• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the kid who can beat a demonic embodiment of greed to death with a stick, Brian!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
I first played Quest 64 when I COULDN'T READ and loved it ever since, and I believe he would make a great addition simply because of the wide variety of spells and abilities he can use. Not to mention it would be amazing to see Brian and Link go toe-to-toe in an epic battle to see who most influenced my childhood!

So, thanks to inspiration from HyperFalcon, I decided to make my own moveset for him! Although, I didn't have enough creativity to make his normal moves, but I had fun making this and I hope you like it!

An interesting idea I though of: When Brian is struck by an attack with considerable force, he might DROP HIS STAFF. If this happens, it will embed itself in the ground where Brian lost grip, and Brian must retrieve it. Only Brian can pick up his staff, so if anyone tries to pick up his staff they will be shocked, flinch, and receive a small amount of damage. While Brian is separated from his staff he will be forced to use his bare hands, augmented by magical dobbity-doo of course.
Another one: To prevent spamming, Brian would have a MP mechanic. It would either be indicated by his portrait, or his hair. If his quail hair ahoge thing droops, his MP is low. If it has completely vanished into the rest of his hair, he has none left, and must regain his MP by either attacking enemies with normals or by running around.

ALL OF HIS B ATTACKS CAN BE CHARGED

Up+B = Wind Bomb/ Water Pillar LVL.2/ Fire Pillar. Wind bomb does no damage, but pushes those hit back a fair distance. With Water Pillar, a Water Pillar erupts underneath Brian, which launches him and anyone else near him upward, if Brian is in the air it's more of an explosion. Fire Pillar is the same as Water Pillar, just launches enemies and Brian higher, is bigger and has fire.

Side-B = Wind Cutter LVL.2/ Large Cutter/ Rolling Rock. Wind Cutter LVL.2 is a medium-speed projectile that travels the farthest from the three, and is not very good if multiple enemies are in the direction which it was summoned. It also does a low amount of damage if only one hits, and can NOT acquire a target behind where they were originally cast. Large cutter is a quick, fair-damaging, close-ranged attack, with enough knock-back to knock enemies over, but not launch them very far unless they have a considerably high damage percentage. Rolling Rock a fairly slow projectile that travels farther than Large cutter, yet is not very good for air fights, as it plummets pretty dang fast.

Neutral B = Fireball LVL.2/ Homing Arrow LVL.2/ Wind Cutter LVL.3. Fireball hits hardest of the three, but has the shortest range. Homing arrow does the lowest damage, and causes no flinching, but has the longest range. Wind cutter is the middle ground between these factors. They all home in on a target also.

Down+B = I CAN'T DECIDE. IDEAS: It could be a random buff (i.e. spirit armor, power staff, wind walk, etc etc.) that acts similar to Wario's Down+B, meaning the longer you hold off on using it, the stronger the buff will be. It could be a counter-modified escape/exit/return, and by that I mean that if you hit Brian while he has this active, He'll teleport to a part of the stage. Another idea is to merge the two, so when Brian teleports he gets a random buff or the enemy gets a random debuff. OR it could be a debuffer in which he must counter an enemy's attack, and the longer he keeps from using this the more powerful the debuff... time for a chart of each debuff:
Weakness = increases the damage percentage received from all sources. The longer you go without using DOWN+B, the wider the area this is in.
Compression = decreases all damage done. If you don't use DOWN+B for long enough, it would also shrink them like a poison mushroom.
Slow enemy = decreases movement speed. Waiting does nothing.
Ice Wall = a field of bone-chilling mist puffs from where Brian was. Waiting does nothing.
Restriction = Freeze and enemy in place, only letting them do SOME actions. The longer you wait, the less they can do while restricted.
Silence = unable to use special moves. Waiting increase how long they are silenced.

FINAL SMASH = Some kind of "roulette". When Brian uses the Smash Ball, he randomly selects one of the elements and does one of the following...

FIRE = Extinction. It first selects one LUCKY WINNER, Brian then throws his staff in the air off-screen, the staff then plummets from the sky like a meteor to the not-so lucky winner, causing an explosion which will deal MASSIVE damage and send them FLYING! BUT, there is a downside to this one, BRIAN could be selected to be the "LUCKY WINNER", in which there will simply be an explosion and sent flying. If someone not Brian is selected, the staff will be stuck in the ground, and Brian will have to retrieve it.

EARTH = Avalanche OR Magic Barrier. (couldn't decide again) Avalanche is similar to PK Starstorm, but is centered around Brian. Magic Barrier simply negates all damage taken.

WIND = Ultimate Wind :awesome:. Everyone takes damage from piercing wind-shank things over a fairly short duration, but do not get launched at all from this alone.

WATER = GENERIC_HEAL. Heals a *****-ton.

Throws:
Up = Cyclone. Imagine the tornadoes from Hyrule castle in SSB64. They also suck Brian up, but does no damage to him and launches him at a set height, which is short.

Forward = Firebomb. Pushes them forward a little bit, and throws a fire bomb. The bomb will "push" them to the ground and explode for considerable damage and launchy-thingy-majiggy.

Back = Magma Ball. Stumbles them backward, and a single Magma Ball "rolls" from Brian, which then acts a lot like the Piplup Pokeball assist, but it causes a small explosion (which can also hurt Brian) and stops if it hits a wall at any time.

Down = Water Pillar LVL.1. Slams enemy down, steps away from the camera, pillar.

His stage could be "Mammon's World." The stage could simply be a large collection of earth and platforms - similar to Hyrule Temple - with a changing backdrop and general stage theme randomly (based on the final region of the game which it is named for), with Mammon floating very close to the stage. Mammon would use his spells to change the environment or attack the players. Mammon would have all of his spells from Quest 64 or Quest RPG, with the exception of his big green nova thing that I don't know the name for.

AAAAAND that's all that I can think of! Please leave any constructive criticism or suggestions!

Have a nice day!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Smash Bros. has a primary focus on retro characters, well Olimar is an exception. And Now N64 games are considered retro. It being at least 10 years since anything came out for it. And now characters like the Animal Crossers and Banjo & Kazooie are widely recognized all stars of the past. I am ashamed in myself for never having heard of Quest 64 until today. Can you post an image of the character and tell us more about the game? Is it a 3rd party game?
(Also his Down B should change his element)

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
Smash Bros. has a primary focus on retro characters, well Olimar is an exception. And Now N64 games are considered retro. It being at least 10 years since anything came out for it. And now characters like the Animal Crossers and Banjo & Kazooie are widely recognized all stars of the past. I am ashamed in myself for never having heard of Quest 64 until today. Can you post an image of the character and tell us more about the game? Is it a 3rd party game?
Certainly!

Official artwork for Brian:
http://n64media.ign.com/media/previews/image/shanjaque_640w.jpg
The game calls his style of magic "Spirit Taming", which makes him a Spirit Tamer. I believe Spirit Tamers may have gotten their name from their abilities to defeat ("tame") evil spirits that take the form of monsters by using the elemental spirits of nature.

Quest 64 was the very first RPG for the Nintendo 64, which was developed by Imagineer. I'm not going to go into a very in-depth review about it, but I will say that it was poorly received by the majority while many people - myself included - still liked/loved it.

Quest 64's gameplay was caught somewhere between action adventure and classic turn-based style. The player took turns positioning Brian in the field allowed, the positioning was important because it made your attacks hit more enemies at once, and also made it easier for you to avoid enemy attacks. After you positioned Brian how you liked, you pick your spell with the C buttons, each C button picks a different element in which the entire menu is based off of. Each spell did different things and some were better suited for different situations than other spells (earth being the most OP, with it's beginning spells being very good AoE, having a spell which nullifies all spell damage, and AVALANCHE, OH GOD AVALANCHE.) Everyone of your attributes leveled up individually, meaning that if you are someone who isn't very adept at dodging enemy attacks your agility will suffer for it, but your defense and health will be very high, making you a tanky Spirit Tamer. When you level up, you only get to pick what element you want to raise in power by one. The more powerful an element is the more damage offensive spells do, the more healing healing spells do, and attribute-raising spells will increase the attribute higher. You will also get more spells in that element, i.e. in fire you start with Fireball LVL.1, and will eventually get the spell EXTINCTION. You could also find stray spirits - which leveled up an element of your choosing - and items that healed you, buffed you, or debuffed/disabled enemies.

One of the game's low points was the complete lack of gear and money, and a party system. You couldn't buy anything at all, what you started with was what you got other than healing and support items you find throughout the world. Brian is the only playable character, although with the game's fighting system I can see why there was none, as it would be difficult to implement one.

The graphics were very bright, vibrant with color, and generally pleasing to the eye, although it had rather small polygon count. The spell effects looked great, Quest 64 also had a pretty good atmosphere for every environment, which was complimented very well with it's music.

The story, however, was it's lowest point. I'm going to try to stick with what the game said, rather than my day-dream/trying-to-fall-asleep-by-thinking version. The game takes place on the island of Cetland, "a land where magic spirits abound", you play as Brian, a promising young spirit tamer who lives in the town of Melrode, Cetland's most north-ward town, with his dad Bart. There are three kingdoms in Cetland, each with it's own towns and problems. There is Kennishire, where Brian lives, Carmagh, the richest of the kingdoms, and Highland, the most industrial kingdom that honors strength above all else. These three kingdoms waged war on each other over a very powerful book, known as the Eletale Book. Eventually the danger of the book was discovered, and the kingdoms signed a treaty, entrusting the guards and care of the book with the Monastery of Melrode. Cetland then was graced with a long period of peace and prosperity, thanks to the Spirit Tamers and the blessings of the Spirits. One day, however, the Eeltale Book as stolen by (????), and Brain's dad set off the find it. He was gone for a while (one-and-a-half weeks?), then suddenly all communications stopped for a full month. Brian, naturally, got worried, and set off to find his dad and - hopefully - the Eletale Book.

If this sparked a significant interest in Quest 64, then I encourage you to do some research on your own! Google and YouTube will tell you far more than I can.

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
I thought of that, but at first I thought it would be too close to Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer. Then I thought of this: what if it DID change his element, but it was more like a (god damn it why am I so obsessed with) buff? As in it would beef up his special moves if they are the same element, i.e., if he used fireball, and his element was at fire, the fireballs would be more powerful. It would also enhance his normal moves and alter his stats a little, like if he has wind selected he would move and attack faster, yet his normal moves wouldn't hit as hard, he'd be lighter and get launched farther, and special moves that are from the earth element are not nearly as effective, which raises the question: should elements that are weak against your current element be affected negatively, or should elements that you are strong against be affected...? I'll type a chart of what each element does:

FIRE: his normal moves would be faster, and be augmented by flames, making them hit harder, and his overall offense would be greater (possibly the highest.) But his overall defense would be lower, as well as him being slightly lighter.
If elements you are strong against or affected more, then moves using EARTH would be nerfed. If elements you are weak against are affected, then WATER would be nerfed, while FIRE would be augmented

EARTH: his normal moves would be slowed (the most), but they would hit harder and would cause the most flinch/knock-back. His defense would be augmented the most, but his offense would be nerfed. And his weight would be increases, making it hard o launch him.
If elements you're strong against are affected, then moves using WIND would be nerfed. If weak against, then FIRE would be nerfed, while EARTH would be augmented.

WATER: his normal moves would be augmented with ice, making them slow enemies with each attack (this can only happen once to each enemy for ~5 seconds, every ~7 seconds.) His run and walk speed would be faster, yet his attacks would be slowed.
If elements you are strong (YOU KNOW THE REST), then FIRE. If weak then WIND, while WATER would be augmented.

WIND: His run/walk and attack speed would be increased greatly, but his attack power would be lowered just enough to keep the same DPS. He would also be made a lot lighter, so he would be launched easier, as well as his defense being lowered.
STRONG AGAINST = WATER.
WEAK AGAINST = EARTH.
WIND augmented yadda yadda.

If you have a better idea for each element please tell us!

While I was typing this I thought "what if it changed his normal moves around a little to match each element, like if he is earth'd his standing A would be a one-hit smack with his staff? And changed his idle stance, too?"

Another thing: "would it be a temporary (HNNNG) buff, or be permanent until he switched or died? If it was permanent, what about at the start of the match? Would he be at a 'neutral' state, or would it randomly select an element for you?" State your ideas for this, too, if you would be so kind!

Also, this made me realize how water and earth are so neglected in the special moves department, I'll try to think of something to fix that, too.

Have a nice day!

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. Brian certainly could be interesting. I really like the mechanic of cycling through a list of similar but different spells on each use. Could be good for mind games though it could really screw you over if you forget which one you're on. I'm down with that. Obviously Brian isn't going to get in but I would love to see a similar mechanic with a different character.

I will say that I loved Quest 64 as a kid and it does have a soft spot in my heart but it really was a poor game in some ways (It did other things great though).

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If we got Brian, we'd need to get Glover also.

It's too bad the company that made Quest 64 is now a cellphone company.

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
ONE FAILED ATTEMPT AT SLEEP LATER

Okay, I thought of something closer to Pokémon Trainer or Zelda/Sheik, here's how it would go:

Down+B = Spiritual Alignment. After issuing the command keep holding B. Then, move the control stick to any of these four directions:
UP for FIRE
LEFT for EARTH
DOWN for WATER
RIGHT for WIND
... Then let go of B.

Stat changes that I debated in a previous message post will also be put in effect, barring augmenting specials of course. Each element would still have charge thingies.

FIRE Charging cycles between abilities.
UP+B =Hot Steam LVL.1/ Hot Steam LVL.2/ Fire Pillar. Hot Steam LVL.1 would make a puff of steam rise around Brian, causing no upward lift or outwards push, but damages enemies a little. LVL.2 causes a geyser of steam to burst from underneath Brian, lifting him upwards while pushing enemies back while damaging them. Fire Pillar Causes a eruption of lava to explode from underneath Brian, the effects of which have already been covered.

Neutral+B = Fire Ball LVL.1/ Fire Ball LVL.2/ Homing Arrow LVL.2. These have already been covered.

SIDE+B = Fire Ball LVL.1/ Fire Bomb/ Magma Ball. Fire bomb launches an arching ball of lava which - upon contact with and enemy, destructible item, or terrain - will explode, causing damage and knock-back similar to the Falcon Punch. Magma Ball has been covered, but it will "drop" a player after a certain amount of connected blows.

EARTH Charging simply enhance the special.
UP+B = Rock. On the ground without charging does nothing. Using it in the air without charging would cause a flat rock to form underneath Brian, making a temporary platform in which to jump off of. Charging it on the ground would cause a rock to slowly rise above Brian. The longer is charged, the more damage it will do, the higher it rises, and the larger it gets. After you let go or it has charge to it's max, it will fall, causing damage and knock-back. If charged on the air it would appear underneath Brian, rise a set height, and arc-fall, Brian would ride it until he jumped off or it hit terrain.

Neutral+B = Rock Shower. It is a "stored"-charged ability, like Samus' or DK's. Rock shower causes small stones to rain around Brian, he can still move and attack while this is active. The longer it is charged, the longer it lasts. While the rocks fall, the player can then tilt the control stick in any direction and fire the remaining rocks in that direction, functioning like Mewtwo's forward throw. While the rocks fall, other specials will be unavailable until the rocks are either fired or run out.

SIDE+B = Rolling Rock. Previously covered. Charging it makes it move faster. Rolls a fair distance.
ALTERNATIVE = "Staff Smash" Brian gets a hefty blow ready, gradually going from a horizontal swing to an overhead double-handed smash. The overhead smash bounces enemies off the ground into the air.

WATER Cycles/empowers.
UP+B = Water Pillar LVL.1-3. Previously covered, except on the ground Brian doesn't get launched upwards. Rather, it engulfs him. Explodes in the air.

Neutral+B = Ice Wall. A field of immense cold bursts around Brian, damaging enemies, it would also freeze high-damaged enemies. A lingering field of cold would be left behind, damaging enemies that stand in it. The more it's charged, the higher the damage and the larger the fields.
ALTERNATIVE = Escape. The previously mentioned counter-modified Escape returns! The more damaged Brian is, the farther he would be teleported away.

SIDE+B = Walking Water. Brian lunges in the direction commanded, in his wake water pillars would erupt. The longer it is charged, the larger and more damaging the pillars are, yet Brian doesn't move nearly as far with a fully charged Walking Water than with one that hasn't been charged at all.

WIND Empower and cycles.
UP+B = Wind Bomb/ Cyclone. Both covered. Cyclone has a little bit of control-ability.

Neutral+B = Wind cutter LVL.1/Wind Cutter LVL.2/Wind Cutter LVL.3. This ability is also a stored one. Also has been covered before.
ALTERNATIVE = Evade. Just like Escape, but doesn't teleport him away. Rather, he dashes behind the assailant

SIDE+B = Large Cutter. Covered before. Brian will lunge in behind it.

I also added a method for preventing a Brian player from spamming everyone to death in the first post.

Please leave your feedback, and have a nice day!

Pholadis

Smash Rookie
After much consideration, the THIRD hypothetical moveset is now the one which I fully endorse and support. I made this decision based on the grounds that the first moveset is impractical.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah he would make a great edition being a character who is like exclusively a magic user. id be all for it if there was a higher demand

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah he would make a great edition being a character who is like exclusively a magic user. id be all for it if there was a higher demand
Oddly enough, he's got a fan following. It seems possibly more than Digimon(which is ridiculous, since Digimon is actually viable).

I mean, fans even made stuff for him via the rumored name, Super Smash Bros. Universe, including some music.

I would love to see him in, but they need Imagineer's permission, presuming that they have the rights still. Nintendo is the only other one that might. THQ and Konami also notably published it.

And time for the biggest twist about this game; The animal voices were all down by Frank Welker, the voice of Megatron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom