• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Knuckle Joe For Super Smash Bros. (Confirmed Assist Trophy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman

KNUCKLE JOE
Normally familarized as the Foe in the Kirby franchise & sometimes ally, means nothing to this Brawler, his short term appearance in Smash bros. Brawl shined a light on an almost forgotten character in the franchise & he should further his role in the next Smash Bros. Game as a newcomer, as Kirby's fourth rep.

"When talking about the guaranteed hard hitter of Kirby’s world, you've got to say something about his fists!" - Sakurai

WHY: Well, Smash Bros. is a fighting game, no matter how you look at it & even as an Assist Trophy, Joe showed his true fighter talents, some people don't think Kirby needs a fourth rep, but look at Mario, look at Link, Look at Pokemon, all have four or more representatives from their franchises, so why can't Kirby have one more? And with Sakurai being the head developer of the game, don't you believe he would include more representation with characters he has cadence for?
Many others would rather see Bandana Dee featured in the game instead, but understand two things: Waddle dee is unfortuantly doomed to be apart of Dedede's moveset as Toad was for Peach for the past 3 games, not to mention when considering characters for a fighter game, would you rather have an trained martial artists who knows Judo, Karate, & Muay Thai or a minion who until now has been weak, I understand the whole concept that now he has a Spear & whatnot & is playable, but Joe outclasses him in every way, even without a weapon.

His History: Knuckle Joe has made an appearance in nearly every Kirby game there is since 1996, he has been playable in only one game to my knowledge which is Kirby Super Star, which he is a helper or Player 2 for those who don't know. As well he has been an important character in the "Kirby Right Back At Ya" TV series. He was featured as an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros Brawl. (2008) and since then has been neither confirmed or disconfirmed for the next installment.

SMASH PLAY STYLE: Knuckle Joe, to put it simply is a Nimble Character with Strong attacks. The best character comparison I can make is Kirby & Little Mac. He is light just like them, making him easy to send flying but, his evasiveness makes it difficult for him to even be touched.

What Makes him so special: Well for one he was already included in Brawl, & many have argued individually that many of the Assist Trophies should be playable including Saki, Waluigi (sadface.jpeg), Shadow, Samurai Goroh, they all have threads, but to be frank, maybe entirely bias, but Knuckle Joe is most qualified to make it out of that Trophy, why because he doesn't just come out swing a sword as fast he can, or stomps you repeatedly, he has technique(s) at his disposal. Luckily and at the same time sadly, Sakurai for Smash 4 has granted some Assist Trophies to Newcomer status, i.e Little Mac

But sadly, some AT's won't make it, one of the first being Waluigi

WELL HE'S JUST A GENERIC ENEMY NO ONE CARES ABOUT - NAYSAYER 2014
Well Knuckle Joe may be an enemy from the Kirby franchise, but something about him, apparently caught Sakurai's eye, just enough to get him included in the last game, now whether or not that will be the case with the new games, I don't know, but I believe with Joe's importance to the Kirby franchise along with popularity, I believe he'll be able to notch a spot as a Newcomer.

"He’s... He’s strong. He’s been doing some extreme training, I think". - Sakurai

In his appearance in SMASH Bros. Brawl, three moves were applied to him

His Vulcan Jab, which could be his standard B Button move, Tapping it will charge his attack & upon release the opponent will be barraged by a fury of his fists

"A storm of Vulcan Jabs rain down, and then Knuckle Joe can finish his foes off with one of the following two special moves!" - Sakurai

Smash Punch, which should be his Side Smash (Side A button) move

And finally his Rising Break, which could be non-other than his Up B move striking hoovering or close by foes.

As for his other moves, most of them will either be inspired by Fighter Kirby since they really are parallel to each other or his moveset in Past Kirby games & Kirby: Return to Dreamland:

Logo Courtesy of Onyx Oblivian, go check his Logo thread out
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326025

A Button - Quick Jab
Up A Smash - Uppercut
Down A - Aerial Spin Kick
Side B - Force Blast/Energy Blast (Similar to Ryu's Hadouken)
Dash A - Low Sweep
Down B - Force/Energy Kick
Grab Up - Tosses into air, then leaps to grab foe & drives them into the ground, similar to Kirby's up grab
Grab Down - Grabs tosses to the ground, adds a fury of punches & launches a kick to the left or right
Grab Right/Left - Grabs, then releases, then Joe jumps a few inches into the air & comes down with a strong kick, similar to Capt. Falcons "Falcon Kick" while on the ground
Aerial Attack (Air A Dash move) - Spiral/Spin kick
Aerial Attack (Air Up Move) - Moon Somersault Kick
Spike Move (Air Down A Move) - Air Kick
Taunt 1 - Furiously shadow/air boxing
Taunt 2 - He looks directly at the screen & nods
Taunt 3 - Combo of attacks
Final Smash - Megaton-Punch
- Joe was the second opponent in the Megaton Punch Championship beating out Bandana Dee, and having a max. higher then him. The move will consist of three steps w/ part of the Final Smash being a cutscene. First, Joe stands at the center of the stage as the player rapidly presses the A /or B button filling up the power meter (the more the meter is filled, the more power is calculated). Next, the target rings lapse over each other and the time pendulum comes down as Joe punches into the stage entering the cutscene where the planet is cracked in half, dealing enormous damage to all opponents.

Color Swap:

Music:

When could he possibly be released?
Well since this time around Sakurai is paying special attention to video game release dates and anniversaries,
there is a possible out of May 2nd being Kirby's Triple Deluxe being released, just as King Dedede was revealed for the game's Japan release.

Or possibly April 15, as it is the 10th year anniversary of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror's release in Japan,
May 1 or/ 23rd since that's when Kirby Super Star is released on the Wii U Virtual Console
Or possibly since Knuckle Joe was revealed in Brawl on July 27, 2007 (7/27/2007), he could possibly be revealed July 27, 2014 (7 Years later, or 2 + 0 + 1 + 4 = 7)

Here's a rip of Knuckle Joe's moveset from Kirby Super Star if you want reference for some of the attacks.

SMASH 4 KNUCKLE JOE

FUN FACT: Knuckle Joe, Z Suit Samus, & Krystal from Star fox Adv. All voiced by the same person.

Discuss!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Normally I don't support enemies, but this guy is one I'd love to join the fray since he debuted in the best Kirby game (Kirby Super Star).

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The thing is...doesn't he have Bandanna Dee to compete with? Most think that if we DO get a Kirby rep, he's next in line due to playability in K:RtD, and the Spear. I mean, I doubt we'll get two considering Sakurai is very cautious about putting in his own characters. I mean...I just wouldn't expect Knuckle Joe. But, to each his own.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Well although he isn't playable (atleast I don't think) Knuckle Joe is also featured in return to Dreamland and Brawl, but as a enemy which waddle dee/bandana dee once was in a kirby games as well, but I do understand that when you have a character actually playable it makes them more possible and what not, waddle dee definitely is Joe's biggest compettition as the fourth rep for Kirby

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
What about the artist from kirby 64? I think he's a little higher on the priority queue as far as the kirby series goes, and could have really interesting specials.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Adeleine?

She would make for an interesting character, but Sakurai & Hal only put her in 1 game several years ago, when Joe & Dee have been in multiple games, I would sure if Hal didn't ditch this character like they did I loved Kirby 64

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeahh, that's the one. hasn't she cameo'd somewhere recently? I could just be imagining things, or reading too much Brawl in the Family, lol.

Yeah, I guess if they've ditched her, other characters stand a better chance.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd personally rather Bandana Dee be the 4th Kirby rep, but Knuckle Joe would be pretty cool. Fighter is probably my second or third(behind Yo-yo and/or Ninja fyi) favorite ability in the whole Kirby series.

Also: Victory, have you played Return to Dream Land? Fighter has a lot more moves in that game(including a true Hadoken move and a Hurricane kick-eqsue move) that could be part of a KJ moveset, and it seems like you mostly drew inspiration from KSS.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally rather Bandana Dee be the 4th Kirby rep, but Knuckle Joe would be pretty cool. Fighter is probably my second or third(behind Yo-yo and/or Ninja fyi) favorite ability in the whole Kirby series.

Also: Victory, have you played Return to Dream Land? Fighter has a lot more moves in that game(including a true Hadoken move and a Hurricane kick-eqsue move) that could be part of a KJ moveset, and it seems like you mostly drew inspiration from KSS.
Yeah I played Return to Dreamland, I came up with that moveset in the OP on the spot, so I was making up stuff as I went & left out alot of important stuff

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Vulcan jab should be his mash A imo. His spin kick should be his dash attack. Force Blast should be his neutral or down B. Up B should be Rising Break. Moon Somersault Kick could be his up air.

D

Deleted member

Knuckle Joe would be my preferred Kirby fourth rep if Kirby were to get one. However, he basically has no chance since Kirby is unlikely to get a newcomer in the first place and if it does, Bandanna Dee is getting in first.

D

Deleted member

Knuckle Joe would be my preferred Kirby fourth rep if Kirby were to get one. However, he basically has no chance since Kirby is unlikely to get a newcomer in the first place and if it does, Bandanna Dee is getting in first.
We actually don't know that for sure.

It COULD be Waddle Dee, or it could be Galacta Knight, or it could be Gooey, if Sakurai decides to throw the ones who wanted Gooey in Melee over Meta Knight a bone, though the chances of that are pretty low...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Alesia Glidewell, the the Voice of Kyrstal, ZSS AND Knuckle Joe!?! AND she was the character model for the woman from portal!?! And she speaks like 7 languages!?! This woman is amazing.

Sorry to go off topic, I totally believe Knuckle Joe has the highest chance of getting into the Kirby roster.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
But doesn't Knuckle Joe get a little more merit because of him being an assist trophy.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
And he was a great assist trophy. If he is prometed to a character I'm not complaining, thought I'd like more if there was this guy:

Some people want Yarn Kirby together Kirby, but why not him? He would have the same moveset and plus he has those cool though guy eyes.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
And he was a great assist trophy. If he is prometed to a character I'm not complaining, thought I'd like more if there was this guy:

Some people want Yarn Kirby together Kirby, but why not him? He would have the same moveset and plus he has those cool though guy eyes.
There's already a Prince Fluff thread here.

Seriously, do people not look past the first page of the forum when they look for character threads?

And I'd rather Bandana Dee or Knuckle Joe as a 4th Kirby Rep.

Edit: Is it just me, or does Prince Fluff look like he's in blackface in that picture?

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah It's either gonna be Bandana Dee or Knuckle Joe, I do think that he does derserve a little merit since he was an asist trophy, but you can argue the same thing with Waddle Dee, being apart of Dedede's moveset

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Dynamo68 Rises Again

Knuckle Joe would be a great playable fighter. i would honestly love if he looked like his anime appearance, but that's probably not gonna happen.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
One of his alternate colors can be his anime appearance! I would love to see Knuckle Joe and Bandana Dee in but we all know that it isn't going to happen

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I propose that all the moves in the picture in the OP be his specials along with his roundhouse kick.

B = Vulcan Jab(Like Kirby's except is a mash and has range btween the knuckle Joe of Brawl & Kirby's)
Bv = Smash Punch(a powerful ball of physical energy shoots foreward but has short range)
B^= Rising Break(a powerful upercut with great KO potential and vertical rise and medium horizontal)
B>= Roundhouse kick(spins while launching forward also if you tap the b button again while spinning you'll stop and release a energy wave)

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
What would his final smash be? DDD's army? DDD's is then Masked Dedede?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
He is a minion in the Kirby games. Most of the minions work for King Dedede. Plus, what else would his final smash be?

At least Bandana Dee has Megaton Punch!

D

Deleted member

....You are aware that Knuckle Joe is the 2nd opponent in the Megaton Punch minigame, right?

So he has that available to him as well; it's not exclusive to Waddle Dee, who has more options, such as Landia.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Okay, sorry. Forgot about that. Well, either way, one should have DDD's army and the other has Megathon Punch. King Dedede has masked DDD as his final smash similar to Wario man.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Seeing as the Kirby series made a Waddle Dee into it's own fourth character KJ's support has waned. Still he was a good Assist trophy and if there was room for a lot of Kirby reps he'd be a prime choice.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Whether it's Knuckle Joe or Bandana/Waddle Dee, I have a strong feeling that Kirby will have a 4th representation for the newest Smash Bros. Game and it's either going to be a toss up between the two. I can really say who has the advantage since Joe was a AT for Brawl and Bandana/Waddle Dee was a playable Player 2 for Return to Dreamland.
I still personally hope for Knuckle Joe since I can see a few AT's getting their own spots on the newest Roster like Waluigi..
*fingers crossed*

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I imagine something like mac but with longer range and weaker attacks... and thats because mac is just a reworked version of joe with shorther range and more powerfull attacks :laugh:

Cant believe there is people that consider him just a regular enemy though.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I support Knuckle Joe, simply because I love realistic fighters, and he could represent those in Smash!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
As much I as I love supporting characters with low chances, I'm going to have to pass on this one.
A lot of Kirby's A-moves are based on Fighter Kirby, which is the copy ability he gets when he absorbs Knuckle Joe, so we already have a bunch of KJ's moves in Smash.
Not to mention we already have a full boxer character, Little Mac. One boxer is hard enough to make unique, but making TWO different boxing characters be unique from each other and the rest of the roster would be quite a challenge, even for Sakurai.

I'm sorry, but considering the Kirby series has a HUGE cast of characters that would each bring something new to the table, I won't be supporting this one.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
As much I as I love supporting characters with low chances, I'm going to have to pass on this one.
A lot of Kirby's A-moves are based on Fighter Kirby, which is the copy ability he gets when he absorbs Knuckle Joe, so we already have a bunch of KJ's moves in Smash.
Not to mention we already have a full boxer character, Little Mac. One boxer is hard enough to make unique, but making TWO different boxing characters be unique from each other and the rest of the roster would be quite a challenge, even for Sakurai.

I'm sorry, but considering the Kirby series has a HUGE cast of characters that would each bring something new to the table, I won't be supporting this one.
Except mac doesnt launch energy from his hands (that alone is a huge difference) and joe doesnt have a KO attack or is even a boxer (he also use kicks).

Have you played Amazing Mirror? kirby smash has nothing to do with kirby fighter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom