• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chaos Control: Shadow the Hedgehog for SSB4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
All Hail SHADOW

That's right, I think we should have Shadow the Hedgehog. We had Sonic after so many requests in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. There are plenty of arguments that Tails should get in before Shadow, and I'd like to address it all here.

So let me get right to answering the points that I know will be brought up:

1) "He's just a clone!!!!!!"

No, he really isn't. Shadow the Hedgehog has proven time and time again to have different abilities which RIVAL Sonic, not Mimic. Shadow the Hedgehog uses his Chaos Emerald to distort time and space, OFTEN. Yes I know Sonic had a Chaos Emerald, but it took Shadow to teach him how to use it. It's clear that Shadow has MORE knowledge about using the Chaos Emerald, and uses Chaos Spear, Chaos Control, and Chaos Blast to name a few. We've also never really seen a character PASSIVELY ride on anything, whereas Shadow uses Skates.Not to mention he has a gun and a motorcycle now.

2) "Tails would be a better Character!!!"

Tails would be an excellent character to SSB4. I'd prefer both the characters be introduced to be completely honest. Having played SA2:B, Sonic Heroes, and the likes, I enjoy Tails a lot. IF the argument is Tail would be a very mechanical character, using cannons etc. I can completely understand if Tails got in over Shadow. If however you want tails to be using his tails to fly, and just run around kicking people: Shadow would be a way better character.

3) "There's NO WAY we'd get another Sonic Character."

Really? No WAY? Not at all? How the hell did we get Sonic? The reason we didn't like Sonic in Brawl was because it was executed poorly. It's like the developers said: he rolls up in a ball and runs fast, and just made everything do THAT. Don't chalk that up to Shadow, or act like Shadow would be in the same nature. Look, it's all about "Foot in Door" really. MOST of the time (not always), if you get your foot in the door with one character, it becomes much easier to get another character. Mario Series started with Mario and Luigi, then overtime acquired Peach, Bowser, and Wario. Kirby started by himself, now we have King DeeDeeDee and Meta Knight. Donkey has Diddy. Pikachu and Jiggly have Lucario and Pokemon Trainer. Fox has Falco and Wolf. The list goes on and on and on. In the words of Justin Biber (LOLOL JK), never say never.

4) "Shadow the Hedgehog isn't popular enough!!!"

Maybe not in your demographic. What people don't seem to understand is- while you grew up on an older generation of games where Sonic and Tails, maybe KNUCKLES were "the man", the newer generation of players coming into the world didn't have that. A lot of new-gen Sonic lovers's favorite character is Shadow the Hedgehog believe it or not. He's the icon of cool, he has DEPTH in an otherwise Shallow franchise. So the popularity exists. Which brings me to my last point...

5) "Why add Shadow?"

Because he has depth. Not just because it'd be really fun to have a magic incredibly fast character in the game. He's got GREAT depth. On appose to a guy who just runs on cocaine saying YOU'RE TOOOO SLOOOW or a big *** purple cat, Shadow has a back story. An antihero in such a light hearted game is so hard to find these days. An identity crisis in Sonic Heroes? His favorite caregiver dies in flash backs??? It's a real god damn character and you have to respect that.

I know people have made move sets. I know people like Shadow. Let's see some support!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well given the amount of Shadow mods there are out there I'd say he has support in droves. If they did his moves justice I'd support.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wouldn't mind his appearence, even if he's unlikely to.

Thinking a little bit I see that, personality-wise (not backstory-wise), Shadow, Dark Pit and Meta Knight are similar characters, as fitting in their roles as anti-heroes. But by far, Shadow has the darkest backstory.

And yes, he doesn't have to be a clone of Sonic, despite similar appearence and abilities. Moves like Chaos Control and Chaos Spear could distinguish from his counterpart.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I always supported Shadow a lot until I had the thought that he has a good chance of being a clone. But if he won't be a clone then he is probably my most wanted Sonic character.

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
Shadow should definitely be in the next game, We already have many good reason as to why. Everyone has been waiting for him to join the smash series like with sonic ever since melee first came out and they even made a april fools prank that he was gonna be in melee

volbound1700

Smash Master
Knuckes is a better addition with a more unique move set from Sonic the Hedgehog. However, I think Sonic will be the only rep from that series in the game (but will have a better moveset).

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
What makes you say that?
Well Knuckles is an actual fighter. For me it is between him and Tails; just because Tails is Sonic's Luigi.

Shadow might be good, but doubt he has chances to the playable. And while he is very popular right now, the 2 I mentioned and maybe Eggman have more history to deserve being playable.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Metal Sonic or Knuckles would be better

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
Well Knuckles is an actual fighter. For me it is between him and Tails; just because Tails is Sonic's Luigi.

Shadow might be good, but doubt he has chances to the playable. And while he is very popular right now, the 2 I mentioned and maybe Eggman have more history to deserve being playable.
How is Shadow not a fighter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9fluX6W8kA Straight Round House kicks this gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0elL9jEeq0

...Yeah I beg your pardon on that

D

Deleted member

The "actual fighter" bull**** is countered by Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle.
I mean we had freaking Cream the Rabbit as a fighter in the latter.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Sees bull**** reasonings from both sides.

@Anti-Shadow argument: Get out of here with the actual fighter BS, two Sonic Fighting games have made everyone in the franchise a fighter. Oh, if you don't want to follow that logic then I will follow yours. Rouge The Bat is an actual fighter. Reference; SA2

Herp.

@Pro-Shadow argument: Can we keep the bad qualities of Shadow out of this if you want to make solid argument? Those terribad memories of Shadow using guns and other stuff like it was a one time thing, thankfully at that, never again does he use those. Unforunately IMO, the useage of motorcycles and cars >___> have been somewhat consistent so I guess you can make a case. Focus on his Choas abilities, speed, and backgroud (bar Shadow The Hedgehog) as your basis please. If you are going to push for my favorite Sonic character don't make him worse than what the series have made him.

Derp.

We out.

D

Deleted member

The background was fine from his game.
Just keep the guns out, and leave the vehichles to the Sonic Racing games.

Obviously his ShTH background would be needed for his Trophy information.

Airik

Smash Rookie
I know I was pretty disappointed when Shadow didn't make his debut with Sonic in Brawl :c
My theory was pretty simple and straightforward although it did support the idea of him being a clone, although this theory does get a bit more footing now that bandai is working on the game. If you remember in Dragon Ball Z budokai 2 when you play as goten or kid trunks, you have the option of switching back and forth bewtween the characters right in the middle of gameplay. I thought this would have been an awesome idea back when brawl was first being announced, and i still think it holds true today. given that zelda can use down b to transform and pokemon trainer can use down b to switch out pokemon, why not have sonic and shadow be able to switch out with down b using some method like choas control? of course they wouldnt have to be clones either, and this would save a slot for another sonic character since sonic and shadow would share one icon on the character select screen.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
No thanks. If we have to get another Sonic character, I would infinitely prefer Dr. Robotnik/Eggman. He's probably the most prominent character in the franchise outside of Sonic, having been there since the original game, and it'd be fun to see what devices he could hide in his Egg-Walker/Egg-Mobile.

Thinking a little bit I see that, personality-wise (not backstory-wise), Shadow, Dark Pit and Meta Knight are similar characters, as fitting in their roles as anti-heroes. But by far, Shadow has the darkest backstory.
Dah-waht?

Meta Knight acts nothing like Shadow or Dark Pit. His general role is to cryptically offer help to Kirby, with the only exception being when he tried to take over Dreamland (Because he thought the citizens were being too lazy). He's not angsty.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
No thanks. If we have to get another Sonic character, I would infinitely prefer Dr. Robotnik/Eggman. He's probably the most prominent character in the franchise outside of Sonic, having been there since the original game, and it'd be fun to see what devices he could hide in his Egg-Walker/Egg-Mobile.

Dah-waht?

Meta Knight acts nothing like Shadow or Dark Pit. His general role is to cryptically offer help to Kirby, with the only exception being when he tried to take over Dreamland (Because he thought the citizens were being too lazy). He's not angsty.
the similarity would be the fact that all these characters play the role of villain and allies at the same time. but yes, they have different personalities and traits.

also I agree that post was kind of vague, my English isn't perfect so, sometimes, it's hard for me to transmit my thoughts... hope you understand.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I would prefer Tails or Knuckles, but Shadow would be nice.
I don't see any of them coming though, because I think they will still limit one character per third-party franchise

D

Deleted member

As long as Ninty and Sega keep pumping out those Olympic Games, it shouldn't be surprising if we get a second character.

Dub24M

Smash Rookie
shadow was another assist trophie that should have been a playable character also would like to see knuckles as a newcomer as well

:phone:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sorry to burst everyones bubble but realisticly theres only 2/3 Third party slots and if Sonic does return the chance of another Sonic rep getting in to take up another Third party slot is like 0/...

Also if it means anything
Kunckles>Shadow xD.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, I wouldn't expect more than 4 3rd parties, which means we'll probably stay w/ one char per franchise.

Also, I hate people who want to turn this game into Nintendo vs. Sonic.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yeah, I wouldn't expect more than 4 3rd parties, which means we'll probably stay w/ one char per franchise.

Also, I hate people who want to turn this game into Nintendo vs. Sonic.
Hmm yh i see what you mean but thats the sorta beauty of smash. Massive cast so diverse (*cough* minus clones *cough)

Sonic got in now its only logical/fair that Shadow and his whole crew get in.. and snake with his whols crew..Raiden blaa blaa..

This is what Sakurai expected and he is right..(god forbid me agreeing with sakurai on ANYthing..)

Theres already crazy demand/death threats about 1st party newcomers getting in...

Adding to many 3rd partys will will-nilly xD lose focus of the whole point of it meaning to be a Nintendo All-Star smash up.
and with how diverse 3rd parties are the fun and demand endless possibities wont stop so he needs to cork it.

3rd partys werent in Smash64 or Melee and since they just came in on Brawl you should take 3rd partys as a huge blessing. I Actually thought they would be no 3rd parties in Sm4sh but when Sakurai said hes wants to limit ''limit meaning they still will be 1 or 2'' i was shocked!

3rd parties are nothing but great no doubt but its alotta fuss to get em in and having few makes it special also see it as a blessing..Like ordering chicken wings in a shop and they guy accidently gives you a extra wing. Your not gonna say to him ''Hey! gimme another...''

No doubt though
Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails.
Event match would be SickKkK!!!!!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Just keep sonic if possible and make him better.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
So my mans here is saying that Shadow has depth as a character

While there is some truth to that, Shadow's story post-SA2 is awful. All opinions aside, just looking at it objectively, it wasn't a good decision to retcon his death in SA2. He may have been the most developed as far as Sonic games go (which isn't exactly saying much considering story has never been the series' strong point), but the direction they took his character from that point on was anything but a good one.

His final moments in SA2 were the perfect way to give his story closure. But instead of keeping things that way, SEGA decided to give in to their fans and needlessly drag his story on in Heroes onwards. Although I will admit that his loss of memory was the best way they could have brought him back, and that his portrayal as a character trying to find their memories was a good one in Sonic Heroes, pretty much everything about that story got tangled in with the other new aspects of his story in Shadow the Hedgehog. To put it bluntly, SEGA had transformed Shadow's story into an overly complicated mess, and overexaggerated the darker aspects of his character by giving him guns, a motorcycle and making him use profanity, which took the away from the credibility of his character and made him more of the cliched anti-hero of the series that a lot of people see him as today.

So, with all that said, why exactly would having a good story in the first place matter when it comes him being a playable character in Smash in any way? Especially since Smash is not even a story-intensive series in the slightest? Last time I checked, we don't play as Shadow's character development, we play as Shadow himself. Why not focus on other factors like the popularity of the character, the variety of the abilities he possesses, the amount of requests he receives to be a playable character in Smash, etc.

I have never laughed this hard at a Smash Boards post before :laugh:

Gif= saved

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I know I was pretty disappointed when Shadow didn't make his debut with Sonic in Brawl :c
My theory was pretty simple and straightforward although it did support the idea of him being a clone, although this theory does get a bit more footing now that bandai is working on the game. If you remember in Dragon Ball Z budokai 2 when you play as goten or kid trunks, you have the option of switching back and forth bewtween the characters right in the middle of gameplay. I thought this would have been an awesome idea back when brawl was first being announced, and i still think it holds true today. given that zelda can use down b to transform and pokemon trainer can use down b to switch out pokemon, why not have sonic and shadow be able to switch out with down b using some method like choas control? of course they wouldnt have to be clones either, and this would save a slot for another sonic character since sonic and shadow would share one icon on the character select screen.
If Sonic was to be changed to a transforming character like Zelda/Sheik or act like an IC's tag team, he should be paired with Tails.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Shadow to Sonic is like going Dark Samus to Samus. They look the same with color changes. But they are in reality completely different,, but no many people care enough to either play their games or study them to see the difference.

Jacob Listerud

Smash Rookie
Nintendo needs to let its third-party franchise have more representitives in Smash Bros. And besides, Shadow is just flat-out awesome! Shadow should definitly be in the new Smash Bros. I want, borderline demand it. Make it happen, Nintendo and SEGA. No Excuses.

Jacob Listerud

Smash Rookie
I even have the perfect special attack set for Shadow:

B: Chaos Spear: Charges energy into a spear-like beam and fires it.
Up-B: Chaos Control:Dissolves into a green flash before moving upwards and reappearing. Like Zelda's Farore's Wind
Side-B: Wandering Chaos: Sends a ball of purple electricity to shock an enemy. Similar to Zelda's Din's Fire
Down-B: Spin Charge: Curls into a ball and dashes at enemies. Same as Sonic’s Spin Charge.

Final Smash: Chaos Blast: Summons an energy shield around him. Anyone who gets caught in that shield gets K.Oed.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
3) "There's NO WAY we'd get another Sonic Character."

Really? No WAY? Not at all? How the hell did we get Sonic? The reason we didn't like Sonic in Brawl was because it was executed poorly. It's like the developers said: he rolls up in a ball and runs fast, and just made everything do THAT. Don't chalk that up to Shadow, or act like Shadow would be in the same nature. Look, it's all about "Foot in Door" really. MOST of the time (not always), if you get your foot in the door with one character, it becomes much easier to get another character. Mario Series started with Mario and Luigi, then overtime acquired Peach, Bowser, and Wario. Kirby started by himself, now we have King DeeDeeDee and Meta Knight. Donkey has Diddy. Pikachu and Jiggly have Lucario and Pokemon Trainer. Fox has Falco and Wolf. The list goes on and on and on. In the words of Justin Biber (LOLOL JK), never say never.
This is one of the few times when it's okay to say never. You're a right idiot to expect more than one character from a 3rd Party franchise.
Sakurai wants to limit 3rd Parties. Adding more characters from a 3rd Party franchise would upset everyone because 3rd Party spots are so limited. That spot goes to someone more deserving repping his/her own franchise.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Original the Character should 'Chaos Control' as far away from Smash Bros as possible, preferably into oblivion.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
OK, I'm going to make a statement here: I love Sonic the Hedgehog. I love Mega Man. I LOVE third-parties. I'd enjoy using Tails, Knuckles or Shadow in the next Super Smash Bros. But I don't want them. The thing is, each third-party is probably going to be limited to:

1 Character
A few trophies
1 Assist Trophy
A crapload of stickers
1 Stage

Metal Gear followed it, and so did Sonic. Even though Sonic is a gaming icon, he's not a Nintendo gaming icon. He's there because he himself is part of Nintendo's history, being the main mascot of Nintendo's rival company. Nowadays, the two are very close partners, and Sonic in Smash proves that. But just because the two are friends doesn't mean they'll allow another SEGA/Sonic character be playable. If they decided to do a Sonic/Tails duo like the Ice Climbers, they could. But it's only 1 character spot. There's no way Sonic and Shadow will have two spots on the roster. And it's very unlikely we'll see them team up or do a tag team.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Eh, no thanks. Couple of points.

1) Maybe around Brawl time, Shadow would have made sense as a second Sonic rep. That's probably why he was the Sonic Assist Trophy in Brawl, but Shadow hasn't been around much lately. In the main games, he was completely absent in Unleashed, Colors, both episodes of Sonic 4 and it looks like he's not in Lost World. Tails has been in all of those, except Sonic 4 Episode 1. And Knuckles and Amy have been in a couple as well.

2) If Sonic's going to get another character, which I doubt, I think Sakurai would want to go back to the classic era. Sonic retained his modern design in Brawl, but controlled much closer to his retro counterpart, and his stage was decidedly retro as well. It's just more likely we'd get Tails, Knuckles, Eggman or even Amy as a second rep before Shadow.

Maybe I'm biased, as a member of that "certain generation" the OP mentions who can remember waking up on Christmas morning in 1992 and finding a Sega Genesis with Sonic 1 and 2 (and QuackShot, which was a badass game), but to me, the core Sonic cast was rounded out by 1994, and every else they add is just window dressing.

Blaze is alright.

SonicMario

Smash Master
It's never going to happen. But even as a Sonic fan who's been into the series since the Modern Sonic era began. I oppose Shadow's inclusion as playable in a SSB game. Especially not before Tails and/or Knuckles. You're best left with a alt. color scheme that gives Sonic's Shadow's colors similar to how Peach can get Daisy's colors.

The spot for it doesn't exist, and probably wouldn't unless Nintendo bought Sega and made them 2nd party. But if the stars align for the possibility, I'd be pissed if Shadow got the hypothetical 2nd Sonic spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom