• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rise and Fall of Hammer's Spawn: Dunsparce for SM4SH

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dunsparce, the Land Snake pokemon

Don't look at him, he's self conscious.

based on the Tsuchinoko of Japanese mythology (Cryptid to be more exact), Dunsparce remains one of the most truly bizarre pokemon. Land Snakes were known for lying, their love of alcohol, and swallowing their own tail so they could roll around like a hoop. Traits we all share and enjoy. However, Dunsparce doesn't seem to have inherited any of those. Other bizarre traits of the Tsuchinoko are it inching instead of slithering, and the fact it's body is thicker than it's head of tail...Dunsparce is more along those vague lines (Though it's head is still fatter than it's body) IN other media, the Tsuchinoko has appeared in Metal Gear solid (Linking him to snake, thus linking him to smash), Doraemon, and Castlevania.

Apparently this picture is of a Tsuchinoko IRL. It's kinda tiny though

Dunsparce was introduced in generation 2. At the time, pokemon's popularity was wild and generation 2 was at it's very peak. Introducing 2 new types (Steel and Dark), pokemon genders, pokemon breeding (Including babies), and some much needed balance changes. Dunsparce capitalized on none of those. However, it was also one of the strangest times of pokemon. The game has a much more orient feel to it, and introduced what a lot of use from the West felt as very bizarre pokemon. Unlike Generation 3 onward where we mocked their design as digimon or Ugioh rip offs.

Dunsparce is adorable

Dunsparce remains one of the few pokemon from the first couple generations never to get an evolution. Unlike some of the others, his stats are very poor. Especially his low speed. His only possibly use could be as a Haxxor pokemon in NU tier. Serene grace can double the chances of his moves having special effects, giving him the ability to paralyze his opponents than repeatedly flinch them to death. A use in game is he's one of the few pokemon that can breed with a Swinub in order to get it's offspring ancient pokemon; A requirement for it's final evolution -- It's only use in game is to be an elephants love toy. Wonderful pokemon.

It's pokedex entries give wonders into it's story as well. Apparently, the pokemon is known best for running away backwards, hiding and using it's tail for digging. Apparently it has the ability to levitate using it's wings but it's possible abilities disagree with that. Fascinating pokemon all around.

This is what Dunsparce would look like IRL

Here is it's possible moves, not counting TM's/ HM's.

Start Start Rage Normal Physical 20 100% 20
4 Start Defense Curl Normal Status — —% 40
16 4 Rollout Rock Physical 30 90% 20
20 7 Spite Ghost Status — 100% 10
24 10 Pursuit Dark Physical 40 100% 20
28 13 Screech Normal Status — 85% 40
8 16 Yawn Normal Status — —% 10
48 19 AncientPower Rock Special 60 100% 5
38 22 Take Down Normal Physical 90 85% 20
33 25 Roost Flying Status — —% 10
12 28 Glare Normal Status — 90% 30
53 31 Dig Ground Physical 80 100% 10
N/A 34 Double-Edge Normal Physical 120 100% 15
43 37 Coil Poison Status — —% 20
N/A 40 Endure Normal Status — —% 10
N/A 43 Drill Run Ground Physical 80 95% 10
58 46 Endeavor Normal Physical — 100% 5
63 49 Flail Normal Physical — 100% 15

C'mon Nintendo/ Gamefreak. This guy has been in the games since Generation 2 being the most lousy, useless, elephant fun toy, thing in the games. Is his existance just a laughing stock to you? WELL, Nintendo, Us gamers don't agree. http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-semifinals/ Currently Dunsparce is the top choice for Smash BY FAR. It's time Nintendo admits the love for this fellow is true. We want him in Smash, and it's up to you to show us you really care. THEN, perhaps you can finally give him the evolution he deserves!!!

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
He'd be unique to say the least and though im sure his newfound popularity likely stems from a certain "official" poll........What the hell sign me up he was one of the first pokemon i ever caught in the good old days of pokemon silver.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Dude. This Dunsparce thing needs to stop.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This actually took some time to write.

I researched on the Tsuninoko and anything I could find of Dunsparce getting 6 paragraphs on the subject. (One of the paragraphs was deleted on accident)...However, when I posted it, it was a lot smaller than I though. So I found some awesome pictures of him to fill it up.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Western fans disagree with you, and Sakurai's going to know

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I knew Psycho would start something like this.
I'm just surprised I actually learned a few new things in the process of humoring it.
This whole time I thought Dunsparce evolved into Shedinja.

Dunsparce - Hybrid of Them - Shedinja

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, look what has made it's way from Gamefaqs...
Does the gamefaqs thread have any more information about Dunsparce than I added? It's actually hard to find things on him

Wonder if they have a moveset

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
I defy you to make a legitimate moveset.

This is why we can't have nice things. Like polls to help decide who should be in the next game. I would bet money that this poll will end up going to Sakurai, and he will take one look at Dunsparce on it before discarding the whole thing as a joke. And perhaps actively decide not to use any of the other names on the poll.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
lolwut, maybe as a pokeball pokemon, but as an actual playable character? Look I love dunsparce to death, Pokemon Crystal, me & him had some good times, but as a fighter? nope.
/thread

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
lolwut, maybe as a pokeball pokemon, but as an actual playable character? Look I love dunsparce to death, Pokemon Crystal, me & him had some good times, but as a fighter? nope.
/thread
7918 internet users from US and Europe disagree

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
That's a very minimum number compared to the entire Smash community, from the states to Japan
lol internet users, bet money atleast 1/4 for an half of them are trolling

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would honestly prefer Dunsparce over any Gen 5 guy. He's so cute... Always wanted a shiny pink Dunsparce.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I defy you to make a legitimate moveset.

This is why we can't have nice things. Like polls to help decide who should be in the next game. I would bet money that this poll will end up going to Sakurai, and he will take one look at Dunsparce on it before discarding the whole thing as a joke. And perhaps actively decide not to use any of the other names on the poll.
This x1000. And people wonder why Sakurai doesn't do online polls in the west - no one is willing to take them seriously. Nobody better whine when Sakurai doesn't poll the west because of crap like this.

I wouldn't mind people jokingly suggesting Dunsparce. I don't even have a problem with this thread. But when people decide to ruin an otherwise good poll for a stupid joke...that's just too far.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This x1000. And people wonder why Sakurai doesn't do online polls in the west - no one is willing to take them seriously. Nobody better whine when Sakurai doesn't poll the west because of crap like this.

I wouldn't mind people jokingly suggesting Dunsparce. I don't even have a problem with this thread. But when people decide to ruin an otherwise good poll for a stupid joke...that's just too far.
Japanese polls suggest stupid stuff as well. Least Dunspare is a video game character.

I don't think he'll ever be playable, but this poll may make him a Pokeball summon. Be cool.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
7918 internet users from US and Europe disagree
Let me fill you in on a little secret. A large portion of the votes on that poll are coming from bots. People have already mentioned how characters like Shulk and Megaman (as well as Dunsparce) are jumping in votes and too quickly of a rate to be human doing. Plus it has long been speculated that the author of the poll has been manipulating the poll to push Shulk above all of the other characters, so I'm not sure why anyone takes this poll seriously. It's crap dipped in crap.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
And yet, Shulk is Not first, or close to first. If the creator was rigging it, it looks more like he wants Skull Kid or Ghirahim to win.

:phone:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And yet, Shulk is Not first, or close to first. If the creator was rigging it, it looks more like he wants Skull Kid or Ghirahim to win.

You don't need to be first as long as the top percentile moves on to the next round. My point is this poll has a lot of fishy voting going on, and typically if 4chan is involved (which they are), stuff like that usually ensues.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Well considering Skull Kid jumped up like 45000 votes over night, I think we can agree this is not just people voting.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

The poll was never good to begin with. It had horrible choices for characters, and lacked many requested ones.

Anyway, I do like Dunsparce, I just highly doubt his playability compared to Mewtwo, Zoroark, Genesect, Meloetta, Chandelure, Meowth, etc.

D

Deleted member

It could work.

No seriously, it could work.
But the true question is, why would you want it to.

Anyways, this shall be a joke that shall live on.

Bio-Blue

Smash Cadet
Dunsparce will never out do the uselessness of Magikarp.
How dare you even suggest that he is the most useless Pokemon ever.

(until his evolution.....then you got something to worry about.)
:awesome:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Fighting Polygons => Fighting Wireframes => Fighting Alloys => Fighting Dunsparces

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A few of the posts that I've seen were way off-topic. Keep in mind that this thread is supposed to be for Dunsparce discussions.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'd just like to bump this to rack in the hate and also to say what a good OP PI. It's of venus of the desert bloom standard! A shame it's of a crap character...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd just like to bump this to rack in the hate and also to say what a good OP PI. It's of venus of the desert bloom standard! A shame it's of a crap character...
What you mean by Venus' standards?

I was the one that set the standards for people to do by creating the first character thread

The Geno thread was the standard set for everyone else to follow or exceed

jigglover

Smash Lord
What you mean by Venus' standards?

I was the one that set the standards for people to do by creating the first character thread

The Geno thread was the standard set for everyone else to follow or exceed
Well, in my opinion, your Dunsparce OP and venus' AC OP are the best in this sub-forum (the only one I go on).

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I have a better idea of a second gem pokemon

Unknown! He can only do 1 attack that does little damage! :troll:

D

Deleted member

Dunsparce is beginning to rise.....

Dunsparce is a major member of the team, and is on the cover.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?! :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom