• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

During Kid Icarus’ revival with Uprising, many memorable characters have been brought into the series such as Hades, Viridi, and Magnus. However, one character stands out from them only for the fact that he is essentially a recolor of the main character: Dark Pit. Dark Pit is one of the first if not THE first “dark clone” to break the stereotypes of one. He is not just an evil Pit with no personality; he is actually a manifestation of Pit’s inner self, and is a part of Pit as well. Brash, arrogant, and aggressive, Dark Pit proves that he is more than just a sprite swap.

Overview

While it is true that Dark Pit is essentially a darker recolor of Pit, remember that it is similar to how Luigi started as well (though not as a darker recolor). What is more interesting about Dark Pit is that he started out as simply a color for Pit in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but was deemed popular enough to be made into his own character in Kid Icarus Uprising.
It may be more likely that Dark Pit would just be a clone if not a simple recolor like he was in Brawl, there is still the chance that Sakurai may include him as the 2nd representative for Kid Icarus. How would he be different from Pit, you might ask. Well, he most likely would have some similarities to Pit, not unlike Luigi to Mario or Lucas to Ness, but like those two, he can branch off into some traits that are unique to him.
In Uprising, Dark Pit is seen specifically using 6 different weapons when you fight him, however, only 3 of those weapons can be truly called “his”. First, is the aptly named “Dark Pit Staff”, which is the weapon he used to try to snipe Pit in parts of Chapter 6. Second is the “Silver Bow”, which, like how Dark Pit is a recolor of Pit, the Silver Bow is a recolor of Pit’s Sacred Bow of Palutena. This is where Dark Pit would be similar to Pit, however, his attacks can be made more aggressive and focus more on stabbing with the blades rather than slicing like Pit does. His stance while using them can be made more aggressive as well to differentiate him from Pit in case of being Metal. The last weapon that can be called “his” is the “Ogre Club”, and while not seeming like a Dark Pit exclusive, its Idol description states that it is “The club used by Dark Pit in his battle beneath the temple in Chapter 6.”
What this means, that while his primary weapon can be the Silver Bow to match Pit, he either can use his other weapons as Special Moves, or be the first character to switch fighting styles by switching weapons by a command such as a Down Special.
While someone like Palutena is considered more likely due to being more “prevalent” within the series and being less likely as a blatant clone, Dark Pit is best considered as the “Player 2” of the series, not unlike again, Luigi. While I personally wouldn’t choose Dark Pit as a character if given the choice, I wouldn’t put it past Sakurai to include Dark Pit alongside Pit in Super Smash Bros. 4, deeming any of the gods like Palutena or Hades to be “too omnipotent”.
Sakurai is also aware of Dark Pit’s popularity, given that he recently posted on his Twitter a poll condoned by Nintendo Dream Magazine, with this Top 20:
1. Pit
2. Mario
3. Kirby
4. Link
5. Luigi
6. Pikachu
7. Krom
8. Yoshi
9. Ike
10. Zelda
11. Marth
12. Hatsune Miku
13. Viridi
14. Waluigi
15. Sonic
16. Dark Pit
17. Palutena
18. Kirino Ranmaru (Inazuma Eleven)
19. Gaia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
20. Fox McCloud

While yes, Viridi is above Dark Pit and 2nd to Pit in terms of Kid Icarus characters, is there any logical reason that he would add Viridi before Palutena if he doesn’t find the gods “too omnipotent” to include?

So what do you guys think? Potential candidate or no shot at all? Note, that I’m not too much of a supporter of Dark Pit, I just wanted to make my own character thread, and I didn’t think anyone would ever make a Dark Pit thread, so I claimed it as my own. I was going to do Magnus, but I felt he’d be done by someone else if I didn’t do it, unlike Pittoo.

D

Deleted member

"But, isn't Dark Pit just a recolor of Pit? How would that work for Alternate Colors?"

A way to counter the dreaded Alternate Colors issue is a color set like this, courtesy of Venus of the Desert Bloom:
Pit:

Dark Pit:

"Ok, so colors are not an issue, but is there anything else to set the two apart in appearance outside of colors?"

Actually, yes. First off, the weapon that they each use.
Pit uses the Palutena Bow, while Dark Pit uses the Silver Bow.
"But, they look exactly the same, but with different colors..."
True, but there are two key differences to tell them apart in case you happen to be colorblind. Take a look:

Notice that the Palutena Bow has two additions to it that the Silver Bow lacks, both of which are applied to Pit in Brawl.
1. The golden halos. These appear on Pit's left arm in Brawl, and on his right in Uprising. Since Dark Pit would use the Silver Bow (due to being his weapon of choice), he would not have the golden halos on his arm, or any halos for that matter.
2. The "patch" that you see in the middle of the Palutena Bow in the image. This patch is exclusive to the Palutena Bow, as Pit (or Dark Pit) do not have it while equipped with any other weapon. Notably, Pit had it on his left hand in Brawl and in Uprising. Since Dark Pit would be using the Silver Bow, naturally, he would lack this patch.

So that covers some aesthetic differences between the two, but here's something that I could also see happening.
To better reflect his more aggressive style of fighting and personality, Dark Pit would have more of a "fighter's stance" than Pit, with his hands in front of him rather than at his sides. He would also hold his two blades of the Silver Bow with a reverse grip in both hands (such as when we first see him split the bow), in comparison to Pit using a standard grip with his right and a reverse grip with his left.

Also, intended to be like Uprising, Dark Pit would lead with his left like when you control him or Pit in the game. However, I later learned that Pit leads with his right in Brawl in a stark contrast.
So it became an unintentional reference to Dark Pit being Pit's "mirror" copy.

"That's very interesting, but what about his moveset? Surely as he's copied from Pit, he'd be an exact clone, right?"

I'm not going to sugarcoat this at all; it would be VERY likely Dark Pit would be similar to regular Pit, so my moveset reflects this with many of his moves. However, similar to Luigi, I have given Dark Pit enough logical differences to where he is different enough from Pit to not be considered even a semi-clone while still being similar enough to tell a connection. Luigi is honestly the best comparison here, with his relation to Mario in terms of Smash.

Here is the moveset I have made.
Neutral Attack – Left horizontal slash, right horizontal slash, double overhead blade thrust. Alternatively: Left horizontal slash, right horizontal slash, then rapidly and repeatedly stabs with the blades like a serial killer.
Dash Attack – A flying kick.
Strong Side – Same as Pit
Strong Up – A kick flip.
Strong Down – Same as Pit
Side Smash – An “X” slash with the two blades.
Up Smash – Same as Pit
Down Smash – Same as Pit
Ledge Attack – Same as Pit
100% Ledge Attack – Same as Pit
Floor Attack – Same as Pit
Neutral Aerial – Performs a midair splits, kicking on both sides.
Forward Aerial – Same as Pit
Back Aerial – A back kick. Think of it like Sonic’s Back Aerial
Up Aerial – Thrusts legs upward, similar to Snake’s Up Aerial.
Down Aerial – Thrusts blades below.
Pummel – Same as Pit
Forward Throw – Same as Pit
Back Throw – Same as Pit
Up Throw – Same as Pit
Down Throw – Same as Pit
(Seeing as Mario and Luigi share throws, it would be fitting for Pit and Dark Pit to do the same.)
Glide Attack – Same as Pit
Standard Special- Silver Arrow: Similar to Palutena’s Arrow, Dark Pit will draw a purple glowing arrow from the Silver Bow. He can aim upwards or turn around just like Pit while holding the Special Button. However, Dark Pit’s arrows do not charge in strength and cannot be curved once they are shot. Like in Uprising, the arrows have a homing property similar to Samus’ weaker Missiles when they fly near an opponent. The arrows also are at their strongest when shot closer to the opponent, as they lose strength the farther they fly.
Side Special- Dark Charge: Completely replacing Angel Ring, Dark Pit hovers above the ground for a second, then rushes forward surrounded by purple energy like in his boss fight.
Up Special- Power of Flight: Dark Pit’s wings glow purple like how Pit’s wings glow blue during Wings of Icarus, and he is capable of “free-flight” in any direction temporarily (similar to controlling Super Sonic, but with much less reckless speed). This is to reference Dark Pit’s upgraded flight capabilities while using Pandora’s power, and his overall control of flight, unlike Pit who relies on Palutena.
Down Special- Dark Pit Staff: Replacing Mirror Shield (as he has no access to any of the Great Treasures), Dark Pit will pull out his signature staff instead. If the Special Button is pressed rapidly when he pulls it out, he will fire multiple shots in a similar manner to Fox and Falco with their Blasters. However, while firing, he can angle the staff upwards or downwards with the Control Stick. If the Special Button is held instead of rapidly pressed, he instead charges the shot, and can fire it once the button is released. While charging, he can still angle the shot.
Final Smash- Dark Rain: The Bow weapon’s special attack and Dark Pit’s strongest attack in his boss fight. Dark Pit will point his Silver Bow to the sky while a circular field covers a certain radius around him. He will then shoot hundreds of arrows to the sky, which will all rain down within the circular radius, causing massive damage to those caught in the attack. This Final Smash is not meant to be a finishing move, but rather a heavy damage dealing move. It is up to the player to take advantage and KO the weakened opponents once it is finished.

"But why Dark Pit? Why not someone like Palutena?"

Note, that a lot of this is subjective, so my beliefs won't necessarily reflect that of others, nor am I claiming this to be the "right" line of thinking.

1. Dark Pit is Pit's closest ally in combat.
Before you respond to this, read it carefully. Closest ally in combat. I am well aware Palutena is Pit's closest ally in general.
However, when it comes to combat, Dark Pit (once he's had his revelation after Pit was sealed in the Ring of Chaos) helps out Pit in fights whenever he can. This is mostly attributed to the fact that if something were to happen to Pit, Dark Pit would cease to exist as well.
Dark Pit also assists Pit in saving Palutena's soul from the Chaos Kin due to his overall connection to Pit, and when Pit's wings are destroyed, he risks his own life to find the Rewind Spring to save Pit's, further cementing his closeness to Pit.

2. Dark Pit is the only playable character in the story that isn't Pit.
This doesn't really mean anything in the long run, but it's still notable. Now, I know what you're thinking..."what about Magnus?", well, he doesn't count. Mainly because you aren't really playing as Magnus, you are playing as Pit in Magnus' body. If he counts, then the little girl and the dog right before him count as well.

3. Palutena fights through Pit.
Yes, we all know Palutena is more than capable of working as a fighter in Smash Bros., however, a key thing to realize is that she hardly does any fighting herself; she uses Pit to fight for her. The only time she does any fighting is when she is under the control of the Chaos Kin.
Think about it; she makes a special Bow for Pit to use, controls his flight, and sends Pit out to essentially do her dirty work (not implying she's evil or anything) in Uprising.
What I mean is, in the original Kid Icarus, she's turned to stone in a surprise attack by Medusa, so she can't really do anything. But in Uprising, she makes Pit go after Medusa and her army, when she's fully capable of handling the situation herself (or at least alongside Pit in combat), considering she is said to be Medusa's equal in power.
She also supplies Pit with her moral support, something that he himself said he couldn't do without (I think; don't quote me on that). This type of relationship, Sakurai heavily emphasized in Uprising, and thus he could feel that it would be best to take a similar route by having Palutena exclusive to a Final Smash and/or something similar to a Codec.

4. Palutena is a goddess.
Now here's where we start to get a little confusion. I am NOT advocating for Palutena to be excluded for Smash due to being a goddess. I have no problem with her. However, I'm going to try to see this how I feel Sakurai might see it.
Being the one to flesh her out in Uprising, he himself said that Palutena was an omnipotent being, and that she can "pretty much do whatever she wants". No other playable character in Smash has that kind of power; not even Ganondorf. This implies that she is on the same tier of power as Master Hand, who's power is said to "border on absolute".
She is also said to be equal in power to Medusa, which means that in order for Pit to even stand a chance against her in serious combat, he would need the Three Sacred Treasures, which are required (in canon; I'm well aware you can unlock the ability to fight Medusa without them) to be able harm Medusa.
The only time you see her in not such a powerful state is her boss fight, where she is heavily weakened due to years of trying to resist the control of the Chaos Kin.
Again, I'm not saying she should be excluded for that reason, but it's something that I feel Sakurai may think about.

And that's about it. People need to not judge books by their covers, and stop fearing clones/semiclones. They've been a part of Smash since the very beginning, and they're likely to KEEP being a part of it.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I enjoy the character and like that you made the thread for him, but personally I would like Pit to have the Pittoo skin. ^_^;

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pittoo is cool. But I think I'd rather want to see the likes of Palutena, Medusa, Hades and Magnus before Pittoo. Maybe if Sakurai likes to take the Alternate costume thing a step further and give the dark recolour the voice and everything from Pittoo. But I find that highly unlikely.

D

Deleted member

Pittoo is cool. But I think I'd rather want to see the likes of Palutena, Medusa, Hades and Magnus before Pittoo. Maybe if Sakurai likes to take the Alternate costume thing a step further and give the dark recolour the voice and everything from Pittoo. But I find that highly unlikely.
I would love to see this as well, to be quite honest.

@mypants: Tell that to Luigi.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I can see him getting in over Magnus easy, as Magnus was meant to mock western culture and let Sakurai get on a sort of high horse. Magnus also is done with pretty quickly while Dark Pit sticks around a bit.

But yeah, he still has to get in over Hades for the 3rd KI slot - something Medusa and Viridi are already desperately clawing at. And that's assuming there -is- a 3rd KI slot.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Luigi:
Thinner
Taller
Different color(Green instead of red,lighter blue)
Different mustache

Dark Pit:
Different color(Purple-ish black)

Do the math,he would be worth if there was a REAL difference.

If you show Luigi and Mario to someone who doesn't know them,he'll differ them.
Pit and Dark Pit,not so much.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
this thread should've never been made, why? Because "Dark Pit" is already a palettle swap. what's the point of having 2 of the same characters in the game? It will be like Melee, Clones everywhere.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Luigi:
Thinner
Taller
Different color(Green instead of red,lighter blue)
Different mustache

Dark Pit:
Different color(Purple-ish black)

Do the math,he would be worth if there was a REAL difference.

If you show Luigi and Mario to someone who doesn't know them,he'll differ them.
Pit and Dark Pit,not so much.

He's talking about how Luigi "originally" was little else but a colour swap of Mario which is true. It was later on After Super Mario Bros where he got a more original look. Although he still had the colour swap curse in the NES version of Super Mario Bros 3 and the non-All Star version of Super Mario World.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Would this then mean we should expect Dark Pit to change in means of look as the series go on, yet acguire his own name? Good luck seeing that happen (-l´l-);

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Would this then mean we should expect Dark Pit to change in means of look as the series go on, yet acguire his own name? Good luck seeing that happen (-l´l-);
Hey I wasn't implying that. (Not that I mind him wearing a different attire, would be interesting) I just said that Luigi originally also looked exactly like Mario and then later on got a different look with his own personality and all. Dark Pit already has his own personality. I'm not expecting Pittoo to get his own game, let Pit get some more for now before we think about that... :troll:

D

Deleted member

this thread should've never been made, why? Because "Dark Pit" is already a palettle swap. what's the point of having 2 of the same characters in the game? It will be like Melee, Clones everywhere.
Says the one who made a blog about how fricking Obi-Wan should be in Smash Bros.

Also, way to read what I had wrote. Seriously, you should just leave and never come back.
EDIT: Added you to Ignore List. Don't even bother posting in here again. Not going to see it.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Yeah,seriously.
If,for some reason,Dark Pit get a redesign,he would be much more worth it.Change the clothes a little,even mirror it?

Now,all he need to be really different is his trophy saying that his fans are waiting so he gets his own game:troll:

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Don't worry, Golden. I like Pittoo.

You guys are dumb for thinking there's no unique potential here.

Give him the Dark Pit Staff and I'd be overjoyed.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Still, Dark Pit is a palette swap no matter how you look at him. Even his weapon of choice (Silver Bow) is a knockoff of Pit's weapon (Palutena Bow), and he has all of Pit's abilities regardless. Including being the butt of every joke.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I didn't say i didn't like him.
The difference with luigi is that he was different before 64 already.
And even if he was not,he was different in Smash 64,Dark Pit needs the same,like i stated before.
And Dark Pit's arsenal is the same,duh!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have to say, taking a hero, painting him black, and calling him Dark "blahblah" is lazy design. We had Dark Pit in Brawl already as a palette swap. Keep that.

D

Deleted member

I didn't say i didn't like him.
The difference with luigi is that he was different before 64 already.
And even if he was not,he was different in Smash 64,Dark Pit needs the same,like i stated before.
And Dark Pit's arsenal is the same,duh!
That's like saying Magnus can't get in just because Pit can use his sword.
There are three weapons that are esentially "Dark Pit's" that Pit can also use (like Magnus' sword). The Silver Bow (which yes, is a recolor of the Sacred Bow of Palutena), the Dark Pit Staff (it's freaking NAMED after him), and the Ogre Club (its Idol references the fact that it's a weapon Dark Pit used).

D

Deleted member

I don't really like double posting, but the reserved space has been edited with alt colors.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
well... regarding Dark Pit, it's kinda hard to decide whether he should be just a color swap for Pit or a full fledged character, because even though he's literally a copy of Pit (he was created from Pit in Uprising), he's not without personality, which is a major departure from other cliché'd Dark Clones (at least the Nintendo ones).

unlike, say Dark Link or Dark Samus, he has a distinct personality that stands out as a character, and not just some evil twin who's just bent on destruction.
He even helps Pit in the original game.

now, another important factor is that due to the massive amount of weapons in Kid Icarus Uprising, it wouldn't be too hard to make a distinct moveset, heck there's even a weapon named after him (the Dark Pit staff)... which brings up a similar situation to a certain Star Fox character. like I said in the Krystal thread, how many characters in Smash use staffs as weapon?

and like I said in the Zoroark thread... he has his own personality which could reflect on his fighting style.

yes, the only problem is the fact that he's nearly identical to Pit, heck he even owes his existance to Pit's black color in Brawl. which could be hard to distinguish from his counterpart... BUT! if he's using a different weapon and therefore, different moves, he could be easier to distiguish from Pit, perhaps even when in a Metal form, which is unlikely to happen, since Metal Boxes are kinda rare... and when playing Metal Brawl in Special mode with two of the same character, you can't say who's whom (unless you see the player indicator above the character's head). so the Metal excuse is thrown of the window.

in a nutshell, give the fallen angel his signature staff from Uprising, give him a fighting style that reflects on his personality from said game and that's enough for him to earn a spot in the roster. and just to say that it's not just the appearence that makes a whole character... you have to look deeper into the character's behavior and personality. I always thought it lazy for Roy to be a Marth clone, for example. but it doesn't surprise me much that Falco is a Fox semi-clone (in Brawl) or that Pichu is a clone of Pikachu.

of course, on the other hand... there's the simpler solution to make a color and voice swap for Pit and call it a day. could be an easter egg, when you select Pit's black color, his voice would change to Dark Pit's. either way, it's not out of question to have Pit's darker self a playable option in SSB4.

D

Deleted member

Thank you FrostWraith. This is the kind of point I am trying to make.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@GoldenYuiitusin: glad to hear it

anyway here's a moveset for the dark angel himself!

Approx. KO % = Assuming Final Destination style stage, this is how the move is expected to KO.

NORMAL MOVES:
AAA: Hits the staff twice (like any melee staff combo in KI:U), followed by a kick.
Damage: 2-4% -> 2-4% -> 5-8% with med. knockback
Typical punch, punch, kick combo... or should I say staff, staff, kick combo?
Approx. KO %: 130% (3rd strike only)

Side A: Horizontal strike with the staff.
Damage: 3-6% with med. knockback.
Approx. KO %: 120%

Up A: Stabs with the staff upwards with a small fire burst.
Damage: 4-7% with high knockback
Approx. KO %: 115%

Down A: Sweeping kick.
Damage: 2-5% with tripping chance
Approx. KO %: 200%

Dash attack: Similar to KI:U dash attack. shoots fireballs from the staff in melee range. Good KO potential.
Damage: 1% for each small hit with a small burst dealing 8-12% at the end.
Approx. KO %: 90% (last hit only), the 1% hit have fixed knockback

SMASH ATTACKS:
Up smash: Backflips, kicking upwards.
Damage: 11-13% -> 16-19%
Approx. KO %: 110%

Side smash: Charges his staff and unleashes a burst from the tip. Good KO potential.
Damage: 13-16% -> 18-22%
Approx. KO %: 90%

Down smash: A spin attack using the staff. The weakest of the three smash attacks, but bigger range.
Damage: 9-12% -> 12-15%

AERIAL MOVES:
Neutral air: Spins the staff, delivering multiple hits. Low KO potential, but good for dealing damage.
Damage: 1-2% per hit, with a total of 6 hits.
Approx. KO %: > 300%

Forward air: Frontal kick.
Damage: 7-10%
Approx. KO %: 140%

Backward air: Stabs with the staff.
Damage: 6-8%
Approx. KO %: 190%

Upward air: Similar to Up A, but slightly stronger.
Damage: 5-8%

Downward air: Slashes down with the staff. A meteor smash.
Damage: 4-8%
Approx. KO %: 90% --- Meteor smash. Downwards knockback.

GRABS:
Pummeling move: Strikes the foe with his knee. 1-2% damage per hit.

Up throw: Lifts the foe and delivers an upward kick.
Damage: 9-13%
Approx. KO %: 130%

Down throw: Knocks the foe to the ground and stomps him/her. Like Mr. Game & Watch's down throw in Brawl, this move leaves the enemy lying on the floor.
Damage: 8%-10%

Fwd. throw: Hits the foe with his knee and strikes with his staff.
Damage: 7-11%
Approx. KO %: 150%

Backward throw: Similar to Link's. Throws the foe behind him and delivers a kick.
Damage: 6-10%
Approx. KO %: 160%

SPECIAL MOVES:
Neutral B: Dark Pit Staff
Description: Shoots using the staff. Hold B to keep shooting. Long periods without using result in charged shots, akin to R.O.B.'s neutral B, also simulating Uprising's gameplay. While shooting, use the stick to aim the shots.
Damage: 1-3% (non-charged), 10-13% (charged)
Approx. KO %: N/A for uncharged, 110% for charged shots

Side B: Pandora's Charge
Description: Taken from his boss battle in Uprising. Dark Pit engulfs in purple flames and charges to the side. Similar to Fox's Illusion but slower and stronger.
Damage: 12-14%

Down B: Silver Bow
Description: Draws his bow and shoots an arrow. Similar to Pit's Palutena Bow. Hold B to aim, shots can be aimed like Pit's arrows.
Damage: 3-6%
Approx. KO %: > 300%

Up B: Pandora's Wings
Description: Exactly the same as Pit's Wings of Icarus. You must recover using this move!

Final Smash: Rain of Death
Description: Similar to a move used in his boss battle. Draws his bow and lets go a rain of arrows in a surrounding area.

OTHER STUFF:
Glide? Yes.
Multiple jumps? Same as Pit.
Wall jump? No.
Wall cling? No.

Taunts:
Up taunt: Crosses his arms and opens wide his wings.
Side taunt: Spins his staff and says: "Bring it on!"
Down taunt: Swings his staff twice and says: "Is that all you got?"

Win poses:
1. Flying a little above the ground, exclaims: "Victory is mine!"
2. Crosses his arms and, with a snarky smile, says: "THAT was your best?"
Against Pit (similar to the Star Fox characters in Brawl) he says: "Looks like I beat you this time, Pit!"
3. Spins his Silver Bow and holds it up saying: "Not a bad fight at all!"

Losing pose: With his back turned on the camera and head lowered in disappointment, he slowly claps to the winner. Somewhat similar to Luigi, but turned away from the position with an angrier expression.

If you have any suggestions or point out errors or missing stuff, just post!

D

Deleted member

To be quite honest, I can actually see him as a semi-clone that either uses his other main weapons (including the staff) instead of things like Angel Ring or Mirror Shield.

Or being able to switch off the weapons.
But that is a good moveset.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey there, Pit Stain! After seeing your alternate colors, looking at Frostwraith's moveset, and learning about his role in the story; I am starting to think that he would be a great choice of a character. All they have to do is just give Pit a black toga and keep his wing and hair color the same to avoid the confusion.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
To be quite honest, I can actually see him as a semi-clone that either uses his other main weapons (including the staff) instead of things like Angel Ring or Mirror Shield.

Or being able to switch off the weapons.
But that is a good moveset.
I've thought too of weapon switching between Silver Bow (becoming like Pit) and Dark Pit Staff, but ended up to pulling a Link, in which he uses both weapons in one set.

Hey there, Pit Stain! After seeing your alternate colors, looking at Frostwraith's moveset, and learning about his role in the story; I am starting to think that he would be a great choice of a character. All they have to do is just give Pit a black toga and keep his wing and hair color the same to avoid the confusion.
Never judge something by its appearence, that's what I've got to say.

Anyway, if Dark Pit gets included, then Pit has to get a new color to replace the black one he originally had.

For Dark Pit's costumes, he could have dark shades of red, green and blue for Team Battles, keeping the black wings. In addition, he could have a white robed color swap with grey wings and have another one based on
Amazon Pandora, having blue-purple robes and dark blue wings, in a reference on how he steals Pandora's powers in KI:U.

Another possibility for Dark Pit's Final Smash is the
Lightning Chariot, working similarly to the Dragoon item in Brawl, but coming from the side of the screen hitting several opponents in a row. It is justified and could represent Dark Pit's change of side in Uprising.

D

Deleted member

I think the Pandora's Wings special could be changed in giving him temporary free flight not unlike Super Sonic rather than working like Wings of Icarus.
To kind of reference that he has more control over flight than Pit does.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think the Pandora's Wings special could be changed in giving him temporary free flight not unlike Super Sonic rather than working like Wings of Icarus.
To kind of reference that he has more control over flight than Pit does.
infinite flight? I think it's too broken. I think Pit's recovery (along with gliding and multiple jumps) is already somewhat cheap, so if Dark Pit had infinite flight, it would be insane.

D

Deleted member

I didn't say infinite, I said "free flight". As in full control like Super Sonic.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Magnus wouldn't be a very good pick either,and the Magnus club is reeeeally close,but slighty different.

But if you would plan on using these weapons,good pick,but it stays a second Pit.He still need a redesign,though,i think we should work on that,it's the only thing that would bother me if he's playable.

D

Deleted member

If he needs a redesign, then Luigi needs one.

Don't give me any guff about "he's slightly taller and has a slightly different mustache", If Luigi had the exact same color scheme as Mario or Mario had the same one as Luigi, you wouldn't be able to tell the two apart from a distance.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
the Wii U offers HD graphics, and like Fox, Link, Falco or Zelda, it's not entirely out of question more detailed redesigns of both angels with differing features...

however, it would go against Uprising's canon, as in Dark Pit is a copy of Pit created by Pandora's Mirror of Truth, therefore being a reflection that came to life, hence Dark Pit doesn't have a mirrored appearence because he literally popped out of the mirror.

so while the idea of a redesign is good for telling the characters apart, it would go against what they truly are: a reflection of each another.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
BUT Luigi doesn't have the same color as Mario,Dark Pit either,so all that would be good is something slighty different(but that you would still notice),NOT something too big.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
BUT Luigi doesn't have the same color as Mario,Dark Pit either,so all that would be good is something slighty different(but that you would still notice),NOT something too big.
well, according to my moveset, it would be the weapon of use... and Pit could always have white (light colored) wings, while Dark Pit would always have black (dark colored) wings, independently of color swap used... but given the context of Uprising, different designs for both angels would be against what they are, which is a reflection of each other, so that's why different designs are out of question.

Mario and Luigi were just color swaps due to hardware limitations, but they were eventually redesigned. but in this case, they are intentionally designed as color swaps, because one is a reflection of the other. the concept behind the characters would be destroyed by a redesign.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I like the idea of Dark Pit as a character. He definitely deserves a spot in SSB4. I like Frostwraiths moveset and GoldenYuiitusin character ideas. I'd like try my hand at making a moveset for Dark Pit using Frostwraith's moveset as a template.

First off Dark Pit is Pit's Alter ego. I think we all agree right? Anyways like Zelda and Sheik Dark Pit can share a character slot with his other half thus making more room for other characters. With this option he can also have his own colors. I think this would work best.

Normal stance: Moves a little aggressively while standing. Holds the Dark Pit Staff in reverse (Think Ventus from Birth by sleep)

Dash: Wings push him forward into his run animation.

Jumps: To balance him out but also give him a good recovery I think it'd be best to give him a float like peach but give him a flying animation. By this I mean he can can float like Peach for about 2-3 seconds then fall or flip out of it as if he was trying to land. Now follow me on this part. He only has 2 jumps in the air. If you use his float for the entire duration without using the jumps you'll lose the jumps but keep his Up-B, but if you float for a sec then use one of his jumps you can float again for another sec and still be able to use his last jump along with his Up-B. I'll elaborate more on his Up-B when I get to it. Also with each jump his ascension gets slightly weaker.

NORMAL MOVES:
AAA: Hits the staff twice (like any melee staff combo in KI:U), followed by a fast round house.
Damage: 2-4% -> 2-4% -> 5-8% with med. knockback
Typical punch, punch, kick combo... or should I say staff, staff, kick combo?
Approx. KO %: 130% (3rd strike only)

Side A: Horizontal strike with the staff. More powerful if hit the tip. An electric effect similar to Ganons Lighting Jab but a bit more powerful.
Damage: 3-6% with med. knockback.
Tip Damage: 10% < med knockback
Tip Approx. KO %: 110%

Up A: Swings the staff over his head in a circular motion kinda like Marth. He can juggle with this at low damage.
Damage: 4-7% Gets more deadly at higher damage.
Approx. KO %: 125%

Down A: Sweeping kick.
Damage: 2-5% with tripping chance
Approx. KO %: 200%

Dash attack: Similar to KI:U dash attack. shoots fireballs from the staff in melee range. Good KO potential.
Damage: 1% for each small hit with a small burst dealing 8-12% at the end.
Approx. KO %: 90% (last hit only), the 1% hit have fixed knockback

SMASH ATTACKS:
Up smash: Backflips, kicking upwards in a rising motion. Within the games physics you could dodge moves with this depending on the situation.
Damage: 11-13% -> 16-19%

Side smash: Charges his staff and unleashes a burst from the tip. Good KO potential.
Damage: 13-16% -> 18-22%
Approx. KO %: 90%

Down smash: A spin attack using the staff. The weakest of the three smash attacks, but bigger range.
Damage: 9-12% -> 12-15%

AERIAL MOVES:
Neutral air: Flying Roundhouse
Damage: 5-11%

Forward air: Double staff strike
Damage: 1st hit: 3-6% 2nd: 6-12% greater knockback
Approx. KO %: 115%

Backward air: Quick swing backwards with staff.

Upward air: Upward air slash like Metaknight but slower and stronger.
Damage: 5-8%
Approx. KO %: 150%

Downward air: Slashes down with the staff. A meteor smash.
Damage: 4-8%
Approx. KO %: 90% --- Meteor smash. Downwards knockback.

GRABS:
Pummeling move: Strikes the foe with his knee. 1-2% damage per hit.

Up throw: Lifts the foe and delivers an upward kick.
Damage: 9-13%

Down throw: Knocks the foe to the ground and stomps him/her. Like Mr. Game & Watch's down throw in Brawl, this move leaves the enemy lying on the floor.
Damage: 8%-10%

Fwd. throw: Hits the foe with his knee and strikes with his staff.
Damage: 7-11%
Approx. KO %: 135%

Backward throw: Similar to Link's. Throws the foe behind him and delivers a kick.

SPECIAL MOVES:
Neutral B: Dark Pit Staff
Description: Shoots using the staff. Hold B to keep shooting. Long periods without using result in charged shots, akin to R.O.B.'s neutral B, also simulating Uprising's gameplay. While shooting, use the stick to aim the shots.
Damage: 1-3% (non-charged), 10-13% (charged)
Approx. KO %: N/A for uncharged, 110% for charged shots

Side B: Pandora's Charge
Description: Taken from his boss battle in Uprising. Dark Pit engulfs in purple flames and charges to the side. Similar to Fox's Illusion but slower and stronger.
Damage: 12-14%

Down B: Silver Bow
Description: Draws his bow and shoots arrows. On the ground he shoots 3 arrows in the air spreading away from each other. In the air he shoots 3 arrows going toward the ground. These arrows have stronger knockback than Pits normal arrows, like average knockback.
Damage: 8-12%
Approx. KO %: > 150% In the right situation this can be a very deadly move.

Up B: Rising Angel Slash
Description: Wings push Dark Pit higher in a spinning motion at the same time Dark Pit is slashing upward. Its a quick activation multi hit move. Depending on how many jumps you used this moves ascension will be greater or lower. Ex: Using Dark Pits Float/Flight for its full duration will grant access to the maxium height to this move.
Ex2: Using all 2 jumps will grant you the lowest height for this move.
Ex3: Using 1 jump will grant medium height for this move. (At this point you get it)
On the ground this move will always rise to maximum height.
If hit at the end of the move (Like Link's Up-B) the move will be stronger and have better kill potential.
Damage: Multi hit. 1-3% per hit.
End Hit. 10%
Approx. KO %: 130%

Final Smash: Rain of Death
Description: Similar to a move used in his boss battle. Draws his bow and lets go a rain of arrows in a surrounding area.

OTHER STUFF:
Glide? I guess you can call it that.
Multiple jumps? 2 jumps.
Wall jump? No.
Wall cling? No.

Taunts:
Up taunt: Crosses his arms and opens wide his wings and chuckles.
Side taunt: Spins his staff and says: "Your definitely not ready yet"
Down taunt: Swings his staff twice and says: "Is that all you got?"

Win poses:
1. Flying a little above the ground, exclaims: "I'm the best at what I do"
2. Crosses his arms and, with a snarky smile, says: "THAT was your best?"
Against Pit (similar to the Star Fox characters in Brawl) he says: "Can't beat the original"

Losing pose: With his back turned on the camera and head lowered in disappointment, he slowly claps to the winner. Somewhat similar to Luigi, but turned away from the position with an angrier expression.

As I said I used Frostwraith's moveset as a template. I changed a few moves and values that I didn't like and left alone the one I did like. In all I think this moveset is pretty good. Tell me what you guys think. If there's something you don't like or don't agree with let me know.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Master Peach: like the change in the side A movement, but I think the way you describe his recovery is a little confusing, and somewhat unnecessary. I made the Up B the same as Pit's to emphasize the fact that they have similar abilities.

like the changes on victory pose no. 1 and on the up taunt. however I disagree with the changes on side taunt and victory pose 2 (against Pit), since it's supposed to be a reference to
his change of side in KI:U
... and what happened to the third victory pose? It seems to be missing.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Just a recolor. Maybe change the color of the light arrow. And give the dark Pit recolor a bonus taunt. Maybe have it unlock able like Wario's alternative costume.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just a recolor. Maybe change the color of the light arrow. And give the dark Pit recolor a bonus taunt. Maybe have it unlock able like Wario's alternative costume.
did you even see the posts detailing on why Dark Pit isn't just a recolor of Pit? are you even trying to argue at all? or are you just trolling?

I didn't expect that, after a ton of posts detailing on how Dark Pit is more that just a recolor of Pit, someone still tries to argue in the other side... unfortunately, some people only judge things by what their eyes see and do not look deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom