• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doshin the Giant Support Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I don't really know anything about Doshin the Giant, and I've never played the game (as it has never been released in North America), but I think he would be an interesting addition to Smash 4. Anyone else think so?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The problem with him is that if he were to be resized, he wouldn't really be called a giant.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm thinking Assist Trophy at best to be honest...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He could be like, Bowser's height, but skinnier.
I see. Unless there's a Final Smash where he grows into his actually size to make this more fun. I did remember seeing him and his evil side, Joshin, in Melee as trophies.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I see. Unless there's a Final Smash where he grows into his actually size to make this more fun. I did remember seeing him and his evil side, Joshin, in Melee as trophies.

That's the only reason why I know about them in the first place, haha.
I looked up the game on Wikipedia, and it said the game had a fair amount of success in Japan and Europe.
Why they never released it in North America is beyond me.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's the only reason why I know about them in the first place, haha.
I looked up the game on Wikipedia, and it said the game had a fair amount of success in Japan and Europe.
Why they never released it in North America is beyond me.
He can piss out flames on trees. :troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh, this tread has been dead for a while. WELL NO LONGER!

I think Doshin would be a cool stage with the Big Guy as part of it. If he's attacked too much he goes Devil Doshin on your sorry hide.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Way make him a giant still. He could be scaled down but still be taller then the other characters. :awesome:

EDIT: I just realized this thread was bumped also. lol

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Doshin the Giant might not be playable material, but he'd make an excellent Assist Trophy. In fact, I'd say that Doshin and the Elite Beat Agents were the characters I was most surprised to find weren't ATs in Brawl. Doshin's entire purpose (unless he's Jashin) is to bring happiness to other people.

If he doesn't appear himself, I'd at least like some music from his game to show up. It's got a great soundtrack. Slap this on a Pikmin stage and you're set.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Well, it would certainly be the wtf char of this gen.

Which means it could happen.

D

Deleted member

I'd actually like to see Doshin, if he also has Jashin as a form.

With Doshin being the "kill them with kindness" fighter (maybe even have a "hug of death" move :awesome:) and Jashin just being a "burn 'em to the ground" fighter.

Size doesn't seem to be an issue; doesn't Doshin start off small, then grow as he gathers Love (or Hate if he's Jashin)? Final Smash could be that he gathers Love (or Hate), grows gigantic, and does an ultimate attack of kindness (or hatred).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Never came interested in Doshin until I considered him in the uniqueness list and looked at his game.
Damn, he would have a very interesting moveset in my eyes, he could be able to place and protect villages in the battle, the longer the villages remain, the better Doshin becomes and the bigger his size. This is something I never seen as a playstyle, I could see this being tons of fun.
I might take over this thread when I get the time to make a moveset.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I like the idea of Doshin as a stage, controlling the level of the ground on which the characters fight through his magic powers. As a fighter, I'd have to see a good moveset idea before I see any potential in him but if something's possible then I'm all for the guy.

EDIT: Potential gimmick: The more time the giant spends not fighting, the larger Doshin becomes, allowing him to have more range and do more damage/knockback, as well as jump higher. Any indirect forms of combat he might have would not affect this.
And the flipside: As he spends time either hitting or being hit, Doshin shrinks, eventually returning to his starting size.
At minimum size, he has the potential to switch forms. The more time the giant spends hitting others or being hit himself, the bigger Jashin becomes, allowing him to have more range and do more damage/knockback, as well as jump higher. Any indirect forms of combat he might have would not affect this.
As he spends time away from the fray, however, Jashin shrinks and he too will eventually return to his starting state, where he can potentially become Doshin again.

Under this system, Doshin and Jashin would fight quite similarly, though Doshin would be more stage control focused and Jashin would be more combat orientated, with his landscape morphing replaced by fireballs.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Yes! I always thought he'd make an interesting fighter!
He could grow larger (and similar to Lucario, grow stronger) the more the battle progresses and the more damage he takes. He could have his Devil Doshin persona for his Final Smash.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yes! I always thought he'd make an interesting fighter!
He could grow larger (and similar to Lucario, grow stronger) the more the battle progresses and the more damage he takes. He could have his Devil Doshin persona for his Final Smash.
A rage feature similar to Lucario's aura would not be in character. The giant has a meter that can grow with love or hate but not both. This should be represented with a slider from massive Doshin to massive Jashin, with his starting point slap bang in the middle at tiny midform. How it slides is up for interpretation but my suggestion is detailed above.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Never even knew that this thread got bumped. Thanks for the support. I'm going to make a celebratory freak out post if he actually makes it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It would be cool if he showed up in the game in some shape or form. He had a trophy in Melee, then Brawl came out and he was nowhere to be seen. Not even a trophy?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It would be cool if he showed up in the game in some shape or form. He had a trophy in Melee, then Brawl came out and he was nowhere to be seen. Not even a trophy?
To be fair even Roy didn't get a trophy in Brawl and he was a playable character in Melee. Very few custom models were made for the trophy collection. Luckily this has been addressed this time round so I'm confident he'll get at least a trophy to his name.

Doshin deserves SOMETHING in my opinion, I liked him enough to include him on my winning Roster for the 'Roster Evolution' game hosted by BigAxle(many even thought he was an excellent unusual choice) so maybe he's liked by more than the support thread would indicate.
Either playable, AT, stage, stage hazard or even stage background piece I'd be down with seeing ANYTHING Doshin/Jashin related.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Doshin as a stage would be like the Shadow of The Colossus stage PSASBR never got! :troll: BecauseTeamICOareBunchofsnobs

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Barudo Island would make an amazingly unique stage. Imagine Doshin wandering in from the background and changing the terrain of the fighting area. He could even turn into Jashin if the players attack him too much and start throwing fireballs and stomping down mountains.

Also, the Doshin the Giant main theme is super spooky. I'm surprised it wasn't a music option for Luigi's Mansion in Brawl.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
Doshin the Giant as a concept was a really fascinating game and I like the character. A bit like Black&White. But the actual game was terrible on so many levels (I own it). Anyway, I would love him to be either an AT, a stage or even a boss. playable? Maybe if his gimmick would be being huge, like the giant robots from Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Speculator

Smash Ace
Doshin the Giant as a concept was a really fascinating game and I like the character. A bit like Black&White. But the actual game was terrible on so many levels (I own it).
It's a bizzare game for sure. It doesn't feel like it has any of that typical Nintendo polish. I wouldn't mind seeing them use the IP again though, as an eShop game or something. The Gamecube game has an odd charm in a clunky, unfinished kind of way so I think it definitely deserves someone to have a proper go at making a good Doshin game.

Last edited:

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
It's a bizzare game for sure. It doesn't feel like it has any of that typical Nintendo polish. I wouldn't mind seeing them use the IP again though, as an eShop game or something. The Gamecube game has an odd charm in a clunky, unfinished kind of way so I think it definitely deserves someone to have a proper go at making a good Doshin game.
yeah it was really weird. I started the game expecting nothing really (bought it for 8 euro used at gamestop). While I was playing it, all I was thinking was how awesome Doshin is especially when he turns to his evil side, but how slow and clunky the game is, how annoying the female narrator is, how confusing the actual goal of the game is, but baring that, I played it for hours straight... It has definitely a unique charm. But I don't see it as an eshop game, it has too much of a potential being a full fledged retail game.

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
Really wish this thread were more active. As a man who has played Doshin the Giant, I can imagine a moveset. What if the more damage he can rack up, he gains skull's. Each skull he gains makes him grow bigger. Of course, there would be a limit.

His final smash would be him transforming into Jashin.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I was wondering how Doshin the Giant's moveset would be classified according to this list. (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom