• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Story Mode & Adventure Mode~ Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeup

Smash Lord
Being a Disney fanatic, I think seeing a Kingdom Hearts esque story would be sick. Like, all the bad guys have teamed up and are rustling jimmies in all the different Nintendo universes and its up to Mario (or somebody... actually having a Mii be the main character would make more sense I guess) to go to all the different worlds and fight the baddies. Doesn't have to be that deep. Frankly, it should be very simple. Round up the Nintendo gang of good guys, and beat up the Nintendo gang of bad guys. Smash is meant to be fan service, not some brilliant, beautifully crafted Citizen Kane level storyline. Just get the good guys to beat the bad guys, but make it epic. Make it Kingdom Hearts.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Just skimmed through, and I apologize if this has been mentioned

The Adventure Mode should be long, a good kind of long that spans many hours of story/gameplay (Tales "Long" is debatable, but whatever)

The Adventure mode should include alternate paths, and truly different outcomes/results within the cutscenes; Not some copy paste mirror cutscene with a different character (I'm looking at you SSE)

Mutliple endings, of course, will result from this

Unlocking all mutliple endings/paths for each character will open "true ending/path" in the game to lead straight to the final unlockable character

I've always dreamt of something of this proportion but I honestly doubt it considering what we got for brawl. I don't expect any more of "brawl quality story" after that dissapointment

It'd be nice though if we did. Just imagine this scenario as an example, something I came up just a second ago

Link teams up with Marth
As they are traveling along with each other, they meet Wario
Wario (more of an anti-hero/mischief maker) decides to mess with them
Eventually, a blast happens sending both link and marth to different areas; seperated by one another

Link ends up in a japanese fuedal war area
Marth Ends up in a Hyrulian castle
Link traverses through the castle, about to get attacked by a mind controlled samurai that looks like takamaru; he is saved by Sigurd
Marth finds ganondorf, but before rushing at him he is stopped by a "dark/mind controlled" version of young Link.
Eventually, he is joined by Takamaru

And obviously, each path splits and leads to different outcomes/cutscenes that make sense as they show genuine fluidity due to the story telling. This gives the most re-playability one can have

Again, I'm pushing my luck as this will never happen unless they really get serious about making this a true cross over

EDIT: How would people feel if the adventure mode presented a "God-Hand" rising kind of difficulty. For those who don't know, it presented a meter/level system. Essentially, the better you do at wiping the floors with enemies the higher the meter goes up to go to the next "level." As it goes to the next level, enemies get harder and smarter (but not broken, just really clever and intelligent). Of course, the more you get hit/screw up the more the meter de-levels; as a result enemies get easier

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
EDIT: How would people feel if the adventure mode presented a "God-Hand" rising kind of difficulty. For those who don't know, it presented a meter/level system. Essentially, the better you do at wiping the floors with enemies the higher the meter goes up to go to the next "level." As it goes to the next level, enemies get harder and smarter (but not broken, just really clever and intelligent). Of course, the more you get hit/screw up the more the meter de-levels; as a result enemies get easier
I remember happening in Dangar Ufo-Robo, one game I adored in the eighties.
The more you got clever at the game, the more new and strongest fiends appeared.
I approve the idea, even if it has to be a ***** to develope.

On another side, what about side quests? This is how I see the thing:
On the background you can see some characters you can can talk with by pressing UP and they will ask you a commission for them, which may lead to multiple trades with other background character. Do you remember the bears in Donkey Kong Country 3?
Also, there would be characters that wont ask you commissions but give you useful hints about the game.
And finally there would be characters that say nothing useful, like "I am Error".
Why all this? Because it would give the oppurtunity even to minor characters to appear in the game.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
For anyone who wasn't around a whopping few pages ago, check the ol' blog of mine for a cool Adventure Mode idea. I post about it all the time, but everyone should totally check it out.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
For anyone who wasn't around a whopping few pages ago, check the ol' blog of mine for a cool Adventure Mode idea. I post about it all the time, but everyone should totally check it out.
I already checked it out and said I enjoyed the concept. I would prefer a story that plays on SSB64's concept of the worlds and characters of Nintendo being but a child's plaything, but for an SSE sequel (which I'm normally against), your idea was excellent.

And if you refer back to an old post, I might as well re-post my selection of ideas for improving Adventure Mode (which most people ignored or did not see).

[COLLAPSE="Improving Adventure Mode"]Improving Adventure Mode

Make Adventure Mode Unlockable: Adventure Mode should not be available at the start. Instead, the mode would be a reward for unlocking all of the hidden characters in the game. The intention of this move is mainly to prevent the mode from becoming a cheap, easy way to unlock all the characters as it was in Brawl's SSE. However, the move would also give players a very big reward for putting in the effort to unlocking the characters - they could now see those characters in action in an awesome storyline. Also, you can get to experience the classic and memorable "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" screens more than you probably did in Brawl.

Replacing Adventure Mode as a starting mode would be the old All-Star mode. Yes, the mode will begin with less characters to combat at start since you haven't unlocked anyone. But as you unlock characters through various means including this mode now, those characters will be added into All-Star mode, and the mode will become progressively harder and longer. I have more ideas for this mode, but the topic is Adventure Mode.

Improved, More "Nintendo-ified" Story: I don't need to expand on this idea since it's an obvious improvement most people agree with. What I will do is link to this man's excellent proposals for a premise for the Adventure Mode storyline; he has many amazing ideas. One idea I would like to repeat from Hex's ideas is the increased use of humor in the story. This is a game featuring a bunch of odd video game characters thrown together onto stages and set to battle each other; it doesn't have to be serious about itself all the time. For a fun example, Ness could try to use PK Fire on an enemy Wizzrobe in a cinematic, only for the Wizzrobe to reflect the attack with magic. Ness dodges, but Luigi isn't so lucky and seconds later is panicking with flames licking off the back of his pants.

Stories & Gameplay Individualized by Characters: Suppose you choose Adventure Mode in the menu. Then you enter a character selection screen and choose your character like any other fighting mode. Then you enter Adventure Mode, but you'll only be playing through the eyes and experiences of your chosen character. For example, you choose Mario. You'll then only play through the levels, fight the bosses, and witness story events that Mario encounters - you will not be distracted by what Pikachu is doing on the other side of the world unless it directly relates to Mario's story. To put it simply, you'll only experience that character's slice of the story when you choose that character.

The point of individualizing the experiences down to each character is to increase replayability. No character will traverse the exact same terrains or experience the exact same events as another character. Some levels and bosses would be events exclusive to certain characters which the other characters are not going to face. Players will be encouraged to experiment and play with all the characters on the roster to experience the full breadth of Adventure Mode. The individualization would also add greater detail to the storyline. Falco is not going to react and feel about events the same way Ness will, even if they meet early on and stick together for much of the story. With individualized storylines, you can explore the personalities of each character more and deepen the overall over-arching story.

There would points in a character's part of the plot where you cannot progress further until certain requirements are met, since I don't want players to end the entire storyline with one character in one playthrough. The requirement is simply that you play as other characters in the roster and play through their stories in the mode up until those "No Pass" points; after a couple characters or so, you can continue with your own character again until another point in the plot is met, or until you reach the end of the Adventure Mode storyline for your character. You will not be required to play as every other character to finish Adventure Mode with your own character, but a reasonable number.

Metroidvania Level Design: If you've played the classic Metroid and Castlevania titles, you are aware of the immense open-world design of the worlds in these games. This same open-ended level design, where every part of the world could link seamlessly to another, should apply to levels in SSB4's Adventure Mode.

For example, you're playing as Link in a forest level. While running across the forest floor, you notice a part of the ground with recently dug-up soil. You jump and use Link's Dair to smash through the weak soil and fall into a cave. Traversing this cave leads you outside to a grove with a Sky Cannon from TP. You can use the Sky Cannon to launch yourself up into Skyworld and explore the Skyworld level, which you may not even explore through in Link's main storyline.

Almost every level would link up with others in some way, and you, the player, could discover all the caves, chambers, and levels that connect them all together. A world map for Adventure Mode would only still exist for convenience, now that a player could technically travel most of the world with in one playthrough.

Limitations to exploration still need to be applied. These limitations would be implemented by way of character-specific obstacles (thanks to KumaOso for inspiring this idea). For example, there is a crawl space connecting two areas that only characters with the ability to crawl can use. For a more character-specific example, a certain switch on the ground is only activated by the power of Nayru's Love, or you need Pit to strike an otherwise unreachable target with his bow. Also, any additional levels you explore with a character do not add to that character's story; the levels specifically part of the character's plot are the only ones contributing to that character's plot.

BTW, the Metroidvania level design also means there should be plenty of secret areas. These secret areas could be very unique; for example, what if Mario discovers a hidden door that leads to a Super Mario Sunshine-type platforming challenge area? Board the Platform levels could be implemented as secret areas in Adventure Mode; once you discover a certain number, you unlock Board the Platforms as a Stadium mode. Another secret area could be a hard-to-find cavern that is the underground home of the NPC Muddy Mole (more on NPC's later).

Unlockables & Secret Goodies: Adventure Mode should be littered with ennumerous unlockables; trophies, stickers, music CD's, even new stages and game modes. Some unlockables are the rewards of simply completing a special level or boss encounter, or for completing a side-quest from an NPC. But most unlockables are hidden in the nooks and crannies of the world, waiting to be discovered. Replayability would benefit enormously from the scouring of dedicated players searching for all the unlockables.

Cameo Appearances from Non-Playable Characters: Marth and Caeda sharing a tender moment before Marth embarks on his quest. Seeing K.K. Slider at a barren train station performing the K.K. Western. Rattatas darting through the grasses in a prairire and Kokunas hanging from branches in a forest. Waluigi appearing out of nowhere to troll Luigi for a second. All of these characters save Marth aren't necessarily going to be full-on playable characters, but they could still have their little bit of stardom by starring in cameo appearances in cinematics and levels in Adventure Mode.

I understand the complaints of some that it would be disappointing to see their favorite characters only appear temporarily and not be full-on characters. However, a cameo appearance in Adventure Mode's story is better than just a trophy recognition or nothing, and supposing Adventure Mode is unlocked the way I suggested above, you would know who's playable and who's not when you start up Adventure Mode.

Side-Quests: Side-quests would either be given out by NPC's you encounter or would be passive activities you could participate in on your travels. These side-quests would be kept relatively simple in concept, as there's no need for a quest-organization system.

For an example NPC side-quest, Ness encounters a Nintendog in a forest, lost and without it's owners. Ness can choose to interact with the Nintendog and then accept or decline to help guide the Nintendog through the rest of the level to it's Mii owners. Once returned to it's owners, the player would recieve the reward of the Nintendog Assist Trophy for normal play. The initation and end of the quest could either be achieved through cinematics or with subtitles and basic "accept quest/decline quest" choices.

For an example "passive activity", Samus could be venturing through an ancient ruin system and notice unique runes on parts of the ruin's wall. Samus could interact with the runes and use her scan visor to translate the runes and discover the history of the ruins she is exploring with each deciphered rune.[/COLLAPSE]

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
My idea revolves around one central, new (maybe the world from SSE) world, or possibly one universe's world, like Mushroom Kingdom, with ways to access the other worlds. If you've played Super Paper Mario, you know what I mean. (Flipside/Flopside=Central Hub, Lineland/Bitlands/Crag/Underwhere/Whatever=Hyrule/Pop Star/Unova(more on that later)/other places).

For those of you not familiar, it's pretty much like this: there is a central "hub" world that links to each other world in the form of some sort of portal. You would travel through each world/universe to join up with the local characters. On the way, you would also fight local typical enemies. For example:
Mushroom Kingdom: Goombas, various Koopas, Bob-ombs, etc
You know, typical enemies for each universe.

Some of them would have unique characteristics or styles. In the Pokemon universe, it would either be entirely in Unova, have something like the magnet train to change regions, or (most likely) not actually name the region, but you would be able to find various Pokemon spanning many generations. Also, the play style would change to the classic turn-based battles of Pokemon. You would probably meet the trainer first (playable character), and you would have to fight and "catch" the other playable Pokemon, which in my roster would be: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and then Mewtwo and Zoroark as a special encounter at the end of the Pokemon chapter.
Also, chapters taking place in universes like Fire Emblem could take on the feel and tactical approach of the series. Maybe, if there is an F-Zero chapter, you might have to race.

Obviously, not every single world could make it in if this mode of play is going to be viable. However, even if there are only 6 portals to local worlds or so, the remaining ones could be paid homage to. For someone like the Ice Climbers, they could be encountered in Unova on a frozen mountain due to Kyurem (Black 2 and White 2).

You get the idea, I hope.
I like that, but here is another idea I had:
The story starts a very old school platform game, with the stages in linear sequence, and each one performed by a specified character. As you reach the last stage and destroy the final boss, as all seems gone to an happy end, the great villain respawns and reveal it was all a plan to keep all the heroes busy while his minions were preparing the big plan. Then he leaves and blocks all the accesses and the exits of each stages, so, to get to the viallain for the second round, the players, by using the abilities of all the characters, has to unlock all the secrets connections among all the stages, revealing areas of each stages that seemed unreachable, and sorta turning all the previously separated stages into one huge stage.
I gained the idea from The New Zealad Story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6px0_k1Y90
See? There are secret connections among all the stages that lead to secret and apparently unaccessable areas of the stages. I loved that! It was an evolution of the warp zones of Super Mario Bros.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I already checked it out and said I enjoyed the concept. I would prefer a story that plays on SSB64's concept of the worlds and characters of Nintendo being but a child's plaything, but for an SSE sequel (which I'm normally against), your idea was excellent.

And if you refer back to an old post, I might as well re-post my selection of ideas for improving Adventure Mode (which most people ignored or did not see).

[COLLAPSE="Improving Adventure Mode"]Improving Adventure Mode

Make Adventure Mode Unlockable: Adventure Mode should not be available at the start. Instead, the mode would be a reward for unlocking all of the hidden characters in the game. The intention of this move is mainly to prevent the mode from becoming a cheap, easy way to unlock all the characters as it was in Brawl's SSE. However, the move would also give players a very big reward for putting in the effort to unlocking the characters - they could now see those characters in action in an awesome storyline. Also, you can get to experience the classic and memorable "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" screens more than you probably did in Brawl.

Replacing Adventure Mode as a starting mode would be the old All-Star mode. Yes, the mode will begin with less characters to combat at start since you haven't unlocked anyone. But as you unlock characters through various means including this mode now, those characters will be added into All-Star mode, and the mode will become progressively harder and longer. I have more ideas for this mode, but the topic is Adventure Mode.

Improved, More "Nintendo-ified" Story: I don't need to expand on this idea since it's an obvious improvement most people agree with. What I will do is link to this man's excellent proposals for a premise for the Adventure Mode storyline; he has many amazing ideas. One idea I would like to repeat from Hex's ideas is the increased use of humor in the story. This is a game featuring a bunch of odd video game characters thrown together onto stages and set to battle each other; it doesn't have to be serious about itself all the time. For a fun example, Ness could try to use PK Fire on an enemy Wizzrobe in a cinematic, only for the Wizzrobe to reflect the attack with magic. Ness dodges, but Luigi isn't so lucky and seconds later is panicking with flames licking off the back of his pants.

Stories & Gameplay Individualized by Characters: Suppose you choose Adventure Mode in the menu. Then you enter a character selection screen and choose your character like any other fighting mode. Then you enter Adventure Mode, but you'll only be playing through the eyes and experiences of your chosen character. For example, you choose Mario. You'll then only play through the levels, fight the bosses, and witness story events that Mario encounters - you will not be distracted by what Pikachu is doing on the other side of the world unless it directly relates to Mario's story. To put it simply, you'll only experience that character's slice of the story when you choose that character.

The point of individualizing the experiences down to each character is to increase replayability. No character will traverse the exact same terrains or experience the exact same events as another character. Some levels and bosses would be events exclusive to certain characters which the other characters are not going to face. Players will be encouraged to experiment and play with all the characters on the roster to experience the full breadth of Adventure Mode. The individualization would also add greater detail to the storyline. Falco is not going to react and feel about events the same way Ness will, even if they meet early on and stick together for much of the story. With individualized storylines, you can explore the personalities of each character more and deepen the overall over-arching story.

There would points in a character's part of the plot where you cannot progress further until certain requirements are met, since I don't want players to end the entire storyline with one character in one playthrough. The requirement is simply that you play as other characters in the roster and play through their stories in the mode up until those "No Pass" points; after a couple characters or so, you can continue with your own character again until another point in the plot is met, or until you reach the end of the Adventure Mode storyline for your character. You will not be required to play as every other character to finish Adventure Mode with your own character, but a reasonable number.

Metroidvania Level Design: If you've played the classic Metroid and Castlevania titles, you are aware of the immense open-world design of the worlds in these games. This same open-ended level design, where every part of the world could link seamlessly to another, should apply to levels in SSB4's Adventure Mode.

For example, you're playing as Link in a forest level. While running across the forest floor, you notice a part of the ground with recently dug-up soil. You jump and use Link's Dair to smash through the weak soil and fall into a cave. Traversing this cave leads you outside to a grove with a Sky Cannon from TP. You can use the Sky Cannon to launch yourself up into Skyworld and explore the Skyworld level, which you may not even explore through in Link's main storyline.

Almost every level would link up with others in some way, and you, the player, could discover all the caves, chambers, and levels that connect them all together. A world map for Adventure Mode would only still exist for convenience, now that a player could technically travel most of the world with in one playthrough.

Limitations to exploration still need to be applied. These limitations would be implemented by way of character-specific obstacles (thanks to KumaOso for inspiring this idea). For example, there is a crawl space connecting two areas that only characters with the ability to crawl can use. For a more character-specific example, a certain switch on the ground is only activated by the power of Nayru's Love, or you need Pit to strike an otherwise unreachable target with his bow. Also, any additional levels you explore with a character do not add to that character's story; the levels specifically part of the character's plot are the only ones contributing to that character's plot.

BTW, the Metroidvania level design also means there should be plenty of secret areas. These secret areas could be very unique; for example, what if Mario discovers a hidden door that leads to a Super Mario Sunshine-type platforming challenge area? Board the Platform levels could be implemented as secret areas in Adventure Mode; once you discover a certain number, you unlock Board the Platforms as a Stadium mode. Another secret area could be a hard-to-find cavern that is the underground home of the NPC Muddy Mole (more on NPC's later).

Unlockables & Secret Goodies: Adventure Mode should be littered with ennumerous unlockables; trophies, stickers, music CD's, even new stages and game modes. Some unlockables are the rewards of simply completing a special level or boss encounter, or for completing a side-quest from an NPC. But most unlockables are hidden in the nooks and crannies of the world, waiting to be discovered. Replayability would benefit enormously from the scouring of dedicated players searching for all the unlockables.

Cameo Appearances from Non-Playable Characters: Marth and Caeda sharing a tender moment before Marth embarks on his quest. Seeing K.K. Slider at a barren train station performing the K.K. Western. Rattatas darting through the grasses in a prairire and Kokunas hanging from branches in a forest. Waluigi appearing out of nowhere to troll Luigi for a second. All of these characters save Marth aren't necessarily going to be full-on playable characters, but they could still have their little bit of stardom by starring in cameo appearances in cinematics and levels in Adventure Mode.

I understand the complaints of some that it would be disappointing to see their favorite characters only appear temporarily and not be full-on characters. However, a cameo appearance in Adventure Mode's story is better than just a trophy recognition or nothing, and supposing Adventure Mode is unlocked the way I suggested above, you would know who's playable and who's not when you start up Adventure Mode.

Side-Quests: Side-quests would either be given out by NPC's you encounter or would be passive activities you could participate in on your travels. These side-quests would be kept relatively simple in concept, as there's no need for a quest-organization system.

For an example NPC side-quest, Ness encounters a Nintendog in a forest, lost and without it's owners. Ness can choose to interact with the Nintendog and then accept or decline to help guide the Nintendog through the rest of the level to it's Mii owners. Once returned to it's owners, the player would recieve the reward of the Nintendog Assist Trophy for normal play. The initation and end of the quest could either be achieved through cinematics or with subtitles and basic "accept quest/decline quest" choices.

For an example "passive activity", Samus could be venturing through an ancient ruin system and notice unique runes on parts of the ruin's wall. Samus could interact with the runes and use her scan visor to translate the runes and discover the history of the ruins she is exploring with each deciphered rune.[/COLLAPSE]
I had that Idea too. It's nice to see that someone agrees with me.

here's an idea. why not just make the adventure mode unique to each character.

In The End the characters have their own story to tell from each story mode and their own distinct motives and reasons for doing what they did. They beat the crap out of this boss and peace is restored to their respective lands in the nintendoverse...and then the villains go right back to doing what they do.

StreetPassWanter

Smash Apprentice
My extremely-outrageously-terrible-maybe-might-be-cool story idea:

You start out in a Mario-like world. You'll have Goombas, Koopas, and everything. You can even earn coins (that do nothing). Once you complete this you go to a Zelda-like world, etc.

All of this has to do the with a split in dimensions. Master Hand is up to no good (AKA: Guy controlling Master Hand) and has split The Land of the Trophies (or whatever) into 20 worlds/levels/portals, representing series, with some having two/three levels. You have to collect the 20 Shards of Light (With a N on them) to form Final Destination, a space-like world full of enemies from previous worlds. You then fight whatever is replacing Tabuu after a quick match with Master Hand.

Also, in between, there will be times that you have to split paths. It could be that you can complete 20 in one path, but there's 100 worlds (yeah, I'm kind of extreme :p). And it all depends on choice. If you want to go with Shiek or Peach, or if you want to cross the dark river or not. And the ending is different, well to an extent. You will be cheering along with a 5 characters you sided with the most, and they'll show a special cutscene featuring each character. Like Link leaving Hyrule to find Navi (MAJORA'S MASK).

Any questions? And of course this will never happen, since Sakurai wants do something different. :p

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
How do the other characters cross over or meet up if they're own in their own world and that 20 shards thing sounds alot like the great maze in brawl to me which I didn't like to much because why play what I already played also I don't want another tabuu what I want is crazy hand trying to resurrect master hand after he supposedly died in sse

Nitpicking aside it seems you have a pretty good story there

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
How about a story developement like this?

Each square is a chapter of the story that conducts to different stages and secret characters revealing.
Of course you can play back a stages you have already finished like in The Supspace Emissary to reveal all of it's secrets. As long as it belongs to the storyline you have activated.
If your storyline is yellow-blue-blue-blue-green you can't play back the stage that would have been revealed if your storyline was, say, yellow-red-red-red-orange.
How do you choose storylines? Well, just like in Starfox 64/Lylat Wars, you have to satisfy some secret conditions you might get hints of.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How about a story developement like this?

Each square is a chapter of the story that conducts to different stages and secret characters revealing.
Of course you can play back a stages you have already finished like in The Supspace Emissary to reveal all of it's secrets. As long as it belongs to the storyline you have activated.
If your storyline is yellow-blue-blue-blue-green you can't play back the stage that would have been revealed if your storyline was, say, yellow-red-red-red-orange.
How do you choose storylines? Well, just like in Starfox 64/Lylat Wars, you have to satisfy some secret conditions you might get hints of.
That storyline setup resembles that of Shadow the Hedgehog as well, except for that you can decide the mission that you want to do at will. Of course, the path that you take in that game determines who the last boss will be, which is either Sonic & Diablon, Egg Dealer, or Black Doom.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Personally, it should be an issue of "Go big or go home". Either deliver an epic sprawling adventure mode with an awesome storyline that incorporates the various Nintendo worlds and characters satisfyingly, all with interesting level design, enemies and bosses - or don't bother with the time and resources at all, and stick to Classic/All-Star mode. SSE is a pretty good indicator of what happens when your Adventure mode just isn't enough.

Mariofan1592

Smash Rookie
Cool!

I think the boss concept of Regigigas was cool! I want him to be a boss for the next Smash Bros. game! :awesome: But i highly doubt that Victini would be a playable character... :( But, Victivi would make a great Pokeball Pokemon. I would be so psyched when I see Regigigas as a boss character. :awesome: I wonder if his theme song could be "The Encounter" from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. That would make the chase scene and the fight very epic! :awesome: I would love to see Smash Bros. get its first Regi Pokemon in the game and trun it into a boss.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would also like to add that Demise as a boss would be pretty cool possibly both forms the giant monster and then eventually his smaller form.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The one problem with a more in depth story mode with dialogue is that well...

Let's look at the big 4

Mario: Dialogue strictly limited to a few choice phrases and Italian-esque gibberish
Pikachu: Only says his name.
Kirby: You'd be lucky to get a "puyo" or "Kahbee" out of him
Link: ... Do I need to say it?

In fact of the original 12 the only ones known to speak are Fox, Captain Falcon and Samus and even then that was Other M only.

Also there's translation issues, remember the poopstorm with the Star Fox English voices?

My plan, have Pit as the "main" character in the story mode and the rest of the dialogue by secondary characters.

Maybe I just want another Kid Icarus real bad.

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
Hm, I don't think there would actually be voice dialogue. It would probably just be text in dialogue boxes that we would read. So only the ones that have the ability to speak full phrases: Peach, Pit, Samus etc, would be speaking while those who don't: Mario, Kirby Link etc, would basically speak through their actions. Kind of like they did in SSE. They showed feeling pretty well.

....And I was kind of hoping that your Mii would be the main character...I think that would be awesome. IF there is even a main character. The story might just revolve around the heroes as a whole, not specifically focusing on one, like in SSE.

:phone:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think it could though also be done that everyone's gonna speak in dialogue boxes (even those who usually don't. Mario does in Fortune Street anyway...)

I dunno, but I think it was confusing when everyone were just dead silent in SSE and it didn't sometimes help to tell about their motives and that stuff.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has a lot of loved franchises with loved heroes, villians and all kind of characters. I want to see something EPIC combining all franchises. Not like the subspace emisary with its weird villians

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
I think some characters should speak, and some shouldn't. Snake could talk, and maybe Samus, for instance.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I think the biggest factor for me, is I don't want to blast through the story and unlock everyone. I want the single-player to reflect the roster you have unlocked.

So, I want the story divided into chapters. In order to access later chapters, you'll need to have unlocked the appropriate characters. That keeps things interesting, pushes the player to unlock characters without being spoonfed.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
I think the biggest factor for me, is I don't want to blast through the story and unlock everyone. I want the single-player to reflect the roster you have unlocked.

So, I want the story divided into chapters. In order to access later chapters, you'll need to have unlocked the appropriate characters. That keeps things interesting, pushes the player to unlock characters without being spoonfed.
Good idea. That way, story mode can go more for the STORY!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
My plan, have Pit as the "main" character in the story mode and the rest of the dialogue by secondary characters.

Maybe I just want another Kid Icarus real bad.
I'm sure Sakurai wouldn't argue with this.:awesome:

EDIT: I also agree with Barbasol's post.

:phone:

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Something that would be pretty cool is if all characters from the franchise that they're from appeared at the same time, coming from their worlds, instead of everybody being scattered around the map for no real reason.
For example, Captain Falcon and Samurai Goroh are having a heated race in Mute City not unlike Melee's intro(although Goroh dosen't explode on the screen), when they see R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch being attacked by the Subspace Army, they decide to stop their machines and go help the two.
I think that'd be pretty cool.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I really don't think talk will help any. The SSE did it's story fine with no talking. Your got a sense of what's going on, even if you missed the finer things. There are other thing that need to be improved, and making the story having talking doesn't really help.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?

Keep it this way, and we'll actually have a reason to go through Event matches, classic or whatever else they'll put in. That makes me think, will they give a role to every character? Jiggz, Wolf and Toon Link were left out in SSE. It's probably a good idea to keep to story balanced and not involve too many characters, so i'd say the story should focus on the veteran characters more where as the newcomers can get unlocked through other game modes in the game. Just a suggestion, will give us a reason to go through the game modes at least.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think some characters should speak, and some shouldn't. Snake could talk, and maybe Samus, for instance.
Subtitles would probably be a better option though. For instance, practically every Zelda title uses subtitles over voice acting, and a lot of them have positive reviews.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
The Voice Acting is a difficult question since it varies from all the representive games. In Zelda, Pikmin and Paper Mario, you have subtitles; in Metal Gear Solid, F-Zero and Sonic, they use complete voice acting; in Kirby and Donkey Kong, they have sounds instead of speech.

Voice acting is a bit too ambitious, in my opinion, and would ruin the whole experience if a character that never has had a voice actor would get one.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Voice acting is a bit too ambitious, in my opinion, and would ruin the whole experience if a character that never has had a voice actor would get one.
Not every character needs to have a speaking role, keep the silent protagonists silent. But i'd rather have subtitles over voice acting anyway.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Who do people think should be the Villain?
Wasn't a fan of Taboo at all. Would much prefer someone we know.

As I see it theres two good options:

1) At the beginning you choose to be on the Heroes side or the Villains side. If you choose the heroes side then the storyline involves all of the Villains in Smash joining together to achieve some evil purpose and fighting against you.

2) Unknown for much of the game. We come across a big reveal later in the game that Toad was behind everything!

I agree strongly that character development needs alot more time. Subspace emissary felt way too plastic.
Alot could be learnt from games like Super Mario RPG.

Actual gameplay could be more challenging too.

Instead of nonstop slashing it should involve things like puzzles and side quests like is so common in most of these characters games.
Perhaps money and vendoring items could come into it too?

Boss fights should not be as simple as just damaging them down either. They could take a page out of games like Zelda where there is a trick to each boss fight.

Subtitles would probably be a better option though. For instance, practically every Zelda title uses subtitles over voice acting, and a lot of them have positive reviews.
+1

peeup

Smash Lord
Master Hand was a good big final endgame boss... Would've been fine if they didnt jefferey it up with tabuu. Plus then at the end they could bring it back to the idea that its just some little kid playing with trophies in his room. Nostalgia triiiiiiip!

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I personally liked Tabuu, he may have come out of nowhere, but he was a good final boss. I like the heroes and villains concept except then we will have 2 rather small stories instead of a large one that Brawl had.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Tabbu should come back and actually look like he will wins by turning all of the world into Subspace versions of them. Until insert mics character, most likely your Mii, comes and saves the day.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I'd like a nice mix between Melee's Adventure mode and the Subspace Emissary. Both could have been loads better. Melee's was short and repetitive (if you wanted to complete it as every single character), and Brawl's was just plain repetitive and lacked a good story that should have been there. I propose something like this:

[COLLAPSE="AWESOME IDEA"]Each character has their own Adventure mode. Each character's adventure is about as long as Melee's (maybe shorter or even longer in some cases). There are very few cut scenes in each adventure mode. Each will have an opening scene and an ending scene, and some might even have a couple in between. The cut scenes don't need to be CGI... they could be of the same quality as Melee's extremely simple cut scenes.

Some character's adventures may be similar to each other, but no character will have the same exact adventure. Most of the time, a character's adventure stages will be inspired by their own games, but some characters may use locations form other series.

Now here's the cool part... every character's adventure will connect with each other in some way. Perhaps after completing every adventure, a "final adventure" is unlocked in which you can choose a "team" of characters to pass through the final stages and defeat the final boss. Or maybe after completing each adventure you unlock a second adventure for each character where some are teamed up together. For example, if Mario and Luigi team up at the end of their first adventure, they would have the same second adventure, and you can play it as both characters. There can even be third adventures or fourth adventures until all characters are teamed up to take-on the final boss.[/COLLAPSE]

This would decrease the repetitiveness of previous adventure modes and maybe bring in a bit of the true Nintendo cross-over adventure feel that we all expected from the Subspace Emissary.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'd like a nice mix between Melee's Adventure mode and the Subspace Emissary. Both could have been loads better. Melee's was short and repetitive (if you wanted to complete it as every single character), and Brawl's was just plain repetitive and lacked a good story that should have been there. I propose something like this:

[COLLAPSE="AWESOME IDEA"]Each character has their own Adventure mode. Each character's adventure is about as long as Melee's (maybe shorter or even longer in some cases). There are very few cut scenes in each adventure mode. Each will have an opening scene and an ending scene, and some might even have a couple in between. The cut scenes don't need to be CGI... they could be of the same quality as Melee's extremely simple cut scenes.

Some character's adventures may be similar to each other, but no character will have the same exact adventure. Most of the time, a character's adventure stages will be inspired by their own games, but some characters may use locations form other series.

Now here's the cool part... every character's adventure will connect with each other in some way. Perhaps after completing every adventure, a "final adventure" is unlocked in which you can choose a "team" of characters to pass through the final stages and defeat the final boss. Or maybe after completing each adventure you unlock a second adventure for each character where some are teamed up together. For example, if Mario and Luigi team up at the end of their first adventure, they would have the same second adventure, and you can play it as both characters. There can even be third adventures or fourth adventures until all characters are teamed up to take-on the final boss.[/COLLAPSE]

This would decrease the repetitiveness of previous adventure modes and maybe bring in a bit of the true Nintendo cross-over adventure feel that we all expected from the Subspace Emissary.
I really like that idea alot. Hopefully it's similar to this.

No reason to remove the cut scenes though. Need them for character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom