• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Blue Toad​
He'd play like a Zangief/Fuerte combo.​
Because that kinda doesn't exist in the game​
And he likes grabbing stuff and running fast​
The end.​
Unlikely.​

I won't be posting that much since I don't like speculating. Sure I did it in the past but now, all I want to do is be excited for the Wii U, the games for the Wii U, find cool new technology in UMvC 3 and play other games.

Not that anyone cares but, *vanish*

I also have this awkward feeling that MYMers hate Toad or look down on Toad or majority of them don't think Toad won't get in.

----

Just gonna lurk.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just here to say I fully support Toad. I'm shocked he only got a thread today! Naysayers gonna naysay, I guess. He definitely has potential.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Toad definitely has my support for being playable! From any Mario character, he is definitely the most deserving imo.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I also really hope to see Toad in Smash 4. The Mario series deserves another rep in Smash, not having any new ones since Melee, and there isn't another character that could fit that role better than Toad, being an important and recurring character since the very beginning of the series.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Toad I think might become more viable due in part to the two Toads in New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U. He's also arguably deserves the new position then other Mario characters from seniority alone.

If Toad does become a reality, I'd imagine him as a fast and powerful light weight character with poor recovery, similar to how Toad functioned in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I will be angry if a different mario character gets in over Toad, as he is BY FAR the most qualified mario character not yet in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is the Mario character I really hope will occupy the 5th slot in the Mario series. Toad has so much more stuff to work with this time compared to the pre-Brawl years when he only had Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods on his resume.

:phone:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The new scrolling Mario adventure can increase Toad's chances. I still am leaning toward him not being included as a guess, but there are more moves he can pull from now.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
You can count me in as a Toad supporter as well (if the name doesn't give it away that is). I support Toad's inclusion in SSB4 and I believe that he also has a lot of potential to bring into the game (he also has a lot going on for him as of recently as well). I really do hope that the little Mushroom Retainer gets in this time!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As I said in our discussions, Toad has the potential to be this game's El Fuerte, El Blaze (lol), or She-Hulk. A lucha-libre inspired moveset with a personal take on it would be very suitable for him.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
As I said in our discussions, Toad has the potential to be this game's El Fuerte, El Blaze (lol), or She-Hulk. A lucha-libre inspired moveset with a personal take on it would be very suitable for him.
See, but it's not suitable. Heck, Diddy Kong could probably do it too. It's why I'm not a fan of the moveset in the OP.

But I'll make a different one.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
See, but it's not suitable. Heck, Diddy Kong could probably do it too. It's why I'm not a fan of the moveset in the OP.

But I'll make a different one.
Please explain to me again? I'm not saying Toad should have lucha libre moves per se. Rather, that they serve as an inspiration for Toad's moves. Like, take the body slam and turn it into Toad diving head first into the ground. To me, it makes sense to look at that kind of wrestling as a source of inspiration since Toad is small, has super strength, and excellent jumping ability. Him being a high-flying technical character makes sense to me.

Think of it like Lucario's normals. It's not too difficult to see that his moves are influenced by Chinese martial arts, but it's very much in character.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Please explain to me again? I'm not saying Toad should have lucha libre moves per se. Rather, that they serve as an inspiration for Toad's moves. Like, take the body slam and turn it into Toad diving head first into the ground. To me, it makes sense to look at that kind of wrestling as a source of inspiration since Toad is small, has super strength, and excellent jumping ability. Him being a high-flying technical character makes sense to me.

Think of it like Lucario's normals. It's not too difficult to see that his moves are influenced by Chinese martial arts, but it's very much in character.
The problem I have with the running type moves is that it's being unique for the sake of unique. Usually if Smash goes that route, it has good reason. There isn't much reason to give it to Toad rather than to have the moveset. The character should inspire the moveset. Even with the example you gave, any character could pull that off. it doesn't make much sense that Toad is doing wrestling inspired moves anymore than Wario.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Regardless of how Toad plays, I want to see spores being one capitalization of his character. Being basically an anthropomorphic mushroom, he could blast the stage with bursts of toxic spores that could do damage and occasionally cause the Flower status. Maybe even release a few spores as a cosmetic flair when ever he gets hit.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
*pondering* hmm judging by the OP's pic would you say toad has shoes?.... or bare feet?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I see toad as a flighty, nervous, SPORE-atic(getit?) character. Wringing his hands, looking back and forth. I expect a lot of screaming from him.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The problem I have with the running type moves is that it's being unique for the sake of unique. Usually if Smash goes that route, it has good reason. There isn't much reason to give it to Toad rather than to have the moveset. The character should inspire the moveset. Even with the example you gave, any character could pull that off. it doesn't make much sense that Toad is doing wrestling inspired moves anymore than Wario.
I'll admit, a run isn't quite necessary, especially in a game where everyone can run. Still, I just have this feeling that high flying wrestling moves are the most suitable for a character like Toad because of him being small, strong, and an excellent jumper. Believe me, I didn't know what to think for Toad until I thought lucha libre would be a good source of inspiration. In fact, Toad inspired the use of it, not the other way around.

As for Wario being suitable for wrestling moves, that's another true point,but there are many different types of wrestling. Go look at the many grapplers in many games, and you'll see many differences. Go look up videos of King, Armor King, Marduk, and Jaycee, all some type of wrestlers in Tekken.

Veggi

Smash Champion
A moveset I made up for Toad. I like the one in the OP though.

Stats

Strength: 5/5
Speed: 5/5
Jump: 1/5
2nd Jump 1/5
Weight: 1/5

I sort of just ripped these stats from Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart. He isn't exactly a balanced character.

Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: Yes (he runs up walls in Wario's Woods, so I thought this seemed fitting or something)
Crawl: No

Specials (because no one cares about the rest)

Neutral: Eats a mushroom, it heals ten percent, he only has 4 of them because that's how many he gave Mario in Mario RPG, he gets them back when he loses a stock and it takes him about 5 seconds to eat it, good luck getting 5 seconds.

Forward: Throws a bomb like in Wario's Woods. 17%

Up: He gets on a star and flys in the direction you hold like what he rides on when he asks you those questions in that one Mario Party game, remember how Baby Bowser had the black one? It does no damage and he falls off after a little bit. After he uses it, it takes a couple seconds to come back, sort of like ROB's up b.

Down: You have to be above the person and press down b, then Toad picks them up and holds them above his head, where he can can run around and throw them they would have a lot of stun afterwards. He had the fastest pull speed in Mario Bros. 2. 10%

A Combo

Toad takes out a spear and smacks people with it, the Royal Toad Guards have them at the end of Galaxy. 10%
^^^^^
SPOILER

Dash Attack

Toad's slide attack from Mario Strikers, it makes people trip. 8%

Smashes

Forward: Toad's special goal-scoring ability in Strikers where he charges up by holding his leg back and then kicks the ball, making it catch on fire. Why it catches on fire, I really don't know. Max 25%

Up: Smacks people with his head like in Mario Strikers. 18%

Down: Toad spins around on his head. Like the taunt when he scores a goal. 15%

Tilts

Forward: High knock-back, very low damage. He darts a very short distance and runs into someone. Like in Mario RPG, Toad runs into you and does 1 damage. 1%

Up: Takes out star and holds it above his head, you know how he gives you the stars in Mario 64? Stars are pointy. Yeah, I'm a genius, you don't need to tell me. 12%

Down: Has more lag than other tilts, he jumps forward and hits them with his head, same thing like in Strikers, as his tackle. 16%

Aerials

Neutral: Flails his arms around crying, I think he does this in Luigi's Mansion when you find him, but I'm not sure. Fits his character anyway. 15%

Forward: Toad hits them with a tennis racket, it's difficult to connect with, but powerful and has a bubble effect. 20%

Backward: Holds a koopa shell out behind him, like you could in Mario Kart when you didn't want to drop something, but just hold it behind you so people could run into it. 15%

Up: Toad does a head ram like when he shoots for a goal from the air in Mario Strikers, at least I think he does this. The knock-back is similiar to Mario's uair, but this one doesn't cover as much space, and this one has more knock back. 15%

Down: Kicks with foot, having a forwardish knockback. 15%

Throws

Initial Catch: With hands.

Bash: Hit with head. 2%

Forward: Do a deke with them in your feet and crash them on the ground. (deke = dodge from Mario Strikers) 10%

Backward: Backwards deke. 10%

Up: Bounce them up with Toad's head. 6%

Down: Punt. 12%

Final Smash

Golden Mushroom

Toad can rocket himself forward everytime he presses b, it does lots of damage and knock-back. Toad has gold sparks that fly out behind him after every use. It can function as a recovery as well.

Taunts
Up: Toad spins on head
Side: Toad puts on his head lamp and flashes it on, then off.
Down: Toad jumps up and down throwing one of his hands up in the air, switching per jump.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Toad is a popular Mario character, and has potential as a fighter. but his inclusion would possibly imply the replacement of Peach's neutral special move. or maybe not, since there are many Toads in the Mario series.

the moveset above by Veggi draws from many titles, thus referencing games where Toad is a playable character, which define his character as a fighter as well. they could also put homage to his "super strength" from Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) by having competent grabs. the moveset above shows it's possible.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To be honest, that moveset needs moar Propeller Cap, specifically as the Up Special. He should at least be able to shoot spores since he is an awesome mushroom freak of nature.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'll admit, a run isn't quite necessary, especially in a game where everyone can run. Still, I just have this feeling that high flying wrestling moves are the most suitable for a character like Toad because of him being small, strong, and an excellent jumper. Believe me, I didn't know what to think for Toad until I thought lucha libre would be a good source of inspiration. In fact, Toad inspired the use of it, not the other way around.

As for Wario being suitable for wrestling moves, that's another true point,but there are many different types of wrestling. Go look at the many grapplers in many games, and you'll see many differences. Go look up videos of King, Armor King, Marduk, and Jaycee, all some type of wrestlers in Tekken.
Let me say it this way.

Using Sakurai's criteria, one of them is that the characters must be unique. The problem with the lucha libra inspiration is it's not something unique to Toad. Other characters, like Wario, could do the same move. It needs to be something that only Toad could do.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd love to see toad in a smash game he's all ways been one of my favroite mario characters

also we are agreed on what his final smash should be

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if a Toad thread would be made, so I'm glad to see this one. :) I definitely give my full support to Toad.

Also neat moveset Veggi. It really does stay true to Toad's character; however, I do agree that some NSMB stuff might be nice to add in as well. Personally I think Toad should have these traits:

*High strength + High Speed + Low Jumps + Low range (SMB2 coverage and small limbs to balance it)
*Pow block, mushroom blocks, potions (SMB2 items)
*Wall techniques + bombs (Wario's Woods technique)
*Grappling and throwing techniques (SMB2, WW, NSMB Wii homage)
*Mushroom/spore manipulation (Unique move to stay true to character though it has been referenced several times in the Mario series)
*NSMB Wii & NSMB U power-ups [propeller, flying squirrel, ice, etc] (extra stuff just to make reference to Toad's recent "big" appearances)
*Kart (yeah it's not needed; however, Mario Kart is a big series and if anyone can represent it, it should be Toad :p).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was wondering if a Toad thread would be made, so I'm glad to see this one. :) I definitely give my full support to Toad.

Also neat moveset Veggi. It really does stay true to Toad's character; however, I do agree that some NSMB stuff might be nice to add in as well. Personally I think Toad should have these traits:

*High strength + High Speed + Low Jumps + Low range (SMB2 coverage and small limbs to balance it)
*Wall techniques + bombs (Wario's Woods technique)
*Grappling and throwing techniques (SMB2, WW, NSMB Wii homage)
*Mushroom/spore manipulation (Unique move to stay true to character though it has been referenced several times in the Mario series)
*NSMB Wii power-ups [propeller, flying squirrel, ice, etc] (extra stuff just to make reference to Toad's recent "big" appearances)
*Kart (yeah it's not needed; however, Mario Kart is a big series and if anyone can represent it, it should be Toad :p).
those are actually quite good ideas, with moves and characteristics spanning from many of Toad's appearences, it would represent more the Mario series. Peach would have her neutral B altrered to... perhaps something from her game, Super Princess Peach?

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
those are actually quite good ideas, with moves and characteristics spanning from many of Toad's appearences, it would represent more the Mario series. Peach would have her neutral B altrered to... perhaps something from her game, Super Princess Peach?
Thanks, and yes, I do agree with the Peach part.

Something from SPP can fit (maybe her charge shot that she uses with her Parasol might be a good one). There's also those vibe powers she has (I think they can fit in some way). Even then, I still think Toadsworth is the best substitution (as he is closer to Peach than Toad in the recent games and would likely be more than happy to take a shot for her and strike back with his cane than Toad would). :awesome:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thanks, and yes, I do agree with the Peach part.

Something from SPP can fit (maybe her charge shot that she uses with her Parasol might be a good one). There's also those vibe powers she has. Even then, I still think Toadsworth is the best substitution (as he is closer to Peach than Toad in the recent games and would likely be more than happy to take a shot for her and strike back with his cane than Toad would). :awesome:
with Toadsworth instead, it would also work. that way, Peach would keep her moveset, while Toad would be a playable character. it's win/win for Toad fans and Peach mainers.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
with Toadsworth instead, it would also work. that way, Peach would keep her moveset, while Toad would be a playable character. it's win/win for Toad fans and Peach mainers.
Quite true, plus it's not at all difficult (give Peach's neutral B Toad a mustache and a cane, and Peach is all set to go :)). That's why I prefer this substitution (though a SPP move is fine too). Besides, Toadsworth would fit better as Peach's supporter since that's what his role in the games is either way (Toad is more of a protagonist or active supporting when you think of his roles like SMB2 and NSMB Wii).

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
And when you hit this "mustached" toad then it spits out old man breath... nice

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Well Toad played a constant part in damn near every Mario game ever. I've always preferred the quantity of characters over their quality and I doubt anyone would complain about Toad, an octorok, Shy Guy, or even a goomba if they were added. Even if their moveset wax restricted to the basic A attacks. Many fighting games incorporate tiny or gargantuan characters as having a limited moveset but like less knockback or more power.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
They should make toadete a playable char too, and toadsworth! Heck they should just make all the creatures in the mario world playable I'm sure that they'd all have great movesets. :bee: ............... :evil:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
There better not be ANY non playable characters in the next game. Even if the goombas cant grab ledges and can only hurt you by jumping at you, I would still be hyped to play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom