• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Takes more than one to make a League: Other Pokemon Trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pokemon Trainer (or Red) was one of the most unique characters in Brawl allowing two fan favourites (and Ivysaur) to be playable. This got a lot of people talking so I'll break down the choices.

Generation 2 Trainer (Gold/Kris/Ethan/Lyra)

Pokemon Gold and Silver had the least new pokemon but introduced several mechanics like Breeding and Happiness.

[COLLAPSE="Pokemon available"]Chikorita -> Bayleef -> Meganium
Cyndaquil -> Quilava -> Tysphilsion
Totodile -> Croconaw -> Feraligatr

My preferred combo
Chikorita , Quilava, Feraligatr
[/COLLAPSE]

Generation 3 Hoenn Trainer (Brendan/May)

The third Gen rebalanced the stat system with Natures and Effort Values. It also added 137 pokemon.

[COLLAPSE="Pokemon Available"]Treeko -> Grovyle -> Sceptile
Torchic -> Combusken -> Blaziken
Mudkip -> Marshtomp -> Swampert

My Preferred Combo
Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken[/COLLAPSE]

Generation 4 Sinnoh Trainer (Lucas/Dawn)

The Fourth Generation brought online connectivity and 3D to the Pokemon world and was the most recent Gen when Brawl launched

[COLLAPSE="Pokemon Available"]Turtwig -> Grotle -> Tortera
Chimchar -> Monferno -> Infernape
Piplup -> Prinplup -> Empoleon

My preferred combo
Piplup, Grotle, Infernape
[/COLLAPSE]

Generation 5 Trainer (Hilbert/Hilda)

The Current Generation, Black and White took the usual formula and shook it up by having a more developed sorry line and a Pokedex entirely filled with new pokemon.

[COLLAPSE="Pokemon Available"]Snivy -> Servine -> Seperior
Tepig -> Pignite -> Emboar
Oshawott -> Dewott -> Samurott

My Preferred combo
Snivy, Dewott, Emboar[/COLLAPSE]

What's your opinions?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would love for Ethan and Lyra to be the next Pokemon trainers in smash using Chikorita, Quilava and Feraligatr as their pokemon. They should give an alternate costume that allows you to use the other gender too even though it wouldn't make much of a difference since they will be standing at the background doing nothing else but yelling and switching pokemon anyway.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another idea I had was a trainer that used pokemon from many generations but after Gen V it didn't seem to work.

Totodile, Grovyle, Infernape was my idea for a team.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
johto is my favrouite region so i'll vote for ethan

id be happy with any combination of the johto starters

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did have the following inputs in the past...

3rd gen. Trainer: Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken

4th gen. Trainer: Turtwig, Prinplup, Infernape

Regarding the 2nd generation...

Cyndaquil, Bayleef, Feraligatr

And for my current input for the 5th generation...

Oshawott, Servine, Emboar

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally the 3rd generation selection seems to be the best at the moment. Arguably Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken are all fan favorites in their owns right, and a definitive 3rd generation character hasn't been represented yet. The trainer would ether be Brendan or May depending on the costume used.

But maybe this is just me having a fixation for the 3rd generation, and hoping for the potential Ruby & Sapphire remakes.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
instead of a protagonist, maybe Cynthia, the Champion of Sinnoh? she has appeared in every main series game since Diamond and Pearl. what other Pokemon character has done this before? none, that is! and she's popular within the fandom...

she could have Garchomp, Roserade and Glaceon as her Pokémon.

[COLLAPSE="Cynthia"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Cynthia's Pokémon"]

Garchomp

Roserade

Glaceon[/COLLAPSE]

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How about N with Timburr, Darmanitan, and Carracosta? In his Final Smash he would switch between Zekrom and Reshiram.

:phone:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I want to see the veteran pokemon have trainers in the background. It wouldn't add anything except visual flair but I think it would be a nice added touch.

Leaf for Jigglypuff

Giovanni for Mewtwo

Cynthia for Lucario

Gold for Pichu

& let's face it, Ash for Pikachu

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Personally the 3rd generation selection seems to be the best at the moment. Arguably Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken are all fan favorites in their owns right, and a definitive 3rd generation character hasn't been represented yet. The trainer would ether be Brendan or May depending on the costume used.

But maybe this is just me having a fixation for the 3rd generation, and hoping for the potential Ruby & Sapphire remakes.
I must be the only one who has a problem with this combination. How would Mudkip work? At the very least, Ivysaur had her Vine Whips. What does that Mudskipper have to support his four-legged body?

I rather the combination be Treecko, Combusken, and Swampert.

Also, Infernape does not make a good heavyweight.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I want to see the veteran pokemon have trainers in the background. It wouldn't add anything except visual flair but I think it would be a nice added touch.

Leaf for Jigglypuff

Giovanni for Mewtwo

Cynthia for Lucario

Gold for Pichu

& let's face it, Ash for Pikachu
Ash in Smash Bros.? 0% chance. He originated in the anime, not the games. If Ash could get in the game then Goku and Naruto could do it as well. Not gonna happen: Sakurai said so.
Besides, I don't think people would be happy to have him in SSB4.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
They should just allow u to choose any generation trainer with the pokemon order based on popularity. :awesome:

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
IMO second trainer should be Team Rocket or Blue. Team Rocket would most likely represent the games, and seeing how PT is from gen1 so should the bad guy, which is why no Plazma, Magma, or aqua. Pokemon team?
Light Weight---Medium Weight----Heavy Weight
Golbat----------Raticate------------ Muk/Weezing
You could even do a Giovanni take on it
Light Weight---Medium Weight---Heavy Weight
Persian---------Nidorino-----------Rhydon

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
My triple dream team?

assuming Charizard is still with the orignal PKMN trainer...

I'd go with Weezing, Umberon, and Cradily.

Yeah, kinda weird. Just some of my favs xD.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I know I'll probably be alone here, but how about Wes from Colosseum? He's definitely cooler than most of those mentioned, both in appearance and Pokemon.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Cyndaquil, Bayleef, Feraligatr

Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken

Piplup, Grotle, Infernape

Snivy, Pignite, Samurott

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I think the only other viable Pokemon trainer to add would be the Team Rocket line up.

Golbat would be the lightweight and play a lot like MK, but using projectiles like supersonic.

Raticate would be the mid weight and have obvious move sets.

I would choose Drowsee as the third one. Though he is only minorly used by TR. Perhaps Ryhorn would be a better choice.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Pokemon Trainer Lance:
Dragonite
Haxorus
Charizard
~
Pokemon Trainer Ethan
Typhlosion
Scizor
Hitmontop
~
Pokemon Trainer Micheal (XD)
Eevee
~
International Police Looker
Croagunk

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Micheal? He was merely a younger less cool version of Wes.

Giovanni and Lance sound interesting though, however unlikely.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wes with Espeon and Umbreon would be awesome.

And I have a couple of ideas for the final smash.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but how about a more customized approach? We can have all of the trainers to choose from, and all of the starter to mix and match into three slots. We could get combinations like Gary Oak carrying Blaziken, Charizard, and Typhlosion, then.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but how about a more customized approach? We can have all of the trainers to choose from, and all of the starter to mix and match into three slots. We could get combinations like Gary Oak carrying Blaziken, Charizard, and Typhlosion, then.
Its a nice idea, but I don't think game developers would be fond of actually creating entire characters without them actually being used.

Newguyoo0

Smash Cadet
I think it'd be easier to just make the main protagonists of each generation and make them use each of their respective regions starters. That way the the devolpers don't really have to worry about who gets shafted and who doesn't. Let's face it, choosing between between, I think, 649 different characters is hard. Nintendo can't please everyone.

But for the record, if I could have a customizable trainer his pokemon will be: Shiftry, Klinkklang, and Torterra.
My regional starters will be:
Johto: Cyndaquill, Bayleef, Feraligator
Hoenn: Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken
Sinnoh: Piplub, Monferno, Torterra
Unova: Snivy, Dewott, Emboar.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
There's actually two new trainers in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2.

But if we were to get another trainer (which I doubt), I think we should get a specific opposing character such as N or Cynthia.

I think for N, he should have the legendary dragon with him.. but how do they choose whether he gets Reshiram or Zekrom? Or maybe he could have both...? And switch between? Or maybe he does have both, but you can't switch between them, and only select which one you want to play as at the select screen.

Newguyoo0

Smash Cadet
I like the idea of a mixed trainer,, but who would the character look like? Would their default color be Red, then all the alternate outfits Ethan, Brendan, Lucas and Hilbert? What about the female protagonists? I guess they could have a male trainer and a female trainer as 2 separate fighters. I'm assuming all trainers are using starters. So how would that work? Before the match the player would choose their 3 pokemon? Would they get to choose between all 45 starters or is it set up to be a specific choice? like all basic water, 2nd evolution grass and fully evolved fire.

I like the idea but, I think it might be too complex to work all the kinks out, especially for 1 character. Man I love the thought of using Brenden with Bulbasaur, Grovyle and Torterra.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
There's actually two new trainers in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2.

But if we were to get another trainer (which I doubt), I think we should get a specific opposing character such as N or Cynthia.

I think for N, he should have the legendary dragon with him.. but how do they choose whether he gets Reshiram or Zekrom? Or maybe he could have both...? And switch between? Or maybe he does have both, but you can't switch between them, and only select which one you want to play as at the select screen.
I can see an epic boss battle, where you fight N riding Zekrom / Reshiram. :awesome:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've seen a lot of people want a new PT that has the starters from one generation or the other(i.e. 4th gen PT). What I'd think would be interesting is if you had a PT that used starters from three generations.

So, for instance, a PT with starters from Gens 1-3 would have Mudkip(the most memetic water starter), Charizard(probably the most popular 1st gen starter), and Bayleef(just 'cuz).

Newguyoo0

Smash Cadet
Replace Bayleef with either Grotle or Servine, then we got something. But what would the new PT look like? I hope it looks like Hoenn's protagonist.

But TBH, I would prefer if the new PT was region specific (Hoenn trainer with Hoenn starters).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Replace Bayleef with either Grotle or Servine, then we got something. But what would the new PT look like? I hope it looks like Hoenn's protagonist.

But TBH, I would prefer if the new PT was region specific (Hoenn trainer with Hoenn starters).
I was going for a "classic" PT that gave representation to the first three generations. Mudkip and Charizard seemed like no-brainers, and so Bayleef got thrown in just 'cuz.

And I'd like it if we saw a mixed Gen trainer that gave representation to generations without existing reps.

D

Deleted member

Mixing Generations on the Pokemon Trainer for the sole reason to represent the Generation is idiotic in my opinion. They are the way they are for a REASON.

If Sakurai didn't care about representing every Generation before, why should he now? I don't even think he LOOKS at them as Generations like we do.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of having all gen. trainers & their starters. I don't like the mixed starters though. Each gen. trainer gets their gen. pokemon. Evolutions could be based on popularity.

My personal picks.

1st: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
2nd: Cyndaquill, Croconaw, Meganium
3rd: Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken
4th: Turtwig, Monferno, Empoleon
5th: Tepig, Dewott, Serperior

This will probably never happen.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just to mention this for the heck of it. But in the Manga, Red at one point had only these Pokemon on his team:

Charizard, Mewtwo, and Deoxys.

:cool:

Newguyoo0

Smash Cadet
Alright so it seems having each region with their own starters has the majority vote.

So what region should be represented in Smash 4?

We'll take a vote. Every once in a while we'll poll a diferent region to see what's the most popular. After we agree on a region, then we can worry about what pokemon the trainer gets.

Let's just assume Kanto (Red) returns with the same pokemon, so we can skip him. But just to be fair we can vote for Leaf to make an appearance as a pallet swap. NOT A SEPARATE CHARACTER. Because we don't need too much Kanto representation. IMO.

So how does everyone feel about Johto/Ethan/Lyra/Kris?

just say ''aye'' if you agree or ''nay'' if you don't. I say Nay.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Aye. I've actually been waiting for a poll like this.

You could add the trainers from their region for each poll. The other gender counterpart could be an alt. & that trainer's pokemon could wear costumes to represent pokemon contests.

I grew up on Kris, but Lyra is the female trainer for Johto now. You can always just add all three to the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom