• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's Right! Meowth for Smash Bros! UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p09hhXbsB9c
PREPARE FOR TROUBLE! MAKE IT DOUBLE!
TO PROTECT THE WORLD FROM DEVISTATION! TO UNITE ALL PEOPLES IN OUR NATION!
TO DENOUNCE THE EVILS OF TRUTH AND LOVE! TO EXTEND OUR REACH TO THE STARS ABOVE!
JESSIE! JAMES!
TEAM ROCKET BLASTS OFF AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT! SURRENDER NOW OR PREPARE TO FIGHT!

MEOWTH! DAT'S RIGHT!
(And that was all from memory)

MEOWTH FOR SUPER SMASH BROTHERS 4!

Who is Meowth?
Well, many of you probably aren't asking this question, since you probably already know who this cool cat is. Regardless, I'll explain anyway. Meowth is one of the most famous Pokémon around, probably behind only Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, and maybe Lucario. He's a big part of Team Rocket and Pikachu's main rival. Although Meowth's importance, popularity, and notoriety come from the anime, there is no denying the anime's importance to Smash Bros and the Pokémon franchise in general.

Why should Meowth be included?
There are many reasons to back up how deserving Meowth is. Like mentioned before, he is one of the most recognizable Pokémon in existence, and he can certainly warrant the title "Nintendo all-star". While his popularity has dwindled as of late, he still remains a beloved character who many would love in Smash. Next to Pikachu, there is no question that Meowth has appeared in more episodes of the anime than any other Pokémon, being involved in every scheme of Team Rocket's since episode one. Importance? Check. Meowth, albeit not overly unique, can also offer an interesting playstyle revolving around quick scratches, combos, and hitstun, making him an approachable character and a character that more experienced players will be drawn to.

UNFINISHED OP, CHECK BACK SOON TO SEE THE BRAND NEW COMPLETED OP.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Fury Swipes
Pay Day
Scratch, Slash and Bite
The makings of a dirty fighter, and the pokemon series needs a villain now that mewtwo's been snuffed out

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah Meowth. For some reason I always wondered why Jigglypuff made it in instead of him back in the Smash 64 days. Not that I hate Jigglypuff or anything, she's awesome.

Anyway, about Meowth. He's a pretty great character and I would love to see him finally get his revenge on Pikachu for always blasting him off, lol. xD

But I still rather have Mewtwo back but I certainly won't complain if Meowth made it in.

Smady

Smash Master
If only. I'd say it's extremely unlikely, even if he is a far better character than Jigglypuff. Though we do know Sakurai faps to his cats, what with his Twitter being flooded with pictures of his "fart cat" or whatever the Chrome translator calls the thing.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
I was considering making this thread but I'm glad someone else got to it :)

Wut alot of people dont think about is the potential in meowths speed game the way I'd see it is meowth would have attack speed to rival if not beat metanight.

Oh and i would change side B to thief and make fury swipes he's upB recovery, and then down B be blasting off kinda like a snake recovery?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ahh, yes... Meowth. Now that is the one Pokemon I truly want to play as in Smash for a long time. We should post on Sakurai's Twitter and ask him to add Meowth as a new character.

:phone:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I saw someone with a meowth support gif in their sig

Can someone PLEASE tell me where everyone keeps getting these gifs from?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
given the fact that he was considered during the original SSB's development, I think he could make it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
given the fact that he was considered during the original SSB's development, I think he could make it.
Especially when you consider that Pit was originally going to be in Smash 64.

On a side note, Meowth should talk but, like Pikachu, he wouldn't be the same as the anime character. After all Meowth not knowing Pay Day was a major plot point in the anime.

"Such a noid."

Meowth...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only known characters that were cut from Smash 64 were Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede. Wolf might have been the fourth one, giving us four villains that line up perfectly underneath Yoshi, Kirby, Fox,and Pikachu, but we'll never really now.

But I personally want Meowth AND Mewtwo in. Zoroark can go jump off a cliff for all I care.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Zoroark will be the dirty fighter in the next game. But is Meowth's popularity still high?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The thing is, I can't see Zoroark happening because her Illusions are really difficult to implement unless she has a strong projectile game.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Illusion can be implemented literally.

Zoroark takes a the form of the opponent (same color and a randomized opponent form if more than one foe on the screen) Has animations and move sets of said character, but the stats of Zoroark. Jumping height, speed, power, ect. So only range, target size, and move set animation would change.

Or/and illusion can be incorporated in projectiles. If a projectile is shot, it has a 50/50 chance of being real.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The thing is, I can't see Zoroark happening because her Illusions are really difficult to implement unless she has a strong projectile game.
there is more to Zoroark other than its Illusion ability... just saying.
in the Pokémon games, Dark type moves involve thievery and cunning, which defines a dirty, tricky fighter, which, as a Dark type, Zoroark fits in.

its signature move Night Daze, along with Dark Pulse, makes it possible for it to have projectile or long ranged moves. see Lucario: it has a lot of moves inspired by its signature Aura Sphere attack. same goes with Pikachu and its Electric moves.

and also, this is Smash Bros., you can take some creative liberties when making movesets. Sakurai said that movesets must also reflect what the character is.

and why Meowth appearing stops Zoroark from appearing? that logic doesn't make sense.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's not drift off. Zoroark has it's own topic anyway.

I updated the OP with a moveset but I need some feedback and sugestions.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only problem with the first one is that hit and hurtboxes would be completely wonkey. Not only that, but that implies that Zoroark transforms into the character - not wearing a "veil" over herself to look like the character.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Let's not drift off. Zoroark has it's own topic anyway.

I updated the OP with a moveset but I need some feedback and sugestions.
The Up B is creative. The more damage the further you go. Of course, to be balanced I think the Up B has to have a chance to kill you. Maybe after 100 percent, Blast Off really launches you dangerously high.

Thief is maybe a generic attack, but it does have extra flavor in some circumstances.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only problem with the first one is that hit and hurtboxes would be completely wonkey. Not only that, but that implies that Zoroark transforms into the character - not wearing a "veil" over herself to look like the character.
I've got an idea: perhaps, whenever in the Illusion mode, Zoroark loads a character's model but can't attack or be attacked, otherwise the trick would fail. that way it could be possible to confuse others in a match. the only drawback is the uselessness in a 1v1 match.

but this Zoroark talking is getting off-topic! this is about Meowth, remember? I think it could be a fast, nimble character, it's a cat after all! maybe the Pay Day attack could steal coins in coin mode? or reward more spending coins? what do you think?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
meowth should definatly be in the next smash

and im willing to bet one of his taunts or victory poses will be his old catchphrase from the early days of the anime

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Updated the OP with Move sugestions.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Meowth did deserve his chance and I admit that the fact that Jigglypuff is in smash bros since SSB64 when Meowth is not still piss me off to this day.

For the good points I will say :
-He is a major pokemon from the anime and actually appear in some games, also Meowths have appeared in games before the anime unlike character like Ash so I think the rule about anime character don't applied to Meowth.
-He can represent a part of pokemon who is still unrepresented to this day, the evils team, the main plot from the scenarios in pokemons games. Meowth can represent the most iconic of them : Team Rocket.

Still today his chance is low :
-He suffer from competion...BIG competion : Mewtwo, Zoroark and Victini by exemple and this competion grow bigger every new generation of pokemons.
-Some will say no because we have too much pokemon from generation 1 (i'm not agree with this, since if a pokemon is iconic he deserve to be in regardless to his generation) .

I think the best chance that we got Meowth are :
-Cuts in the pokemon roster, that's one of his chance but that would be a shame if that happen, Pikachu is the mascot of the series, Jigglypuff that I like it or not is an icon of smash bros and one of the original 12, the Pokemon Trainer is the hero of the pokemons games and so don't deserve unless if it's fot another one and Lucario is one of the only pokemons that the new players of pokemon get and represent and still has some popularaty, it will be at a lesser extent (since a lot of people expect him to be cut) the same that to cut Mewtwo, do you want this to happen again ?
-Mewtwo don't come back, I don't think I should even explain why that would be a stupid move from Sakurai if that happen.
-DLC the most likely way he will make it.

After all these years i think i will keep to support Meowth anyway, Team Rocket forever x)

@DakotaBonez They were made by Starphoenix and you can find them here :
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305916

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wasn't that Meowth Party game canceled? Oh well, I still think Meowth looks pretty cool with a guitar though. Even though I think Pay Day could be his final smash instead, the Smash 64 style I mean. So what would be his alternate costumes?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wasn't that Meowth Party game canceled? Oh well, I still think Meowth looks pretty cool with a guitar though. Even though I think Pay Day could be his final smash instead, the Smash 64 style I mean. So what would be his alternate costumes?
Meowth's party was cancelled but the Beta was used to make part of a Pichu Brothers Episode in Pokemon Channel.

His alternate costumes would inevitably be one or more of the disguises he's worn in the series like Weavile or Sunflora.

Edit: 151 posts. I am such a Gen Wunner

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I thought about a Stage

Celadon City
Rocket Hideout

Based on the arrow puzzles from the original game.
The stage has three levels and each platform has an arrow in the middle of it that send any character that touches it int that direction. Left and right launch the character along the length of the platform as if it was slippery. Up launches the character upward. Down drops the character to the platform below. (For fairness sakes the bottom platform never points downward) They change every 30 second or so.

Giovanni looks on from the back ground.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Pay Day will depend if we use Team rocket's Meowth or a regular Meowth.
TR Meowth have abondon this move to be able to talk, using this move will be out of character even if it's regular Meowths signature attack.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Really? I thought he learned to talk by reading those educational childrens books in order to impress that female Meowth, Didn't know he lost a move from that. Interesting.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Really? I thought he learned to talk by reading those educational childrens books in order to impress that female Meowth, Didn't know he lost a move from that. Interesting.
Yes he learned to talk with these books and learn to walk like a human by watching dance lessons if I remember but for this he did not learn Pay day, who is kinda ironic when you think at all the times where jessie and james don't have money to buy food (but somehow always have enough to buy giant robots).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pay Day will depend if we use Team rocket's Meowth or a regular Meowth.
TR Meowth have abondon this move to be able to talk, using this move will be out of character even if it's regular Meowths signature attack.
Not nessesarily. Ness and Lucas never knew half of thier Brawl Move in the original games, Pikachu never used any move called thunder jolt and Falcon's moveset was made whole cloth. Besides Marth and Ike are out of character. Smash!Marth is a braggart and Canon!Ike shows sympathy even to the Black Knight.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You would think a Pokemon that has the ability to produce gold could lose you from all those money problems...

Gosh the more I think about it, the more I really want to see Meowth finally becoming playable in Smash. He just fits in. Too bad the Pokemon series is really having this stupid repping issues with Mewtwo, Zoroark and Lucario all wanting to be a part of the fray, not to mention 6th and later gen's that come along. You gotta feel sorry for poor Meowth. I really hope they expand the total character per series count to 5 or 6 now instead of 4 even though it probably wouldn't make much of a difference for the Pokemon cast.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Yes but when pikachu, lucario, jigglypuff and pokemon trainer final smash have been made up from nothing, they never tell I can't learn that move same for ness, lucas and Falcon's move, Meowth on the other hand was very clear. I will try to search for a video.

Edit : But when i think about it again, i think that sonic tell in one of his game that he wasn't able to swim but still manage to do it in brawl. I just ownned myself *hide in the corner in shame*.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Hmm thats not a bad idea for a thread?
The most wanted firstgen reps? Does it exist??

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Especially when you consider that Pit was originally going to be in Smash 64.
Neither of these have any proof whatsoever. The only characters with proof other than word of mouth are Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede, as Sakurai actually says that they were planned on the Japanese Smash 64 website underneath the pre-Melee poll.

EDIT: Peach, another commonly rumored character alongside Pit and Meowth, would have also been mentioned with Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede if she was really planned, as she, like them, was also on the Top 10.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
IMO, Smash Meowth should be a mix of both Anime Meowth and Game Meowth. Meowth should be able to throw coins like in the games and be able to talk like in the anime. Remember, Smash celebrates the history of Nintendo and their characters. That's why I think that Meowth in Smash should be based on Meowth from the games and the Meowth from the anime.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Does anyone have any ideas for tilts, smashes and aerials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom