• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coming in from Hippo Island, at ??? pounds. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
KING HIPPO'S HIPPO CLUB​

King Hippo is Little Mac's most iconic foe from Punch Out. He is the only character unique enough to not have a palette swap in the NES version of the game, where his boss battle is the most unique as Little Mac must punch him whenever he opens his big fat mouth.

Now, while Little Mac will much more probably get in, there are a multitude of reasons King Hippo could potentially get in instead of him.

While far from an important aspect of his character, he also appeared on Captain N as a thug to Mother Brain whereas Little Mac did not and was heavily used in promotions for Punch Out Wii, clearly establishing him as Mac's number one foe.

It could potentially be argued that he's more well known than Mac himself, as Mac is intentionally made to be generic. Most of the good qualities of his games come from his enemies, as the game is essentially a long series of boss fights.

Little Mac, on the other hand, was booted for some un-named blonde boxer in Super Punch Out. While King Hippo was not in that game, he was not so shamelessly replaced. While Nintendo has claimed that this boxer is Little Mac, the fanbase heavily disagrees.

Perhaps the most important reason I specifically want King Hippo is because he would be a much more entertaining character to play than Little Mac. Little Mac just seems like he would be a very bland fighter due to lack of any special abilities or much personality, while King Hippo by comparison has a lot more charisma. To demonstrate his moveset potential, I link you this. . .

King Hippo moveset by KingK.Rool

The only barrier King Hippo truly has to overcome is the fact that Little Mac is significantly more popular than he is. If King Hippo gets something in the way of actual support, I think he could squeeze his way in.

Let's make it happen people.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
His speed seems to be a little too fast for his character, though to be fair, it's balanced with his slow attack speed. Honestly, assuming they throw in Little Mac, I can seen them throwing in King Hippo as the antagonist opposing him. Goodness knows it wouldn't be Mike Tyson.

Smady

Smash Master
Great pick. This character's best selling point is that he's as close as you could get to a representative of Punch Out!! who isn't a generic player character [Little Mac] and could have a unique heavyweight moveset that also highlights what his series is all about. He'd make far more of an impression than Little Mac.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
A second Punch Out character is not entirely impossible, though that'd be a pretty spacious roster. The main reason I can see King Hippo and Little Mac on the same roster is largely because of how many reps Kid Icarus is getting with a similar retro series revival.

That said, this thread isn't pretending to not be controversial, when it's pushing for King Hippo as the number one Punch Out rep.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I also like to think it's possible for Little Mac and King Hippo to be in the same roster because of how different they are. I mean, they're both boxers from the same game, but given their body types, there's absolutely no way they can make him a glorified Mac clone. Honestly, Hippo's addition gets my support.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
I'd just like to mention that the Punch Out series really deserved representation in the original Smash Bros, so it wouldn't be all that odd to gain 2 reps at once now that its had it's revival. Little Mac and King Hippo both deserve to be in.

Lucidthought

Banned via Warnings
i don't really like the superarmor in the moveset...otherwise it's really good and definitely forms an idea of what he should be like in smash 4 :)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
i don't really like the superarmor in the moveset...otherwise it's really good and definitely forms an idea of what he should be like in smash 4 :)
I don't know. Given how slow his attack speed seems to be implied, I would imagine he could benefit a lot from super armor, otherwise, he may have even more difficulty landing a hit than Ganondorf does in Brawl, due to being interrupted almost all the time.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I too believe that Mac needs someone else, and we doubt Mike Tyson will ever return to Nintendo lol.

I am in with Hippo as a possible character for the game, and I do believe he has to be more vulnerable on it.

D

Deleted member

While I find King Hippo in Smash interesting, I can't see him in SSB4. Possibly SSB5 if Mac makes in in SSB4 (as I honestly have a bit of doubt on Mac right now..).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
YES! YES! YES!!! King Hippo is my favorite Punch-Out!! villain! I am so glad you created a King Hippo support thread. I absolutely loved the original NES game and I really should buy the Wii game. I really think that Punch-Out!! deserves recognization beyond a mere Assist Trophy in Smash. I want both Little Mac and King Hippo in Smash. Little Mac in the starting roster with King Hippo as an unlockable character you must use Little Mac to unlock.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm wondering how Tubby here would jump since he seems very heavy in Punch Out Wii. His "Armored" Form from the 2nd Tornament needs to be the Final Smash.

:phone:

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Come on now. We all know that the true rep of Punch-Out is Vodka Drunkenski. Seriously though I would LOVE to have Little Mac and King Hippo. That being said, Glass Joe really needs to be an assisst trophy that does like 1% damage with his punches and gets knocked out if he takes more than 15% or so damage.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Come on now. We all know that the true rep of Punch-Out is Vodka Drunkenski. Seriously though I would LOVE to have Little Mac and King Hippo. That being said, Glass Joe really needs to be an assisst trophy that does like 1% damage with his punches and gets knocked out if he takes more than 15% or so damage.
Drunkenski/Popinski is probably my favorite Punch-Out character, truth be told, though he's too off the radar. Aside from being more recognized by fans and by Nintendo, King Hippo's uniqueness among the boxers makes him more of the ideal choice.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The other Punch Out foe I could see be coming a character is Bald Bull as he is in every Punch out game (even the arm wrestling one) and his Bull Charge has been the bane of players for years. Hippo has a more unique design and public awareness though.

D

Deleted member

Bald Bull was mentioned within Family Guy as the one Peter is stuck on in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.
Any of those nuts that obsess over that show at least have heard of someone called "Bald Bull" and how tough he supposedly is.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm wondering how Tubby here would jump since he seems very heavy in Punch Out Wii. His "Armored" Form from the 2nd Tornament needs to be the Final Smash.

:phone:
Come think of it... we don't have a character in Smash who is a really bad jumper... like really bad that they couldn't even double jump. I was thinking that would pose an interesting challenge to gamers to play as a super-heavy fighter.

This super-heavy fighter would be very, very difficult to knock off... you know, like Metal Mario was in Smash 64? I think it would probably take about 200% to 300% to really push King Hippo around. He's like a tank. Slow but powerful.

B: Guard Breaker - powerful punch that can break through shields
Side B: Hippo Charge - powerful running punch similar to Bald Bull's Bull Charge
Up B: Hippo Crush - jump punch with two powerful downward punches
Down B: Hippo Hug - counter-attack with a bear hug like Bear Hugger's Bear Hug
Final Smash: Giga Hippo - he dons the metal plate on his belly (Title Defense) and becomes more agile and stronger

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
This super-heavy fighter would be very, very difficult to knock off... you know, like Metal Mario was in Smash 64? I think it would probably take about 200% to 300% to really push King Hippo around. He's like a tank. Slow but powerful.
Imagine a Metal King Hippo :o I agree, a bad recovery, but hard to knock off.

King Koopa
King DeDeDe
King K. Rool
King Hippo

Let's DO this. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What if King Hippo had -no- recovery, so, like in the games, once he's finally down, he can't get back up?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Imagine a Metal King Hippo :o I agree, a bad recovery, but hard to knock off.

King Koopa
King DeDeDe
King K. Rool
King Hippo

Let's DO this. :p
Don't forget King of Evil Ganondorf!

There needs to be an Event Match where you face the Nintendo kings - not just Bowser and King Dedede.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently K. Rool himself supports king hippo, and he's the most popular character nominated for SM4SH.

D

Deleted member

I would love for Nintendo to renew their license for Mike Tyson just for Smash.

He is pretty much why Punch-Out became popular in the first place.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
You could technically also have Bald Bull as a second Punch Out, just as important to the franchise IMO.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, K. Rool does need a fellow boxer of his caliber to square off against...
This. Nintendo's two most famous heavyweight boxers in Smash. It needs to happen.

King Hippo for Smash 4!

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
in the OP they say instead of Little Mac. Why don't they say in addition to? Of all the unrepresented series, I'd say Punch-Out!! could have 2 reps.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Little Mac should be in first. It would be like having Mr. Resetti or K. K. Slider, who isn't important to the animal crossing games as Tom Nook and the Animal Crosser.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
What if King Hippo had -no- recovery, so, like in the games, once he's finally down, he can't get back up?
Can't imagine this. Outside the importance of recovery to pretty much every character (even Yoshi, while lacking little recovery, has two of the best jumps in the game), it would make it hell if you were forced to play as Hippo in the inevitable SSE sequel.

D

Deleted member

As I said in another thread, the day I see King Hippo be sent flying in the sky by a Pound from Jigglypuff is the day I cut back on soda.

Such as sight would be hilarious and ridiculous to behold. :laugh:

EDIT: And before anyone brings it up, yes, it is more of a ridiculous sight than the same happening to Ganondorf.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I love King Hippo and proposed at one point that he could be a large and heavy clone of Little Mac, but since then I've decided that I'd rather see him as a boss fight. That way, they can maintain the whole shtick of only attacking him at certain times when he's weak... it seems like the only way to really do him justice, in my opinion.

If he got in as a character it'd still be awesome though. I'm not sure why the OP is arguing that he get in instead of Little Mac, though... seems like a hard position to hold.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
For what's it worth, growing up, having never played Punch out, I always knew King Hippo. I recognised him and knew his name, long before I knew Little Mac, and even Punch out itself at first. It's the same with a quite a few people I've talked to, his look is much more entertaining and memorable. I've even seen him placed on lists of greateset nintendo villains alongside wario, ridley bowser and ganondorf. Obviously he wouldn't get in before Little Mac, but I don't think it's ridiculous to think he'd get in as well.
though gotta say, AT seems more likely.

Also, this thread has by far one of the best titles. Jus' sayin'.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Get DK, King K. Rool, King Hippo and Little Mac all on the boxing arena stage.

that would be awesome.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Get DK, King K. Rool, King Hippo and Little Mac all on the boxing arena stage.

that would be awesome.
I am 99.99% certain that Little Mac is playable in SSB4 and I hope that King Hippo gets in SSB4 somehow... just not as a trophy or as a sticker... I want to see King Hippo either as a playable character, as an Assist Trophy, or as an Adventure Mode boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom