• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Here are a few things I'd want to see in the next SSB:

*Aerial Smashes - when you TAP a direction and press attack in the Air, you would pull an Aerial Smash, rather than a simple Aerial. Aerial Smashes would be more powerful, maybe provide some Super Armor too. This would provide depth to the air combat--certainly more than aerial in the correct direction and hope your move beats the opponent's.

*Character Mode - each player would be able to choose multiple characters for a given match, each with only 1 Stock. It would actually provide a decent point to being able to learn how to work with multiple characters.

*Power System - something similar to Kid Icarus Uprising's power system. More details here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324910
This could be used as a happy medium for the superarmor that heavies desperately need.

Let me know what you think. I think I may have had more ideas, but not sure what else beside non-full hopping needing to be less limited.

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Not so keen on the power system but I love the rest of it.

Aerial smashes could be really cool. Great for mind games if you pause in mid air while charging the aerial smash. As in your momentum just stops completely and then once you let go you go right back in with the full speed and momentum you had before you started charging the aerial smash.

Character mode should be an option in competitive tourneys if it's in. It'd make for interesting matches especially if there was a way to secretly select a character before the platform descends.

While cool on paper, Aerial Smash attacks (More specifically how you described their function in game) would break the game terribly. Basically the characters with the most jumps would win, all you would have to do is camp and smash attack in the air. Smash attacks are powerful because they have a stipulation; they can only be executed when grounded. Sure it would help some characters but it would break the foundation in the game and in the end only favor mobile characters who can jump a lot. What needs to happen with smash is each character needs to be redone to adapt to it's current engine. Some characters are just naturally better than others in smash, and unfortunately some are not, i'm for reworking characters personally. The other ideas aren't so bad, and it would be fun to have characters assigned per stock.

Just image if Ryu, Ken and Akuma were capable of doing a shoryuken in the air that you couldn't punish?

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
While cool on paper, Aerial Smash attacks (More specifically how you described their function in game) would break the game terribly. Basically the characters with the most jumps would win, all you would have to do is camp and smash attack in the air. Smash attacks are powerful because they have a stipulation; they can only be executed when grounded. Sure it would help some characters but it would break the foundation in the game and in the end only favor mobile characters who can jump a lot. What needs to happen with smash is each character needs to be redone to adapt to it's current engine. Some characters are just naturally better than others in smash, and unfortunately some are not, i'm for reworking characters personally. The other ideas aren't so bad, and it would be fun to have characters assigned per stock.

Just image if Ryu, Ken and Akuma were capable of doing a shoryuken in the air that you couldn't punish?
You realize that I brought up Super Armor for a reason, right? Super Armor inevitably favors stronger guys because they work better when their momentum can't be disrupted nearly as harshly.

Let's see who has more than 2 midair jumps and why they wouldn't break the concept:
*Pit - too little power
*Kirby - not enough reach
*Jigglypuff - not enough reach
*Meta Knight - has to deal with more tactics for how he's (meant to be at least) designed to punish bad endurance usage
*King Dedede - too slow

As for other candidates:
*Peach - not much attack power
*Wario - low melee reach
*ROB - not much attack power

Don't believe that attack power would be important? Well, aerial smashes in general would most likely be less powerful than regular smashes, but they'd still have reach. And for all we know, aerial smashes may have depth, like regular smashes do, as I ended up finding out doing my 15 Minute Melee videos:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0A239C6DED857003

Yeah, different characters' smashes have clearly different traits. Icies, for example, accumulate more power, Link does multi-hitting, Peach can manage options with the lack of forced startup lag (which gets her Stone Wall + Fragile Speedster status), and Bowser maneuvers his body in protective manners. It wouldn't surprise me if similar things would be the case with aerial smashes.

I'm not even sure how multi-jumping people would be able to do anything broken with aerial smashes.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
*Secret team-up tecniques:
When you put certain characters together in the same team you can archive some special tecniques not mentioned in the manual.
Formers sample: Mario can climb on Yoshi, the damagethem shared between them but is inferior, the player controlling Yoshi directs the movement while the player controlling Mario can use the control stick to better direct his attack and special attacks.
More unexpected sample: Sonic curl into a ball and Amy Rose/King Dedede/Ice Climbers use the hammer to hit him and enforce his spinning attack.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. I'd rather simply have the characters to switch between, and have enough faith that the characters are balanced on their own, so that say Mario fans would be able to work with picking just Mario characters.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
*Character Mode - each player would be able to choose multiple characters for a given match, each with only 1 Stock. It would actually provide a decent point to being able to learn how to work with multiple characters.
If I may, I'd like to expand on this by allowing different stock amounts per player. If I am extremely skilled playing against someone who isn't, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to have a match thats like 3 lives to 5. Also, character effects for single players. In other words I should be able to have metal, mega, mini, invisible, ect. on one player to give myself an edge. I can easily best a lv. 9 computer but making them metal when I am not would make that a different story.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Multiple stocks per character? Okay, but it shouldn't be different per character.

Free status on a given player? Good idea too.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if the options are imbalanced.

If not and you try to play defense, I'll just take the center and potshot you from there. Your only hope at that point would be me blundering, because if that doesn't happen, you'd have NO way to exploit my momentum advantage. Want to stop that from happening? Just freaking attack in the first place.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
idk, there are times where I want a set amount of lives on each character. There should be no reason why I can't have three and a team of enemies have 1-2 each.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
OK! This was inspired me by Seth of Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure and by Anakaris of Darkstalkers.
What about the characters being turned into their younger counterpart?
Mario -> Baby Mario, Peach -> Baby Peach, Link -> Young Link, Zelda -> Young Zelda. Pikachu -> Pichu, Lucario ->Riolu etc...?
Do you see it working better as a move in the combats or as a part of the plot in the story mode?

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
It had occured to me that aerial smashes would make being floaty into a useful strength. Why? Because with a floaty character (SAMUS), they'd be easier to pull off without precision problems. Meanwhile, fast-fallers (Fox, for example) would have to expend effort to hit with them and there's a good chance they'd get only moderate reward for managing to hit with them.

Understand, though, that aerial smashes ideally wouldn't be superior to ground smashes. Or King Dedede's Down B (assume that wouldn't be underpowered on its own merits). They'd simply provide some better depth for air combat.

Robin already has aerial Smashes. It would be cool to see the rest of the roster get this.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Welcome to the Smash 4 section. Where we discuss the current/latest iterations of Smash.

Speculation for future (unannounced) Smash games does not fall under that.

If you see an incredibly old/outdated pre-speculation topic, please have some common sense and don't bump it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom