• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshimitsu's Most Honerable ROFLcopter Landing Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
REPENT FOR YOUR SINS, WICKED ONE!

The one and only, The Great Warrior, Yoshimitsu, has arrived!

If you wish to die, it shant take but a moment- I shall assist thy suicide!

Now then! With that dastardly foe begone, I have come to your village in need of support! One very well can not fight the ruthless evils of this world without the help of his people! Any show will do- money to satiate my noble hunger, cheers of support to overcome the ailment of my own foolishness! I ask you, not as a great warrior, but as a humble fool, to offer your assistance!

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say unlikely is the right word. "Inconceived," perhaps. He is the only Soul Character that would really be able to fit in, has appeared alongside Link, and is a generally liked character.

He probably would not do something like his Seppuku, but doing a "play" version of the move stabbing through the air to his side would fit the comical nature of both him and the smash series

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I don't know about the ONLY viable soul calibur character. I think Nightmare could have a chance to. But i'd much rather prefer Yoshimitsu. He's just more comical, and versatile. He has a ton of moves that can be used in the world of smash like his pogo stance, or the Mitsu-copter. If I remember correctly the guy can even teleport short distance and despite having a sword he still uses punches and kicks primarily for upclose offense so that would hopefully seperate him from the other sword bearers a good bit. The more I think of it the more I want this guy in. Its not too far fetched~

Also the taunts would be fun.
"FORGIVE ME!"

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
He would represent both Tekken and SC. And like Wario had 2 different models, I can imagine him having some based on both games (in SC he is a man who lost his arm and has wooden mechanical contraptions around; while in Tekken he is a cyborg or a human with cybernetic parts).

But something I wonder, if he represents both games; what would his logo be?

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Hmm the problem with this is SC is a fighting like street fighter in that there really isn't a main character.

The better question to ask is would you get dalsume(not sure if spell correct ) or ryu to rep for street fighter?

:phone:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hmm the problem with this is SC is a fighting like street fighter in that there really isn't a main character.

The better question to ask is would you get dalsume(not sure if spell correct ) or ryu to rep for street fighter?

What do you mean doesn't Soulcaliber or Street Fighter have a main character?

It is obvious that Street Fighter's main character is Ryu and that Soulcaliber's main character is a toss up between Seigfried, Mitsurugi, or Nightmare. I would have to side with Nightmare since he has been in every single game (save for the first) and appears as Porject Souls logo.

And Dhalsim is hardly a main character.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
But something I wonder, if he represents both games; what would his logo be?
This is actually a legitimately concerning question.

I would imagine he would more represent his Soul series due to it being the series Link also appeared in, and thus possibly Soul Edge, or the Project Soul logo, or even one simply representing Namco. Snake uses the Kojima productions logo, and Sonic the Sonic Team logo, rather than one from any particular game.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
His appearance changes so much in every game, but his signature moves are iconic and easily recognizable. NAMUNAMUNAMU!
As for his logo I was thinking the japanese text from the tekken logo overlayed with a sword with an eye in it. Thats way to complex.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Well, I've managed to make a rough version of a "Chibi Project Soul" icon that could work, but might not be the best to represent him as a whole. I can't think of a way to incorporate the TEKKEN aspect at the moment, but let me know what you think.

This also serves as a way to breath life into this support thread as more Namco news comes in.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Vrei sa pleci dar namu,namu iei,
Namu,namu iei,namu,namu,namu iei.

Peview is Soul Calibur 2,1st sillouhette is Tekken 6,2nd is Soul Calibur 4.Bos.

I imagine he would have some interacting with Link in the story mode.

You know what would be awesome with Yoshimitsu?
No colors,tons of alts.
I always though there was something about his costumes...mmm...maybe because he is in two games,giving him more costumes.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Peview is Soul Calibur 2,1st sillouhette is Tekken 6,2nd is Soul Calibur 4.Bos.
Good eye c:

The portraits just worked well together as silhouettes showing the same character for that little scene.

I just imagine Yoshimitsu would go about the whole thing as a play, with obvious "Theatre" Suicide, and some Kabuki- style special effects for taunts and various moves.

Something about him just makes him the perfect blend of malleable, yet recognizably him no matter what.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I think a Yoshimitsu moveset should use a lot of stance changes. Flea stance and helicopter stance would each have a few unique moves; helicopter stance could easily double as his up-B.

He probably would not do something like his Seppuku, but doing a "play" version of the move stabbing through the air to his side would fit the comical nature of both him and the smash series
I think Seppuku could work; it's not exactly a common version of suicide, and having it only deal him damage instead of KO-ing him would make it seem more like a "hitting the opponent at any cost" move.

Although a play version would be hilarious, especially if the penalty for missing would be him showing the audience that he missed.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm not going to bother with a moveset for this guy because it is really just too easy. Acid spit, ROFLcopter, Pogo stance, spin for the win, Gehosen, Indian stance, Windmill, Flagstaff, seppuku, Yoshimitsu is absolutely made of iconic moves.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
This thread makes me smile! :grin: Yoshimitsu! Why does my laptop have to be broken, I really want to make color swaps.

Yoshimitsu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pac-Man

D

Deleted member

This idea is slowly growing on me.

Especially if he gets both a Soul Calibur version and a Tekken version where one is his default and the other is his alternate costume like Wario.

Or if instead of colors, Yoshimitsu gets his various appearances as his alternates.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
What do you mean doesn't Soulcaliber or Street Fighter have a main character?

It is obvious that Street Fighter's main character is Ryu and that Soulcaliber's main character is a toss up between Seigfried, Mitsurugi, or Nightmare. I would have to side with Nightmare since he has been in every single game (save for the first) and appears as Porject Souls logo.

And Dhalsim is hardly a main character.
It doesn't seem clear if SC has a main character at all. Right now it could be Sophitia's son. Back in the Edge/Blade game, it was not clear who was the main character, but Sophitia and Taki defeated Cervantes, and then Seigfried arrvied, turning himself into Nightmare who was rather the "poster boy" of the Soul series.

Kilik was promoted on Soul Calibur 1 like if he were the main character, in a way so did Mitsurugi, but Xianghua had the actual sword.

Then Seigfried had Soul Calibur, redeemed himself but now Pat is around.

Maybe the Soul series has no main character at all, but most important things throughout the years seem to focus on the Alexandra family somehow.

Also, can we make separate threads on other Bandai/Namco characters?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Yoshimitsu should have his healing move like he does in the SC/Tekken games. It could be a taunt instead of a special.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
This thread is the awareness campaign I hope. I still want him to commit seppuku though :D. Think about it, if we combine some solid arguments and reasoning, AND get this thread big enough, and maybe tell Namco that Smashboards exists, he'd have one of the best shots at getting in. My sisters boyfriend had me play Yoshimitsu when I first started playing Streetfighter x Tekken (that game is so dead now).

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm going to revive this thread to remind people how amazing yoshimistu would be in the game. He is just smash bros material. Yoshimistu>>> any other namco character
Aye, that he is. Yoshimitsu-san really should carry the tradition of being Namco's cross-fighter character.
I mostly just want his Down-B to be stabbing himself. NO WAIT, his Down-B should be his POGO mode! SWORD POGO PLEASE!
And his regular-B would be Seppuku. Yeah.
And his Up-B should be his ROFLCOPTER move, just like Waddle Dee's return to dreamland move! I'm at a loss for his side-B though.
I wish the OP had more. . .

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Aye, that he is. Yoshimitsu-san really should carry the tradition of being Namco's cross-fighter character.
I mostly just want his Down-B to be stabbing himself. NO WAIT, his Down-B should be his POGO mode! SWORD POGO PLEASE!
And his Up-B should be his ROFLCOPTER move, just like Waddle Dee's return to dreamland move! I'm at a loss for his side-B though.
I would just want his regular B to be seppuku so I can see Kirby stab him(her?)self

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Haters gonna hate.
I don't only support him, I actually think he stands a chance to get in. Like, really.
Yoshimitsu for Sm4sh.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Haters gonna hate.
I don't only support him, I actually think he stands a chance to get in. Like, really.
Yoshimitsu for Sm4sh.
I don't get why more people don't think of getting a soul calibur character. Like we let them use link and now they are working with us don't you think it's time to return the favor? And anyway how lame would it be if the two new 3rd party characters were both characters with names that end in -man!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I don't get why more people don't think of getting a soul calibur character. Like we let them use link and now they are working with us don't you think it's time to return the favor? And anyway how lame would it be if the two new 3rd party characters were both characters with names that end in -man!
My favorite Soul character is Voldo actually but I understand if Sakurai thinks he doesn't fit. He's just too weird and perverse. Nightmare is not bad but he's too a little bit too much for Smash imho. So Yoshimitsu. I also like Mitsurugi but if Takamaru gets in we already have a samurai, and with Yoshimitsu it's two and I think it's enough.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Who says the "favor" has to be returned? And who says this "favor" hasn't already been "returned"? It's been over a decade since SCII, kinda seems weird that Nintendo would still expect to get something from that. And I hardly see how getting an SC character in Smash would really be equivalent to Link being in SC2.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Who says the "favor" has to be returned? And who says this "favor" hasn't already been "returned"? It's been over a decade since SCII, kinda seems weird that Nintendo would still expect to get something from that. And I hardly see how getting an SC character in Smash would really be equivalent to Link being in SC2.
Nintendo character in namco fighter=namco character in Nintendo fighter.
How is this not equivalent? I mean sure I guess you could say that it's not very pertinent to nowadays since it was a while ago, but it could still put soul calibur on sakurais and namcos radar. And I don't see why favor was in quotes, it was definetly a favor. Did the soul calibur makers buy the rights to link? No? Well than yeah it's a favor. And it shows a bond between Nintendo and the makers of soul calibur.

I also think that of all the soul/tekken characters yoshimistu would fit in the best. And wow his moveset would be heaven on smashbros.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How is this not equivalent?
It's due to popularity. LoZ is a far more popular franchise than Soulcalibur, so Link's appearance likely drove up the sales of SC2. It's worth noting that, IIRC, SC2 sold better on the GC than on the Xbox or PS2.

I just don't see how including any SC character would have the same effect.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Okay so sales wise it may not be equivalent but I was more referring to it in business terms. Do you think Nintendo would say "we drove up your sales but we don't want your characters" that would be poor. I at least think that this gives soul calibur a better chance than people think to have a character, especially yoshimistu since he was in tekken too, and would fit in well with the Nintendo cast.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
YES. Side could be his telport/heal? FS could involve soul edge/calibur. Though I think seppuku would work for a FS too, but then I couldn't make Kirby stab himself.......>)

..I mean, what.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
How is this not equivalent? I mean sure I guess you could say that it's not very pertinent to nowadays since it was a while ago, but it could still put soul calibur on sakurais and namcos radar. And I don't see why favor was in quotes, it was definetly a favor. Did the soul calibur makers buy the rights to link? No? Well than yeah it's a favor. And it shows a bond between Nintendo and the makers of soul calibur.

I also think that of all the soul/tekken characters yoshimistu would fit in the best. And wow his moveset would be heaven on smashbros.
Wow, to think I was the only "favor returner around." I usually don't want to bring up the SC character in Smash thing as I always end up in flames, lol. I do agree, that ever since Link was on SCII for the GC, I felt like someone from SC should be on a Smash game; even way before the whole "third party" phenomenom happened thanks to Snake.

Still if someone got in, who could it be was my question in mind? I was thinking that no way would they let serious/high profile characters like Mitsurugi or Kilik in. But after seeing Snake as serious and third party, and ZZS with her "design," it came to me that anyone could get in.

Yoshimitsu is my third favorite, as I am biased towards the Alexandra sisters. Though from the start I always saw him as the logical choice considering how funny and wacky he is. Plus as he also appears on "Tekken" he would "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" and represent 2 franchises, and back then; Tekken was already present on the GBA so it was possible. Making him basically the representative for both Namco's fighting series.

After seeing you Noler, maybe I will make that support thread on Sophitia, but as she is MIA on SCV, I sort of lost any hope of even seeing her around. Still if the blonde greek female can't be in, the Japanese wacky Robin Hood has my support!

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Despite originating in Tekken, Yoshimitsu has been a SoulCalibur mainstay since SC1 (discounting Legends, I think), and can already be seen as the first true cross-over character that has appeared consistently in both series, and due to his nature, he would be perfect for SM4SH. I've considered what he would be like, and seeing this thread is awesome, especially revived, because he really does have a good chance. Already having crossed-over into other series outside of Tekken (I believe there was another game - a mario game? - where our dear Yoshimitsu appeared as a guest as well, but I can't seem to remember the name, or if I'm even thinking of Yoshimitsu and not another SC character), it is not far-fetched at all that Namco, already involved in the development of SM4SH, would ask for YoshiM to be included, because, as mentioned before, he fits almost perfectly, and is a notable and popular representative of both of Namco's fighting game series, which are some of the most well-recognized today.

Add to that the aforementioned fact that Nintendo and Namco have worked together before, letting Namco use Link as a guest in SC2, also featuring Yoshimitsu, which boosted the sales of the game on GameCube, and may in some small part be responsible for the success and many of the fans that SC enjoys today. It is entirely possible that Nintendo will, despite the decade that has passed, want to return the favor by featuring a SoulCalibur character, especially now that Namco is helping on development and may have the say in a guest character from their own games.

Arguably, the biggest competition is Pac-Man and a Tales Of... character (Lloyd being the most recognizable choice - also interestingly enough, he also appeared as a guest fighter in the spin-off SoulCalibur Legends), and it is all too likely that one of these two will get in over Yoshimitsu or any Tekken/SC rep - assuming there will be a Namco guest character, of course - but a Tekken/SC character definitely fills out the top 3 in whatever order, and the above pluses for Yoshimutsu, as well as what SSBCandidates mentioned above about YoshiM killing two birds with one stone as a representative of both franchises - and a pretty iconic character in his own right - makes it very plausible that he could win out in popularity or potential and we could see her dear clan leader amongst the likes of Nintendo's biggest All-Stars.

As far as moveset goes, the potential is there, and staggering. Others above have already mentioned the many various and iconic moves and abilities that Yoshimitsu could employ in his SM4SH moveset, and indeed, the absurdity of some of his moves are on par with many moves of other fighters in the game, while still remaining realistic enough to ground him like with the Fire Emblem characters. The fact that Seppeku is one of his msot iconic moves and one of his main attacks in SC (not sure about Tekken, as I haven't played it as much or as often) might be a small point against him, due to the nature of what Seppeku is, but they could feasibly do what was suggested above, and make it like in a play, to where he mimics the action but doesn't actually stab himself. Or, alternatively, include it in his FS (assuming, of course, that that's a feature that comes back) in some capacity.

All in all, Yoshimitsu has a very high chance of making it in, and if Namco were to help five years from now on Smash5, and Yoshimitsu doesn't get in this time, his chances are even higher.
----
Did that sound all formal and constructive? I would hope so.

I really Like Yoshimitsu, he's one of my favorite Soul characters, and I would jump at the chance to see any Soul characters in SM4SH, and though Yoshimitsu wouldn't be my first choice (Kilik/Xiba, simply because I like and am good with the Staff style in the games, or Nightmare because he's iconic), he's, like above, in my Top 3, and I would certainly put him on top, especially since he out of everybody has the most likeliest chance of finding his way into the SmashWorld. That said, I am a supported for Yoshimitsu, and I hope that he is in, and/or that this thread gets enough popularity/posts/exposure to warrant at least his consideration for possible DLC later down the road, even if it doesn't go beyond that.

So ... yeah, I really wanna see how they would make him in SM4SH. What kind of character would he be?

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I like what you say Inawordyes. Maybe not too formal but yes constructive and useful. Like you he is my top 3 from the Soul series, as the Alexandra sisters top him.

Time ago, I did a general Soul Calibur thread is you wish to talk more on this, as we might get de-rail from Yoshimitsu. Again, back in 2003 he seemed as the logical choice since he was the less serious of the characters; despite his scary exterior, represents 2 franchises (the theory that both are different eras in the same universe), and is one of the characters with a lesser profile from the game. Others are Voldo, Astaroth, Lizardmen and maybe Assasins. But as some say Voldo might seem unfit; (I may disagree, he just might need a different look), Astaroth might be too big (but he was used on a crossover game with PacMan and Heihachi). The last 2 might be too generic.

And again to clarify, back in 2003. It never came to mind the idea of having Mega Man in the game; much less Snake or serious looking characters that weren't from fantasy backgrounds (like Zelda and FE characters). So with the inclusion of Link in SCII, I was under the idea Nintendo would place someone from SC in the possible next SSB game (which turned out to be SSBB), to level things but didn't happen. Instead we got Snake out of nowhere, Sonic but no Mega Man. Snake, a third party character from a "serious" looking series of games. Guess after that they could pick anyone from SC (if possible at all), and not just some of the characters with a lesser profile in it.

Also, I had no idea where that of Yoshimitsu in a Mario game came from?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm all for Yoshimitsu in Smash 4 for the Namco rep. Though Heihachi seems to be the more likely choice. Yoshimitsu's fighting style and personality can fit well in the Smash series. Though if he did get in I feel that the Tekken version would have to be his default look, while the Soul Calibur look would be the alternate version. Though to chose the specific, Yoshimitsu's Tekken costume should be the Tekken 3 suit, it appeared in more games than any other suit he wore.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I'm rather doubtful about his chances, but he seems perfect for smash and a much better namco rep than Pac-man. His array of possible moves is really high, and it'd be really cool to see how the same character plays differently in three different fighters. Are there any other characters that appear in that many?

Edit
Just had a cool idea. What if his back air was his fake suicide- he stabs the person behind him while looking like he's stabbing himself then reveals the truth. It's the only move in smash that requires you to face away from your opponent, so it fits perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom