• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

....AND NOW.... The Cheetahmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
....AND NOW....
THE CHEETAHMEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmoJkHS-2E

From the dark, horrid bowells of video game history comes THE CHEETAHMEN. The creations of Vince Perri, the Cheetahmen were Action 52's catch. Made to compete with other anthropomorphic heroes that were popular in the late 80's, early 90's such as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Battletoads, the Cheetahmen received top advertising for the game. They appeared in the Action 52 commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWXOQD-VAmY), received a comic book of their own, and there were even plans for Cheetahmen action figures and future games devoted solely to them. Of course, Vince Perri's ambition FAR exceeded his abilities and the customers soon realized this. The cost they wanted for the original game (Printed conveniently on the cover in proud display) was $199 - Expensive even for today's standards. In the end, the company were left with piles of unsold games they desperately tried to sell off to rental stores in bulk. Here is Active Enterprises (Action 52's company) newsletter, talking of their future plans (http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/special/active.html). And just for kicks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjhw5XHBqt0&feature=player_embedded)

A fun fact about Active Enterprises and Action 52/ The Cheetahmen: It was PROUD to be made in AMERICA with all the quality of an AMERICAn product

I'm dead serious too. One of their main points of the product had to do with most games and technology being made in Asia and believed the people would have a wave of anti-Asian products.

Despite Vince Perri's claim that the game was created after seeing his son playing an illegal korean game with 40 games on it and wanting to make a similar, but legal game, Active Enterprises wasn't on the ball itself. The company screamed "Fishy", having a "main office on a tropical island just out of US tax restrictions", promises magical devices that play games from any console - AND portable, having the recommended selling price of their games so high and apparently not play tested or even effort put into them, and their final disappearance without trace. Active Enterprises talked about "Disney Quality Animation" and a "Servo Controlled Mascot Costume" developed by "One of Hollywood's biggest special effects companies".

However, this is not an Action 52 thread, or a Vince Perri/ Active Enterprises thread. You came here for the Cheetahmen. In the original action 52 for the NES, the Cheetahmen were proudly placed in game 52. All the build up was for them. And the result - A nonsensical plot, poorly thought out game mechanics, and recycled sprites from other games...

As the story goes, the action gamemaster (Which I believe was also the name of their magical portable gaming console that was suppose to play any game from any system) was sitting at home when he's sucked into his TV. There he meets the Cheetahmen who introduce themselves and say they will fight for him, and just run off leaving him alone in a strange land. Fight for what? For him to get home? What sucked him in? These questions are never answered. The action gamemaster is NEVER even referenced again. (The manual implies the Action Gamemaster transforms himself into each one of the Cheetahmen) The comic and the rest of the game(s) focus on the Cheetahmen fighting against their creator, who is a generic motivation-less evil scientist that likes making intelligent anthropomorphic things (Called Sub-Humans). For fun, I guess. They refused to do evil or something and rebel against him. That's about it. This is slightly more looked into in Cheetahmen 2 where the scientist (Dr. Morbis BTW) creates a "Man-Ape" to defeat him. However, defeating the "Man-Ape" has the horrible consequences of being stuck in limbo. The game was glitched and you couldn't get passed the Man-Ape. Dr. Morbis is assisted by a cyborg named Dr. Cygore, who just might be the easiest boss in gaming history. He just runs in a loop over and over again. Other important villains include White Rhino, who is also in the Genesis version of the game as a regular enemy. White Rhino kills you in 1 hit, but his only attack is running back and forth, never getting near one side of the screen. This man also appears as a generic enemy in the first game. Seriously. (http://powellcenter.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/saddam-hussein.jpg). There are a total of 3 Cheetahmen games. The NES version included in Action 52, the Genesis version (Hell if I know if it includes a story or not), and the unreleased (But playable, more or less) Cheetahmen 2. If your lucky, you can pick up a copy of Cheetahmen 2 for around $5,000 on ebay.

The Cheetahmen themselves are a 3 man team.

Hercules - The strongman of the group. Dumb as a rock. Consistently has the infinite jump cheat. So big, everything on the screen hits him, and can't take any more damage than any of the others. Hercules is the one that defeats the Ape-man and banished to eternal purgatory for it.
Aries - Strong, rash, impulsive. Aries is suppose to be wielding a pair of wooden clubs, but a common joke is to have him holding maracas. Apparently he knows martial arts (You'd think they ALL knew martial arts from their clothing...) from watching movies.
Apollo - The leader of the cheetahmen. Apollo wields a crossbow that shoots paper thin bolts that WOULD hit anything if enemies weren't less than half the cheetahmen's size and either on the ground or spontaneously appearing without time to react.
As you can see, they are all named after Greek things. A demigod, a god, and a constellation (Which was probably meant to be named after the god ares)

Known Fact: Cheetahmen have the MOST EPIC THEME SONG OF ALL TIME. It's become quite a fad to remix the tracks. Here's a playlist featuring what the creator (Not of the game, just some random joe) calls "The top 10 versions of the Cheetahmen Song" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM21zfxMqhc&feature=BFa&list=PLD36A677DDA685134 (One of them has been removed, so top 9 I guess)

#I'm gathering information as I speak, just want to get this up#

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Cheetahman, ore tte Cheetah Cheetahman Ore Ore!

I'd want them in solely for their theme music.

Flayl

Smash Hero
constellation not consultation

Nicely detailed thread, that AVGN episode is one of my faves too

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I gotta hand it to you, Psycho, this thread is actually really well made, and an enjoyable read. Can't wait to see what ideas you have for a moveset and/or stage(s). Also, the game sold for $199, not $100, and it's spelled "Cygore", not Crygore.

Vince Perri's high expectations, dreams for Cheetahmen to make it big in media, delusional mindset where he believes his idea is the greatest thing since anything. Hmm, reminds me of someone else's something. Who and what was it again? Ahhh, of course!

Christian Weston Chandler's Sonichu!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
lol you guys did just to troll me right? LOL

I really wanted to make a joke thread but was under the impression they are forbidden, so I talked about them in the given thread of those that have no chance.

Anyway, this is the MOST EPIC Cheetahman song version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unCqj-5hAZk

So... if they get in; would it be just Apollo, the three of them as separate characters or as a team? LOL

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is my personal favorite. Would fit right in Marvel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgUdrKAA8to

And the atrocities of Sonichu cannot be compared to anything. It's in a league of its own. I seriously wouldn't mind a proper revival of Cheetahmen, especially if they can flesh out the characters and their designs.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
And the atrocities of Sonichu cannot be compared to anything. It's in a league of its own.
In hindsight, you're right. Cheetahmen are as prestigious as Ocarina of Time compared to Sonichu.
I seriously wouldn't mind a proper revival of Cheetahmen, especially if they can flesh out the characters and their designs.
The question is if anyone is willing to do so, given the notoriety of Cheetahmen and Action 52.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The question is if anyone is willing to do so, given the notoriety of Cheetahmen and Action 52.
It just needs some love and an identity that doesn't look like it was following the TMNT bandwagon. If they could do something like that one episode of Batman Beyond with that gorilla, you could have yourself a really good work.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with having ambitions. It's about how they're manifested.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
lol you guys did just to troll me right? LOL

I really wanted to make a joke thread but was under the impression they are forbidden, so I talked about them in the given thread of those that have no chance.

Anyway, this is the MOST EPIC Cheetahman song version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unCqj-5hAZk

So... if they get in; would it be just Apollo, the three of them as separate characters or as a team? LOL
Well, the way I read the guidelines under joke characters, it specifically said to be as detailed as possible and not just suggest some random thing. If I put some effort into it, it turns from a joke thread to a seriously thought out thread that's more or less a little fun

I corrected all the mistakes I made up top. I actually knew of most of the mistakes but forgot to correct them because I was making dinner last night the same time I was writing this.

In hindsight, you're right. Cheetahmen are as prestigious as Ocarina of Time compared to Sonichu.

Notoriety can be a good thing to have. Remember, "Any media attention is good media attention". Kind of like what Duke Nuken Forever got in it's near vaporware position

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Notoriety can be a good thing to have. Remember, "Any media attention is good media attention". Kind of like what Duke Nuken Forever got in it's near vaporware position
While yes, notoriety can be good, in the case of The Cheetahmen, all notoriety has done for it is result in internet memes, music remixes, and video reviews that bash their game. It's yet to result in a [proper] reboot.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Battletoads dont need no stinkin crossbow!
But seriously thanks for making me aware of this moment of great Dissapoint for America as a whole.
But if there's one thing this game did right. That theme song.
Almost as good as Battletoad's theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrerdnjz_Jo
I Find it strange that one of the cheetah's had an english accent.
Contrary to Battletoads which spawned from the UK having no trace of english mannerisms whatsoever.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
While yes, notoriety can be good, in the case of The Cheetahmen, all notoriety has done for it is result in internet memes, music remixes, and video reviews that bash their game. It's yet to result in a [proper] reboot.
Can anyone actually do an independent reboot of Cheetahmen without any problems? I don't know how copyrights work for companies that have shut down.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
A reboot?
Like CheetahMen X BattleToads?
Fate of two worlds.

Im curious but with the crossbow guy could you not crouch and shoot?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I bet that Apollo would be the character of choice, with the ability to fire arrows and hover in the air by dancing.

Oh, and there would be a Cheetahmen stage that can only be accessed by booting up the game and hoping it randomly pops up due to a bug.

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
Haha, of coarse the last post on the thing is someone really obscure.

I assume they are third party as I'm totally not reading all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom