• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Remember when Subspace Emissary was announced in Dojo? That day just made Smash Bros Brawl and maybe the series in whole better than ever before.

Throughout the Smash Bros-series, we always had seen the characters fight against each other but we've always wanted to see them interact with each other and get a real kind of a Nintendo-crossover where our heroes venture through their own homeworlds inside Nintendoverse and would fight against some greater evil, while we'd enjoy the whole slew of fanservice and tributes to the respected games along with experiencing a very epic and great story. And even if that wasn't enough, we'd see how all these characters interact with each other in their own quirky ways.

Subspace Emissary promised this all when it was shown, with a huge Adventure Mode that would've been the best accomplishment of Smash Bros getting to show why it was a Nintendo-crossover game.

Sadly, that wouldn't to be happened.

When many people got to play Subspace Emissary, the game was pretty much... different that they thought it to be. And it did flop out to be the huge promised Nintendo-themed crossover story that everyone was expecting all these years. (About that in the post below)

So now we've gone through SSE's failure and are waiting of Sm4sh. If that game were to have an adventure mode, what it should be like? And how the developers could improve that upon SSE's boring and repetitive gameplay?

Discuss!

Thanks very much Mario_and_Sonic_Guy for stickying this! d_(->v<-)_b

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
- Why SSE flopped-

Now, what made SSE fail up so much to meet our standards for such a good adventure mode we were promised back when it was announced in Dojo?

1. The game's plot and presentation were confusing.

The first sign where SSE started to lose it's potential was that it threw away all the dreams of seeing a great Nintendo-celebration: instead what we were treated was some wierd plot that only had some Nintendo-characters slapped to star in it in order to make it feel like a crossover.

• - First of all, the plot didn't make much sense. It felt very uninspired at it's best.
    1. Where did Taboo come from?
    2. Why everyone was in the Island of Ancients anyway, aside from Mario and Kirby being in a tournament?
    3. Why everyone just teams up, but don't develop much character bond with each other as promised?
    4. What's with Snake infiltrating the Halberd anyway?
    5. What's even going on?
    • You see, there's no motives or explanation on why all this happens.
  • - None of the characters talked, which made their actions seem pretty lifeless and without motives.
  • - The plot didn't have very much development. It was just switching from character team to other as they pursue to find Ancient Minister or do something else.
  • - There were too much going and to concentrate at same time: where Samus gets her powersuit back, whether Mario and Pit arrive to... where the hell they're going into anyway (same for Meta-Knight and his sword team), etc. The only good developments must've been Diddy Kong pursuing for DK while meeting Falco and Fox on the way.
    In fact, best thing SSE did for anything besides the quality of cutscenes was the DK-arc.
  • - There were lots, and lots and lots of plot holes because of delaying and cutting out important plot details. In fact, Sakurai had to even post some of the details behind these to Dojo in order to fill the cut-out important plot detail for the game itself.
  • - No character development at all. (Expect Lucas)
  • - The plot was almost non-existent at times: like I said above, there was going on so many things and since none had any idea what was the main plot from the details they archived from the gameplay, the cutscenes were there to give the illusion that there is a plot.
  • - Not much of the characters acted very faithfully to their games to be recognisable, especially Mario, who just was this frowning old man that didn't make any great use of his jumping skills that we got to know him for. Why he didn't succeed saving Peach in the story? And Kirby didn't have any kind of personality: he just did these things in cutscenes for no apparent reason.
  • -SSE had it's own original world opposed to more favourable Nintendo's own worlds. The world where the story happened was totally bland and uninspired (forest, plains, deserts, etc) and so were the enemies which were quite forgettable. Also, there were none of Nintendo's villainous characters to be seen, expect Bowser and his Koopa Troop, Porky and Ridley. (Rayquaza is an exception)
You know, why not sum it up in this quote from one poster from GameFAQS:

It starts out as a typical save-the-world sequence, but soon turns into eight hours of completely horrendous fanservice for all the game's characters at seemingly the same time. The story (more appropriately, the lack thereof) tries to do too many things at once with too many characters at once from too many angles at once. There is no branching, no dialogue, and most of it makes absolutely no sense by the end. Sakurai ended up posting an explanation of the SSE's story on his Smash Dojo site, and admitted that the SSE's story was incomplete drivel. An exact quote from Sakurai: "...there may have been some story-related items that didn't fully make sense. So let me tell you some of the story background you couldn't have gleaned from the movies". On top of this, scenes were cut that could have shed serious light on the background of SSE and certain character motivations. In SSE, gamers are fed an unfinished product and the parent company offers a follow-up explanation a month after the game's stateside release. Gamers don't mind delays in release dates if the end result is a better game --- Zelda: Ocarina of Time being the single best example of this --- but a delay yielding such glaring oversights is unacceptable. The one bright side to the SSE story is that the cutscenes portray the Smash characters in an incredibly funny and/or badass light, but this only serves to blind the viewer from an overall very lacking storyline that requires outside information to fully understand.

2 - The gameplay is boring, too long, dull in level design, and repetitive.

SSE's other half must be it's horrendous gameplay. The game tries to be a sidescrolling beatem up, but fails upon it a lot:

• - The level design is very dull and uninspired at it's best. There's no levels that left any good impression or memories. Great Maze might be nearest to this, which gave us totally frustrated impression.
  • - Level design doesn't make any good use of characters' abilities or encourages to do so. This makes the design even more flat and uninspired because you could just plow through the stages with a single character opposed to four you have to always take with. The only point why there's four characters with you now is just you need to balance with every character you are forced to take with you (like PKMN Trainer) instead of more lives for one single character.
  • - The gameplay's engine was very floaty and slow-paced, which prolonged the game's already tedious length up to eleven. And the most ironical thing about thus is we will to unlock the most fastest character in the game, Sonic, after we manage to make it in the final boss.
  • - In SSE, good deal of the unlockable characters are unlocked via having them join your team in the SSE, which thus renders the traditional objectives to unlock these characters completely redundant and obsolete for the SSBB, and completely ruined the thrill of the old "New Challenger Approaching" screens of the older Smash titles. There's no sense of accomplishment when unlocking new characters because how easy you can unlock every character in SSE.
  • - The objectives of the levels are nauseatively repeated and way too simple and boring to accomplish. It's either:

1. - Go from Point A to Point B
  2. - Fight enemies
  3. -Carry door key a few inches to nearby lock
  4. - Fight even more enemies
  5. - Hitting a very obvious switch
  6. - Fight even MORE enemies
  7. - Opening a door by hitting three nearby switches
  8. - Fight a large boss
  9. - Choose-the-correct-door-to-proceed in puzzles
  10. - Fight loads of enemies in an endurance match.
All this above, being repeated for about 8 hours, along with very floaty gameplay makes a very boring game which has only good part, and that is cutscenes. But even them couldn't accomplish to save SSE when the infamous Great Maze appeared.
  • - The ending was unsatisfactory at it's best. After Taboo's defeated, everyone just... stands on a cliff, looking to the sunset. There was no resolution, no final cutscene where characters celebrate... it's just a copypaste from the Brawl's intro's beginning. Compare Mario & Sonic-games' ending which accomplished more than this.
I mean, why didn't the ending been something like... this?

After the characters defeat the final boss, they return to the stadium and are treated to a hero's welcome. As the crowd is going wild and confetti is raining down you see the characters saluting the audience, giving each other handshakes and just plain celebrating their victory.

As the camera pans out you see the entire cast and they slowly turn into trophies. Then the stadium morphs into a child's room. You learn that the SSE mode was really a kid playing with his figures, a tribute to SSB 64's theme. Then the kid slowly backs out and closes the door. Cue credits.
This would've been more fitting end to the story and would've even made us forgive the story's inconsistence. But we never got this kind of an ending.

Thus you see now why SSE sucked so much. Here's hoping Sm4sh accomplishes better, at least after how well-receivedly Kid Icarus Uprising's story mode fared in the gaming community.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Aah, Adventure Mode discussion has finally arisen in this discussion.

I don't have anything substantial to post right now, but on a minor note, I'd like to return level intros from Melee to return, like the intro at the beginning of this video, with the same Adventure Intro theme. They'd return primarily for nostalgic reasons, but they can also serve the purpose of giving the player an idea of what they will encounter in the level before they venture forth. Also, if players watch the full intro and don't skip right away to gameplay, it could reveal secret areas that the player would otherwise have trouble finding.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
They did cut it alot there was supposed to be a prologue where king dedede was supposed to be on the halberd with king dedede then taboo would attack and eventually take over the halberd

Seeing the ongoing threat king dedede creates those brouches with a timer so that they all don't turn into statues and no one can stop taboo
Why they didn't include this in the key plotline that was beyond me atleast we know king dedede was the hero of sse

Also one thing I liked is how well they told the story without words like the part when captain falcon massacres an entire race of pikmin that was bad *** I mean with voice acting it would probably cost alot more to recruit the voice actors for their respective games so I'm glad they didn't do it

As for characters Mario did seemed a little mad but a bullet bill to the face can do that to somebody I guess :p. his jumping ability was fine he did jump off a cliff when pit found him.
Other characters sorta acted how I expected them to act except princess peach who apparently is a badass

All in all I give it a 7/10for effort repitivness of enemy's and stuff is allright by me but the cutscenes were pretty cool
I just hope they do better job next time

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm not really looking forward to anything for adventure mode because I'm more worried about the vs. aspects of the game. I don't mind whatever they do as long as it's the versus part of the game is fine (character balance, jabs that actually link >_>, stuff like that)

I pretty much agree with your criticisms except for the lack of voices. It did not bother me and conversation isn't exactly necessary to understand what's going on, although plot relevant cutscenes are lol.

Another thing that I didn't like one thing about the Co-op. P2 only got to select one character, and whoever died first took whoever was next. P2 needs his own character list.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Another problem I saw in the SSE is that you get absolutely nothing for a reward when you get 100%. No unlockables, nothing on the Challenge wall gets opened, NOTHING. But yeah, unlocking the characters via SSE took out a lot of fun in the game.

Plus fighting games aren't known for amazing stories anyways. There are some good ones but there's more bad than good.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took out the story mode for a more simpler mode.

BSP

Smash Legend
TBH I would prefer the last thing you said. Smash Bros.' primary selling point should be playing with others, not an epic storyline.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'd like the two games to have different, but pretty simple stories, with some 3DS exclusive characters (who are, in reality, in the WiiU version as well, and are unlocked by syncing a completed 3DS gamefile with the WiiU one) that play a role in its story.

Like, my personal list of these exclusives is clearly biased since it includes Lip, Roy, and Kamek, but it would be a major selling point and incentive for people to get both games.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Wasnt the subspace emissary story written by the same people who make the story's for Final Fantasy?
I personally thought the story was amazing and I was even more impressed they managed to convey such feelings without ANY VOICEACTING.

One thing bugged me though...
How and Why did Ganon have all this high tech stuff and computers monitoring everything as opposed to ya know magic and mideival stuff? I wish to see more youtube videos photoshop this cutscene with him watching funny cat videos or sumthing on his screen.

As for the adventuring part of subspace I could do without. Unless that is the enemies put up more of a fight. The designs for the subspace stages was amazing and so much cooler than the stages available in brawl which consisted moslty of floating platforms with really cool backgrounds (no interactivity with the background like in melee and smash n64, at least not as much anyway)
I just don't think I could live without more epic cutscenes like in brawl.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I believe this was mentioned before, but I would appreciate Sakurai not using his own characters inexplicably, just because he can't write a story without using them to prop it up.

ThunderBird2678

Smash Apprentice
I wanted a crossover too and some kind of decent storyline to go with it. The 2-player character roster was ridicoulous. Still, the general gameplay was decent.The levels were decently designed, with the exception of the great maze.

******★**************★****************★*****************

Sakurai: Let's finish this before lunch! Any good ideas?

Designer: Let's have them play through the insanely boring game again!

Sakurai: Great idea!

The thing I want in sm4sh is a crossover with no plot holes, each player having their own roster, a similar gameplay style to the SSE, similar level design, and the removal of the "go through the game idea".

:phone:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I believe this was mentioned before, but I would appreciate Sakurai not using his own characters inexplicably, just because he can't write a story without using them to prop it up.
But they hired writers from Final Fantasy VII. Sakurai had nothin to do with that...probably

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Also it would be cool to have a better, more iconic version of The Great Maze as a separate mode. Going through interconnected Nintendo worlds ala Kirby And the Amazing Mirror or Kirby's Amazing Mirror or whatever the ****.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's a boss concept that I made a couple months ago...

Kyurem

Being a Dragon/Ice-type Pokemon, Kyurem has access to some powerful attacks, which can be fatal to players. For its HP...

Very Easy: 300 HP
Easy: 350 HP
Normal: 400 HP
Hard: 450 HP
Very Hard: 500 HP
Intense: 600 HP

Basic Kyurem
[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

For the first half of the battle, Kyurem will use its basic form. It'll constantly attack with Dragon Rage and Ice Beam, with the latter having freezing effects. It may also use Glaciate to make the battlefield slippery; this would obviously cause players to trip if they don't have good traction on ice. However, its most devastating attack is Outrage, where it will attempt to ram into players real hard. That attack can easily KO players instantly on the harder skill levels.

Kyurem will basically fly around the battlefield, and will stand still to attack. Also, when compared to Brawl Ridley, Kyurem will appear bigger than him. Basic Kyurem has the smallest body frame among all the Kyurem forms that are used.

When Kyurem loses half of its HP, it'll change into either Black Kyurem or White Kyurem. Which form it'll use is completely random, and it will even alternate forms as players continue to cripple its HP.

Black Kyurem
[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

As Black Kyurem, Kyurem will not only utilize the same attacks it used in its basic form, but it'll also utilize a move called Freeze Shock. Freeze Shock does not cause flinching, but it does inflict heavy damage, AND it always gives affected players the paralysis effect; when paralyzed, the player will briefly flinch every 2 seconds, and take 2% damage for each flinch; the effects last for 15 seconds.

Black Kyurem also gains access to Dragon Claw, which it will use if players stay too close to it for too long.

In terms of movement, Black Kyurem is more prone to being at ground level than its basic form. It also appears bigger than its basic form.

Black Kyurem may also change into White Kyurem on random occasions.

White Kyurem
[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

Just like with Black Kyurem, White Kyurem also uses the same attacks as Basic Kyurem, but it also has access to Ice Burn. Ice Burn, like Freeze Shock, doesn't cause flinching, but it too deals heavy damage, and it has the added effect of always leaving affected players burned; when burned, the player's direct attacks will deal half the damage they would normally cause, and for every second that passes, that player takes 1% damage; the effects last for 15 seconds.

White Kyurem also gains access to Dragon Pulse, which it will use if players are too far away for it to directly attack.

Like Black Kyurem, White Kyurem is also more prone to being on the ground than its basic form. It also appears taller than its basic form.

White Kyurem may also change into Black Kyurem on random occasions.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
After playing Kid Icarus: Uprising, I have a lot of confidence that the next story mode will be improved. Maybe not perfect, but at least more memorable.

Probably the best thing to hope for is dialogue between characters, which could help with giving the story mode more personality. I mean with an expansive cast of varies heroes and villains of different shapes and sizes, there will be at least one crowning moment of dialogue somewhere.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The enemies really stunk and looked stupid and childish. Also the levels got repitive after awhile. My favorite level was the DK + Diddy first level because it actually seemed like an SNES DK Country level for a little while with the barrels. Some of the Samus + Pikachu levels were neat. The Boss battles were great as well.

For this one, I would love to just simply get the villians against the good guys and fight classic enemies, a la Goombas, Koopa Troopers, Waddle Dees, Octorocks, Badniks, Kremlins, etc. Those wierd things in SSE were wimpy and stupid looking. Reminded me of Star Wars Episode 1-3 which were ruined by the wimpy droids (George Lucas should have at least not have the droids showing emotion such as cowardness).

I also think the levels need to be very creative. Have a Mario signature level and then one like a Kirby level, etc.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Aside from Pirahna Plant and Ridley Boss fights in Brawl. I think this story mode shold have more notable or even forgotten boss returns in this game instead of making up new ones and Tabu(who was stupid).

Here are a couple ideas I have for some good boss fights in the new Super Smash Bros. Story mode.

Marx hasnt been in a Kirby game in years. If he cant be in the roster as a 4th Kirby rep. Atleast give this guy a good Boss battle!

Jusr for nostalgia sake why not have Wart come back as a boss? He may not be roster material but it would be cool to see Wart as a Boss.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I would like dialogue to take place with character that do talk sometimes like the star fox series and some mario characters. There needs to be more villains and characters should show more emotion like lucas.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The enemies really stunk and looked stupid and childish. Also the levels got repitive after awhile. My favorite level was the DK + Diddy first level because it actually seemed like an SNES DK Country level for a little while with the barrels. Some of the Samus + Pikachu levels were neat. The Boss battles were great as well.

For this one, I would love to just simply get the villians against the good guys and fight classic enemies, a la Goombas, Koopa Troopers, Waddle Dees, Octorocks, Badniks, Kremlins, etc. Those wierd things in SSE were wimpy and stupid looking. Reminded me of Star Wars Episode 1-3 which were ruined by the wimpy droids (George Lucas should have at least not have the droids showing emotion such as cowardness).

I also think the levels need to be very creative. Have a Mario signature level and then one like a Kirby level, etc.
Yeah the next Adventure Mode should use a lot less originals, and focus more on the classic enemies.

In terms of stages, certain stages could always be based on the stages from past games. For some examples...

*A mansion themed stage that references Luigi's Mansion.
*A beach themed stage that references DKCR.
*An ice covered mountain stage that references Ice Climber.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The game mode should bring back the Trophy World concept, but expand it and flesh it out. Like a land that mixes different Nintendo "worlds" into one massive land mass, complete with legends and history of the world and it residences. Like how the world was made or why the trophy characters are always fighting with each other. Just generally something to give the story more characteristics.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I would like to see is better chemistry between characters like fox and wolf will be a rival like mario and bowser will be to. So wolf will do things to fox or falco that he won't like and will get mad and so on and bowser will capture peach and sort of brag about it.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Though I'd love for character dialogue i think the most likely thing that will happen would be a monologue that tells a story of what's happening in the game.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I would have loved to see an AI computer follow you as partner if you don't have a 2nd player and perhaps up to 4 player. I was thinking something similar to Tails in Sonic 2 and 3. Just have an AI controlled computer player with you. Doesn't make sense to see 2 characters jumping into battle and then one on the screen alone.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Character dialogue? Ew. One of the things I actually liked about SSE was its ability to tell the story without the characters communicating verbally. It would also be kind of awkward to have characters talking alongside ones like Link who are known for their lack of speech.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Okay, here's a mid-boss input that I wanted to take care of...

Darknut

Darknuts are mighty warriors who are often part of Ganondorf's army. They're often portrayed as Link's toughest enemies.

Because of their armor, Darknuts are much more resilient than other mid-bosses. For their HP...

Very Easy: 200 HP
Easy: 225 HP
Normal: 250 HP
Hard: 275 HP
Very Hard: 300 HP
Intense: 350 HP

Phase 1
[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

During the first phase, the Darknut will be equipped with its heavy armor, a large sword, and a shield. It is very slow in this phase, but its shield can protect it from weak projectiles, such as Fox's Blaster. As a result, players will often be forced to attack the Darknut directly.

However, the Darknut's sword is quite powerful, being able to deliver a good amount of damage, and even KO players quickly with just one swipe. Of course, this can leave the Darknut vulnerable long enough for the player to get some good hits on it.

As the Darknut takes damage, it'll lose portions of its armor, and eventually its shield. If the shield does get removed, then the Darknut can be damaged by weak projectiles.

Like all mid-bosses, Darknuts can not be grabbed by players.

Phase 2
[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

When the Darknut has lost half of its HP (it'll lose all parts of its heavy armor at this point), it'll throw its large sword at the player, and then take out a rapier.

No longer hindered by its heavy armor, the Darknut will move much faster, making it very difficult to keep your distance from it.

Now, while the rapier is less powerful than the large sword, the Darknut can use it to deliver combo hits on the player. But while the Darknut can't KO players as quickly as it could in the first phase, its second phase is quite infamous for racking up damage quickly, which would eventually lead to the player getting KO'd. It'll also execute a kick in an attempt to send players flying at low angles.

Because the Darknut is faster in this phase, its attacks will have a shorter lag time, but players are able to damage it with projectiles at any time. Also, as long as the player stays behind the Darknut, he/she can avoid almost every one of its attacks.

Just like in the first phase, the Darknut is immune to grabs in this phase.

When the Darknut has lost all of its HP, it'll drop its rapier, and then collapse onto the ground before vanishing.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
Darknuts should be playable in some event battles where you fight link but not the main game. I wonder if that could happen.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Character dialogue? Ew. One of the things I actually liked about SSE was its ability to tell the story without the characters communicating verbally. It would also be kind of awkward to have characters talking alongside ones like Link who are known for their lack of speech.
I dunno really. It sorta felt even bland to me. It made things confusing and sometimes made me question some characters' motives or actions. They could give some people speech, avoiding Link at the process.

Slim_X

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4425-1928-1952
They need dialogue to tell the story and for you to understand it fullt and so you know which character does in his/her role in the story, I mean at first I didn't understand subspace emissary at all, had to go to wikia or something to find out. I think they shouldn't leave out characters either, Wolf would make a great villian, and toon link and jigglypuff could help out too. And where the hell is crazy hand to avenge his bleeding out cousin?!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They need dialogue to tell the story and for you to understand it fullt and so you know which character does in his/her role in the story, I mean at first I didn't understand subspace emissary at all, had to go to wikia or something to find out. I think they shouldn't leave out characters either, Wolf would make a great villian, and toon link and jigglypuff could help out too. And where the hell is crazy hand to avenge his bleeding out cousin?!

Voice acting isn't always the best answer though. Subtitles would work much better when you think it over.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Or, the levels could have a goal/backstory description before compeleting them, "Escape the battlefield fortress and investigate the subspace bomb!" And an accompanying explanation when the level is highlighted afterward, "Marth escaped the burning castle-fort, and together with Ike and Metaknight, pushed back the subspace forces from the area."

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Voice acting isn't always the best answer though. Subtitles would work much better when you think it over.
I'd be all for this one. Avoids the whole "voice acting being awkward for silent characters"-issue but also helps us to get the grasp of the story and it's characters' personality or thoughts.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I had written this post before, but frickin' Bad Gateways made me lose it before I could post it. Anyways, here are my core ideas for improving the Adventure Mode in both story and gameplay, updated from my old notes. I will continue updating them over time.

Warning: It's a big post. Some may struggle to read it all.

[COLLAPSE="Improving Adventure Mode (BIG POST)"]Improving Adventure Mode

Make Adventure Mode Unlockable: Adventure Mode should not be available at the start. Instead, the mode would be a reward for unlocking all of the hidden characters in the game. The intention of this move is mainly to prevent the mode from becoming a cheap, easy way to unlock all the characters as it was in Brawl's SSE. However, the move would also give players a very big reward for putting in the effort to unlocking the characters - they could now see those characters in action in an awesome storyline. Also, you can get to experience the classic and memorable "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" screens more than you probably did in Brawl.

Replacing Adventure Mode as a starting mode would be the old All-Star mode. Yes, the mode will begin with less characters to combat at start since you haven't unlocked anyone. But as you unlock characters through various means including this mode now, those characters will be added into All-Star mode, and the mode will become progressively harder and longer. I have more ideas for this mode, but the topic is Adventure Mode.

Improved, More "Nintendo-ified" Story: I don't need to expand on this idea since it's an obvious improvement most people agree with. What I will do is link to this man's excellent proposals for a premise for the Adventure Mode storyline; he has many amazing ideas. One idea I would like to repeat from Hex's ideas is the increased use of humor in the story. This is a game featuring a bunch of odd video game characters thrown together onto stages and set to battle each other; it doesn't have to be serious about itself all the time. For a fun example, Ness could try to use PK Fire on an enemy Wizzrobe in a cinematic, only for the Wizzrobe to reflect the attack with magic. Ness dodges, but Luigi isn't so lucky and seconds later is panicking with flames licking off the back of his pants.

Stories & Gameplay Individualized by Characters: Suppose you choose Adventure Mode in the menu. Then you enter a character selection screen and choose your character like any other fighting mode. Then you enter Adventure Mode, but you'll only be playing through the eyes and experiences of your chosen character. For example, you choose Mario. You'll then only play through the levels, fight the bosses, and witness story events that Mario encounters - you will not be distracted by what Pikachu is doing on the other side of the world unless it directly relates to Mario's story. To put it simply, you'll only experience that character's slice of the story when you choose that character.

The point of individualizing the experiences down to each character is to increase replayability. No character will traverse the exact same terrains or experience the exact same events as another character. Some levels and bosses would be events exclusive to certain characters which the other characters are not going to face. Players will be encouraged to experiment and play with all the characters on the roster to experience the full breadth of Adventure Mode. The individualization would also add greater detail to the storyline. Falco is not going to react and feel about events the same way Ness will, even if they meet early on and stick together for much of the story. With individualized storylines, you can explore the personalities of each character more and deepen the overall over-arching story.

There would points in a character's part of the plot where you cannot progress further until certain requirements are met, since I don't want players to end the entire storyline with one character in one playthrough. The requirement is simply that you play as other characters in the roster and play through their stories in the mode up until those "No Pass" points; after a couple characters or so, you can continue with your own character again until another point in the plot is met, or until you reach the end of the Adventure Mode storyline for your character. You will not be required to play as every other character to finish Adventure Mode with your own character, but a reasonable number.

Metroidvania Level Design: If you've played the classic Metroid and Castlevania titles, you are aware of the immense open-world design of the worlds in these games. This same open-ended level design, where every part of the world could link seamlessly to another, should apply to levels in SSB4's Adventure Mode.

For example, you're playing as Link in a forest level. While running across the forest floor, you notice a part of the ground with recently dug-up soil. You jump and use Link's Dair to smash through the weak soil and fall into a cave. Traversing this cave leads you outside to a grove with a Sky Cannon from TP. You can use the Sky Cannon to launch yourself up into Skyworld and explore the Skyworld level, which you may not even explore through in Link's main storyline.

Almost every level would link up with others in some way, and you, the player, could discover all the caves, chambers, and levels that connect them all together. A world map for Adventure Mode would only still exist for convenience, now that a player could technically travel most of the world with in one playthrough.

Limitations to exploration still need to be applied. These limitations would be implemented by way of character-specific obstacles (thanks to KumaOso for inspiring this idea). For example, there is a crawl space connecting two areas that only characters with the ability to crawl can use. For a more character-specific example, a certain switch on the ground is only activated by the power of Nayru's Love, or you need Pit to strike an otherwise unreachable target with his bow. Also, any additional levels you explore with a character do not add to that character's story; the levels specifically part of the character's plot are the only ones contributing to that character's plot.

BTW, the Metroidvania level design also means there should be plenty of secret areas. These secret areas could be very unique; for example, what if Mario discovers a hidden door that leads to a Super Mario Sunshine-type platforming challenge area? Board the Platform levels could be implemented as secret areas in Adventure Mode; once you discover a certain number, you unlock Board the Platforms as a Stadium mode. Another secret area could be a hard-to-find cavern that is the underground home of the NPC Muddy Mole (more on NPC's later).

Unlockables & Secret Goodies: Adventure Mode should be littered with ennumerous unlockables; trophies, stickers, music CD's, even new stages and game modes. Some unlockables are the rewards of simply completing a special level or boss encounter, or for completing a side-quest from an NPC. But most unlockables are hidden in the nooks and crannies of the world, waiting to be discovered. Replayability would benefit enormously from the scouring of dedicated players searching for all the unlockables.

Cameo Appearances from Non-Playable Characters: Marth and Caeda sharing a tender moment before Marth embarks on his quest. Seeing K.K. Slider at a barren train station performing the K.K. Western. Rattatas darting through the grasses in a prairire and Kokunas hanging from branches in a forest. Waluigi appearing out of nowhere to troll Luigi for a second. All of these characters save Marth aren't necessarily going to be full-on playable characters, but they could still have their little bit of stardom by starring in cameo appearances in cinematics and levels in Adventure Mode.

I understand the complaints of some that it would be disappointing to see their favorite characters only appear temporarily and not be full-on characters. However, a cameo appearance in Adventure Mode's story is better than just a trophy recognition or nothing, and supposing Adventure Mode is unlocked the way I suggested above, you would know who's playable and who's not when you start up Adventure Mode.

Side-Quests: Side-quests would either be given out by NPC's you encounter or would be passive activities you could participate in on your travels. These side-quests would be kept relatively simple in concept, as there's no need for a quest-organization system.

For an example NPC side-quest, Ness encounters a Nintendog in a forest, lost and without it's owners. Ness can choose to interact with the Nintendog and then accept or decline to help guide the Nintendog through the rest of the level to it's Mii owners. Once returned to it's owners, the player would recieve the reward of the Nintendog Assist Trophy for normal play. The initation and end of the quest could either be achieved through cinematics or with subtitles and basic "accept quest/decline quest" choices.

For an example "passive activity", Samus could be venturing through an ancient ruin system and notice unique runes on parts of the ruin's wall. Samus could interact with the runes and use her scan visor to translate the runes and discover the history of the ruins she is exploring with each deciphered rune.[/COLLAPSE]

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I love most of those ideas. Not sure about side-quests. A more Nintendo-themed unified world with secret areas (Board the Platforms needs to be brought back anyway, along with individual Target Smash levels) and cameo appearances from NPCs would be great though. I've also seen people complain - somewhat rightfully - that the SSE didn't have enough actual fighting between characters, which is something that I hope can be improved while keeping the platforming aspects. Melee's Adventure Mode is actually a prime example of combining the two nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom