• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

12th BEST: Counting is hard

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
11th BEST Extreme Smash in Troy

December 1

Important changes/notes:

Schedule: Melee and Brawl will be running concurrently maybe?

Prices: Singles are $10, and doubles are $10 per team.

Meta Knight banned: Meta Knight is banned in Brawl.

Side events: None announced but possible.

Where:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Student Union in Troy, NY at the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St. Go to Google Maps and search for "Rensselaer Union, Troy, NY."

From Boston: 3.25 hours.
From NYC: 3 hours.
From Rochester: 4 hours.
From Montreal: 4 hours.

The tournament room is on the second floor, in a large open central room called the McNeil room. There are four main pillars around the center of the room. This is visible from entrances on the second floor and directly behind the main entrance lobby (go up some stairs to enter the building rather than in a lower side door). This is the same room as that used for 5th and 8th BEST.

Venue pictures:

Google maps image. Most people will probably come from 7/Hoosick St.

Zoomed in plus parking. Green areas are definitely free, and parking meters do not charge on weekends.

This shows how the building appears from the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

We can provide housing overnight if necessary. Contact us beforehand or post here.

Prices:

No venue fee
$10 Melee singles
$10 Brawl singles
$10 Melee teams (per team)
$10 Brawl teams (per team)

Payouts:

Singles:
1st - 55%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%

Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Schedule: (subject to change)

Registration for each event will go until the time listed, and then seeding/pool-making starts. Singles will include pools.

9:00am - Venue opens
11:00am - Melee doubles
12:00pm - Brawl doubles
3:00pm - Melee singles
4:00pm - Brawl singles
12:30am - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch are banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players and the TO agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

1v1 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

1v1 Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Counterpicks:
None

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Meta Knight is banned.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Scrooging is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players and the TO agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Attendance:

T.O. contact info:
Zaandaa/tiger10x (op)
Name: Adam
AIM: Zaandaa (preferred method of contact)
Cell: 207-649-0605

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I'll be back in late August. Probably will have 9th BEST sometime before this in September/October, but this is at least posted now in case people want to make plans months in advance for a bigger tournament.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Awesome, really been itching for a tournament, almost went all the way down to Sudden Death for it but decided if I really wanted to travel 12 hours round trip I would fly some where.

silverliight

Smash Cadet
hey can anybody house me for this tournament i have to come a day before the tournament because im taking a bus there and i wont make in time if i take the bus the same day of the tourney. im really trying to come out to this. to contact me my facebook name is "Ryan Coker-Welch" thanks in advance and i appreciate it :)

No_Skillz

Smash Apprentice
not coming anymore. other things came up, oh well.
Noo i wanted to mm ur gannon with mario. i mean really pat, what could be more important than a super smash brothers tournament? u gotta start living in reality man

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Noo i wanted to mm ur gannon with mario. i mean really pat, what could be more important than a super smash brothers tournament? u gotta start living in reality man
i like the way you think. but you can be the one to tell my sister i wont be at her wedding :p

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
So this is next weekend. A couple things: Do we want Brawl and Melee at the same time or one after the other like normal? I want to know who is coming.

Zhea

Smash Ace
I moved out of town and am now figuring out whether I can go or not but I can bring a Project M/Melee setup for this.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I'd obviouly win so bad that everyone would cry for losing to what isn't my MK, so I'll spare you all my great wrath.

Love, Azeal~

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
We've had hype for months now. I'm going to keep the schedule the same, and it seems I'll see what the attendance is like on Saturday.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Very likely L-Don and I will be there, as long as something doesn't come up we weren't expecting.

PS: I'm probably gonna get like 9th or something but L-Don's getting top 3 cause he's a winner.

Top Bottom