• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Wanted: Jack the Sheriff for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Overview

Jack is the officially named character from the arcade game Sheriff, or alternatively Bandido. In the game you were tasked to shoot down a group of 17 bandits from causing havoc and rescuing the obligatory damsel in distress, while also avoiding being shot yourself. What's so historically significant about Sheriff is the fact it was one of Nintendo's earliest titles, dating before even Donkey Kong. Although due to being criticized for its frustrating controls and being a financial failure, it quickly fell into obscurity, especially after Donkey Kong was released.

But it still spawned a few unofficial ports and sequels. Plus it was referenced in WarioWare and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Super Smash Bros. 4

Jack is an interesting case. While he is obscure and not particularly popular, he does have the advantage of seniority that beats out even Mario or Mr. Game & Watch. Basically he is the retro character among retro characters, which could be an interesting point of view from a Super Smash Bros context. Plus imagining how Jack would look in a modern day setting would be interesting.

Anyway, being basically cowboy, I could imagine Jack being a brute with attacks alone. I could also see Jack with a very effective projectile with his pistol, a tether recovery/grab with his lasso, and maybe even riding on his steed. But aside from that, I am curious about how people can turn a chunk of pixels into an amazing character.​

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Wow, now we're really going back into the prehistoric age of Nintendo. My questions are:

- What will he even look like in Smash 4? Will he be a 2-D flat character with the same look as his original sprite in the same manner as Mr Game & Watch, or will Nintendo do an update on his appearance, making him 3-dimensional and actually giving him a detailed character design?

- What the heck would his moveset be? I mean, with Game & Watch, at least he had a lot of things to work with, what with all the mini games, etc.. But Sheriff only has one known attack; point-and-shoot. That said, I'm sure with enough creativity, people can find ways to work in a moveset for him, but as of right now, I can't think of a thing... outside of firing his gun being his Standard B.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
- What will he even look like in Smash 4? Will he be a 2-D flat character with the same look as his original sprite in the same manner as Mr Game & Watch, or will Nintendo do an update on his appearance, making him 3-dimensional and actually giving him a detailed character design?
I presume for effective movement, a detailed character design would be the preferred way to go. It shouldn't be too hard to design what is basically the typical cowboy stereotype, maybe with a few cosmetic quirks to make him interesting. Like I could see Sheriff as a bit of a badass grandpa type character to reference his absence for over 30 years.

- What the heck would his moveset be? I mean, with Game & Watch, at least he had a lot of things to work with, what with all the mini games, etc.. But Sheriff only has one known attack; point-and-shoot. That said, I'm sure with enough creativity, people can find ways to work in a moveset for him, but as of right now, I can't think of a thing... outside of firing his gun being his Standard B.
Like I stated before, being a cowboy does give Sheriff some leeway with a moveset. Like the gun you mentioned earlier, the lasso that could be used to grab opponents or a ledge, dynamite to blow stuff up, brute strength, maybe even his steed could be used in some fashion. Just basically think of western movie cliches, and you could make a move set.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
My problem is, that I would MUCH rather expand on existing franchises, than open up the floodgates to a ton of smaller fanchises. But, out of all the options for a retro, I think he's a decent choice.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
For some reason, I'm thinking about the image of the Marlboro Man when it comes to updating the Sheriff's appearance. Then again, Marlboro Man is as cliché-looking a cowboy you can get... that or John Wayne, I guess?

Nah, Sherrif had always looked like this since it's his official artwork. :troll:

looked like this since it's his official artwork. :troll:

since it's his official artwork. :troll:

his official artwork. :troll:

artwork. :troll:

:troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
LOL. But all jokes aside, that is what he was originally suppose to look like. Then again, all the retros fighters were redesigned to fit in with the rest of the cast. I wouldn't mind a more detailed and gritty look for this cowboy at all. But the only problem is that his gun needs to at least look more cartoony since Sakurai has a vendetta against realistic ones.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
LOL. But all jokes aside, that is what he was originally suppose to look like. Then again, all the retros fighters were redesigned to fit in with the rest of the cast. I wouldn't mind a more detailed and gritty look for this cowboy at all. But the only problem is that his gun needs to at least look more cartoony since Sakurai has a vendetta against realistic ones.
True, just look at Pit: He was very cartoony looking, and now... he's just sexy! ♥

As for the gun thing, I can see Sakurai altering the gun somehow, unless he finally decides to be a little less conservative. If not, he may do to Sheriff what he did to Snake in some way.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think it'd be cool to meld his classic look, with 3-d. I would like to see him as a bunch of strategically placed white cubes in an invisible, cowboy-shaped medium. I also made a moveset. Sheriff is fairly slow, but powerful.
Neutral B: Quick Draw.
Press B and Sheriff Quick draws a revolver and fires. No range limit, average damage, unusually high hitstun. However, if you press B twice rapidly, he fires an additional shot when he draws a second revolver.
Side B: Shotgun
Sheriff Pulls out a shotgun, ***** it, and fires. Relatively short range. Slow, but very powerful. Sort of a projectile version of Falcon Punch.
Up B: lasso tether
Basic tether attack. If it snags an opponent in Mid-air while Sheriff is on the ground, violently pulls the enemy down.
Down B: Spur Kick.
Sheriff employs a spinning back kick. He travels in a short arc forward while doing so. Difficult to land, but powerful.
Final Smash: The Iron Horse
A Large train starts moving across the stage. If an opponent touches it, they get sucked under the train, and accrue damage until the train passes. And it is a LONG Train.
What do you think?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Sakurai is a conservative about guns as you think. I mean in Kid Icarus: Uprising there were weapons like the Flintlock Staff and Bullet Blade that looked like guns, and that was rated E10+. Although both weren't exactly like guns, they were still very similar.

If Sheriff does become playable, the gun would be altered slightly to avoid complaints from the clueless soccer moms.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
they've already included the likes of the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Pit. and since Sakurai has shown interest in bringing up some older characters, I think the Sheriff could make his first appearence in a long time.

he's not without potential. if they could work out movesets for the mentioned characters, I think they call pull out a moveset for Sheriff (along with a new design, like happened with Pit). as long as they bring recent characters and old characters alike, I'm happy. after all, Smash is celebrating Nintendo's history, which comprises of past and present, so I am all for these long forgotten characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dillion says: "This here town ain't big enough for the two of use, pard'ner!"

There can be only 1 lawman 'round these parts

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dillion says: "This here town ain't big enough for the two of use, pard'ner!"

There can be only 1 lawman 'round these parts
why not both? or would they be clones? :troll:

i think both characters have potential to be on SSB4, representing two different series, one old and one new.

maybe they could put a new event match in a desert stage pitting the Sheriff against Dillon to see who would rule the West! or both unite against the likes of Bowser, Ganon, Wario and Wolf...

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
they've already included the likes of the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Pit. and since Sakurai has shown interest in bringing up some older characters, I think the Sheriff could make his first appearence in a long time.

he's not without potential. if they could work out movesets for the mentioned characters, I think they call pull out a moveset for Sheriff (along with a new design, like happened with Pit). as long as they bring recent characters and old characters alike, I'm happy. after all, Smash is celebrating Nintendo's history, which comprises of past and present, so I am all for these long forgotten characters.
I made a moveset. Also, a re-design.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Reminds me of that OTHER single colored pixel cowboy...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am all for Sheriff. However, i would prefer him in his retro white design. He could even be the antithesis of Mr. Game and Watch! I'll try my hand at a move set later this week.

:phone:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I would definitely support him.
I don't see a problem with his gun. I mean, take a look at wolf's blaster with the bayonet. That's realistic enough.

The most fitting design for his gun would be the ray gun from SSB. I hope they bring back that skeleton effect. :)

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Also, would it be better if we refer to him as "Sheriff Jack"?

As most people know him as "Sheriff," and from my p.o.v. Jack sounds way too generic as we might refer to some other character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally I'd rather see Tin Star or Dillon before Sheriff. They are also sheriffs but more interesting. One is a robot and the other is an armadillo.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Yeah, I also wish for TinStar but wasn't sure how to mention him. Not sure if even make a thread on him as I am not sure if Nintendo actually owns him, or the company which made him and seems to be dead or in limbo.

Well Dillon has the advantage of being new and fresh in everyone's mind. But considering Sheriff Jack was Nintendo's first hero; he deserves the honor of bein in Smash as well.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I think Sheriff deserves it more then Dillon just because he's Nintendo's first hero.

I would love to have both though. Gunslinger human cowboy Vs. giant armadillo that doesn't need a damn gun.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I mean Sheriff is the video game equivalent to a great-grandfather to Dillon! He'd be a nice retro who could have an amazing redesign, while Dillon could be an interesting new series representative.

I think I'd rather have Sheriff, but it's a toss-up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sheriff doesn't seem like he would be very interesting. Sakurai adds retro characters because they have something that might make them stand out as Smash fighters, not because they symbolize some sort of milestone in Nintendo history. For example, Ice Climbers, the original NES game sucked. It certainly wasn't the first NES game. Most Nintendo fans forgot all about Ice Climber while they constantly praise Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, and even Duck Hunt and the R.O.B. peripheral (they didn't care about Gyromite or Stack-Up, the robot was cooler). Sakurai added Ice Climbers over Balloon Fighter, Bubbles, Excitebiker, and Urban Champion because they were interesting and offered something that could make them unique. What can Sheriff do that Dillon cannot?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sheriff doesn't seem like he would be very interesting. Sakurai adds retro characters because they have something that might make them stand out as Smash fighters, not because they symbolize some sort of milestone in Nintendo history. For example, Ice Climbers, the original NES game sucked. It certainly wasn't the first NES game. Most Nintendo fans forgot all about Ice Climber while they constantly praise Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, and even Duck Hunt and the R.O.B. peripheral (they didn't care about Gyromite or Stack-Up, the robot was cooler). Sakurai added Ice Climbers over Balloon Fighter, Bubbles, Excitebiker, and Urban Champion because they were interesting and offered something that could make them unique. What can Sheriff do that Dillon cannot?

Sheriff has gun/pixel blaster. :troll:

And he would count as a historical character. You should also realize, like it or not, that both Dillon and the Sheriff can be in the same game.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
The story mode could include someone making reference to Sheriff, calling him "the number one lawman" or something along those lines. He could come in and attempt to save the day.

I'd really like it if they would show a transformation of his original appearance to his redesign before introducing him as a newcomer! (If he gets in of course)

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If Sheriff and Dillion both make it to smash 4 I'd like to see them two cross paths in story mode.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If Sheriff and Dillion both make it to smash 4 I'd like to see them two cross paths in story mode.

Have a western style duel between them. Before they start to fight they're interrupted by a character who gets tossed at one of them for comedic effect. :laugh:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm so glad I found this thread (I apologize for the necro-bump, but I didn't want to make a new thread). I'm actually a huge Sheriff supporter. I feel like it would be fantastic to have a battle between Nintendo's essentially oldest character and one of the newer bloods that may be added. It'd add a nice sense of "wholeness" to the crossover. I actually have a moveset, if no one minds me posting it.

I chose to write this moveset under the presumption that Sheriff will not receive a redesign, and instead appear in his original, pixelated, and barely humanoid design. Imagine his original sprite, but rendered in 3D pixel art, and that’s how I imagine his appearance being. Think of this, and you'll know what I mean:

I feel that redesigning Sheriff into a generic cowboy would be a detriment to the nostalgia factor of the character (which is the entire reason he’d be playable; the nostalgia). Additionally, since I don’t want to just give him generic cowboy attacks, this moveset will rely heavily on Sheriff’s sole weapon: his pistol. This weapon is another reason I wish for Sheriff to stay in his original form: an L-shape that shoots pixels is far more appropriate for a kids’ game than a realistic handgun (Sakurai won't allow realistic firearms). I understand this moveset may appear bland to many people, but the sheer outlandishness of the character would give him tons of personality, in my opinion.

Sheriff would only have new “animations” where necessary (taunts, certain attacks, crouching, etc). I use the term "animations" lightly because Sheriff would move sprite-by-sprite, similarly to Game and Watch (who actually moves frame-by-frame), but in an even more outdated fashion. But really, for the most part, Sheriff is barely animated at all. For example, when he’s in his helpless animation, his sprite will just rotate as he falls. When he dodge rolls backward, he’ll just rotate a few times while moving backward. When he jumps, his model will just rise into the air, with no sign of bending his knees or anything of that sort. You get the idea. He'd be similar to G&W in that his movements would be limited to one plane; while he technically would be 3D, he'd still be a 3D adaptation of a flat sprite.

Statistics and Abilities

Size: 3/5
Weight: 3/5
Power: 4/5
Ground Speed: 1/5 (he'd actually have a fast walk speed, but an abysmal dash speed, in comparison to other characters)
Traction: 4/5 (he'd stumble forward a little bit after stopping, as he controls in his own game, but otherwise, he's not slippery)
Air Speed: 1/5
Fall Speed: 4/5

# of Jumps: 2
Wall Jump: no
Wall Cling: no
Glide: no
Crawl: no

Standard Attacks

Jab: Barely any different from his idle pose, Sheriff sticks out his pistol, giving it a hitbox. Pretty slow and not much range, but surprisingly powerful. 8%
Ledge Attack: Juts out his pistol. 6%
Ledge Attack (Strong): Sticks out his pistol and misfires, slightly damaging anyone in front. 7%
Floor Attack: Hops up, clicking his heels together while his hat rises off of his head, turning his body into a hitbox, with an upward extension. 5%
Floor Attack (Strong): Rises up quickly, his pistol jutting out forward, then flips around to hit behind him with the same pose. 8%
Trip Attack: Kicks forward with one leg sticking out for a small-ranged, lingering hitbox. While doing this, he excitedly fires his pistol straight upward, arm raised. 3% from the kick, 7% from the pistol.
Dash Attack: “Tumbles” forward, “rolling” into the opponent (all that actually happens is his sprite simply rotates forward). Actually decent speed and should usually hit an opponent far enough to keep Sheriff unpunished. 10-11%
Ftilt: Holding his gun outward, swipes the barrel upward. Sends the opponent up a bit, potentially setting up a follow-up. 10-11%
Utilt: Looks up and holds his gun above his head, swiping it in an arc. 11-12%
Dtilt: While crouching, whips the pistol’s barrel at the ground. 12-13%
Fsmash: Releases a blast (that takes the form of a few white, pixelated lines) from his pistol that hits surprisingly hard. Sweetspot right at the mouth of the barrel for burn effect. 16-28%. All of his other moves that involve a “blast” will have the same white line effect.
Usmash: Looks up, aims upward, and unleashes another blast, with just a tad less power. Same sweetspot effects. 13-26%
Dsmash: Unleashes a pistol blast at his feet. Same sweetspot effects. 16-28%
Nair: Sheriff holds up a “bandido” enemy from his game, which has a hitbox. Works similarly to Mr. Game and Watch’s Nair. 7-15%
Fair: Whips downward with the pistol’s barrel. If hit by the end of the barrel, it can spike. Hard. 12-18%
Bair: Looks backward and shoots a “blast” behind and diagonally upward a bit. 16%
Uair: Sheriff’s hat pops off and into the air a few inches. Comes out fast and has decent knockback, but some ending lag. 12-13%
Dair: Looks down and shoots a blast right below him. Has a tiny “rebound” effect that stalls Sheriff’s descent. Getting hit at the gun’s mouth has a meteor
smash and burn effect. 16-17%

Throws

Pummel: Pistol whips the held opponent. 4% per hit.
Fthrow: Holds his pistol to the opponent’s back, and “orders” them to raise their hands in the air before shooting them. Very low knockback. 13%
Bthrow: Paces forward quickly, then turns and shoots. 13%
Uthrow: Tosses the opponent upward with his free arm, then shoots straight up rapidly three times. 5% each hit.
Dthrow: Pistol whips the opponent over the back of the head, knocking them to the ground. 13%

Special Moves

Neutral Special: Revolver: What else? As Sheriff’s only canonical ability is to shoot things with a pistol, this is his standard special move. Pressing the special button will fire a very fast pixel (representing a bullet) that will travel straight and as far as possible before leaving the stage boundaries. Like in his own game, Sheriff can shoot in eight directions, determined by the directional input of the joystick. Also like in his own game, there’s a button delay that allows Sheriff to walk either forward or backward while shooting. This move can even be used while crouching! Sheriff fires rapidly and in any direction you please, so his ranged game is excellent based on this move alone. 10%

Side Special: Giddy Up: Sheriff gets onto his horse (he rode it onto the title screen in his game), which begins walking forward at a mild pace. Anyone “trampled” by the horse suffers up to 22% damage and mild knockback. Sheriff will ride forward on his horse until the button combo is released.

Up Special: 8-Way Joystick: Sheriff actually conjures a gigantic joystick (facing the screen) replicated from his own arcade game. Grasping onto it, the player can use the control stick on their controller to determine in which direction Sheriff will be flung, so you can even launch yourself downward if you wish. Sheriff doesn’t have a true helpless state, like Sonic, but can’t perform aerial attacks after being launched.

Down Special: Spinner Knob: Sheriff summons the second part of the arcade control scheme. An oversized spinner knob will appear beneath Sheriff, who will stand in the center as it rapidly spins around. If the button combo is only pressed, he’ll spin, deflecting projectiles. If the button combo is held, Sheriff will spray fire as he spins, though these shots only travel about half of Final Destinations’ length. Contact with the knob causes trapping damage, anywhere from 3-18%. Shots cause 8% damage.

The famed joystick and spinner knob of the Sheriff arcade cabinet.

Final Smash: Shoot-out: A large rectangular area around Sheriff will be bordered in, looking just like the game field in his game of origin. Any other players inside the field will be unable to get out, and 16 bandidos will encircle this prison, firing a relentless onslaught of bullets at the other players, and sometimes entering the field to attack at close range. This all lasts for about 25 seconds, and during this time, Sheriff is able to attack as he pleases. He is invincible to the bandidos, but not to the other players’ attacks.

Additional Info

Up Taunt: Holds his gun to the sky and shoots, with a pixelated, white “BANG” appearing over the gun’s mouth.
Side Taunt: Flips his gun in the air and catches it, like Fox does.
Down Taunt: Lifts his hat, nods, and places it back on his head.
Stage Entry: Rides in on his horse.
Victory Pose: Reunites with his girlfriend, and a large heart composed of smaller hearts engenders above their heads.

Color palettes

White is default
Yellow is from alternate versions of the game where the sprite was yellow
Blue is the same shade used for the bandido enemies
Red is the same shade used for the left and right borders in the game
Green is the same shade used for the top and bottom borders in the game
Purple is the same shade as the vultures
Beige is a reference to Custer's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom