• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Birdo for sm4sh... pink IS the manliest color no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman

Ok lets start this with a nice little description
birdo is a pink... thing? with an egg shooting nozzle for a mouth/nose birdo also has a diamond ring and a bow on top of he's head birdo also has somewhat dangerous looking thorns down he's back and has clawed feet.

Now i may not of explained this very well last time but what i was trying to say when i said "yoshi clone"
Was someone who played SIMILARLY to yoshi
(Heavy weight, fast horizontal falling speed, and an extremely unique second jump.)

Why? Yoshi has been a veteran since day one and has never really had anyone (other then ness) who played anything close to how yoshi plays and if birdo was placed right next to yoshi then birdo would be the well deserved second rep for yoshi's island.

Now I'm sure we all know that birdo is not actually from yoshi's island, still this is somewhat remedied with fact that nintendo KNOWS how well birdo goes together with yoshi judging by the fact that birdo is paired with yoshi in almost every mario sports game.

Now lets get to why i made this thead THE COMPETITION the way i see it is birdo has a few opponents that simply have way more priority then he does(bowser jr, paper mario) but there are a few which i think birdo can push past specifically "waluigi"

Heres my opinion of the mario newcomer line up
#1 bowser jr
#2 paper mario
#3 birdo
#4 waluigi
#5 daisy
#6 rosalina
#7 toad

Alrighty ive changed MY opinion on the lineup of mario reps a little.
And judging by all the new info ive learned on birdo i have concluded that alot of the "facts" i put up here are not sound.

THUS if any POSITIVE info were to show up, that may have something to do with birdo's chances against other mario chars then that would be a big help.

Also due to false info this moveset is inaccurate.
But I'm keeping it up nonetheless.

[COLLAPSE="moveset"]
THE GORGEOUSLY CUTE MOVESET FOR WOMANLY MALE CREATURES

Allright first off birdo is a heavyweight char like yoshi only a little slower then yoshi on the ground and air and most of birdo's attacks cause less damage then yoshi's BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN HE CANT RACK IT UP specifically because of one uniqueness that separates birdo from every other character.

BIRDO'S SECOND JUMP which i'll refer to as the birdance you see most characters have second jumps that just boost themselves off the ground exept for yoshi his double jump is unique in that it keeps lifting him for about half a second after he uses it, birdo would take this mechanic a step further and after birdo uses his second jump it would last for about 4 seconds... of caurse he wouldent be moving very fast but he'll still be floating upward for quite a while, and of course he wont cancel it unless you either FF or land(see Uair for info on landing)

LIST OF A ATTACKS
-------------------------------------------------------------
ntr: birdo's slappings
Mostly like peaches ntr birdo puts one hand on he's cheek and puts he's knees together like if he where being hit on by some hot guy then slaps him playfully on the cheeks with the palm first then a backhand but unlike peaches it has less range (do to stubby arms) yet more knockback and especially more damage

Ftilt: oopsy pop up
Birdo turns around and pops he's foot up backwards into your jaw not unlike starfoxes uptilt in melee only more end lag, this is one of birdo's setup moves at low percents but at high 190#esh it can kill.

Dash: ballerina blaze
Birdo quickly starts skidding on he's tippy toes/claws while his arms are spread out like wings and his back leg is stuck out behind him, this gets sum added distance to birdo's run but the best part of this move is birdo has a full body hitbox

Utilt: birdo happy XD
Birdo does a slight hop into the air and coils his feet back and spreads his arms out expecting some kinda hug, the damage and knockback is small but is fast has sum priority so it can be used to juggle

Dtilt: foot shove

AIR ATTACKS

ntr air: hook kick

Fair: pollen pound
Birdo faces the opponent and does a cartwheel rotating around he's nozzle and when birdo finishes spinning he blasts a burst of pink gas (not unlike ivesours Usmash) into your face, however there are two attacks in this move the first is when birdo's feet are at the top of there arch theres a little hit box that hits you down and infront of him, the second is the burst of pollen in front of birdo which has high horizontal knockback and one of birdos kill moves.

Dair: gust up

Bair: tail clobber
Looking almost the same as yoshis Bair only with less swings birdo swings he's tail down then up cousing little knockback on the way down but on the way up can kill at high #'s due to the thorns on birdos tail

Uair: gust down
also similar to ivysours Uair he blasts upward sending himself downward it's not as potent if birdance is in effect however it still moves birdo down very quickly so it can be used for a fast ground approach.

SMASH ATTACKS

Fsmash: diamond punch
birdo readys he's fist with the diamond ring on it and hooks you with it causing massive damage and knockback, and its fast for a smash attack about diddy kongs amount of lag the only flaw is the reach

Dsmash: maracha hips
Birdo faces away from the camera and swings he's hips left and right while slowly raising his hands like he's a drama queen and while this is happening his tail snaps at the floor where his hips go, the effect is almost identical to yoshis.

Usmash: birdo backflip

SPECIAL MOVES
-----------------------------------------------------------
NTRspecial: seed scatter

Fspecial: egg gun
birdo's trademark egg spit this attack has little lag and you can use it while birdancing the eggs themselves do minimal damage and hitstun but no knockback and theres a chance to spit a fire egg to wich does superb knockback. however the normal eggs are not very fast and can be picked up while in midair by the enemy so camp those eggs with caution.

Dspecial: walking egg bomb!!!
Birdo spits a little egg onto the floor infront of him then the little egg GROWS LEGS and starts walking forward at about a mr saturns speed and blows up on impact but the damage and knockback is decided by how long its been on the battle field/how far its traveled, the longer the stronger.

Uspecial: kissy face!!!
birdo grabs he's bow and throws it in the air while holding both straps, if the bow contacts a ledge he'll tether, if it contacts a player the bow will latch on the other side of the opponent and birdo will throw himself at the bow(and you) and sandwich you between his bow and his nozzle until you pop out of it
taking sum damage and minimal knockback.

GRAB/THROWS
GRAB: birdo vacuum

Pummel: kick u!!!

Fthrow: blow you out

Dthrow: tail crush

Bthrow: dumped

Uthrow: anti vacuum

GRABspecial?(if there is one): birdo smooch

All credit goes to.... well me?:awesome:

[/COLLAPSE]

Oh and for those who care to learn more here's a the wiki http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdo

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Reserved for later use... (no idea what it does but I'm sure its reeely helpfull)

:phone:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'd actually rank Toad up there with Bowser Jr. I'd also add Rosalina betwwen 2nd and 3rd since she's fairly popular. I'm not too keen on Birdo and I see him being an assist trophy more so than a playable character.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Thanks i new i must've been missing some one. However i would think rosalina would make a much better assist then birdo?

And you also reminded me that birdo has actually been in melee as a level hazard i should put that up there.

... there are so many reasons why toad shouldn't be there and far to few to why he should.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Birdo get in, even as a Luigified Yoshi clone. Give him an up B that actually helped with recovery, and I might even play as him.

One thing that kind of annoys me with certain characters, though, is people arguing what franchise they should technically represent, as if it actually makes a significant difference in making the monumental decision of whether or not they should be a playable character. I don't have a source, but I've seen it stated on these boards a few times that Sakurai himself really considers Yoshi a Mario character, even if he does have his own symbol representing Yoshi's Island, or whatever. So, really, I don't think arguing that Birdo could technically represent Yoshi's Island in a desperate attempt to make it seem like Mario isn't being over-repped should affect how eligible people think he is, at all. That is just people being pointlessly pedantic. We all know Yoshi and Birdo are Mario characters, it just seems so silly to me. The same goes with Tingle. Yeah, he technically had a spin off game, but we all know he's a Zelda character, get over it XD

Ahem. Anyways. Sorry to use your thread as a platform to rant about that :p Honestly, I like both Birdo and Waluigi as options more than I do either Toad or Bowser Jr., who are widely considered to be the front runners for new Mario reps. for reasons beyond my understanding. But I also wouldn't be that disappointed if Mario didn't get any new reps. at all, considering how many other great characters and franchises there are out there.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not too crazy about Birdo. While it would be an interesting thought to make it playable, I'm more betting on it being an Assist Trophy.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Birdo's abilities include
Launching Eggs out of mouth like bullet bills
Launching Fire Balls out of mouth
Using Mouth as Vacuum
Spawning Eggberts (Mobile Eggs that Explode on Contact)
Enveloping self in Shell
Using Mouth to Suck the health out of some unsuspecting Prey

The main problem is that Birdo's eggs would be overpowered due to their infinite range and they are unaffected by gravity like Yoshi's eggs.
This could be countered by allowing the eggs to be caught like items and thrown back.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Birdo's abilities include
Launching Eggs out of mouth like bullet bills
Launching Fire Balls out of mouth
Using Mouth as Vacuum
Spawning Eggberts (Mobile Eggs that Explode on Contact)
Enveloping self in Shell
Using Mouth to Suck the health out of some unsuspecting Prey
Holy cow really??? Or are you just makn stuff up?

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
BIRDO COULD DO ALL THAT IN NSMB2!!!!
YESS!! SUCK IT BABYBROS!!.... wait the babybros weren't also in NSMB2 right?

Smady

Smash Master
This tertiary character is only popular for the gross-out lore developed around its questionable gender. Waluigi fills the role of Birdo far better, as an off-the-cuff pick for all the tie-ins and spin-offs of Mario. Waluigi appears in more of them than Birdo does. Plus Birdo is, like Toad, more of a generic enemy than a character.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I thought of Birdo as more of a recurring Boss, like Petey Piranha or Bowser.
I never played any of the mario sports games or other spinoffs and didn't realize that was what Birdo was most known for. What's Birdo's relationship with Yoshi again?
Unlike Waluigi though, Birdo is more than that and has more of a background with the mario world than a hastily thought of anti-luigi made solely as a fill in to go with Daisy.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Waluigi is not made to fill with Daisy,and Daisy was the princess to save in Mario Land.

Birdo seems as likely as my E.Gadd.And it's SMB2,NSMB2 means NEW Super Mario Bros. 2.

I'm lazy so i'll let Other Waluigi fans Argue.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Now egads? That sounds like a nice assist trophy but birdo wouldent fit the role of assist trophy at all, at the most birdo will be playable at the least birdo will be part of a SMB bros level like in melee.

Daddy: i want waluigi AND birdo to be playable, but birdo is higher on my list because birdos been in more and birdos got more to work with. But they both have "gross out lore" based popularity...... crotch chop nuf said

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Before I get people angry first I would like to say I do like Birdo. Maybe not as a character but certainly as an AT.

Your argument against Toad doesn't make sense since there are many birdos and yoshis. Even in Super Mario 2 where she originated you fought a ton of them with different varieties (Pink, Red, and Greens). I would find it hard to believe that you were fighting the same one over and over again. In one of the Mario sports game there is a group of them in the stands (I'm not sure which one). Toad like Birdo and Yoshi is a character and a race. Birdo is just more confusing because she's suppose to be a transexual.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I see a error it says she u must have never played captain rainbow or heard of it :troll:
I've wanted to play the game and I know of it. With transexuals its proper to refer to them as the gender they're portraying. Since Birdo (or Katherine as she's known in Captain Rainbow) is a male to female I'll reference her as female.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I could get behind Birdo as a playable character simply because of the SMB2 representation it would provide. Of course, I would much prefer that Wart fill this role, due to not having a vague and gag-worthy backstory to make me ill every time it is referenced.

Bdblazen

Smash Cadet
The statement about the Toad being a species goes for Yoshi and Birdo also! How do you know whether the Yoshi in one Mario games is the same guy in another one? Theres a difference between Toad and a toad. Same goes for Yoshi and Birdo. there's the main character Toad, and then the toad species, the main character Yoshi, and the yoshi species, the character Birdo, and the birdo species. For instance, the main Birdo is actually a guy who wants to be a girl, the rest of the species that we see are female (unless the whole species is confused lol) And I believe that Toad has a better chance of making it in simply because Birdo's not as important to the series as he is. I don't have a problem with Birdo, but I feel that she shouldn't get priority over others that have more importance to the series. So don't hate me D:

jigglover

Smash Lord
:C Oh my god. That picture is scary, in reference to my last post I did on this forum, my list now goes all of the Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, Mother, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Wario, DK, GaW, Sonic, Metal Gear and every other video game character in existence, then Waluigi.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Before I get people angry first I would like to say I do like Birdo. Maybe not as a character but certainly as an AT.

Your argument against Toad doesn't make sense since there are many birdos and yoshis. Even in Super Mario 2 where she originated you fought a ton of them with different varieties (Pink, Red, and Greens). I would find it hard to believe that you were fighting the same one over and over again. In one of the Mario sports game there is a group of them in the stands (I'm not sure which one). Toad like Birdo and Yoshi is a character and a race. Birdo is just more confusing because she's suppose to be a transexual.
8(_____________) ........... 8(_____________________] !!!!!!.....

I did not know that.... i thought there was only one birdo..... **** YOU WIKI!!!!!!!!

oh and BTW even if birdo doesn't get in as a character
i think we can all agree that a crappy assest trophy would be an "unecessary set back"
And birdo would at least be part of an epic NSMB2 level...

Or a boss :evil:

jigglover

Smash Lord
/\ You should have done the research before creating a thread on a character you know nothing about... It was a very common enemy in SMB2 (although most people thought it was called Ostro and vice versa due to an error in the credits) and you could face many at a time at points as well.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
/\ You should have done the research before creating a thread on a character you know nothing about... It was a very common enemy in SMB2 (although most people thought it was called Ostro and vice versa due to an error in the credits) and you could face many at a time at points as well.
Isn't he also called Ostro in the Manual?

And sorry Link,but i don't think Bottle will ever be playable.
Unless Sakurai...:troll:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Maybe, I'm not sure. I wasn't actually born when it came out and I never got to play it, but I like looking at older games on the internet. If that makes sense. Anyway...

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I think it did,i wasn't born ever but i saw a video.

Here

Makes sense that the bird was called Birdo,the later "Birdo" was probably given to "Ostro" because The "Ostro" in Doki Doki Panic,the original,was like the bird "Birdo".But only for America/Europe,the Japanese could be a specific Ostro named Catherine!

jigglover

Smash Lord
The dramatic music was really scary, he did not think Birdo was a boy. BTW what's this about Yoshi and Birdo being a couple, are they gay!?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Technically Yoshi's genderless, iirc,,

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I use to have the game and I remember asking my grandfather what Birdo's description meant. In the manual she's named Birdo but in the ending credits they switch Birdo's name with Ostro (which is an ostrich that shy guys ride). Now Japan her name is Katherine though I'm unsure if Katherine is the name of the species as well.

Actually Yoshi in Smash is a he. Or at least that what he says. View Snake's codec chat on Yoshi.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Poison of Mario :troll:

I would like Birdo as a character, but it (she) has a lot of competition, even with minor Mario characters (Waluigi, Daisy, Geno, ect.) She also has a lot of haters, but nowhere as much as Waluigi/Daisy. She would be a great way of representing Super Mario Bros. 2 and has higher chances than Wart. Go Birdo! :)

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
The Poison of Mario :troll:

I would like Birdo as a character, but it (she) has a lot of competition, even with minor Mario characters (Waluigi, Daisy, Geno, ect.) She also has a lot of haters, but nowhere as much as Waluigi/Daisy. She would be a great way of representing Doki Doki Panic and has higher chances than Wart. Go Birdo! :)
He wasn't in Doki Doki Panic,IIRC,it was just another ostrich.Only Shyguy survived from Doki Doki Panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom