• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fear the wings of darkness! Sword Style: Kalas Thread!

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman

(Hope he's photogenic...)

Let's get this thread creation over with. I'm hungry.

Who cares!?
Kalas is the main protagonist of Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, with a cameo in the ending of Baten Kaitos: Origins if the player completed a sidequest. While he is the main protagonist of the game, he is not the player character. Instead, Kalas is aided in his quest to avenge the death of his brother and "grandfather" by a "guardian spirit", the person playing the game. This enables a really cool twist near the start of disc 2 that simply would not be otherwise possible without this oddity.

In the world of Baten Kaitos, most humans are born with the ability to manifest two "wings of the heart", a physical expression of someone's spirit. While Kalas is born with only a single wing, he makes up for it with use of a "winglet", a mechanical substitute for wings of the heart used by the people of Alfard, custom made for him by his grandfather.

In battle Kalas, like every other player character in the game, fights with a deck of cards known as "Magnus" (No relation). While the most basic Magnus Kalas uses are swords, Magnus may store a broad range of objects, including meat, bamboo, mattresses, hair dryers and coins from the river Styx, that may be used in combat, and are even able to store intangible concepts such as "good times" or "chronic fatigue". Kalas also has acess to both "finisher" moves, used at the end of play of Magnus, with magical effects, and may ally with the Guardian Spirit to control raw manifestations of the game's six elements (Fire, water, light, dark, wind and, oddly enough, time). Kalas has a wide range of abilities, even before he borrows from other characters (as many Smash characters have), and is more the capable of producing a moveset.

You actually think you can win? What a hoot!
The Baten Kaitos games were developed by Monolith Software, which is now owned by Nintendo, when they were owned by Namco (who are co-producing the 4th Smash Bros game). Additionally, Nintendo published Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean in Australia, and handled the North American release and translation of Origins.

After its purchase by Nintendo, Monolith Software did a large amount of work on Brawl.

You're history!
Possibly not.

While true that the last Baten Kaitos game was released 6 years ago (though we had a game listed on upcoming release lists for the DS that was eventually confirmed canceled), this image was posted on Monolith Soft's webpage as a teaser of their new Wii U project

Fans have taken it as indication of a new Baten Kaitos game, as it is a dead ringer for Diadem
after the islands return to Earth at the end of Eternal Wings

Time to collect the loot.
I made this universe icon.

It's a vector image originally, so ask if you need it in a different size.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind his inclusion at all. However being relatively new Nintendo party, he isn't requested much. Plus he has huge competition with other better known 2nd parties. I wouldn't say his inclusion is highly unlikely, but not on the top list of contenders.

That picture definitely looks like the artwork from Baten Kaitos. If the new game comes out before development of SSB4 is near complete then I think we will see some form of Baten Kaitos representation; he could as least be an assist trophy.

It would be interesting incorporating the Magnus cards into his moveset. Kalas could hold up a card & an item could manifest & perform an attack. It would seem weird if he actually holds a hair dryer.

Nice icon.

EDIT: One if his taunts has to use the camera. It could take a quick snapshot of the screen. I prefer that it acts like it did ingame; Kalas takes a picture & when u check ur snapshots, a unique image of one of the characters will be there.
:phone:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Because there is not enough love for this franchise in a long time, I would gladly be part of the people that support this character.
.n_n.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
While I kind of disliked tons of things about the games, I will always remember that surprise twist as one of the most awesome surprises in a video game.

I really don't like the character designs, they all look like circus rejects... but he'd be a slick character, all the same. I'm curious to see what movesets people come up with for him.

Thoughhhh, seeing as this thread pretty much has been dead for over a year, maybe that isn't happening. :p

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
While I kind of disliked tons of things about the games, I will always remember that surprise twist as one of the most awesome surprises in a video game.

I really don't like the character designs, they all look like circus rejects... but he'd be a slick character, all the same. I'm curious to see what movesets people come up with for him.

Thoughhhh, seeing as this thread pretty much has been dead for over a year, maybe that isn't happening. :p
The twist was great and maybe the costumes for the characters is not the best but you need to remember that a costume is not everything for what the character can bring out to the game. I was thinking maybe he can work something like Marth and his forward B where he starts following a combo? Maybe Kalas can function with his specials in a way you need to input the correct buttons to unleash several attacks and depending your string of combos if successful can finish with a big finisher?

.n_n.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I had completely forgotten that this game series existed. I'm surprised it's not more popular of a suggestion.
Yeah me too even I will rank Tales of Sypmhonia > Baten Kaitos > Xenoblade > Golden Sun, as a games seriously this franchise is so underrated that is sad that no one remembers it.
(Beatiful Art, Interesting Story and the game design... god the game design is wonderful).
.n_n.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The twist was great and maybe the costumes for the characters is not the best but you need to remember that a costume is not everything for what the character can bring out to the game. I was thinking maybe he can work something like Marth and his forward B where he starts following a combo? Maybe Kalas can function with his specials in a way you need to input the correct buttons to unleash several attacks and depending your string of combos if successful can finish with a big finisher?

.n_n.

And I suppose he could have an attack where a random Magnus appears above his head and he uses it? Lots of throwing of food, hah.

I think that the OP should have a picture of him with his wings outstretched to make him look a little more different from a generic JRPG character. And, well, the metal wing's pretty cool.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Huh, I had not realised there was a thread for Kalas (I was thinking about making one for him). If I knew this thread existed, I would have replied sooner.

Anyhow, I love Baten Kaitos; it is one of mine favourite RPG series of all time. It was absolutely gorgeous, visually (especially Parnasse, the diabetic confectionery village), and the battle system is amongst the most unique I have ever seen. Also loved the story. I have got to play it again sometime (the first one, anyway. Not as big a fan of the second game, in terms of battle system).

Kalas was one of mine most wanted newcomers during the pre-Brawl days. Though I doubt it would happen, I would love to see him in Smash 4. I was working on a moveset for him many years ago, but never completed it. Maybe I will finish writing and revising it soon, whilst I still have some time on mine hands.

[EDIT] So, let me get this clear... Baten Kaitos is owned by Nintendo now?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I really don´t know in some forums says that the IP is owned by Monolith but others say is owned by Namco, I´m not sure at all who the owner is because the first one was developed by Monolith and tri-Crescendo but produced by Namco and distributed by them and the second one was developed by Monolith and tri-Crescendo and Distributed by Nintendo I don´t own a copy of the second one to check who was the producer if Nintendo or Namco, is really a series that I think is in the limbo, I wish after this game is completed maybe Namco, Nintendo and Monolith could come to arrangement to get a third game for this series.

.n_n.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well now I know who is the owner of the IP 100%, the owner believe it or not is Nintendo, it did happen the same as Banjo and Kazooie with Microsoft, once they bought Rare from Nintendo they did get the ownership, once Namco sold to Nintendo Monolith Soft one of the IP´s that would be acquired by Nintendo is this one, so I´m happy and sad but if by any chance one of the secret projects that Monolith Soft has been working on aside of X is a 3DS game that no one knows about it could be a new Baten Kaitos (for some reason there was a project like that but was cancelled maybe they are trying again with this game in new handheld so my hopes are up).
.n_n.

Altais

Smash Champion
Good news to all Baten Kaitos fans: it seems Smash for Wii U is going to have Baten Kaitos content!

So far, we have a song from the series (see below), but I'm willing to bet we'll get a trophy or two as well! Huzzah! This was more than I could ever ask for.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That's really cool to see. Is it a remix or straight from the game?

I was a bit unsure whether Nintendo owned Baiten Kaitos but I guess this means they do. Baiten Kaitos could be an interesting series to keep an eye on if it gets another game.

Altais

Smash Champion
That's really cool to see. Is it a remix or straight from the game?

I was a bit unsure whether Nintendo owned Baiten Kaitos but I guess this means they do. Baiten Kaitos could be an interesting series to keep an eye on if it gets another game.
It's a new remix. In Baten Kaitos Origins, the song has both an orchestral version and a guitar version (see below). The remix in Smash is kind of a mix between the two.

Altais

Smash Champion
Bump!

I know I said I wouldn't vote for any third party characters, but...I'm seriously thinking about voting for Kalas. Kalas would definitely be unique in that he would be the first Smash character to feature a card-based moveset. Yes, we already have three winged swordsmen, but Kalas has more than enough potential to be different from Pitty Pat, Pittooey, and Meta Knight. Furthermore, Baten Kaitos was developed by Monolith, the same people who did Xenoblade, AND Baten Kaitos already has representation in Smash, so Kalas might just stand a chance.

Similar to Villager, Kalas could pick up and store ANY item by trapping it inside a Magnus card.

Also, I recently thought of this gimmick:

Kalas could have six sword Magnus cards in his possession, each sword attributed to one of the six elements in Baten Kaitos: Fire, Water, Light, Dark, Wind, and Chrono. When Kalas equips one of his sword Magnus, for a limited amount of time ALL of his attacks would do damage based on the element of said Magnus. If his fire sword Magnus is equipped, Kalas's attacks will have a fire effect, doing little knockback but loads of damage. With his water sword, Kalas's attacks will push away opponents, similar to Mario's FLUDD and Villagers water kettle. Kalas's light sword will give his attacks higher knockback, making it useful for finishing off the enemy. Kalas's dark sword would act like Olimar's white Pikmin; when Kalas hits someone, they will be shrouded in dark energy that does continuous damage. Kalas's wind sword would create a miniature wind storm when he hits someone that will damage them multiple times, allowing for better combos. Finally, Kalas's chrono sword would briefly slow the enemy down when he hits them, making them vulnerable for a followup attack.

Once a sword Magnus has been used, it cannot be used again until the player shuffles the deck. The player can either manually shuffle the deck, or simply use all six cards, after which the deck will automatically shuffle. The deck will take roughly twenty seconds to shuffle.

Here's the basic moveset I devised:

:GCB:: Magna Essence (Kalas stores an item or projectile inside of a Magnus card)
:GCB::GCR:: Lord of the Wind/Time/Fire/Water/Light/Darkness (Kalas flies forward like a bullet, sword pointing forward. This move's properties change depending on which sword Magnus Kalas has equipped.)
:GCB::GCU:: Fangs of Light/Darkness/Fire/Water/Wind/Time (Kalas leaps in the air whilst spinning in a spiral, repeatedely damaging opponents with his sword. This move's properties change depending on which sword Magnus Kalas has equipped.)
:GCB::GCD:: Card Swap (Kalas shows his hand, revealing a small scrolling menu. Whilst holding down the special button, use the control stick to select a sword Magnus. Once you've chosen the one you want, let go of the special button)

What say you lot?

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Bump again!

Anyhow, since there are none in the original post, I thought I would post some gameplay videos of both Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and Baten Kaitos Origins, so people have a good idea what the game is about. Despite taking place in the same world, the battle system in both games function completely different from each other. Personally, I like the combat system of the first game better. Yes, the voice acting is not the best in the world, but aside from that, Baten Kaitos is a very well-designed game with a rich storyline. Honestly, I think the voice actors just had poor direction, is all.

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
Welp, you guys just convinced me to throw in a vote for Kalas in the Smash Ballot! Though I've mostly watched my sister play through the game, and personally RPGs aren't my forte, Kalas could bring a unique moveset to the table. I'm thinking of him as sort of a Marth/Villager/Shulk combo, which would be very welcome in my eyes. It'll also give the series a well needed boost of fame like what Xenoblade got.

Altais

Smash Champion
Good to know I'm not the only person on the planet supporting Kalas.

I just thought of an idea for a stage: I think Diadem, the Land of Clouds, would be great as a stage, in terms of appearance and gameplay. The stage could particularly take place on the bridge leading to Castle Elnath, with the Iron Beetle V as a stage boss. Periodically, the scarlet clouds could form into platforms similar to those on the Skyworld (Kid Icarus) stage.

Oh, and in response to the icon in the original post, though it does look cool, I honestly think the Greythorne would be better as the Baten Kaitos icon, since it better represents the whole series than Kalas's winglet.

Altais

Smash Champion
I'm starting to lose hope for Kalas's inclusion. Compared to Tales and other Namco franchises, Baten Kaitos is very obscure. Given that Smash DLC is fanservice, I fancy the more popular characters will have priority, since naturally, they're going to sell. If Kalas was revealed, I fancy most people would think, "Who the hell is this guy? A Marth with wings?"

At this point, the most I'm expecting is a trophy.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I really wish Kalas to be more known, he is a great character, the lore of the game is quiet big and interesting and the series deserves a new entry, by now I will be just happy if the Miis could get a costume of Kalas, only so the people will start talking again about this game.

By the way right now CosmoWright is playing Baten Kaitos if someone wants to watch some gameplay.

.n_n.

Last edited:

Megalex

Smash Rookie
So no more talking about Kalas and Baten Kaitos in general?

.n_n.
Ι 've been voting for Kalas constantly after Roy's inclusion and after seeing Isaac being so high on the list!
I must've given to him at least 100 votes!
If I was Nintendo I would put him in and then rerelease the first 2 Baten Kaitos games which were really overlooked unfortunately or even create a Baten Kaitos 3!
After Xenoblade X and Shulk's inclusion in Sm4sh, why not Kalas for the revival of another unique RPG with its' own great gameplay based on cards?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ι 've been voting for Kalas constantly after Roy's inclusion and after seeing Isaac being so high on the list!
I must've given to him at least 100 votes!
If I was Nintendo I would put him in and then rerelease the first 2 Baten Kaitos games which were really overlooked unfortunately or even create a Baten Kaitos 3!
After Xenoblade X and Shulk's inclusion in Sm4sh, why not Kalas for the revival of another unique RPG with its' own great gameplay based on cards?
Yeah the only bad thing is that the IP is owned by Namco (I think for what I have gathered) so probably the closest of what we can get of content in Smash is the same as Tales of Symphonia a costume for a Mii like Lloyd in the game.

.n_n.

Megalex

Smash Rookie
Yeah the only bad thing is that the IP is owned by Namco (I think for what I have gathered) so probably the closest of what we can get of content in Smash is the same as Tales of Symphonia a costume for a Mii like Lloyd in the game.

.n_n.
Well see what wikipedia says about Monolith Soft:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Soft

Monolith Soft is usually associated with Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and Baten Kaitos Origins, a series of role-playing video games on the Nintendo GameCube, the Xeno series, including Xenoblade Chronicles, a critically acclaimed role-playing video game for the Wii, and the Xenosaga series, a series of role-playing video games on PlayStation 2.

The company was founded on October 1, 1999 by producer Hirohide Sugiura and director Tetsuya Takahashi after they left Square and accepted an investment from Namco.[2]As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Bandai Namco Holdings sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007.[3] Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo.

So if it's a similar case with Shulk and Xenoblade then why not welcoming Kalas to promote again those overlooked masterpieces Baten Kaitos?
I even have to say I prefered the battle system of Baten Kaitos to the one of Xenoblade Chronicles :p
In general I love turn-based RPGs!
A ton of people didn't know Shulk or Xenoblade before their Smash inclusion and i'm sure now they got crazy attention and sold or will sell better than the original Wii Version, both the rereleased Xenoblade Chronicles of New 3ds and Xenoblade Chronicles X which will be a hit on December!
That will be a smart move from Nintendo, establishing a second great RPG as exclusive game experience in their platforms!
I also noticed the Baten Kaitos producer said on that summer that "If fans want a Baten Kaitos 3 game it might happen!", so I'm very positive!

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well see what wikipedia says about Monolith Soft:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Soft

Monolith Soft is usually associated with Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and Baten Kaitos Origins, a series of role-playing video games on the Nintendo GameCube, the Xeno series, including Xenoblade Chronicles, a critically acclaimed role-playing video game for the Wii, and the Xenosaga series, a series of role-playing video games on PlayStation 2.

The company was founded on October 1, 1999 by producer Hirohide Sugiura and director Tetsuya Takahashi after they left Square and accepted an investment from Namco.[2]As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Bandai Namco Holdings sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007.[3] Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo.

So if it's a similar case with Shulk and Xenoblade then why not welcoming Kalas to promote again those overlooked masterpieces Baten Kaitos?
I even have to say I prefered the battle system of Baten Kaitos to the one of Xenoblade Chronicles :p
In general I love turn-based RPGs!
A ton of people didn't know Shulk or Xenoblade before their Smash inclusion and i'm sure now they got crazy attention and sold or will sell better than the original Wii Version, both the rereleased Xenoblade Chronicles of New 3ds and Xenoblade Chronicles X which will be a hit on December!
That will be a smart move from Nintendo, establishing a second great RPG as exclusive game experience in their platforms!
I also noticed the Baten Kaitos producer said on that summer that "If fans want a Baten Kaitos 3 game it might happen!", so I'm very positive!
The thing is like Rare they owned the Banjo and Kazooie IP but not the DK IP, in this case Monolith Soft owned the Xenoblade IP because they make it after the transaction with Nintendo in this context is now owned by by Nintendo, still you do not see Xenogears or Xenosaga as owned by Nintendo instead is Namco the holder of the rights, the thing with Baten Kaitos is that was made by Monolith Soft when they were owned by Namco and the IP is still owned by them even if Baton Kaitos Origins at some point was distributed by Nintendo and published, lets say it falls down almost in the same situation as Bayonetta (the IP is owned by SEGA even if it was produced by Platinum Games).

.n_n.

Last edited:
Top Bottom