• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Well I keep seeing all this support for the inclusion of more female characters. Why? Characters should be based off their impact on a franchise or just Nintendo in general. People are making requests that shouldn't ever happen. Requests for Daisy? Why? Peach is super iconic because of the mario series so her getting in is inevitable but her moveset is stupid. Seriously, Toad? A fryingpan? That stupid butt dash thing? Its the most ridiculous moveset they could have made. And Daisy would be even worse, not to mention she is a side character who has hardly any relevance. People want Dixie Kong, ok so she was in some of the DKC games, what about K.Rool? the main villain of the series would be much more deserving of a third DKC rep then her. Not to mention DKC isn't a big franchise so adding more reps is going to be tougher. While on the topic of smaller franchises, Krystal. She made 3 appearances in the star fox series which already is a small series. The fact that Star Fox had 3 reps in Brawl absolutely blew my mind. If they get a 4th that would be awful considering how the Zelda franchise, which is much bigger, only has 3. I am not against female inclusion, but they should be characters that are iconic to the series and make a lasting mark on the players. When you say Mario, people think of the brothers fighting Bowser with Peach over his shoulder. Mention DK you probably get a thought of DK and Diddy going around together. Better female inclusions would be Lyn or a different fire emblem female, Mia from golden sun, or Medusa from KI. Discuss why certain female characters should or shouldn't be in the game. Or other good contenders that I skipped over.

Also reasoning for Medussa over Palutena. Well KI only has a few games, I feel it would be better to have a main antagonist to counter Pit rather then another protagonist.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Nice rant, I completely agree with u.

Being a girl myself, it does sadden me that there aren't many female characters in smash. However, interesting female Nintendo characters are very limited. Male characters completely overwhelm females in Nintendo. Most females are non-playable or just offer support for the male protagonists; some are lucky enough to be more than just a damsel in distress or eye candy. There are less than 10 female characters in Nintendo's history that are considered main protagonists.

I support Dixie however King K. Rool should get in first. I don't care which female from Kid Icarus gets in; I like them both. I really hope we won't see Magnus.

Nintendo's sexist. :troll:

:phone:

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
I think smash could use a few more female characters but like you said they would have to be the more iconic characters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here's a complete list of possible competitiors for being female Smash reps:

Mona, Palutena, Medusa, Daisy, Krystal, Birdo?, Viridi, Captain Syrup, Ashley, Bubbles, Fiora, Kanaan (Calista), Sami, Freia, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Ayumi Tachibana, various Pokemon Trainers, Dixie Kong, Dark Samus?, Adeliene, that new Captain from Pikmin 3, Paula, Kumatora, Lyn, Micaiah, Eirika, Mokka, Lip, Starly, Midna, & Ashley Robbins.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
While on the topic of smaller franchises, Krystal. She made 3 appearances in the star fox series which already is a small series. The fact that Star Fox had 3 reps in Brawl absolutely blew my mind. If they get a 4th that would be awful considering how the Zelda franchise, which is much bigger, only has 3.
Zelda has 5. Toon Link and Sheik count as different characters.

However, I agree that Star Fox having four reps is absurd.

Here's a complete list of possible competitiors for being female Smash reps:

Mona, Palutena, Medusa, Daisy, Krystal, Birdo?, Viridi, Captain Syrup, Ashley, Bubbles, Fiora, Kanaan (Calista), Sami, Freia, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Ayumi Tachibana, various Pokemon Trainers, Dixie Kong, Dark Samus?, Adeliene, that new Captain from Pikmin 3, Paula, Kumatora, Lyn, Micaiah, Eirika, Mokka, Lip, Starly, Midna, & Ashley Robbins.
Scans indicate that Dark Samus is a female, since she is referred to by feminine pronouns. While the Space Pirates may just refer to her as female because she looks like Samus, the combat scans of her also use "her" and "she".

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Some female reps who have a history with smash bros or nintendo.

Lip from the PuzzleLeague series (Used The Lip's Stick item that appears in smash bros.)
Jill (The assist trophy girl who has a badass mech suit with drills for hands)
Barbara ( The cool chick who rocks the guitar as an assist trophy)
Pocky from the Pocky & Rocky series ( A child shinto priestess)
Ms. Pacman ( If you don't know then I don't know what to say)

And I always thought a Ms. Game & Watch would be hilarious.

:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I don't really care about gender I just care about if the character is interesting or not. And it seems like there aren't as many iconic girl characters so we don't see many.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
I think it all depends on whether you think the Metroid Prime could have been called a queen. Dark Samus only has a female shape because it's inhabiting the Phazon Suit.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Zelda has 5. Toon Link and Sheik count as different characters.

However, I agree that Star Fox having four reps is absurd.

Scans indicate that Dark Samus is a female, since she is referred to by feminine pronouns. While the Space Pirates may just refer to her as female because she looks like Samus, the combat scans of her also use "her" and "she".
I always forget toon link :c
But yeah as stated there are some really good female characters that deserve to be reps. I just hope we get the good ones and not Daisy. You know I'm not even 100% against Krystal, and if Dixie makes it thats ok too, but no Daisy... I think someone mentioned captain syrup before, what Nintendo really needs though is to get stronger female leads, Samus is great but 1 isn't enough. Also I don't know if Dark Samus counts as a female character.

D

Deleted member

I agree that females should not get in just because of their gender, because it by no means makes them worthy candidates. However, there are some females there that do have a legitimate shot for other reasons. The ones that have a good shot of making it are Palutena, Dixie Kong and Krystal, thought Lip, Medusa, and Dark Samus have an outside shot as well.

...too tired to explain now, will do so tomorrow after I get some sleep if people want me to.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being a female doesn't exactly improve a certain character's odds of being playable. Regardless of this fact though, I'd actually appreciate it if Rosalina is one of the new female inclusions.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only female characters I want are Palutena, Medusa, and Dixie Kong. Their gender has absolutely nothing to do with why I want them in Smash. I want them because they are interesting and they are iconic characters who are actually important to their respective game series. The fact Donkey Kong and Kid Icarus are A-list Nintendo franchises help a lot.

It's too bad most of the female characters in the other game franchises are:

1) minor/unimportant (Daisy, Captain Syrup, etc.)
2) flavor of the month (female characters from Fire Emblem, bunch of new female characters from Kid Icarus: Uprising, etc.)
3) obscure (Lip, Jill from Drill Dozer - the fact I have to add "from Drill Dozer" shows how obscure the name "Jill" is in Nintendo history)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only female character that has a guaranteed chance is Palutena, who ironically avoids the "because she's a girl" argument most of the time due to Kid Icarus: Uprising expanding on her character. Every other female character leads to mixed results, ether outright hatred or simple indifference. At least from what I've seen anyway.

Also keep in mind that some characters have ambiguous gender and may avoid the female argument like Zoroark or Dark Samus.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the "She should be playable because she has bewbs" reasoning either.

The only characters I would like to see in smash that just happen to be female are Palutena (or Medusa), Lip and Toon Zelda & Tetra. And I like them because I find them very interesting and enjoyable characters, not because they don't have the man-thing between their legs. ^_^

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Gender shouldn't matter. It hasn't mattered so far (Most of the Smash characters are male because that's how most important characters in Nintendo video games are), and it shouldn't matter when the point of Smash is to bring together the most famous Nintendo characters.

The only female characters I want are Palutena, Medusa, and Dixie Kong. Their gender has absolutely nothing to do with why I want them in Smash. I want them because they are interesting and they are iconic characters who are actually important to their respective game series. The fact Donkey Kong and Kid Icarus are A-list Nintendo franchises help a lot.

It's too bad most of the female characters in the other game franchises are:

1) minor/unimportant (Daisy, Captain Syrup, etc.)
Hasn't Captain Syrup been the main villain of two games and a major player in another?

You could call her obscure (since most of her appearances are older), but she's hardly "unimportant" in the context of the series. Her main problem is the question of whether Wario will even get a second character, and which series will be represented, Warioware or Wario Land.

And how on Earth is Kid Icarus an A-list Nintendo franchise?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'll chime in and say that I recognize being a female shouldn't be a reason to get in, but it is still nice to receive. I'd like to get a few this time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And how on Earth is Kid Icarus an A-list Nintendo franchise?
Because Nintendo treats it as such. Have you seen Nintendo treat Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor with so much attention, promotions, and advertisement like they did for Kid Icarus: Uprising and Punch-Out!!?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
To avoid hate you should probably change the title to Female reps you Want in SSB4 or something like that.

I think Jill from the Drill Dozer series would be badass.

I had played the demo of her game a long time ago and I was instantly impressed. I really hope they revisit this series. I wonder if it's on the Wii Shop channel.

EDIT: Oh and yeah holy crap she's an assist trophy in Smash Bros Brawl I totally forgot XD

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't really care about gender I just care about if the character is interesting or not. And it seems like there aren't as many iconic girl characters so we don't see many.
I agree. Ironically, I find a female character (Samus) to be the Nintendo character with easily the most character depth.

Still, Dixie Kong is a quite likely candidate, while Krystal, Lip, Paletuna, etc. have decent odds at being playable.

Also, I think Nintendo should probably give a few of their new IPs lead (or co-lead) female characters. Because quite frankly, games could always use diversity in characters, and characters of a different sex (maybe no defined sex? That would probably attract random hyped), race, ethnicity, or country of origin than normal that isn't just that for the sake of being different should be welcomed in gaming.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Females are also needed for diversity/equality reasons, just like characters of different playstyles, weapons, franchises, and nationalities.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The problem is there are few "lead character," "main character," or "helper character" female Nintendo characters that matter.

We already have Peach and Samus. Those are the only 2 "well-known" Nintendo female characters.

However, as I previously mentioned, there are quite a few B, C, and D-popularity female Nintendo characters that would be great smash bros playable characters.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
And i think you contradicate yourself a little at the end,following what you said,the "Villain" logic is the same as the "Female" logic.
Smash doesn't have many villains, Gannondorf, DeDeDe, and Bowser. However the list of notable villains from Nintendo franchises is a mile long. You can't say that about it's female cast. I personally would rather see K.rool then Dixie for the fact that I would much prefer DK and diddy to duke it out against K.rool over anyone else, also I see no need for there to be 3 protagonist reps with no antagonist.

Females are also needed for diversity/equality reasons, just like characters of different playstyles, weapons, franchises, and nationalities.
Different nationalities? What nationalities are represented? There isn't a single non white person in the game. Playstyles? So the gender of the character is as important as making all the characters different characters? Why not have Dixie be a 1:1 clone of Diddy and Krystal a 1:1 of fox along with Daisy as a 1:1 of peach? That would probably anger everyone but its ok because its another female? No. Franchises? You're telling me that its just as important to make sure Daisy and Krystal get in over the Golden Sun franchise or another fire emblem rep? No Xenoblade, just some girls with crappy made up movesets? Females aren't needed.... hence the name Super Smash Brothers. Remember, the game is going to have hardly anyone new, lets not request these few 5-6 spots to be taken by clones or characters with BS movesets like Peach.

D

Deleted member

Non-white?

I wasn't aware that Italians were white.

And even if the likes of Link and Zelda, who are a fictional race, look white, how does GANONDORF look white at all? He's of a desert tribe, so he'd be Middle Eastern on technicality of realism.
Hell, most of the "white" characters are of fictional races. But even then, how do you tell the "whites" from the "Asians", since they're fictional races?

Seriously, watch what you say before you spout crap like that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The villain logic is that the villain's are actually more important in the franchise and would add more to the Smash franchise, especially in story mode.

Simply being female doesn't advance the story of the game or add any importance to the franchise other than sexuality or tokenism. Women like Samus are characters, rather than tokenism (Though I guess you could argue sex symbols, though in the first 2 games she wasn't)

D

Deleted member

The villain logic is that the villain's are actually more important in the franchise and would add more to the Smash franchise, especially in story mode.

Simply being female doesn't advance the story of the game or add any importance to the franchise other than sexuality or tokenism. Women like Samus are characters, rather than tokenism (Though I guess you could argue sex symbols, though in the first 2 games she wasn't)
Bikini Samus.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Non-white?

I wasn't aware that Italians were white.

And even if the likes of Link and Zelda, who are a fictional race, look white, how does GANONDORF look white at all? He's of a desert tribe, so he'd be Middle Eastern on technicality of realism.
Hell, most of the "white" characters are of fictional races. But even then, how do you tell the "whites" from the "Asians", since they're fictional races?

Seriously, watch what you say before you spout crap like that.
I didn't mean to offend you, sorry. But race isn't a big deal to me. Gannon yeah comes from a desert tribe so middle eastern sounds about right. Still, there are no black people in smash, and I don't know where you draw the line from white and not white. I don't think being Itallian makes you any more white then anything else as that is just your country of birth... No I don't think there are a ton of nationalities demonstrated in Nintendo. Lets keep this on topic though, race is not the subject here. And even if there was a bunch of different nationalities that Nintendo used I don't think it would be important to make sure they got a rep because of where they live or the color of their skin.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
About what what I said earlier, I meant in all crossover fighters in general (not just Smash). And of course relavance, popularity, and uniqueness plays an important role in the whole female issue as well. The ones mentioned by SSBF and a few others are only ones who have a high chance for that reason. Several fans nowadays need a better and logical reason on why that character needs to be a playable rep other than being female". Besides, most of the population gamewise and in reality are male anyway.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
About what what I said earlier, I meant in all crossover fighters in general (not just Smash). And of course relavance, popularity, and uniqueness plays an important role in the whole female issue as well. The ones mentioned by SSBF and a few others are only ones who have a high chance for that reason. Several fans nowadays need a better and logical reason on why that character needs to be a playable rep other than being female". Besides, most of the population gamewise and in reality are male anyway.

I agree, well put. I'd like to see someone make a solid argument for Krystal. But in the even of her inclusion I would expect to see Falco removed from the roster.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
I think they should bring in more female characters from third-party franchises like Amy or Rouge from Soinc.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, I don't know about race with characters, especially since a lot of characters look Caucasian and Oriental at the same time. Still, there isn't a Latino/Native American playable character in smash, unless I am missing something with race regarding characters (Samus, perhaps?).
Zelda doesn't exist now, Johnny Boy?
Shh Yu-Gi-Oh... she turns into a man in Ocarina of Time, so at least one incarnation of Zelda must secretly be at a Poison-like status. :troll:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think they should bring in more female characters from third-party franchises like Amy or Rouge from Soinc.
I respectively disagree because there are several more iconic charcters that would have less redundant movesets than those two(Shadow, Knuckles).

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

And that explains why Zoroark is so epic she should be included in the game.
On another side: What about her?

She is the main char of her own game, she has that bracelets with studs like a certain char of Street Fighter 2, and she has personality, not really good nor really evil. She's just as a beach as she looks like, but hey, being an axehole didn't stop Wario from being in the game.
Of course, they will have to invent a moveset from zero, just like they did with Captain Falcon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that some of the Pokemon media refer to Zoroark as a female, but it has much larger odds of being a male than a female in the RPGs.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually Zoroark being a female isn't too far off. The playable Pokemon tend to be loosely based on their anime counterparts, for example Pichu hurting itself from electricity, Mewtwo being capable of speech and being associated with Shadow Ball, and Jigglypuff for being more dangerous then it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom