• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aurora, Colorado: 12 Dead in Shooting Rampage at Midnight Showing of The Dark Knight

Jasou

Smash Ace
Here's an article, except this happened about 3 hours ago so this is breaking news. If anyone gets an article with updated information on it be sure to post it.

From an article:
Twelve cinema-goers are reported to have been killed and 20 hurt at a cinema in the Colorado city of Aurora during a midnight showing of the new Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises.

Local media also report that two gunmen, believed to have been wearing gas masks, went on the rampage. Further reports confirmed that a blast went off at the Century 16 cinema in Aurora, leaving several injured.

Police said they were hunting an Indian male and began a manhunt at a local mall.
"The number of injured is unclear right now," Al Boe, journalist at BNO News, told IBTimes UK on Twitter. "An explosion definitely went off but early reports said shots were fired. Multiple injuries"

Many children are feared among the casualties. Fox News has reported that a baby shoot at close range.

A second device may have been located in the parking lot of the theatre, according to police radio. Explosive K9's are on scene.
-end quote

A Reddit post:
Boyfriend and I have evacuated safe and sound. The shooting began during a gunfight scene in the movie, and at first, we thought it was special effects when smoke rose up. When shots happened again and people began to run, we thought something was up. A guy ran in and shouted there was a gunman in the building, and the alarms to emergency evacuate started to go off.
I now know what tear gas feels like. I've never had to 'get down' with a police officer screaming at us. This is the most ****ed up night of my short life. I need an army of kitten photos stat.
http://whotalking.com/Century+16
[Edit] Thank you for the well wishes everyone. Heart is still racing, especially reading up on it still. Apparently, not long after we evacuated the premises, an explosion went off, and the death toll has risen to 12, with 20 more injured: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/3...ark-knight-rises-batman-colorado-shooting.htm
-end quote

Apparently rumor is spreading around that they also spray painted why so serious in the theater. Another rumor is that the shooter dressed up as bane.

I personally think this event is horrible..... I mean shooting a child at close range is just fked up and that's not the only death/injury.

This is also just my opinion but no one has to agree with it. The previous movie the Dark Knight was just too violent imo. I think the violent nature of the movie contributed to this sick joke. Are movies just going to get more violent and are events like this going to happen more?

What are your opinions? Edit:Current death count 14, injured 50 as of 3:27am in Colorado

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think it's sad I live in colorado and I'm finding this out on a video game website.

also inb4 "the movies are the real problem here they're obviously encouraging this behavior" blah blah whatever

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
D

Deleted member

No words can describe how horrible the man is for killing twelve people. This is seriously not making me want to see the movie.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I found out about this from all the texts and phone calls I got waking me up. I live in Aurora and 5 miles where the shooting happened. I am just...speechless for being glad I didn't go see the movie and deciding to wait and just how close it was to me and my family.

Thankfully everyone is all right, but those poor people and just...=/

D

Deleted member

Don't let one guy ruin the movie for you, mate. Go see it anyway.

And this is a tragedy. I hope this guy gets locked up for a long time.
Anyone that kills in such a sadist manner deserves life in prison or even death.

And I know I'll probably go see it anyway, but it does kind of dampens how much fun it would be to see it, at least in my opinion.

@J: I am glad that you are safe. My thoughts goes out to you.

Jasou

Smash Ace
It's good that you are safe J.

But yeah this man deserves the death penalty or something very harsh.

Hopefully you guys can still enjoy the movie. I wasn't going to see it myself, but you could always watch it at home later if your really freaked out. I bet it would be safe now though. It's horrible that this happened for a multitude of reasons. Some people were really excited for this :/

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
that is dumb. better not go outside at all ever because there are crazy people everywhere and some of them are violent.
So much this.

You can't put your life on hold out of fear. It was because of fear like this that governments were able to swoop in and just take a bunch of civil liberties from people.

Besides, killers like this generally revel in the notoriety and to give them your fear would be the ultimate gratification.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Please for the love of God people do not make this issue some kind of political thing or a reason not to see this movie. I mean if you're going to be afraid of going to a movie over this, might as well be afraid of going outside. I've read at least once some people may skip it to "respect the victims". Uh, ok. Sure. Does that go for all movies or just that movie? Are you still going outside? I mean seriously what the ****. One isolated incident that just happened to take place during the premiere of a movie means you have to cost the people who made it that much money to show respect to the victims?

I've been all kinds of emotional since this happened, this is ****ed up.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Why has no one else given you **** for making this awful joke yet. Seriously what the ****..
Pardon? It wasn't meant to be a joke at all.

The guy was dressed as the Joker or in some semblance to him (he had red/orange hair as opposed to green). He called himself "The Joker" as well. I don't know much about the story, and it's gonna be a while until a psychiatric evaluation comes back out, but all I was saying was that he was gone off the deep end, to the point he thought he was some villain.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Pardon? It wasn't meant to be a joke at all.

The guy was dressed as the Joker or in some semblance to him (he had red/orange hair as opposed to green). He called himself "The Joker" as well. I don't know much about the story, and it's gonna be a while until a psychiatric evaluation comes back out, but all I was saying was that he was gone off the deep end, to the point he thought he was some villain.
Sorry, when that's all you say in a post it kinda comes off as a joke to me, but my bad for reading too much into it.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I thought he was dressed in body armour and a gas mask.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
The problem I have is how that line just seems pointless and stupid. "Oh man, someone took the whole 72 virgins thing too seriously" would probably come off as kinda ****ish in the aftermath of a ****ing terrorist attack when it's go no other substance than that.

But hey, whatever.

Edit-Also who gives a **** what he called himself.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Let's try not to take this in a direction that will end up in a lock.

This subject is volatile enough as is.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Like I said, it was not meant to be a joke at all. You can interpret it to be that way if you want, but I made that comment after I read the above mentioned article. From that information, I was stating that this guy took his role as pretending to be a villain too seriously.

I have never been one to joke about death like that, if ever joke about it at all, and I am not going to start now.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If he took it seriously he would have dyed his hair green and wore white make up.

Saying he's the joker...

This guy is a nueroscience student...I wonder if he was just a psychopath trying to make some kind of political statement

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I agree with that sentiment, but we don't know what was going through this guy's head. If he willingly called himself "The Joker", and didn't bother putting on an accurate outfit, then he must have been sharing some similarities with The Joker from a psychological view as opposed a physical one.

I wonder if this might set in motion for some rule that people cannot dress up or be limited in their wear for movies like these.

There is a specific line from The Dark Knight, I believe after Batman catches him at the end of the film. Joker says this...

Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that like a gang banger, will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it’s all, part of the plan. But when I say that one, little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds!
If I had to venture a guess as to why he called himself "The Joker", that line from the movie may sort of provide any possible reasoning.

But it's just a guess. I'm interested in knowing what he has to say or what the evaluations on him are.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does it matter why he did it?

He's just an unstable *******, that's all there is to it. This was just one possible avenue for him to vent his crazy. If he didn't do it like this he would've found another way. I'm sure Fox News is doing a good enough job at psycho-analyzing this to turn it into some kind of 'war' against whatever the **** so can we just leave it alone and concentrate on what actually matters?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does it matter why he did it?

He's just an unstable *******, that's all there is to it. This was just one possible avenue for him to vent his crazy. If he didn't do it like this he would've found another way. I'm sure Fox News is doing a good enough job at psycho-analyzing this to turn it into some kind of 'war' against whatever the **** so can we just leave it alone and concentrate on what actually matters?
What actually matters?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think he means that people died yesterday/today, and we should be focusing on those that were lost, rather than talking up the victim and giving him his 15 minutes of fame.

I hope this guy does get the DP though. Not sure if Colorado has it. The more sources I read, the more it sounds like he knew what he was doing, and was not out of his mind.

Edit: They do have the DP.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
^ Exactly

Not to mention all of the families effected by this.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's horrible and tragic, yes.

But there isn't much discussion that can be said about that.

When you get into it, a lot of the families even want to know "Why?"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe it's not killing that's wrong, but the consequences the act has on society and the human race in general.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Killing people who were doing nothing wrong enough to justify such a ****ing thing is overwhelmingly perceived by people to be wrong, so just stop. You speak as if wrong is an actual solid thing and not a word created to describe things we view as something that is negative, bad, shameful, etc.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Killing people who were doing nothing wrong enough to justify such a ****ing thing is overwhelmingly perceived by people to be wrong, so just stop. You speak as if wrong is an actual solid thing and not a word created to describe things we view as something that is negative, bad, shameful, etc.
If you are attacking what I said, I think you misunderstood it because one of my points was that what the guy did was wrong

Jasou

Smash Ace
^ Exactly

Not to mention all of the families effected by this.
Yes, definitely. I really hope that the people who were injured can recover. Just thinking about the crap that happened last night makes me feel a little sick.

It's good that the person was captured. Now we can just think about the people affected by this.

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Let's not get into that "it's just that way because you perceive it as such so killing is neutral" before a debate happens, but I don't think anyone was really saying that.

Anyway, I was going to dress as Batman for when I see the movie next week for comedic effect, but I'm not doing that now because people would probably get really nervous and it just feels like it's in bad taste.

I think it's sickening that someone can just come in and ruin this for everyone. Can you imagine how much they had been looking forward to this? I mean, they went to the midnight premiere to see it and ended up leaving without loved ones. It's horrific.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
It's hard to think about this horrific event. The movie goers would have never expected something like this to happen, and those that died would have never believed that they were going to die that night. We all wonder how each one of us are going to leave this Earth, but this would definately be unexpected. My heart goes out to those involved. Is there any sort of donation taking place for the victims or anything like that?

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
^Not that I know of, but if I see anything about it I'll put up a link. To be honest, it's good to see that everyone still values human life.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm starting to wonder what the Gun Control law in Colorado is. The guy had an semi-auto assault rifle, tear gas, gas mask, shotgun, and a huge chunk in ammunition in a span of 60 days.

I don't really wanna get into logistics of if guns should be allowed or not, but you figure there would be some sort of limit.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
^Not that I know of, but if I see anything about it I'll put up a link. To be honest, it's good to see that everyone still values human life.
There's a thing on facebook being passed around about having Christian Bale visit the living child victims in the hospital.

to be honest, I don't know if that would be cool or terrifying if I were one of those kids. I imagine these people are all going to have nothing but bad feelings associated with Batman now.

Top Bottom