• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Winner is You! VWA/VWF Champion Fighter Hayabusa wants to Smash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
This is the thread to support Fighter Hayabusa from Nintendo's Pro-Wrestling.

What is Pro-Wrestling
Pro-Wrestling is a game for the NES that was released in 1986. It was based on the entertainment show pro-wrestling like WWF and WCW at the time. The goal of the game was to either 1. beat your opponent enough so that you can pin him, 2. Keep him out of the ring for more than 20 seconds, 3. Time runs out and you have greater health than him. It was the first game to incorporate an active referee.

Though it maybe generally unknown now in Nintendo Power Magazine it placed 172 out of 200 top Nintendo games of all time. During its time it was ranked the #1 NES game for some time.

It's "A WINNER IS YOU!" quote has become a popular meme for retro gamers. The quote has also been referenced in Pokemon games and Mario games.

The game even got its own collection of Action Figures

Who is Fighter Hayabusa?

Fighter is the main character of the game Pro-Wrestling. His nickname is "The Invicible Warrior" and has one of the most unique special moves in the game (the Back Brain Kick). He is based off of legendary Pro-Wrestler Antonio Inoki (the guy who faught Muhammad Ali in one of the earliest sanctioned MMA fights).

Why should he be in Smash 4?
1. A great WTF character
2. Retro Revival (similar to Pit)
3. Has a lot of moveset potential
4. Can be a unique grappling character (similar to Zangief in Street Fighter)

[collapse=Style]
Fighter is going to be a very flashy style fighter shown in pro-wrestling and anime. In the American version he will have a heavy Japanese accent and will speak in somewhat “Engrish” manner. In the Japanese version he will be more wrestler stereotype.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOY8CMIb_Q&list=HL1341790349&feature=mh_lolz

Introduction: A small set of robs appear in the background and Fighter flips over them into the stage.

Taunt 1: He points to himself and says, “A winner is me!” (Reference to what is said when you win a match)
Taunt 2: Points to the side and says, “Go Fight!” (Reference to the GO FIGHT! Logo on the ring)
Taunt 3: Faces the camera waving his arms, “Challenger Next Match”

Victory 1: Stands square to the camera and throws both arms up and yells in victory (reference to what he does when he wins a match)
Victory 2: Has a belt around his waist and he folds his arms. (Reference to when you win the V.W.A belt)
Victory 3: Has a belt around the waist and one in his arms which he lifts in the air. (Reference to when you beat Great Puma)

Lost: Is hunched over crying. (Reference to when you lose)
[/collapse]

[collapse=Standard Attacks]
Standing
Standard A: Overhand Punch
Standard A Combo: Throws two overhand punches and then a front thrust kick
Forward A: Knee lift he jumps forward and throwing his knee
Down A: He does a sweeping round kick on his side. Similar to what Inoki did to Ali.
Up A: Unknown
Running A: Clothesline (Runs to the side holding his arm out to tag opponents)
Forward Smash: Rolling Sobat
Down Smash: Pin Splash (Jumps up and belly flops down on the opponent)
Up Smash: Unknown

Aerials
Forward A: Flying Splash
Back A: Drop Kick
Up A: Unknown
Down A: Knee Drop

Grapple
Strike: He throws and overhand punch.

Forward Throw: Body Slam (You will grab your opponent, lift them off the ground, flip them around, and slam them back down on the mat on their back.)

Back Throw: Hammer Toss (Throws the opponent behind them horizontally)

Down Throw: Piledriver (When you execute a Piledriver, you will flip the opponent upside down and drop to the floor, dropping the opponent on their head in the process.)

Up Throw: Back Drop (You will slip behind your opponent, lift the opponent over your shoulders, and flip over backwards, dropping the opponent on the mat on their back.)

[/collapse]

[collapse=Special Moves]
Standard B (Back Brain Kick): Jumps up about head level and throws a round house to the person’s head.

Down B (Brain Buster): Reaches out to grab. Catches the opponent and wraps around there head. Lifts them up and falls backward dropping the opponent on their head.

Forward B (Manjigatame): Reaches out and catches them and pulls them in. He does the elaborate tie up that wrenches damage It can’t be broken if caught but has no knockback. Check 1:36 of the Inoki movie.

Up B (Flying Knee Drop): Leaps into the air and in an arch pattern lands with one knee.

Final Smash v1. (Super Back Brain Kick): Fighter grabs his opponent and goes into a cut scene. The background changes into a ring and Fighter throws his opponent unbelievably high into the air. As the person comes back down he jumps up and does his back brain kick as the person falling. The screen returns back to normal with the opponent flying to the side of where Fighter was facing.

Final Smash v2. (Back Brain Buster Kick): I like the alliteration. It would start the same way as v1 going into the cut scene. It would be combination of the Brain Buster and the Back Brain kick. The effects would be the same.

Another version would consist of his Forward B would be a grappling effect (similar to Bowser's) but he would have more variety of what he could do.
[/collapse]

I'll add more stuff on moveset ideas and what not.

[Collapse=Work Cited]
I know the work cited isn't properly structured but it gets my point across

Strategy Wiki (Pro Wrestling)

The Top Ten Moves of Antonio Inoki

Wikipediea

Hardcore Gaming 101

The Essentials of Cool
[/collapse]

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A simple little photoshop I made to support Fighter Hayabusa last year.

I'm all up for the idea, but I'm not sure how people would receive him. :S

Moveset explanation:

CONCUSSION KICK
-Opponent is immediately stamped on the floor when this aerial roundhouse kick connects. Concussion kick works like a Meteor Smash as well.

PIN DOWN
-A follow up to Concussion kick. Hayabusa will pin down one opponent, damaging him slowly over time until opponent breaks free. On opponent's higher percentages, it's harder to break free
(0 to 30% = up to 1 second.
31% to 60% = up to 2 seconds.
61% to 100% up to 4 seconds.
100% and above, up to 5 seconds)
(Kirby version does Concussion kick first followed by pin down)

BACK BRAIN KICK
(not sure why this is called a KICK when it looks like an elbow crush. But this is Hayabusa's trademark attack)
-Hayabusa drops down with his elbow to slam an opponent with his body weight, elbow first. This can bounce enemies up if they're grounded. Can cancel horizontal momentum in air when performed, to fall straight down (kirby/yoshi like).

CORNER JUMP
-Hayabusa will crouch down and perform a high jump, as if he were performing it from the corner pole of a wrestling ring.
On contact with an enemy, the enemy will be "air-grabbed" and slammed under Hayabusa's derriere when falling back to the ground.
It is also an effective suicidal move if performed in a place where there's no ground to land on.

Final Smash: BACKFLIP SPLASH.
-A backflip that delivers a deadly body slam with full force on opponent. Fighter Hayabusa leaps high in the air very quickly, and comes back down equally quickly. This attack KO's without fail on opponents around 25% damage.

Pro-Wrestling is very addictive too. I love the wacky cast of wrestlers for Hayabusa to face. Hope to see him in SSB4 somehow, this is one legit retro choice for Sakurai. I hope he turns to Genyo Takeda's creations this time, as none of them are properly represented in SSB so far. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hell Yes! This the closest thing to having Haggar/Zangeif in Smash. Wrestling is highly popular, making his game almost as memorable as Punch Out.

:phone:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
@ Shinhed-echi: That’s amazing work there I love it!

I’m thinking that his style of fighting would be very showy flashy like pro-wrestling meets anime (Like anime series Ultimate Muscle). His taunts would be based on lines with the classic “Engrish” quotes from the game in heavy Japanese accent.

1. He points to himself and says, “A winner is me!”
2. He points to the side and says, “Go Fight!”
3. He faces the camera and waving his hand for someone to come here saying. “Challenge next match!”

This will obviously be different in Japan but I’m thinking he would be somewhat like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOY8CMIb_Q&list=HL1341702305&feature=mh_lolz

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Some simple alternate colors for Hayabusa. :D

I should've looked into the other wrestlers more, in order to pick BETTER alt. color schemes that represent each wrestlers instead... But this'll do for now.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
My cousin and I were big into professional wrestling, and used to play this game as kids, although, to be honest, I barely remember Hayabusa at all. Star Man and The Amazon immediately come to mind for me, as well as constantly spamming Giant Panther's iron claw attack and referring to it as the "pie in the face" move. After looking over all the names, King Corn Karn immediately pops out, because, really, who could forget a name like that? And King Slender and Great Puma jog my memory as being huge pains in the ***.

So, not to rain on anyone's parade, but honestly, if this series were to get a rep., I'd be pulling for Star Man. Maybe Hayabusa was technically the main character (although I don't really see how a pro-wrestling game can even have one), but he kinda pales in comparison to the rest of the roster, to me.

D

Deleted member

I kind of have to agree.
Star Man seems much more interesting to me, just because it's a guy in a full pink bodysuit with a blue star where his face should be.

EDIT: Apparently, this game was a big deal to Nintendo Power.
They were doing a certain year of gaming, the year of Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, and Pro Wrestling (Mysterious Murasame Castle obviously wasn't included being Japan-Only).

So maybe the "Famicom Four" isn't the Famicon Four....maybe it should be the "Famicon Six"....Link, Samus, Pit, Takamaru, Little Mac, and Fighter Hayabusa.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Honestly I rather have Starman or the Amazon since they do stand out a lot better. Plus they have two special moves unlike Fighter who has only one. But Fighter is the main character. He's on the front of every cover, he's Japanese, and he has one of the most elaborate special moves ever.

Also Pro-wrestling was one of the best multiplayer fighting games for the NES. Compared to other NES fighting games like Urban Champion, Double Dragons, and Fighting Street (The original street fighter) the game was amazing.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Honestly I rather have Starman or the Amazon since they do stand out a lot better. Plus they have two special moves unlike Fighter who has only one. But Fighter is the main character. He's on the front of every cover, he's Japanese, and he has one of the most elaborate special moves ever.
Will this be the thread for Pro Wrestling? Because I would have to say too on Amazon and Starman, but indeed Hayabusa is the main character.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'll allow ideas about other Pro-Wrestling characters but the main focus is Hayabusa. He is the most likely wrestler to appear in Smash.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I loved this game to death back then, but I had a question

Wouldn't Hayabusa be considered as a 3rd Party? Just out of curiosity, as it went multi-plat.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Every post MasterRapier makes is an incredible suggestion for SSB4. A pro wrestler in smash would be the hypest. I have to disagree with the broken Engrish voice though in favor of a more stereotypically hilarious Macho Man/ Hulk Hogan impression.
Keep adding attacks to the moveset man. Throws should be easy to come up with and aerials can consist of the various moves wrestlers pull off when jumping off the corners.
Also a non-specific action figure costume would just complete him.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Every post MasterRapier makes is an incredible suggestion for SSB4. A pro wrestler in smash would be the hypest. I have to disagree with the broken Engrish voice though in favor of a more stereotypically hilarious Macho Man/ Hulk Hogan impression.
Keep adding attacks to the moveset man. Throws should be easy to come up with and aerials can consist of the various moves wrestlers pull off when jumping off the corners.
Also a non-specific action figure costume would just complete him.
If you're being sincere then I really thank you! I have most of the standard attacks done I just can't think of upward moves (e.g. Up A, Up Smash, Up Aerial). Also I would love to see non-specific action figure costume. He needs to be in Smash some how!

@MasterMushroom: I didn't know it went to Multi-platform. From what I've read it was owned by Nintendo. Is there a way to show where you've found this?

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
@MasterMushroom: I didn't know it went to Multi-platform. From what I've read it was owned by Nintendo. Is there a way to show where you've found this?
Well, it's something interesting I found out; or rather "re-discovered"

The main creator/designer of the series is a developer by the name of Masato Masuda. Masato Masuda thought up the game system and was the sole programmer. Apparently, whatever disagreement/problem/issue Masato had with nintendo led him to resign and find his own means of gaining independent success. He took the IP with him after leaving. At which time time, Masuda started working for TRY, which later became HUMAN Entertainment.

HUMAN Entertainment was a Japanese computer and video game developer and publisher. The company produced games for a number of platforms, including Dreamcast, Game Boy, Nintendo 64, TurboGrafx-16, PC (Windows), PlayStation, Saturn, Sega CD, Super NES, TurboGrafx-CD, and WonderSwan.

US copyright records list "Try Company, Ltd." as the author. The company is known for owning the popular Fire Pro Wrestling series of games, as well as the Super Formation Soccer sports game and Human Grand Prix racing video game. They are also known for developing the first music rhythm video game Dance Aerobics (1987), early survival horror games such as Laplace no Ma (1987) and the Clock Tower series, and the early open world adventure game Mizzurna Falls (1998).

The company folded in 1999. However, some titles already developed prior to the company's demise were released individually or as part of a collection years later. Former members went on to form different development teams including Nude Maker, Sandlot, Spike and notable member Goichi Suda formed his own company, Grasshopper Manufacture, with former members.

Spike is a Japanese video game developer and publisher. Most of the staff were part of Human Entertainment, joined the company including Masato. Human's Fire Pro Wrestling series is now owned by Spike.

The game itself has been released from the Turbo grafix to the PS2, to even the 360. Most of the games after the NES version have been released as japan only, and only one title (Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, which did star most if not all of the wrestlers from the NES original) came to the US but flopped. They continue to release the franchise in japan as it sells "enough copies" to pay the bills.

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (PS2) Featuring Fighter Hayabusa Vs Great Puma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXaqN6M15_0

Amazon Vs Starman; same game as the first link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHHZU1IcJjk&feature=relmfu

A Decade, all games of Fire Pro wrestling released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu23mmoXehg

Fire Pro Wrestling Avatars (Xbox 360) -
http://youtu.be/mIV2-z7EzBQ

http://www.serkantoto.com/2011/11/21/fire-pro-wrestling-mobage-social-game/
A social game app for Fire Pro wrestling

As you can see they've went downhill pretty hard over the years ever since the series seperated from Nintendo. The Xbox thing was such a flop they didn't even release it outside of japan.

http://www.spike-online.net/firepro/fphp_files/fire_pro_top/fire_pro_top.html

Here is their site, which is a bit outdated right now

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm surprised Pro-Wrestling got a PS2 update. :( That means it isn't Nintendo exclusive anymore? Bummer...

I'd however be more concerned at the fact that Hayabusa is (or was) a real-life Japanese wrestler.

EDIT: Wait a minute... that PS2 game has absolutely no reference to Pro-Wrestling from what I've seen.. There's a character customization option which is how they probably got the NES Pro Wrestling characters. :/

Gotta dig deeper, but for now, I'm out.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
This is rather interesting and honestly I don't know what to think. If Masuda did leave the Nintendo franchise like Rare did then there is little hope. But those characters MasterMushroom showed were developed through a character creator which doesn't count. Character creation is a great way to get around licensing as you can see the street fighter elements in Mortal Kombat Armaggedon.

Now I was scanning some wikipedia articles and it seems Masuda essentially took the characters and changed their name. Fighter Hayabusa is now Victory Musashi but I did see one with the Great Panther (the final boss) being in one of the games. So I don't know if Masuda has license on the characters or not.

So it could be like Rare where Masuda left and gives him virtually no hope. Another thing is that Nintendo still owns the game but can't make a revival because of Masuda which give him little hope. Another way is to bring Masuda back showing him that Nintendo is where he belongs and will bring a brand new franchise to Nintendo.

Does anyone know if Pro-Wrestling is featured in Smash Bros Timeline?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
What a twist!
BTW I was serious about the compliment. I tried editing it earlier to make it sound less sarcastic but the forum crashed so I just left it. I loved all your ideas in the stage builder thread and wherever else you made suggestions.
After seeing Little Mac in Brawl, I was sure we'd see some sorta rep from Pro Wrestling. I'll go search the timeline in Brawl.

EDIT: Yep Pro Wrestling is in there...and so is Popeye...why then can't they mention Banjo & Kazooie? Give rareware some cred!

Is the timeline used as a guide to determine which franchises are eligible for smash bros?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Thanks DakotaBonez! There has been times when people were being sarcastic with me and I mistook them for actual compliments not your fault.

I thought the timeline only showed Nintendo License games and it does shows games that Sakurai recognizes. Nothing it garanteed in Smash but it has been used for some arguments (especially star tropics).

The reason why Rare hasn't been given any cred is because Rare and Nintendo had a bit of a disagreement and Rare left Nintendo on unfriendly terms. I do not know the details but that's why you don't see any new Banjo Kazooie, Conker, or Battletoads games for Nintendo or rereleases for the virtual console.

I still Hayabusa and I still believe there is a chance but I do not know the situation well enough to determine what his chances are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom