• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shy Guy (Stage hazard and smash run enemy confirmation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh man, this doesn't exist yet? SWEET IT BE MINE

Shy Guy, and iconic character from the Mario series. From the new mario kart to the new mario party, he's slowly being included as a playable character everywhere. Some may write him off as a common enemy. Some may claim characters like Toad have a better chance in the Mario universe

I completely agree. BUT I'm making this thread because Shy Guy is awesome, not because he has stellar chances of being included. I understand he probably won't be a playable character, but, we've had stranger turns.

waaaay back in the old days, before smashbros.com had revealed PKMN trainer, I made a Charizard for Brawl thread. People called me crazy. People flamed it up and down. People, in the end, ate their words.

So here's to the hoping for the crazy! Shy Guy for brawl!

MOVESET

Ok, This is kinda on the spot, but here I go! I'll prolly edit this later, or put up movesets people post

For now, just his specials

B UP
PROPELLER
A propeller extrudes from the top of shy guy's head, like so

and shy guy gets a quick boost upwards. it only lasts a few seconds, but movement can be controlled while in the air. Enemies struck by the propeller blade take small amounts of damage, but are knocked back sideways quite a bit

B NEUTRAL
MASK THROW
This is an interesting move. This works around the concept that shy guy's mask regenerates. every once in a while, you can shed your mask, and use it as a projectile.
When you hit B, if it's been long enough since your last throw, you turn away from the camera and tug your mask off, slowly, now holding it as an item, as a new one takes it's place from the void that is your face.

then, you can throw it. It is heavy, and slow moving, but does good damage and knockback, and shatters on impact. Think soccer ball from brawl, but scaled down damage/knockback for a move instead.

idk, maybe a 20 sec cooldown? Idk how to balance the cooldown.

B SIDE
SKATE
This may be a liiitle farfetched, but hey, I'll grab specials from where I can. Anyone play Mario Kart double dash? Remember Sherbet Land? I do.

there, it's a real thing.

Think of egg roll, kinda, but it slows down between strides. When you hit someone, it's got fair knockback, but it also stuns you for a short second as well, because you get knocked off of your skates. it is only a little faster than running.

B DOWN
TIMID

ok, this one took some research.

look up mufti guy, from yoshi's island

this is the one

Anyways, think almost like a counter, but different
When you push B DOWN, a bit of a slow animation starts where shy guy reaches behind his head and pulls this bush out, holding it above his head. If this bush gets hit by an attack (one strike) it takes the attack for shy guy, and explodes into a bunch of petals, that obscure a small amount of screen (think smoke ball effect but petals)

If shy guy doesn't get attacked, he places the bush on the ground, where it stays until hit by a move, that it will block and explode, like previously explained. He can only have 2 out at a time. if there are two on the stage, you cannot use this move.
you can use this in the air, and the bush will fall to the ground from where you let go.

although this can block any attack, it can only block one attack. things like multi hits and explosions still get you. good for blocking that one charge shot, or falcon punch

FINAL SMASH
THE VOID

think captain falcon's final smash's exact hitbox and range, and how it slows down a bit and zooms in on falcon a bit when you use it.

The same thing happens to shy guy, except, he removes he mask, only facing one side of the screen (so you can't see). The player's who see it (in that falcon FS like range) stare in shock for a few seconds, while their damage rises very fast (think kirby cooking pot). then, they are completely stunned for another second, giving Shy Guy just enough time to do whatever he wants to them, while they recover from the shock.

Think, like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYr8TdWGwGM&feature=player_embedded

but more extreme
This probably won't garuntee a kill from 0%, but from like 20 or 30, maybe.

Also, here are some user posted movesets!

TheFirstPoppyBro posted this one -
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14905113&postcount=30

ryuu seika posted this one -
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14915868&postcount=53

And here's one from Gibdo Knight -
http://smashboards.com/threads/shy-guy-stage-hazard-confirmation.325258/page-3#post-16190186

That's all I have for now! Shy Guy for Sm4sh!

one last shyguy pic

RIDLEY

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Shy Guy makes it as a playable character, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make a playable appearance.

I do like the presentation and moveset ideas though. I imagine that for Mask Throw, it reveals that underneath his mask is another mask.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah, I was thinking something like that, like a tease as you start to pull it off, just to see another underneath

wow, context xD

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That final smash is MY type of creepy. Very very worthy of a laugh.

Sounds like a fun character to have.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
His moveset spans across so many games! I must admire such vast knowledge from a well rounded player.
Being that shyguys are most prominent in Yoshi's island, I consider him as a great 2nd rep for the Yoshi series! (Has Birdo Ever even Appeared in a Yoshi Game?)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Being that shyguys are most prominent in Yoshi's island, I consider him as a great 2nd rep for the Yoshi series! (Has Birdo Ever even Appeared in a Yoshi Game?)
Very good point: Shy Guys can be added as a Yoshi rep than a Mario rep. They can even use Yoshi's egg logo (though I think their mask would work better). As for Birdo, I don't believe she ever made an appearance in a Yoshi game.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
His moveset spans across so many games! I must admire such vast knowledge from a well rounded player.
Why thank you good sir. While I think he could count as a yoshi rep (seeing he is hardly prominent in mario games anymore, while he makes countless appearances in yoshi titles), It would be unforgivable to not have the mask be his symbol xD. It's too iconic to not do.

Im super disappointed to not see spear throwing as side B.
Hey, I mean, I'm open to options. I pretty much made the moveset up on the spot from my love of Shy guy. a spear throw could work as well.

I'm not going to post single alternative moves, but if someone wants to post an alternative moveset, or a more in-depth one, I'd be happy to edit the OP. I may at some point go more in depth as well. I was imagining a bit of a slower walking speed (stubby legs) but a surprisingly fast running speed (think charizard, maybe) because once he gets going the legs blur. however, I think once he gets running the stopping animation might take a bit longer than some characters.

I was thinking his up throw would be cool if he kind of put them on his head, and spun his propeller for a second, sending them sideways and up a bit, for some damage.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wow! I can't believe this thread got all the way down to the sixth page! I only found it because I was about ready to make a Shy Guy thread myself! You definitely have the best knowledge of the Yoshi series on this forum, I thought I did, yet I never learned the name of mufti Guy! To be part of the Yoshi series he would have to have the egg symbol, unless Yoshi also gets the Shy guy mask, which I think would be pretty cool actually.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I forgot to mention to samusrules93 that I really do love your side-B, double-dash is most definitely my favourite mario kart game to date. Honestly I think it's actually my favourite mario game in existence. And I really love the sherbet land course, in fact now I'm now going to go and play it in a minute now that I'm thinking about it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Wow! I can't believe this thread got all the way down to the sixth page! I only found it because I was about ready to make a Shy Guy thread myself! You definitely have the best knowledge of the Yoshi series on this forum, I thought I did, yet I never learned the name of mufti Guy! To be part of the Yoshi series he would have to have the egg symbol, unless Yoshi also gets the Shy guy mask, which I think would be pretty cool actually.
To be fair I learned most of this stuff through research while creating the moveset.

i love shy guys so at the very least they should be assist trophies
Another lover :D

I forgot to mention to samusrules93 that I really do love your side-B, double-dash is most definitely my favourite mario kart game to date. Honestly I think it's actually my favourite mario game in existence. And I really love the sherbet land course, in fact now I'm now going to go and play it in a minute now that I'm thinking about it.
Double dash was my first mario kart game. It has a special place in my heart. So glad that they remade sherbet land in kart wii. I just think shy guy is under rated. He has so many appearances in so many titles. you just gotta look.

Before the SSF2 team abandoned the expansion forums, this was made.
http://ssf2expansions.motionforum.net/t3853-yoshi-shy-guy-completed
I actually found that while creating the moveset, It helped inspire some of my moves.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Another lover :D
Make that 3 :D :D

Double dash was my first mario kart game. It has a special place in my heart. So glad that they remade sherbet land in kart wii. I just think shy guy is under rated. He has so many appearances in so many titles. you just gotta look. [/QUOTE]

Diuble dash was also mt first mario game (though I got the first on virtual console). Strangely enough though, I really like sherbert land on game-cube, but hate it on wii! I also think that shy guy is underrated, I forgot to ask though, can I use that move-set on shy guy's part of my yoshi series thread?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, if this was strictly a mario fighting game, I would want to see Shy guy the Mokujin of the game

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
excuse my ignorance, but mokujin?
Mokujin is a xharacter in Tekken. Mokujin is a "random fighter", a person that uses everybody else's fighting styles from match to match. I'm not sure if Mokujin (which is an animate group of wood, basically) was the first random fighter, but xe has become so popular that most people refer to a random fighter a"A mokujin-type".

So, TL;DR, Psycho is saying that he'd like to see Shy Guy as a character that fights with everybody else's movesets as opposed to having one of his own.

Oh, and if anybody wants to explain that better and/or in more detail, please do.

ShadowSmasher98

Smash Cadet
So, TL;DR, Psycho is saying that he'd like to see Shy Guy as a character that fights with everybody else's movesets as opposed to having one of his own.

Oh, and if anybody wants to explain that better and/or in more detail, please do.
Shy Guy using Falcon Punch would be awesome :awesome:

Anyways, Shy Guy has always been one of my fav. characters... i'd love to see him in SSB4, though Toad seems to beat him in popularity :c

:phone:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Mokujin is a xharacter in Tekken. Mokujin is a "random fighter", a person that uses everybody else's fighting styles from match to match. I'm not sure if Mokujin (which is an animate group of wood, basically) was the first random fighter, but xe has become so popular that most people refer to a random fighter a"A mokujin-type".

wow. while that sounds awesome, not sure how well it'd work in smash xD. we already have kirby. I'd rather a creepy moveset, but a copcat would be interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, the difference is Kirby keeps all his moves but B and chooses when to copy the opponent while Mokujin uses ALL the attacks of the fighter he is copying and has no control over what character he is copying. He switches randomly at the beggining of each round and stays the same for the whole round

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well, the difference is Kirby keeps all his moves but B and chooses when to copy the opponent while Mokujin uses ALL the attacks of the fighter he is copying and has no control over what character he is copying. He switches randomly at the beggining of each round and stays the same for the whole round
So you basically want shy guy's model on the random button?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, there is a difference between a random fighter and a random character.

While a random fighter gains the attack of the person he copies he doesn't always get their stats.

There could be a random fighter with a heavy persons abilities but different stats used with it.

Besides, my comment was referring to if it was mario fighter only. If I wanted a character for the random button in smash it would be Ditto

I don't know if Mokujin copies the stats perfectly, he might. But there have been fighting games where the random fighter doesn't

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Mokujin? Copycat? Ditto? I think someone should go bump my Ditto thread. :awesome:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
^ There would really be no point. Plus I'm lazy.

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
That final smash is awesome! Though, IDK if the Shy Guy would make it in.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Hey, glad to see this finally getting made! Okay, so I'd like to see Shy Guy as a Yoshi rep, because he's pretty much Yoshi's only option. And I like the moveset, but the one I had in mind was a little different.

Specials
Neutral B: Snifit-Shy Guy dons a Snifit mask, and charges a shot. The longer the charge, the farther it flies. Deals moderate damage and decent knockback.

Side B: Spear Guy-Shy Guy brandishes a spear, and bolts to one side with it. Deals moderate damage and good knockback as well.

Up B: Fly Guy-Shy Guy sticks the propeller in his head and flies up, either straight or at an angle, depending on the tilted direction. Deals no damage.

Down B: Mock Up-If you're wondering what this is, look up Mock Up on the Super Mario Wiki. A puff of smoke turns Shy Guy into a Mock Up balloon. If he is attacked, the balloon explodes, revealing an uninjured Shy Guy. Otherwise, the balloon simply deflates.

Final Smash: Shy Squad-Shy Guy makes a whistle sound similar to Olimar. Shy Guys stampede across the stage, as well as a few others, such as Pyro Guy and Stretch. Like Dedede's, but much more effective in more situations.

Physical
A: A small punch.
AA: Two small punches in a row.
AAA: Two small punches, then a frenzy of slaps, similar to Luigi's dash attack.
Dash: Shy Guy spins like a Groove Guy.
Side Tilt: Shy Guy shoots a slingshot like a Spy Guy.
Up Tilt: Shy Guy bounces up like a Stretch.
Down Tilt: Shy Guy spins while using a blowtorch(look up Blowtorch Guy).
Side Smash: Shy Guy shoots a Bullet Bill as a Boom Guy.
Up Smash: Shy Guy spins a mace and launches it upward.
Down Smash: Shy Guy smashes the ground as a Stilt Guy utop his stilts.

Pummel: Shy Guy smacks the opponent back and forth.

Throws
Side Throw: Shy Guy throws the opponent thanks to the speed of a Jetpack Guy.
Up Throw: Shy Guy becomes a Rocket Guy and launches the opponent with a rocket.
Down Throw: Shy Guy squashes the opponent a few times as a Pogo Guy.

That took a while, but it uses nearly every Shy Guy form as of yet. Any opinions?

jigglover

Smash Lord
I t doesn't use skater shy guy from MK:DD! Also, from personal experience, don't
(although it is very rightfully
say that Shy guy is a Yoshi rep instead of a mario, you'll get your head bitten off.
Also, what's wrong with Kamek and baby bros. for a yoshi rep? It's unanimous that they are Yoshi.
Overall a very good move-set, and I think it should be added to the OP as well.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I t doesn't use skater shy guy from MK:DD! Also, from personal experience, don't
(although it is very rightfully
say that Shy guy is a Yoshi rep instead of a mario, you'll get your head bitten off.
Also, what's wrong with Kamek and baby bros. for a yoshi rep? It's unanimous that they are Yoshi.
Overall a very good move-set, and I think it should be added to the OP as well.
Because Baby Mario and Baby Luigi ARE Mario and Luigi, and IMO, it doesn't really make sense for them to be in a different franchise. And Kamek... I can't even think of a moveset for him. :laugh:

And I've been saying Shy Guy should be a Yoshi rep instead of Mario since the days of the Super Smash Bros. WiiU thread, and I've been fine, so I shall continue. :awesome:

Nonnel

Smash Cadet
I mostly support Daisy but I adore shyguys and would love to see them in even if it's unlikely ^_^

a great alt would be general guy :D

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
How come I got my head bit off then!?
baby mario and baby peach are in the yoshi series in the trophies in brawl.
Yeah, but even then, all of their moves would come from Mario games anyway.

And I dunno. Maybe it's because there are A LOT more people here than the thread. Which gives us more people that don't agree. I guess.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

jigglover

Smash Lord
Leave that out :D. It looked good when I typed it, they both have multiple jumps, they both suck enemies in and spit them out, their up+B's both launch the character up and then down onto the stage again.
But anyway, that was unique, not semi-clone.
So, move-set? (I forgot about the chain chomp final smash being from MK:DD, but ground pound on Yoshi is Mario so it's OK to have one mario move).

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Leave that out :D. It looked good when I typed it, they both have multiple jumps, they both suck enemies in and spit them out, their up+B's both launch the character up and then down onto the stage again.
But anyway, that was unique, not semi-clone.
So, move-set? (I forgot about the chain chomp final smash being from MK:DD, but ground pound on Yoshi is Mario so it's OK to have one mario move).
Yoshi had Ground Pound first, since Yoshi's Island came before Mario 64.

3 of your 5 moves are Mario spin-off based. The Chain Chomp seems a tad too poweful, but maybe when it rampages, it hurts EVERYBODY, INCLUDING the Bros. Blue Shell explosion=4 Bowsers big? That's some wide range...

jigglover

Smash Lord
I nerfed the chain chomp on the baby bros thread, but I haven't got round to nerfing it on the yoshi series one.
I gave the spiny shell quite a bit of cool down to even it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom