• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Castlevania characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

King-Xanther

Smash Rookie
I have been playing Smash since the beginning. Love the game and I would also love to see the inclusion of some characters that made Nintendo great.

Since the announcement of Lords of Shadow 2 and Mirrors of Fate I have had Castlevania on the brain. Konami lent Solid Snake to Brawl, so its not to far out of the realm of possibility to see some Castlevania mainstays in the Wii U version. I would like to see Gabriel or Trevor, Alucard would be awesome as well.

Heres my take on hoe some of them would work.

Gabriel

A - A quick strike with the combat cross, decent distance, 3% dmg

AA - A circular strike that hits hits both sides of him, decent distance, 3% dmg

AAA - Forward facing overhead strike, decent distance, decent knock-back. 6% dmg

Little recovery on the A chain something similar to Ike or Solid Snake allowing him to wade into combat while protecting himself from both sides.

Tilt forward A - A double strike forward with little knock back, great distance. 4-5% per hit

Tilt down A - A whip trip that has decent distance and knocks opponents down. 8% dmg

Tilt up A - Double circular strike that hits both sides alternating, decent distance. Good for keep away or in a crowd. Slow recovery. 4% per hit

Smash forward A - Very small leap forward with a overhead whip strike, good distance, causes blast when whip hits the ground, decent distance, great knock-back. 17-32%

Smash down A - Throws Holy water at his feet causing a blue blast to rush out both sides of him. decent distance,hit simultaneously, knocks opponents upward, 10-27%

Smash up A - Does a spinning uppercut with his gauntlet, he ripped that of from Ryu. 15- 35%

Dashing A - Strikes with the face of his combat cross, short distance. 9% dmg

Throw - Gonna have to steal Link's Hookshot, makes sense.

B - Charged gauntlet punch, like Ganon or Captain Falcon, great Knock-back. 25- 40%

Forward B - Throws daggers strait forward, can be charged to throw up to 5 daggers. 5% per dagger

Down B - On ground - Jumps forward then somersaults with his whip out before falling to the ground, follows by pulling the whip out of the ground for a blast.
In air - much like the ground version but when activated he does the somersault then falls to the ground then pulls the whip out for a blast.
Falls much like Kirby's rock. 15% dmg on the somersault - 20% on the blast, blast causes slight knock-back.

Up B - Shoots upwards on angel wings, if he connects to an opponent he grabs then and throws them downward. Like Ganons or Captain Falcon air grab but when he connects he throws them strait down instead of away from him. 25% dmg

Other notes -

Gabriel would excel in combat often times being able to attack on both sides of himself.

Downside is he would fall like a rock and not have the floating feeling many characters have when jumping.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
YES! Castlevania characters ftw!

Welcome to the forums, btw. :D

Due to me being an oldschooler, I'd love to see Simon Belmont in. Flaming whip as smash attack!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Assuming Nintendo wants to replace Snake for a different Konami character, I actually see Simon Belmont in Smash 4 than Gabriel, especially considering Simon has graced more Nintendo platforms than Gabriel has (Gabriel's only appearance on a Nintendo system being for the upcoming 3DS Castlevania title). Still, a Castlevania rep would be well-received, I would imagine.

King-Xanther

Smash Rookie
I know Gabriel is a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG shot and any of the other Belmonts have a better shot at getting in, but, he is the one standing out as my favorite.

From the sounds of it, Trevor, Simon and Alucard with be playable in the 3DS version along with a "Still to be announced" character.

Anybody from the series I would welcome with open arms.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Anybody from the series I would welcome with open arms.
A couple of long shots, but I still wouldn't mind seeing them:

[COLLAPSE="Maria Renard"]Though not as popular as Alucard, etc., she has been playable more than once. The two games that come to mind are Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Although Rondo of Blood was technically released as Dracula X for the SNES, it was very different from its PC counterpart, including Maria being in the game but not in playable form. She has enough attacks to warrant a decent moveset in a Smash Bros. title, so coming up with something for her shouldn't be hard by any means whatsoever. The first pic displayed is her appearance in Symphony of the Night, while the second pic displayed is her appearance in Rondo of Blood/Dracula X.

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Soma Cruz"]I'll be honest. Other than the fact he's a reincarnation of Dracula, I know next to nothing about Soma Cruz. All I know is that he appeared in a Castlevania game for a Nintendo handheld (I think it was the GBA, but I'm not sure), and that he has or had a popular following. Other than that, he technically has a shot, albeit a long leap across a canyon, at being in Smash 4.

[/COLLAPSE]

Diversity

Smash Rookie
Simon and Trevor would be my preferences, but Gabriel and Alucard also sound appealing. IF Castlevania gets the green light for Smash4 though, I'd also like to see a Richter assist trophy.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
With Dracula, I can understand if he acts as the antagonist opposite a Belmont character, but assuming Nintendo goes with the one-character-per-third-party route, then it isn't likely. Technically, they can put in Soma Cruz, as he not only is the main protagonist of a Castlevania game, but he's also the reincarnation of Dracula, so you kill two birds with one stone.

As for Death, as cool as he is, he isn't exactly a central character to the Castlevania plot as Dracula or the Belmonts, though granted he makes a good supporting character as Dracula's right-hand man. At the very most, I can see Death as either a boss or as an Assist Trophy.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
A problem with Dracula, is that he is a literature character, based on a historic person. Not sure how that affects his chances on Smash. But Saks wants characters originated from Video Games.

On Death, well there is a certain taboo or controversy if he gets in. Personally I would prefer Gregg from Conker or Manny Calavera but they have no chance. I mean, maybe if Death from Castlevania was his own character instead of based on the usual personification of death. Too bad the Bleach guys are manga characters, but I remember some wanted Arturo Plateado from the Wii Bleach game on Brawl; just because he "originated in a video game" (based on a manga/anime series).

I would prefer Simon or Trevor over Gabriel, but seems that Konami now wants to use him for everything. Alucard would also be good, not to mention he did originate in the NES while his big adventure was a PS one. (No pun intended).

The personal favorite over at SSBCandidates is Carrie Fernandez. But it seems she was ret conned now, also Maria, Sypha and Grant would be cool.

D

Deleted member

With Castlevania now being a part of Kojima Productions, and with the newest game bringing back Simon Belmont, I think Simon has a big shot if Kojima feels the need to push for him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd be OK with Simon or Sypha. As long as its not their awful Judgement designs. >.>

:phone:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Simon Belmont is the most iconic character of the series and therefore will be the character added if Nintendo adds someone from this franchise. I am not sure this franchise will be added but crossing fingers.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I'd disagree richter is much more iconic as and shows up more then the others. I would by far vote either vote richter or alucard.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The original vampire killer Simon Belmont.

B - Axe (throws axes in various arcs like Mr. Game & Watch's cooking, can throw up to three axes at a time)
Side B - Cross (throws the cross like Link's boomerang, can throw up to three crosses at a time)
Up B - Whip (whips upward like Zero Suit Samus's tether recovery - also based on Super Castlevania IV)
Down B - Holy Water (pulls out and throws bottles like Link's bombs but they have Ness's PK Fire effects to emulate their effects in the NES games)
Final Smash - Diamond Crush (four diamonds bounce all over the stage similar to King Dedede's Final Smash)

Diversity

Smash Rookie
The problem with Simon is that his character design keeps changing. Castlevania 1,2 and 4 were the only somewhat similar transitions from one Simon to the next. After Super Castlevania 4, you fast-forward to the Playstation's Castlevania Chronicles game, then Judgement; they're all different. And now he's getting ANOTHER redesign courtesy of Mercury Steam for the next two Lords of Shadow games. And then Mercury Steam is ending their series after Lords of Shadow 2, so if he's brought back again he'll get yet another redesign... or Konami/the Smash4 dev team could be smart and take the concept art from the 3 earlier Nintendo games featuring him and make something out of those. That would be the smartest route.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Simon Belmont is the most iconic character of the series and therefore will be the character added if Nintendo adds someone from this franchise. I am not sure this franchise will be added but crossing fingers.
I disagree, Alucard's the most iconic character...and i would like him to be a mix between his Mirror Of Fate and Judgement designs.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Soma Cruz is hard to come up with a moveset for, since there are SO MANY souls in his game, none of them particularly "iconic". But, here's a possible set:

B: Great Axe Armor: Soma sends a giant axe revolving around himself for one 360 degree sing
Down B: Gaibon: Soma summons a huge, winged demon as a familiar. It floats around behind him, and will immediately rush forward to attack the next enemy that gets within his range (though he telegraphs the attack by screaming) before disappearing.
Side B: Flame Demon: Soma throws a vertically-stacked column of three fireballs to one side.
Up B: Giant Bat: Soma transforms into a bat and flies freely for a few seconds. Pressing "A" during the flight will cause Soma to fire a weak sound-wave around himself.

Final Smash: Dark Lord: Soma transforms into an enormous bat-like monstrosity, and jumps around the stage a few times, dealing heavy damage and firing a bunch of snaking worm-monsters as he does so.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I disagree, Alucard's the most iconic character...and i would like him to be a mix between his Mirror Of Fate and Judgement designs.
No, it really is kind of Simon Belmont

Alucard is like the Piccolo of the series

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Trevor Belmont.

He can switch in Grant, Sypha, or Alucard with Down B.

That, or Julius Belmont, with Yoko and Alucard.

ThisGuy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0146-8807-8499
Castlevania Characters Anyone?

After playing through most of the Castlevania series it got me thinking. What Castlevania character(s) would be good for SSB4?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Because it isn't a nintendo all star, it's a third-party series with a fairly small number of games and no good characters to use anyway.

ShinjiK

Smash Rookie
Simon Belmont definitely is a Nintendo All Star. The year is 1987, near the beginning of the NES age. Along with first party Nintendo games and stuff like Megaman, the Castlevania games had a strong Nintendo only start. Castlevania 1, 2 , 3, and, Dracula X and Super Castlevania 4 were all well respected Nintendo games before Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night and others went to other systems. That's 4 main series games only on Nintendo.

Simon Belmont most certainly should be a rep, he could whip in all 8 directions and uses his sub items as other moves. Not to mention he can hang from ledges and stuff. He could also take a page from Reichter and be able to backflip. Why wouldn't you want more characters from the NES days? After all, he was he iconic enough to be in Captain N. (Along with Megaman, who I also wholly support, and Pit)

As for his looks, how about his classic look? Screw the Judgement designs.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
I would love to see Simon and/or Soma in the next installment. I can see Simon as the "ZSS" of SSB4 just a tad slower.

D

Deleted member

Of course, there's new Simon from that 3DS game that Kojima is producing.
He's essentially adopted the series as his own and rebooted it starting with Lords of Shadow.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Simon Belmont definitely is a Nintendo All Star. The year is 1987, near the beginning of the NES age. Along with first party Nintendo games and stuff like Megaman, the Castlevania games had a strong Nintendo only start. Castlevania 1, 2 , 3, and, Dracula X and Super Castlevania 4 were all well respected Nintendo games before Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night and others went to other systems. That's 4 main series games only on Nintendo.

Simon Belmont most certainly should be a rep, he could whip in all 8 directions and uses his sub items as other moves. Not to mention he can hang from ledges and stuff. He could also take a page from Reichter and be able to backflip. Why wouldn't you want more characters from the NES days?
'The castlevania games had a nintendo-only start'.
This is wrong, the first 2 games were for PC but were so unpopular they didn't make it to the U.S. Iy was first released in Europe, then Brazil, and finally Japan, and once Nintendo saw how bad the series was doing, it decided to buy the series and try to revamp it after seeing potential. Castlevania (1) was redone one or two years later for the NES, but only after it's next game, vampire killer, was on the PC already.

'Not to mention he can hang from ledges'. Guess who else can hang from ledges? EVERYONE! Even R.O.B...

'He could whip in all eight directions and uses his sub-items as other moves'.
"Oh, hi Mike" (I say).
"DON'T USE MY ARGUMENTS ON OTHER PEOPLE!!!"

ThisGuy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0146-8807-8499
Simon seems like a good idea but personally I prefer Richter, partially because I can actually think of a movelist for him.
Nintendo already used third party characters when they made Brawl (Snake was only playable in the NES game Metal Gear) chances are they're going to do it again.

ShinjiK

Smash Rookie
'The castlevania games had a nintendo-only start'.
This is wrong, the first 2 games were for PC but were so unpopular they didn't make it to the U.S. Iy was first released in Europe, then Brazil, and finally Japan, and once Nintendo saw how bad the series was doing, it decided to buy the series and try to revamp it after seeing potential. Castlevania (1) was redone one or two years later for the NES, but only after it's next game, vampire killer, was on the PC already.

'Not to mention he can hang from ledges'. Guess who else can hang from ledges? EVERYONE! Even R.O.B...

'He could whip in all eight directions and uses his sub-items as other moves'.
"Oh, hi Mike" (I say).
"DON'T USE MY ARGUMENTS ON OTHER PEOPLE!!!"
You make a good point about the Vampire Killer games, but if you're going to split hairs then you should just exclude them. It doesn't help your argument that "LOL CASTLEVANIA WASNT ON NINTENDO"

After that you devolve into calling out my points when I'm only listing the abilities Simon has used before. And finally, I don't even know why you are verbally attacking me and Castlevania in general.

Theres no reason to be upset. What are you 12 years old?

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Because it isn't a nintendo all star, it's a third-party series with a fairly small number of games and no good characters to use anyway.
He lost all attention and credibility with this post.
First of all, being third-party won't stop a character from being included. Second...small number of games? Do you know how to count? There are at least 15 Castlevania games out right now, maybe 8-9have of which are on a Nintendo platform. And thats a rough estimate.
Im not even gonna talk about the characters. They speak for themselves.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's right about 1 thing, Castlevania was on the FDS and MSX 2 before it came to Nintendo consoles.

I'll always know it from the NES though

Simon is a Nintendo classic. Back in the day, we didn't care if a character was third party or not. If he was on the system, he was a character of that system.

There weren't a lot of major title ports back then between systems

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
He's right about 1 thing, Castlevania was on the FDS and MSX 2 before it came to Nintendo consoles.

I'll always know it from the NES though

Simon is a Nintendo classic. Back in the day, we didn't care if a character was third party or not. If he was on the system, he was a character of that system.

There weren't a lot of major title ports back then between systems
Except that when the PS appeared, many migrated there; though we know some characters had games on Sega systems before the PS era; but still Simon, Mega Man and a few others were considered "Nintendo."

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I don't know that much about Castlevania except for the basics, but isn't Dracula as good as a representation than Simon Belmont for the Castlevania series ?

jigglover

Smash Lord
You make a good point about the Vampire Killer games, but if you're going to split hairs then you should just exclude them. It doesn't help your argument that "LOL CASTLEVANIA WASNT ON NINTENDO"

After that you devolve into calling out my points when I'm only listing the abilities Simon has used before. And finally, I don't even know why you are verbally attacking me and Castlevania in general.

Theres no reason to be upset. What are you 12 years old?
I didn't, and have never said that castlevania was not on nintendo, but you said that it began nintendo exclusive, and I just corrected you. In no way did I verbally attack you or the series, and I don't know what led you to believe that I did.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
The original vampire killer Simon Belmont.

B - Axe (throws axes in various arcs like Mr. Game & Watch's cooking, can throw up to three axes at a time)
Side B - Cross (throws the cross like Link's boomerang, can throw up to three crosses at a time)
Up B - Whip (whips upward like Zero Suit Samus's tether recovery - also based on Super Castlevania IV)
Down B - Holy Water (pulls out and throws bottles like Link's bombs but they have Ness's PK Fire effects to emulate their effects in the NES games)
Final Smash - Diamond Crush (four diamonds bounce all over the stage similar to King Dedede's Final Smash)
Aye this guy knows what the deal is

Good on ya, pal

ThisGuy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0146-8807-8499
My movelist for Richter's specials

B - Sub-Weapon
Side/Smash B - Whip rush move
Up B - Uppercut Jump
Down B - Sub-Weapon Switch
Final Smash - Unbridled Wrath (Flame Whip)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally I think Simon should be the Castlvania rep because A. He was the first B. All his games appeared on the NES and C. I really want a Captain N team of him, Pit and Megaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom