• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Nintendo Console" Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I remember back in the day, when Masahiro Sakurai said during an interview that "3rd Party characters that may appear in Brawl MUST HAVE APPEARED IN A NINTENDO CONSOLE AT LEAST ONCE IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED." (paraphrased). That limited the pool of 3rd party characters that could be included.

However, now that Smash 4 is being direct by Namco Bandai, a 3rd party developer, does that rule is still in effect? I'm aware that Sakurai is still active in the project, but he's not the absolute driving force this time around.

What do you guys think?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What Namco Bandai character that didn't appear on Nintendo console would you even want?

I say yeah, Sakurai and Nintendo are still in charge

D

Deleted member

I would imagine that the rules would not change.
Given that Sakurai has the final say on anything.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, Namco is only helping in the development. It's Nintendo and Sakurai who are in charge and have the final say. I imagine everything Namco does goes through Sakurai and Nintendo.

Its not even guaranteed there will be a Namco chatacter in Smash 4. It's highly likely but not a given.

:phone:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's do a break down of what Namco Characters/ Series could appear on that rule.

Pac-Man: Too many to count, crossed over with Mario Kart
Soul Calibur: SC2 had Link as an exclusive
Tekken: Tekken Tag Tournament is coming to the WiiU
Klona: Had a Wii exclusive Remake.

Any more?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
TOS is so pretty heavily linked to Nintendo's history, no doubt. I still find it awkward because it's one of the installments in Tales Of-series but yeah.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As for the 3rd party rule, it still applies. It's not like it matters, since every major Namco Bandai IP has appeared on a Nintendo console, including nearly all of the fan favorites, and all of the iconic characters that Namco Bandai has. Pac-Man, various Tekken and Soul Calibur characters, a few Tales characters, etc. can still happen.

@ bombers
Batman can't happen if Sakurai's rule on "no character that didn't originate in video games" still applies.

Assassin's Creed characters are another matter; everything is permitted, since everything has been on a Nintendo console! :laugh:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well technically, there's Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars for the DS... that counts, right?

:phone:

Edit: Oh snap. Sorry about the bump. I got to this thread through that one sticky. On my phone. Didn't quite notice the date.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Let's do a break down of what Namco Characters/ Series could appear on that rule.

Pac-Man: Too many to count, crossed over with Mario Kart
Soul Calibur: SC2 had Link as an exclusive
Tekken: Tekken Tag Tournament is coming to the WiiU
Klona: Had a Wii exclusive Remake.

Any more?
Odd how the Tales series was mentioned in the Nintendo Direct video where they announced Sakurai working with Namco for the game.

Also, the next Tekken game for the Wii U has elements from Nintendo games like the giant mushrooms.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
TOS is so pretty heavily linked to Nintendo's history, no doubt. I still find it awkward because it's one of the installments in Tales Of-series but yeah.
Yeah, tales of symphonia was the only tales game to be published by Nintendo. I'd say that gives Lloyd a good shot.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I can't believe this is even a thread. Unless SSB4 somehow mutates into Nintendo vs. Namco, I guarantee that only characters with at least one appearance on a Nintendo console would even have a chance of appearing. It's a Nintendo All-Star game. Not Namco, not Capcom, not Sega, not anyone else. Sure, there's a chance we'll see more third parties, but only if they've appeared on a Nintendo system.

The only things that bugs me more than people demanding characters with no Nintendo history is people who want non-video game characters and characters owned by Microsoft or Sony.

Edit: Related question: Since we know there will probably be more 3rd parties this time around, should there be a limit on how many characters from a given 3rd party franchise or company? I personally feel that there should be no more than one playable character per 3rd party franchise.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would assume any Nintendo system. I mean, otherwise Lucas couldn't of been in Brawl by that rule, assuming it covers all, including Nintendo, characters.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I would believe Namco would respect the franchise & sakurai & not clutter the game with their characters, plus their biggest mascot Pac-Man has been featured in multiple nintendo games, so i wouldn't see a problem between the two

D

Deleted member

I think the rule is still in place. It's to help enforce that while third-parties are allowed, this game is about Nintendo and it's characters and that should remain the main priority. The last thing we need are ineligible characters running around in a game not meant for them. Heck, almost all eligible third-parties are unworthy of a spot.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I would assume the three rules are in effect

The must have appeared on console rule, the must originate as a videogame character rule, and hot damn I forgot the third.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Namco can have 1-2 characters i won't hate. I don't think anyone would be against Lloyd Irving and then namco can have pacman or maybe their own third party rep from tekken/soul caliber like Snake was in brawl.

If anything, namco helping develop should give them some token of appreciation. 1-2 reps from namco won't remove the nintendo all-star feels especially if they use the right reps.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Would appearing on a Nintendo handheld count as well, or does it have to be a major system that plays on the TV?
I also wonder if the Virtual Console counts.

There is something I want to say about a Final Fantasy rule, but not sure how or where.

D

Deleted member

Namco can have 1-2 characters i won't hate. I don't think anyone would be against Lloyd Irving and then namco can have pacman or maybe their own third party rep from tekken/soul caliber like Snake was in brawl.

If anything, namco helping develop should give them some token of appreciation. 1-2 reps from namco won't remove the nintendo all-star feels especially if they use the right reps.
Do not want.

I don't see why Pac-Man wouldn't be the Namco rep if we got one.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, Pac-Man would be "the guy" since he is arguably the most recognizable video game character EVER! Awesome characters like some of the Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Tales series characters can have other roles. Maybe we could get some assist trophies, trophies, stickers, and maybe even a boss from those franchises! :shades:
I would assume the three rules are in effect

The must have appeared on console rule, the must originate as a videogame character rule, and hot damn I forgot the third.
1st. samusrules, I am glad to see you back around these parts my boi!
2nd. Agreed.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai brought other developers on board to work on Brawl, too. Namco-Bandai are basically supplying grunt work. I wouldn't expect much to change because of them.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sakurai brought other developers on board to work on Brawl, too. Namco-Bandai are basically supplying grunt work. I wouldn't expect much to change because of them.
Yeah, Nintendo has gotten other companies to help with some games before(Sega with F-Zero GX, Capcom with the Oracle games and Minish Cap) and those games didn't end up being crossovers. People need to shut up about this.

Not saying there WON'T be Namco characters, but it isn't more likely than any character from any other companies.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
That rule gives more chances to Cream and Blaze, since not only they appeared but they DEBUTED on a Nintendo console.
On another side....

Is that a signal of their possible appearance in the game?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That rule gives more chances to Cream and Blaze, since not only they appeared but they DEBUTED on a Nintendo console.
On another side....

Is that a signal of their possible appearance in the game?
That picture is ftom the Wii U veriosn of Tekken Tag Tournament 2. It's been floating around the internet for a few months now. It has NOTHING to do with Smash.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That picture is ftom the Wii U veriosn of Tekken Tag Tournament 2. It's been floating around the internet for a few months now. It has NOTHING to do with Smash.
Well, looks like someone's about to get smashed...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
if the nintendo console rule applies, then i expect that commander shepard from mass effect has a chance. its coming out for the wiiu and all. heck we could use another realistic character like snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom