• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's Last Round Up. Dillon the AT (In glorious HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A relatively new title for the 3DS. Dillion's Rolling Western. A unique mix of spaghetti western, 3D platforming, and Tower Defense.

Dillion takes nothing from no one, a hardened cowboy bounty hunter and the best of the best.

Dillion is an armadillo. And as such, he can roll into a ball and spin across the fields at high speeds. He also has some fierce claws that he can combo out of from his "Spin Dash" and tear up anything in his path. They are made to dig through solid stone after all. Differences between Sonic's spin dash and Dillions include stopping when hitting and enemy instead of going through and the ability to slowly grind them away.

My image of Dillion would use more spaghetti western cliche's such as a revolver with ricocheting bullets. He doesn't use guns himself in the game BUT the turrets he can construct do.

----

Found by N30N​

Look at his HD glory!!!

What really happened​

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
(Armadillo with no name?)

Anyway, I can see Dillon if the designers are desperate for a eShop representative or if they cannot get the copyrights to Sonic. Although hypothetically speaking, I don't think Dillon would use guns. Maybe chucking dynamite, but not firing guns. Although summoning several cannons could be his final smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd wait for Dillon to get a video game sequel before considering him as a playable. Until then, maybe an Assist Trophy role.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Since it's related, I'll post my Rolling Western stage. Since you've played the game, Psycho, and I haven't, please feel free to correct any flaws in the stage that don't follow what was in the game.

It's the Wild West as seen in Dillon's Rolling Western. A graphic-intensive sunset shines upon the stage, cloaking everything in a slight orange hue. Wind hauntingly blows across this desert, and tumbleweeds roll in the wind's direction. In the distance one can see a large mission perched upon a small hill outcropping with a small village surrounding it, as well as numerous natural rock formations and several armed towers presumably built by Dillon himself. Although the area in which players fight consists of your generic barren desert of cacti and dry ground, in the distance one can see short clumps of grass dotting the landscape as well as Scrogs munching on the grass.

The stage itself is located on a dirt path that can be seen trailing off from the stage area into the horizon. On both sides of the stage formations of limestone and granite rock poke into the stage - these outcroppings act as solid platforms.

The main gimmick of this stage is the day-night cycle. At day the stage is relatively calm. But at night, a random Grock - the rock creatures Dillon encounters in Rolling Western- enters and roams about the stage. If a player comes into contact the random Grock, a battle with multiples of them occurs! An "fence" of orange electric current surrounds the stage in a square formation, and the exclamation "Fight!" quickly pops on and off the screen. Then up to four Grocks herd into the stage.

The Grocks come in three varieties:

Minion - The smallest and most commonly encountered of the creatures, they remain docile unless provoked by a player. If a players contacts them, they attack back with a headbutt that inflicts minor damage. Up to three of these smaller Grocks can be present at once on the stage during a "Fight!" sequence.
Giant - These titans of rock are large enough that when they walk through the stage, they destroy any platforms they walk into! Much like the Minions, they only attack on contact, and even then they don't have to do much but shake a bit to deal a moderate amount of damage on players. If present, only one Giant Grock is on the stage at once.
Cannon - These two-legged rock beasts crouch down on their legs on the edges of the stage and fire cannons across the stage. These cannons explode on contact with players. If present, only up to one Cannon Grock can be present on the stage.

While the Grocks are entering the battlefield, Dillon's towers in the background will be firing at them. Players won't have to (and won't be able to) attack the creatures as the towers will shatter them into shards of rock over repeated strikes. In addition, whilst the Grocks are present, any Scrogs in the distance will run off in fear.

Some other minor gimmicks are present. On some areas of the ground, Manju Grass plants from the game will randomly sprout up and grow. If these plants are hit by either players or the Grocks, they explode in a gathering of leaves. They sprout back out of the ground after a duration of time. In addition, one can occasionally hear the mission's bell strike out a melody.

--- Stage Example ---
.............................___
........_____
_l____o__o____o____o__l_

___ = indicates ground floor
l = indicates where the "electric fence" appears during fights with the rock creatures
___ = indicate rock outcroppings that poke into the stage (a.k.a. usable platforms)
o = indicates a location where Manju Grass can randomly sprout up

Stage Name: The Rolling West
Stage Icon: Dillon's cowboy hat

--- Music ---

Italics = Indicate unlockable song

Dillon's Rolling Western - Melody (Outside of Town/Arma-Mode/In Town)

I envision the medley beginning with the Outside of Town theme and then transitioning into the more intense Arma-Mode theme with a drum fill at the 1:18 mark in Outside of Town. The Arma-Mode theme then ends with a final guitar chord and cymbal crash at Arma-Mode's 0:28 mark. The song then transitions into a desert-landscape-themed ambient sequence, with the sounds of wind and plucks of a banjo and more. During this sequence, the "flute" melody from In Town, 0:28 to 0:56, plays. At the end of the flute melody and ambient sequence, the acoustic guitar from the beginning of the Outside of Town theme kicks in and the song loops all over again.

Fossil Fighters - King Dynal Battle
Doshin the Giant - Time
Chibi-Robo - The Final Confrontation
Tin Star - Melody (Title Screen/Out in the West)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gritzy Desert
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Shin Onigashima

And also the unlikely or impossible but still awesome choices of musics:

Mega Man 6 - Tomahawk Man's Stage
Red Dead Redemption - El Club de los Cuerpos

And a personal choice not from a video game:

A Light In The Dark - Outskirts

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really dig Dillon's design. I tell you, I'm all up for having this character in SSB4. Cetainly looks unique enough.

And I think they can work with making his moveset unique.

And having a western stage would bring a lot of variety. The closest to a western stage we had in Brawl was Eldin Bridge. :D

Lucidthought

Banned via Warnings
dillon represents a new series and is unique...the only problem i could see is the fact that it's just an eshop game. if it were expanded into a full one i would back this. otherwise it's kind of slim :nervous:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
dillon represents a new series and is unique...the only problem i could see is the fact that it's just an eshop game. if it were expanded into a full one i would back this. otherwise it's kind of slim :nervous:
Oh I would love if Dillion got a full game.

I'd hope they'd go for the more 3D platforming angle though, and much more into the spaghetti western stereotypes.

I'd love if they gave him a revolver that comically ricocheted and had puzzles were you had to shoot off things to hit a target or something along those lines.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see that there are people who want to add new characters from new series as characters.

The "X only has one game" garbage is stupid. It's ultimately a matter of personal preference, but I'd rather see characters from one series games like Dillon than bloat up the roster with more from existing franchises. Again, it's all one big opinion soup, but that's me.

But yeah, Dillon. Rolling, grinding, slashing, awesoming.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I would like to see newer characters from newer series as well. The newest series we have a playable character of it so far is Pikmin with Captain Olimar who first debuted all the way back in 2001 and there have been more new series introduced since then. sure most of them aren't really that big but it's still nice to see more franchises getting some love that isn't Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. Plus we can't forget older series like Balloon Fight and Panel de Pon that haven't been given a playable character yet either.

So I'm all for Dillon being playable in smash (Even though I kinda Prefer Mallo but Dillon obviously has more going for him then Mallo does)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He is arguably the best new Nintendo character ever made. I'd support him to my fullest since we need some eShop representation.

Smash Rookie
This is the first I've heard of him, but I agree that newer characters need to be added and I already love the guy. Full support!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone got any move set ideas? I've only played the first two levels but I hear he gains loads of new powers through the game.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I am on with Dillon on this. Odd how you placed the music from Tomahawk Man and TinStar, I wonder if Nintendo still owns the rights on TinStar?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
lol, to think that Sakurai said there were no new characters since Olimar with potential... I think that thanks to Xenoblade and this game, we could be seeing newer characters along with some forgotten characters from the NES and GB games. I would like to see some of these characters in SSB4, it would give more variety to the roster.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm really struggling with information on Dillion.

He doesn't have much history or backstory to him.

If anyone find something, I'm looking for anything anyone can find

DilowcsNollsnn

Smash Rookie
Not sure is he'd be a playable character, but I absolutely love the idea of a stage based on the series, It would be cool. Even if he isn't a playable character, maybe make an appearance as an assist trophy and some stickers.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
lol, to think that Sakurai said there were no new characters since Olimar with potential... I think that thanks to Xenoblade and this game, we could be seeing newer characters along with some forgotten characters from the NES and GB games. I would like to see some of these characters in SSB4, it would give more variety to the roster.
To be fair, that was just a BS excuse to cover his *** for not adding ANY small franchise characters. He simply made a sweeping statement that it wasn't a MISTAKE to not include any newer characters. Just another example of his hubris. However, I feel like these years may have changed his mind on that, especially now that we've run out of no-brainers like Diddy, Wario, Meta Knight, Olimar, etc.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I've been an underdog voter for years, and Dillion is such an awesome dude! Just because he has one game doesn't mean he can't be a Brawler.

BTW I did make a moveset (And it was not Sonic-like) But idk if I can find it now.

I'll go find it.

Veggi

Smash Champion
That would be great. I want to see someone's move set!

I'll make one myself when I'm done with the game, but so far I'm only at the eagle lady's town. So far Dillon has a lot of move set potential IMO, but the only thing that bothers me is that most of his physical moves stem from hitting someone with his roll. I'll think of something though.

:phone:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Dillon is pretty much the best pick out of the eShop Trio. I actually enjoyed his game more than that overrated Sakura Samurai game. He would fit in mostly due to his cowdillo personality and killer moves.

:phone:

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Against my better judgement, I wouldn't mind. Could be the fact that I love armadillos. :D

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Sorry for the bump, but I went back through the pages specifically to see whether or not there was a thread for this guy; otherwise, I probably would have made one myself. I read from someone else on the Smashboards that Dillon is a frontrunner among the European community, and despite the mixed reviews on his game, he is an awesome character that deserves representation in some way, even if in the end it boils down a trophy.

The only problem I could see is that, since he's an armadillo, he might have a few moves that could be seen as similar to moves that Sonic uses, though there's certainly nothing wrong with that, and Dillon has a lot of other things going for him that the two would never even have to share anything.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Right, I'd like to say that the only one-game rep we have is ice-climbers, and that's because they are a retro-rep. Ty deserves this more than Dillon! But I do have to say that, for some reason, lots of people here in the UK want Dillon in more than Mario and think that he would be the best candidate ever, whereas I'm the other end of the scale. Anyway, you've got most of the UK with you...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Right, I'd like to say that the only one-game rep we have is ice-climbers, and that's because they are a retro-rep. Ty deserves this more than Dillon! But I do have to say that, for some reason, lots of people here in the UK want Dillon in more than Mario and think that he would be the best candidate ever, whereas I'm the other end of the scale. Anyway, you've got most of the UK with you...
He's kind of got 1 game because it just came out...

Your applying a new character with the same logic as a character in a game from 25+ years ago...

D

Deleted member

That, and apparently Nintendo filed a trademark for a sequel, if in fact "The Last Ranger" is going to be a sequel.
(At the end of Rolling Western, that title has been teased).

Dillon might end up seeing his way as a new Nintendo All-Star, if in fact he's that popular in Europe.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I guess that that's true, but my money's on him getting in smash 5, since I feel that he's too new right now. More games will certainly help his chances, and his mad popularity in the UK has got to count for something.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, Dillon is a fine character who, like Golden said, might one day be an "All-Star" but at this point in time no matter how much apparent popularity he has in Europe (which I honestly had never heard before), or anywhere really, he still wouldn't get in as playable with only one eShop appearance. I think he'd be great in Smash, but not yet. Hopefully The Last Ranger turns out to be for him, that would be a huge boost, but I think the most he could be this time would be an AT, and even that's a gamble.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Yeah, Dillon is a fine character who, like Golden said, might one day be an "All-Star" but at this point in time no matter how much apparent popularity he has in Europe (which I honestly had never heard before), or anywhere really, he still wouldn't get in as playable with only one eShop appearance. I think he'd be great in Smash, but not yet. Hopefully The Last Ranger turns out to be for him, that would be a huge boost, but I think the most he could be this time would be an AT, and even that's a gamble.
He at least deserves a trophy though.
I don't know if he's popular in the whole of Europe, I just know he is on the island called the UK, not much more except that I didn't think he was popular in Japan.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
If he doesn't get in Smash 4, i will cry, simple & plain...
By then he should have a console title released or on the way....
In my mind his eShop game was enough success, maybe not leverage, to get him into Smash next

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If he doesn't get in Smash 4, i will cry, simple & plain...
By then he should have a console title released or on the way....
In my mind his eShop game was enough success, maybe not leverage, to get him into Smash next
You're setting yourself up for disappointment, the chances of him being playable in Smash with only one eShop game are minuscule at best. And IIRC, his one game was received fairly averagely, both critically and commercially, which really isn't enough "leverage" to warrant inclusion.

If he does get another game, hopefully this time a full one, then his chances would increase quite a bit, but I still think he's missed his chance for playability in SSB4. Maybe in the future...

Though I won't deny he does have a chance at being an AT, and I'd say if nothing else a trophy is pretty likely.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dillion hasn't been discussed for a while, he's getting a sequel and is one of the best made (and most interesting genre combinations I've seen) eshop game.

I would still like it if they gave him revolvers. I don't think western style guns would be too farfetched considering the towers guns could possibly be implemented into his moveset.

Ricocheting revolver. However you spell that word

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dillion hasn't been discussed for a while, he's getting a sequel and is one of the best made (and most interesting genre combinations I've seen) eshop game.
Has the sequel actually been confirmed yet? I know there's been hints and speculation, but as far as I know, nothing official has been said.

Well in any case, if the sequel is in development now, I'd say Dillon's chances for an AT were fairly good, though I very much doubt his chances for being playable.

And yeah, if the guns and bullets were very cartoony and exaggerated (and ricocheted), I could see them being implemented if/when Dillon does ever become playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom