• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Tournaments in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer

This thread serves as a platform for sharing and discussing anything about Project M, with the goal of eventually making the title a staple feature in our tournaments.

The latest demo (v. 2.1) can be found in Project M's Official Site:
http://projectm.dantarion.com/

Project M is a community-made mod of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay. It is adding increasingly rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play. Project M employs new codes which seamlessly add in new, universal features to the entire cast to add technical variety to all characters. Project M is playable on ANY NTSC Wii, without any hardware modification, and even without any longterm software modification. All that is needed to get started is an SD card and a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Project M is also compatible with any PAL Wii that runs the NTSC Brawl codes off an SD card.

Tournament Results:

ACL Melbourne
July 7-8, 2012
(37 entrants)
1. ZXV (Mario) | 2. Dekar (Marth) | 3. Redact (Falco)

Australian Project M Ruleset Discussion:

The following ruleset below can be used as a base to run future tournaments, until we begin to adopt our own rules.

• 4 stock, 8 minutes
  • Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
  • Items set to "off" and "none."
  • Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
  • Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick a stage he has won on during the set.
  • Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can't be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
  • For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
  • Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.
  • If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
  • If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
  • Buffer set to off.
  • Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
  • Custom music is allowed as long as it's not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
  • If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
  • In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO's discretion.
  • No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
  • No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn't hold up the next match.
  • Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1-1-2 fashion. After the 1st match, each player bans a stage group for the remainder of the set (Players may counterpick a stage from the group they banned, and both players may ban the same group). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Dreamland (64)
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Yoshi's Story (Melee) (singles only)
  • SSE: Jungle (doubles only)

Counterpicks:

Group 1:
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Dracula's Castle
  • Green Hill Zone (singles only)

Group 2:
  • Battlefield
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Pokemon Stadium 2

Group 3:
  • Yoshi's Story (Melee)
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Wario Ware
  • Fountain of Dreams

Group 4:
  • Dreamland (64)
  • Skyworld
  • Rumble Falls
  • SSE:Jungle (teams only)

Group 5:
  • Kongo Jungle (64)
  • Halberd
  • Brinstar
  • Metal Cavern (singles only)

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
After watching that vid you linked me Cao, it appears that I will be a Pit main.
I'm still iffy on the game itself but I like it enough to give it my time and effort.

Also keen on TO'ing with you if you are.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Yeah, I'm eager to host PM with you. One of the problems we'll have to contend with is the 'crowding' of multiple Smash titles in tournaments.

It is difficult enough to complete both Melee and Brawl under typical circumstances, so the challenge will be to find opportunities for people to compete in it.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
will strive to get my wii working with p:m before next tourney. game is fun and very promising

Splice

Smash Hero
If this costs $$$
Tournaments are about to get legitimately expensive :(

Gords

Smash Champion
CAO,
i have noticed that you mainly copied JCeaser stage list. couple of things that seem weird though is that it says "For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1-1-2 fashion". that is 9 stages get striked, however there is only 7 starters in his list, in other words it should stop at 1-2-2-1.

also in the last group i see you deleted hyrule temple. i am assuming this list was written up before patch 2.1 and therefore this would now be referring to Skyloft which i see no reason for it to not be included. also he mentions that it is for teams only which i think is unnecessary, and that it is adequate for singles play as well. (unless im wrong and he actually referring to hyrule 64, which i kinda see why that would be teams only although i would still see it ok for singles at the moment).
As such I would also include hyrule 64 as i cant see a reason why this wasnt included either. this was legal for 64 tourneys iirc. and now it no longer has random tornados

i like the group idea although i dont really see the connection between stages in the same list or why they were divided the way they were.

i would change a few things. below is my stage list and the reason for each group.

Starters.
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Dreamland 64
Yoshi Story Melee
Fountain of Dreams (singles only)
SSE Jungle (doubles only)

Group 1. large/open stages
Final Destination
Hyrule 64
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rumble Falls
SSE Jungle (doubles only)

Group 2. stages with moving platforms
Smashville
Draculas Castle
Green Hill Zone
Kongo Jungle 64
lylat

Group 3. small stages
Yoshi Story Melee
Yoshi Island Brawl
Wario ware
Metal Cavern (singles only)

Group 4. other stages with 3 platforms
Battlefield
Dreamland 64
skyworld
Fountain of Dreams (singles only)

Group 5. stages with transformations/extra hazards plus skyloft
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1
Halberd
Picto Chat
Skyloft

here we have for singles 3 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 5, for doubles you could join groups 3 & 4 to get 3 groups of 5 and 1 group of 6. both singles and doubles get 7 starters.

Splice

Smash Hero
1 and 2 refers to the player gords.
so 1-2-2-1-1-2 only strikes 7 stages because it means first player strikes one stage (1-)
then second players strikes two stages (2-2)
then the first player strikes two stages (1-1)
then the second player strikes one stage (2)

Otherwise it wouldn't even make any sense

Gords

Smash Champion
ok sweet makes sense, i didnt see that way at first and said it didnt make sense.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i knew i cancelled it on a random pick for a reason, haha. it's incredibly campy and the stage is designed so obstructively, people are too busy chasing/bouncing around to actually fight properly.

but actually, i just copypasta'd the above ruleset from an american tournament without making any changes.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Streetgeek Lan did a Project M 1v1 and FFA in May after DemoV2 was released.

1v1
1st: Apollo - Sheik
2nd: Btmns - Ike
3rd: Jamage - Cpt Falcon

The rest of the results were lost but I do remember getting either 1st or 2nd in the FFA with Cpt Falcon.

Splice

Smash Hero
ban Lucario I don't want to play against Marvel-vs-Capcom-Street-Fighter-Turbo-Super-X-Factor-Meter-Fighter in smash, what is going on

Nido

ily Sebby
No don't ban my precious Lucario :(
And isn't Lucas' PK Fire now PK Freeze going at the same direction and speed?

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
He's not even in the current version, is he? Or did I just not notice his face among the roster?

earla

Smash Lord
how cud u miss mk..

wow ..

his got that MARVEL thing like lucario and u can super power ur nado LEVEL 3 nado. 1 hit ko's. and mk takes off his mask and taunts like a bad ***

ban NOW

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
how cud u miss mk..

wow ..

his got that MARVEL thing like lucario and u can super power ur nado LEVEL 3 nado. 1 hit ko's. and mk takes off his mask and taunts like a bad ***

ban NOW
^ If Sakurai made Project M

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Was talking to RedHalberd in Florida who says he was on the "MK Project:M Balancing Team".

The general conclusion is:
They have no idea what to do with him.

I doubt he'll be coming anytime soon in any beta iterations.
How do you balance a character with 4 (for melee standard) amazing recovery moves with auto infinite combos. lololol.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Was talking to RedHalberd in Florida who says he was on the "MK Project:M Balancing Team".

The general conclusion is:
They have no idea what to do with him.

I doubt he'll be coming anytime soon in any beta iterations.
How do you balance a character with 4 (for melee standard) amazing recovery moves with auto infinite combos. lololol.
get someone who knows the game series and give him new (yet not as imba) attacks like they did with lucas. however animating those new moves might take an age
or change priority/speed/jumps. or take the character out :p

Splice

Smash Hero
Yes, give Metaknight the tornado that he uses in the games.

It's so much less powerful than the one in brawl
/sarcasm

Everything Metaknight does in the Kirby video game series or the anime is bat**** crazy powerful
If you want to do justice to his portrayal in games then you have to make him a lot more broken sorry

Gords

Smash Champion
give more lag on his aerials and smashes, get rid of the priority that that tornado has (like allow it to at least clash with other moves and stop it there), allow glide only from shuttle loop, and replace his forward B with a non recovery move, surely you could find something from the kirby series.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
well SORRY SPLICE I DONT PLAY THE GAME
mother 3 lyfe <3 need moar Psi Rockin and steak
ness' side b should not b psi fire but a mr saturn projectile
and they can make him worse by changing the trajectory of grabs, % moves deal, and what gords said

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Nerfing MK's recovery is easy.

Make tornado much slower moving with less priority.
Remove the jump at the end of side B, and shorten the length (but only slightly).
Make Up-B always hit straight up, and nerf the base knockback. Also, his glide should be at a shallower angle.
Remove the little jump at the end of down B which occurs if he doesn't use the attack.

Also, I like how this thread has turned into the "Everyone give your opinions on how to fix MK" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom