it did in the US? Just a thought, probably not true. Would explain how Viridi was received better there, though everyone who talks about Palutena vs Viridi hear is like, "It's no contest, the Goddess of Light!"

As for Pit scoring higher than the biggest icons, it is probably a relative thing like Smash Daddy mentioned, Uprising came out not too long ago, so perhaps the hype inflated him. Could be wrong with that as well, especially since plenty of us who play that game today would still pick several others above Pit, even though I would certainly put Pit high from that game, it is a true piece of art.

But this is a Waluigi thread, so I'll stop there.
As a big Hades fan, I largely place the blame on Japan's bias in favor of protagonists over antagonists.

Waluigi was on over -Bowser- for crap's sake.

smashbot226

Smash Master
This is actually the one Mario character I'd like to see added other than Bowser Jr. Always did think about making a set for him but could never capture the same zany feel that Wario's Brawl set had.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
As a big Hades fan, I largely place the blame on Japan's bias in favor of protagonists over antagonists.

Waluigi was on over -Bowser- for crap's sake.
Japan must be the exact opposite of Americans.

Wow that explains a lot.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I don't care enough if Waluigi is a playable character or not, but I'd like to see him at least as a supporting cameo-appearance character in SSB4's Adventure Mode along with others (assuming the mode features a full-fledged story like Brawl's SSE). He'd make a great LOLz character cameo.

Smady

Smash Master
Yeah haha, he's a great personality. You can even tell they 'get' him in his frantic assist trophy appearance.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yep, Waluigi's personality is what I like about him. He makes me laugh more than any other Mario character (except maybe Wario).

I can understand the hate towards him (not anymore though, now that we have Baby Daisy), but when people aren't using him as a troll, he's actually pretty likeable.

Smady

Smash Master
Yeah, I remember. Showcases some interesting aspects they could take advantage of, like his lankiness for Snake-like aerials.

Lucidthought

Banned via Warnings
my second favorite mario choice...i feel like his personality could lend very well to a smash bros set.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Not going to lie, Waluigi's kicks are BEAST in that.

If only he were in the Warioware series, I'd totally be all for him. That or appear in a Warioland game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why did I not know that video existed until now? The guys behind the Waluigi hack did a really great job, to say the least. I sometimes wonder if Nintendo actually lurk Youtube videos like that, or forums like SWF and take notes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, discussing Waluigi reminded me of that sprite comic that I did up during the Brawl hype.

[collapse=Sprite Comic]
[/collapse]

Of course, the comic came before Smash 4 was even mentioned, so it has no involvement in the Smash 4 discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom