• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Number One In Santa Destroy - Travis Touchdown Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
"This isn't a battle anymore; it's a motherf*cking war!"

Travis Touchdown

Travis Touchdown, for the uninformed, is the main protagonist of the 2007-2008 Wii game No More Heroes and its 2010 sequel No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle. Both of these games are created by the famous Suda 51 for the Nintendo Wii (although the first game had a PS3 port) and were well recognized as being one of the first (and few) M-rated games on the Wii.

In short, Travis is a nerdy otaku who is in desperate need of some cash. Upon meeting the mysterious Sylvia, Travis becomes an assassin and, armed with his trusty beam katana, murders his way up the ranks to become the number one ranked assassin in Santa Destroy. A brutal (and freakin' hilarious) badass with a serious attitude, Travis brings a really unseen sense of character to the Smash Bros. universe with his brutal wrestling moves and deadly "sword"play.

The main argument against Travis (besides the fact that there may be third parties who are more "deserving") is the fact that he's from a rather violent game. With that said, so is Snake, duh. No More Heroes is graphic in a hilariously over the top way with massive fountains of blood...which don't even exist in some versions of the game; some were simply to remove the blood entirely. Furthermore, Travis' foul mouth could easily be toned down while keeping his smartass comments in. Simply put, Travis is the sort of character who would add a much needed splash of character to Nintendo's mostly one dimensional characters (at least how they're represented in Smash, obviously characters like Bowser/Pit have plenty of character in their respective games).

Travis' general playstyle would involve lots of wrestling moves and could easily be -FAR- different from the "just another swordsman" cliche that seems to irk most people in these parts. Anyone who's played the games could easily get a good mental image of how he'd play.

Finally...Suda 51 himself has expressed interest a while back about No More Heroes building in popularity to the point that Travis could fight side by side against the likes of Mario and Link in the next Smash Bros. While simply asking may not get him in, the very fact that Suda 51 acknowledges Smash and actually shows the DESIRE to see his creation in Smash says leagues.

So yeah, for those of you who haven't played NMH, do so. It's probably super cheap right now and it's totally awesome.

Some Gameplay/An Overview By IGN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1SIAWWw1s (CONTAINS BLOOD/SWEARING/ETC)
Boss Death Scenes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJMvTwJZUM (CONTAINS BLOOD/GORE/SWEARING OBVIOUSLY)
NMH2 Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDWIfj_ALM (SAME WARNINGS AS ABOVE)

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Kojima has nothing to do with Travis getting in as Travis was created by Suda 51, he's not owned by Konami or anything. The only reason I mentioned Snake is because he's a third party character from an M-rated game with blood, violence and swearing.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Kojima has nothing to do with Travis getting in as Travis was created by Suda 51, he's not owned by Konami or anything. The only reason I mentioned Snake is because he's a third party character from an M-rated game with blood, violence and swearing.
Kojima and Suda51 are good friends.

Konami was the one that made possible for the PS3 port of No More Heroes 2 to reach America.

I'd mention Hideo since it would seem more likely for Travis to be added in if Suda uses Hideo as a proxy and manages to convince Sakurai to put him in.

Because that's the only reason I can see Sakurai considering a character Nintendo wouldn't allow because of his personality.

I mean think about it.

Do you really want to see Travis Touchdown on a E/T rated game?

He would be badass still as a fighter, but 2/3 of his personality and humor would be gone due to Nintendo not liking being directly related to such crude material.

I mean, they don't mind gory games in their consoles, but a gory bad-mouthed character in their big first (and a bit of third) party crossover tittle sounds something unlikely for nintendo to do.

Snake was different because even tho his game was rated M. Snake himself is really not that over the top and his personality wouldn't see a drastic change from being included on a kid-friendly game. (His moveset did thought.)

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I do want Travis in, but now I wonder how do his chances get affected somehow on Bandai Namco working on the game?

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
I feel removing the violence and language/sexual content from No More Heroes, while yes the blood is removed in some versions of the game, would be a lot more of an awkward transition to make then it is with Metal Gear Solid. No More Heroes is practically famous -FOR- that.

Besides that the character is, while not the most obscure choice possible, extremely out there. I would not mind him getting in the game myself, but it's pretty much impossible for him to get in all things considered.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
I feel removing the violence and language/sexual content from No More Heroes, while yes the blood is removed in some versions of the game, would be a lot more of an awkward transition to make then it is with Metal Gear Solid. No More Heroes is practically famous -FOR- that.
Yeah that's basically what I was trying to say.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only there was a new No More Heroes for Wii U, then I'd see him joining the fray.

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Unless Suda51 does what Kojima did for Snake and "practically beg" Sakurai to put Travis Touchdown in Smash 4. That's pretty much how I can see Touchdown getting in at this point.

JPW

Smash Ace
i actually would love to see Travis Touchdown in. There are some matches that would be great.

Travis vs Falcon. Travis vs Snake. And even Travis vs Zero Suit Samus lol.

I even had this idea for his Katana. you'll need to still charge it up. I was thinking to stay safe though it should be a repetitive button combination. Something like A,B,A,B,A,B really fast. Or a Down/up Taunt repetition. Rather than shaking a Wii-mote.
And with his grabs he could do wrestling moves.

But I reckon he'd be awesome. I love his games. I'm hoping he has a bright future in the gaming world. Even though it looks bleak.

For some reason when i play his games i'm reminded of Kill Bill. lol.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I hated and despised how bad the shadows were n the original no more heroes. They ruined the graphics of a somewhat decent looking game. I mean they were literally PITCH BLACK! But then the PS3 comes in with its 1080Ps and I'm like damn this is even better lookin them No More Heroes II...but wait...what!?! Travis Touchdown isnt supposed to have a six pack or any muscle structure! He's supposed to be a lazy Otaku!!!! Why Sony Why!?!?! And why is it that when they fixed teh shadows in No More Heroes 2 they got rid of the free roaming aspect and only kept like 1% of the clothing options!?!

Travis Touchdown Joins the Brawl!
I would love to see him dominte with his Luchadore grappling techniques and lightning quick Beam Katana Skillz. By the way I plauyed scribblenauts before and Beam Katana was an item you could use.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well, he is quite athletic for a nerd (practiced wrestling and is a swordman). Reason why he has those abs which are the envy of many guys :( (Abs are the new "boobs," "butts" it seems).

Get Low

Smash Ace
Can someone explain to me the significance of Travis Touchdown?
I remember when I spent a bunch of time on the Gamefaqs boards back in the day, everyone was all like, "Oh, HeRp DeRp, TrAviS ToUcHDowN fOr BrAwl", and people would respond with, "sTfU StoOpId TrOll".
I never really understood if he was a serious candidate or not, or where people got the idea of wanting him in Smash game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Can someone explain to me the significance of Travis Touchdown?
I remember when I spent a bunch of time on the Gamefaqs boards back in the day, everyone was all like, "Oh, HeRp DeRp, TrAviS ToUcHDowN fOr BrAwl", and people would respond with, "sTfU StoOpId TrOll".
I never really understood if he was a serious candidate or not, or where people got the idea of wanting him in Smash game.
He's in a Nintendo game from Suda51, who are third party

The game, which I haven't played, is kind of ...different... art and theme wise and has mature content. But the gameplay mechanics aren't that great.

Suda51 is known for absurdest themes in his games but relaticely mediocre gameplay

Get Low

Smash Ace
He's in a Nintendo game from Suda51, who are third party

The game, which I haven't played, is kind of ...different... art and theme wise and has mature content. But the gameplay mechanics aren't that great.

Suda51 is known for absurdest themes in his games but relaticely mediocre gameplay
Well judging by that description, it doesn't seem very likely that he'd be included in Smash 4.
I can, however, see why he'd have a large following.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well judging by that description, it doesn't seem very likely that he'd be included in Smash 4.
I can, however, see why he'd have a large following.
I believe you meant that why is Travis even considered.

Snake got in because his creatores begged for him to be in.

Travis' creator has actually mentioned of seeing his character around in the next game. Considering what happened with Kojima, it sort of made more possible for Travis to be in, specially as Suda does know Sakurai.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Travis has zero chance as an assist as he's the only logical rep from his series; it's player character status or bust. I mean, would you really want your character (as a third party character) being stuck in as a lowly summon that may not even appear that often?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Travis is one of my favorite protagonists this gen, but I feel that a lot of what makes his character memorable would have to be censored in order to fit in with Smash's family friendly nature. This is a guy who furiously faps his beamsword to charge up for attacks and throws coarse one-liners left and right. Unless they keep those aspects of his personality intact, I don't really want to see him make an appearance.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I think that Travis would be a great addition the the smash roster his character has a lot of fun potential for grabs and specials. The fact that he's in a mature game shouldn't make that much of a difference either they put Snake in so why not Travis. Both games have blood, cursing, suggestive themes, smoking, alcohol reference. So to say he's a mature rated game character isn't really an excuse. He's got lots of quotes that can be used that aren't profane and at the end of the day he has got a lot of potential to be in this game.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind actually seeing Travis in the game, seems unlikely since he isn't really a recognized nintendo name & his games are gorey so idk, there's always a possibility

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Travis is one of my favorite choices for smash; and like Norm said, he has quotes that would work in smash and would not need to be censored. I also doubt they would use the recharging jack off thing in smash. They could just give Travis' sword unlimited energy.

D

Deleted member

Travis Touchdown early on was on the road to be the next Geno. Would be funny if that was the case.

I'm neutral on his inclusion, but he really shouldn't be in before many other characters.

D

Deleted member

I believe you meant that why is Travis even considered.

Snake got in because his creatores begged for him to be in.

Travis' creator has actually mentioned of seeing his character around in the next game. Considering what happened with Kojima, it sort of made more possible for Travis to be in, specially as Suda does know Sakurai.
It's one thing to want a character in, or be fine with seeing the character in, but unless they put in the effort to GET them in, there is no chance.

Lest we forget what happened with Inafune and Mega Man.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Goichi Suda is also a big fan of Nintendo I've read more than one thing about him talking about how much he likes Nintendo so I think if there is another third party character to be put in it should be him. I mean why not glad hand the man since he's such a supporter of Nintendo. And in terms of what Pecock said with the recharging thing I thought that would be a good thing to have in his moveset lol I figured it would be his neutral b it would be like Olimar you would have to charge your sword to fight the closer it is to fully charged the more damage it does heh. I know they probably wouldn't use the jerking motion but the shake charge could still be in it.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
And in terms of what Pecock said with the recharging thing I thought that would be a good thing to have in his moveset lol I figured it would be his neutral b it would be like Olimar you would have to charge your sword to fight the closer it is to fully charged the more damage it does heh. I know they probably wouldn't use the jerking motion but the shake charge could still be in it.
That could work to. lol

Heres an idea for a stage if he got in. (Not saying he'd get in but it's just if he did)

Motel "NO MORE HEROES"

----------lll (Roof)
--------/-lll (Second floor motel rooms)
____/__lll (Parking lot, first floor motel rooms, and stairs)

lll = The part of the motel that faces the screen

/ = Stairs

Resembles that crappy design that i did.

Music:
Main Theme
Shinobu Theme
Twilight ~ RANK 2 Alice Twilight

*insert more music here since im too lazy*
Yeah, im really bored.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don't worry: since only one thread is allowed per character, they actually expect you to revive an old thread instead of making a new one. No worries, Ryik, it's not bad to revive a thread.

Travis is one of my most wanted 3rd party characters, alongside Mega-Man

The beam katana and wrestling moves would be fun to use

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Hadn't known that No More Heroes had a PS3 port until now, as a 3rd party character his chances do decrease, but with his Nintendo roots strong I still believe he can make it, even as a third party character

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Sorry to bump and get sort of off topic, but I made a thread on Travis' brother; Henry for Smash around; but so far none has posted.

Yeah, I know Travis has more chances as he is the main character and Suda himself has said he wants him in, but Henry is quite cool in his own self too. Also peacock, another idea for a level; would be similar to the F-Zero levels in that you are taken to different parts of the city.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't like when this thread pops up because "Santa Destroy" is in the title and that's a really stupid name.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That is exactly what comes to mind. As though Travis Touchdown is the best at killing Santa Clauses. December is a really busy time of year for him. He kills thousands of mall Santas and takes their fake beards as trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom