• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mach Rider For SSB4 Thread!

D

Deleted member

This thread is for everyone to use to discuss Mach Rider and Smash 4. Please keep things respectful and follow the rules of the site.

After destroying the Quadrunners in 2112, a man was looking for a new challenge. He looked all over the world for people to challenge him and his ability, but no one was willing to face him. After searching for years, he finally got an invitation sent to him stating this:

"You have been awaiting the fight of your life. Come and join other Smashers and fight with the mightiest of warriors."

He was immediately interested. This was his chance to show what he was made off and he was prepared to risk his own life for this event. He was..."

Mach Rider!!!

Mach Rider is a character who stars in the 1985 game of the same name. While the game has not received a sequel, the game was a major influence to F-zero as both are in a futuristic settings with incredibly high speed and contain aggressive drivers. As a matter of fact, Mach Rider even shares some similarity with Captain Falcon. In a way, F-zero is considered Mach Rider's spiritual predecessor.

He is also an often overlooked candidate for Super Smash Bros. 4, as a matter of fact, probably one of the most underrated characters. Mach Rider is a very plausible contender that is worthy of a spot and certainly worth consideration.

Does Mach Rider Meet All Four Criterias?

Let's take a look at Sakurai's four criteria's. The most important thing that Sakurai considers when adding characters are these criteria as every character from Brawl meets them:

1.: A character must make the character want to play the game
95% of people will say he obviously fail this criteria due to not being a popular request, but if Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. taught us anything, it's that a character can meet this criteria and not be a popular request. What Sakurai also considers is if the character is likable and as such, can be made into popular characters that people will never want to let go. Mach Rider has the potential to be the next Captain Falcon or Ice Climbers.

2.: A character must be unique
People will say this destroys Mach Rider's chance of being in Smash as well due to limited move set potentials, but by that logic, Captain Falcon wouldn't be eligible for Smash as well. Look at Captain Falcon, he was completely unique when he got into Smash. The thing about Captain Falcon that got him in was not that he had a bunch of fights to deal with, but that he was capable of fighting and his style reflects that of the fast pace and intense nature of his games. Mach Rider would also be able to reflect his own game as well and he techincally has more move set potentials than Captain Falcon due to having a machine gun.

3.: A character must fit into the game
Detractors will argue that because he was in a bike that he can't be in. That argument is fallicious because Captain Falcon was almost always only seen in his Blue Falcon and never seen fighting, yet behold, he was in all of the Smash games.

4.: A character must contribute to the game balance
Given that he fits the uniquenss and fitting criteria, I'd say he fits this one as well.

Why believe he could show up?
Several reasons.

The first reason is because he's the spiritual predecessor to F-zero. Given that F-zero was an important series to Nintendo, this gives Mach Rider some source of importance because it was the inspiration for the series and without it, we wouldn't have F-zero, or at least not the same way. At any rate, considering that it's more important to Nintendo than Ice Climbers was to Nintendo, it's certainly a plus.

Interesting as well is that he was Sakurai's favorite character for Super Smash Bros. 2. Unlike with Balloon Figher, Urban Champion, Bubbles, and Excitebike, Sakurai did not rule out Mach Rider as a candidate. It shows that he clearly had Mach Rider in the mind for Smash 2 so with the retro pool dwindling, there is more of a reason for Sakurai to consider him again over Lip and Duck Hunt Dog (although I feel Takamaru will be in as well with Mach Rider).

There's also this to note. Sakurai has stated that he loves to revive retro characters in Smash. This essentially confirms that a retro rep is going to be in, but what's interesting is how this can link to Mach Rider's appearance.

Let's compare Takamaru, Lip, and Duck Hunt Dog, the three other choices Sakurai could make:

Lip: There's not much of a reason for Sakurai to revive this game. If Sakurai is going to revive a retro character, he wants to revive ones he can do a lot with and puzzle genre simply do not work.

Duck Hunt Dog: Why would he revive Duck Hunt Dog? This is something that can be made into a downloadable game and be called a day and I seriously doubt Sakurai is going to plan his next project as small as this one.

Takamaru: The only other potential option left, but this one is unlikely. One is that he, in a way, has already been revived. He's appeared in Samurai Warriors 3, Captain Rainbow, WarioWare: D.I.Y., and is going to be in Nintendo Land. So Sakurai reviving him would be futile as he is already revived. And beside, Takamaru is likely to show up without a revival by Sakurai anyway.

What Mach Rider has over them is that he has yet to be revived like Takamaru and unlike Lip and Duck Hunt Dog, leaves a lot of room to be revived. If Sakurai is truly planning to revive a retro character, chances are that he's going to go with Mach Rider.

Game Play Discussion:

As I have been harping on, Mach Rider leaves a lot of room for interpretation by Sakurai.

Mach Rider, if he were to get in, would be close to Captain Falcon's speed. He would be heavier and would work as a rushdown monster; someone that is fast and uses speed to his advantage.

If there are any supporters out there with a move set or ideas for one, that would be gladly appreciated.

People Who Support Mach Rider's Inclusion For Super Smash Bros. 4:
* Super Smash Bros. Fan ~ Leader of the Group, #2 Fan
* Jhonnykiller45
* GoldenYuittusin
* Oasis_S ~ #1 Fan
* Venus of the Desert Bloom
* R.O.B.
* 8-peacock-8
* Mypantsisgone
* Cider
* Young Horsetail
* DakotaBonez
* SubparSmashBrother
* jigglover
* MelMoe
* shinhed-echi
* Onyx Oblivion
* samusrules93
* Diddy Kong

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Joy Mech Fight would be an awesome retro game for Sakurai to revive...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Oh god, that blue font...

Seriously, I can't read any of that text without highlighting it first. PLEASE change it.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind seeing the Mach Rider in.
If he makes it in, I believe his moveset will be similiar to C. Falcon's, but still different enough to not be a clone, kinda like Wolf.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Fixed. Is green any better?
Tons better. I can see the text now.

Edit: Just noticed, he's the spiritual PREDECESSOR to F-Zero, not successor. Thank you.

And as to the character... I'd prefer Takamaru(and I'd debate whether he's truly been revived), but Mach Rider might be interesting. Never played Mach Rider myself.

D

Deleted member

I support Mach Rider as a non-Takamaru Retro. (By that I mean, a Retro other than the obvious Takamaru)

You might as well add Oasis_S to the list of supporters right off the bat as well.

D

Deleted member

Joy Mech Fight would be an awesome retro game for Sakurai to revive...
I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see a Joy Mech Fight revival considering that it is Nintendo's first fighting game, but given that Sakurai has ruled Sukapon as a possible choice (which I would like to see BTW), I don't think that's where Sakurai's next revival will be.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Mach Rider in.
If he makes it in, I believe his moveset will be similiar to C. Falcon's, but still different enough to not be a clone, kinda like Wolf.
I do have a couple of ideas that Mach Rider could use to make himself unique.

He could be able to use this machine gun as a possible B move and move in three directions; up, left, and right. About twenty shot would be fired when shooting the gun and they do light damage but can be used to trap opponents in dangerous situation that can cause them to fall off the stage.

I have also thought of him using a nunchuck as a Smashes move. When fully charged, Mach Rider makes three fast swings of his nunchuck that do moderate damage.

However, I don't see Sakurai implementing either of these if he were to get in, considering that he was against adding guns to Snake's move set (thought since Mach Rider is much less realistic, a possible exception could be made) and the nunchuck may not be Sakurai's idea of a revived characters, given that he gave Kid Icarus a light hearted theme throughout the entire game and he may see a nunchuck as pushing the limit.

@shinpichu: Fixed.

D

Deleted member

Well, only the Mach Bike had a machine gun. Mach Rider himself has some sort of pistol.

Also, to go along with other badass bikers (namely, Ghost Rider and Nightwatcher), Mach should have a chain :troll:. To make it more future-y, a chain covered in energy. :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The character seems kind of uninteresting honestly. Maybe because the character might end up as a Captain Falcon knock off instead of driving (pun somewhat intended) into a more interesting direction.

:phone:

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I do have a couple of ideas that Mach Rider could use to make himself unique.

He could be able to use this machine gun as a possible B move and move in three directions; up, left, and right. About twenty shot would be fired when shooting the gun and they do light damage but can be used to trap opponents in dangerous situation that can cause them to fall off the stage.

I have also thought of him using a nunchuck as a Smashes move. When fully charged, Mach Rider makes three fast swings of his nunchuck that do moderate damage.

However, I don't see Sakurai implementing either of these if he were to get in, considering that he was against adding guns to Snake's move set (thought since Mach Rider is much less realistic, a possible exception could be made) and the nunchuck may not be Sakurai's idea of a revived characters, given that he gave Kid Icarus a light hearted theme throughout the entire game and he may see a nunchuck as pushing the limit.

Huh.
I like the idea of giving someone a rapid firing gun, Mach Rider is actually a pretty good choice for it.
Though, if he gets a gun I do believe it'll shoot lasers or i.e, which isn't really a problem.

D

Deleted member

Well, only the Mach Bike had a machine gun. Mach Rider himself has some sort of pistol.

Also, to go along with other badass bikers (namely, Ghost Rider and Nightwatcher), Mach should have a chain :troll:. To make it more future-y, a chain covered in energy. :awesome:
That would be awesome to see and there's so many ideas for the Mach Rider that we haven't even scratched the surface yet.
The character seems kind of uninteresting honestly. Maybe because the character might end up as a Captain Falcon knock off instead of driving (pun somewhat intended) into a more interesting direction.

It could happen if Mach Rider were to be a last minute creation and if Sakurai was intending to revive Takamaru (if he felt it deemed one) instead of Mach Rider, but I think if Mach Rider were selected as the next series for him to revive, he would almost certainly be unique.

@Jhonny: GoldenYuittusin did state that Mach Rider had some kind of pistol, Perhaps Sakurai would do that.

Speaking of what GoldenYuittusin also said, perhaps with a Side B, Mach Rider can ride on it and press the B button while on the bike to fire the machine gun. Something that I can also see Sakurai doing.

D

Deleted member

Ew, no. I don't want another Wario Bike.
Except that it shoots BOOLETS. (not really. probably be energy shots to go with the "no firearms" deal.)

Mach Bike would make an interesting FS though, where he hops on it, and you control him riding it and you can shoot, pop wheelies, etc.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Except that it shoots BOOLETS. (not really. probably be energy shots to go with the "no firearms" deal.)

Mach Bike would make an interesting FS though, where he hops on it, and you control him riding it and you can shoot, pop wheelies, etc.
As long as it's not part of his regular moveset.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I fully support Mach Rider. Add me to the list of supporters!

I would love to see a switch on and off game play between riding his motorcycle or fighting on foot. For example, he could be running and instantly, jump onto his motorcycle (like on Tron) and start racing towards the enemy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As long as he can turn into separate particles (degeneration), I'm in for supporting him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I like the guy, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to retros, I personally like the idea of Muddy Mole and Takamaru more. That being said, I find all three pretty likely.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

Not a biggest fan of Mach Rider here, but the guy looks cool and fitting as much as Captain Falcon.
If I was a judge of an audution I would definitevely say yes.

D

Deleted member

I would love to see a switch on and off game play between riding his motorcycle or fighting on foot. For example, he could be running and instantly, jump onto his motorcycle (like on Tron) and start racing towards the enemy.
If there were to be such a mechanic, perhaps Mach Rider could switch with the Down B.

Or they could have it as a Final Smash.
As long as he can turn into separate particles (degeneration), I'm in for supporting him.

That's a great ideas as well. I think that could be used for an Up B and have a great recovery, although does no damage to the opponent.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I think the Mach Rider can actually have a full moveset surrounding bike. Unlike Falcon, Mach Rider rides a motorcycle, not a car.

He can also attack people without having to roll down his window. :upsidedown:

During his walking animation, should he get off his bike & drag it with him, or should he just drive very slowly?

He could use some kind of "turbo launch" function for an up special.

D

Deleted member

I'd rather have an energy chain wielding, laser pistol toting, exploding and reforming, badass biker fighter rather than keep him on the bike.

D

Deleted member

I think the Mach Rider can actually have a full moveset surrounding bike. Unlike Falcon, Mach Rider rides a motorcycle, not a car.

He can also attack people without having to roll down his window. :upsidedown:

During his walking animation, should he get off his bike & drag it with him, or should he just drive very slowly?

He could use some kind of "turbo launch" function for an up special.

I'm all for Mach Rider getting a bike, but I don't think a full move set based on the bike is going to work. Even with the things he could do, he would still be hindered considerably by only riding on the bike.

Limiting the bike to a Final Smash or a switch mechanic like Venus of the Desert Bloom described would be better overall. Mach Rider mostly on feet would work much better.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
This thread was only created yesterday?

He would be the reversed Wolf,his Special will be the Big difference between him and Falcon!

Luigi in a way...but better.Much better!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd rather have an energy chain wielding, laser pistol toting, exploding and reforming, badass biker fighter rather than keep him on the bike.
Pretty much this.

I like this idea. What about when he gets hit while on the bike it will quickly degenerate/evaporate into energy instead of falling off like Wario? That way his side special wouldn't have to be him getting on a bike like wario(I'm also ok with this).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I can see him almost playing like Ghost Rider from UMvC3.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
He has a lot of cool factor, and I bet his gimmick of being able to burst into particles and then reform again
is pretty, pretty awesome. He has also a machine gun and a motorbike.

Cool factor is just over the max in this guy. Definitely has my support.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Ohhhhh...THAT's the Mach Rider!
This whole time I thought people were referring to the Bikers from ExciteBike. I'm gonna have to research some more about this Biker spiderman lookalike.
Agreeing with the guy above me.
Man this guy seems to cool to pass up.

D

Deleted member

Wait a minute....
Mach Rider is a CHICK?!
Mind = Blown

Well, Mach Rider is Mach Rider. Still a badass biker. Still want in Smash.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So now he's a Samus clone instead of a Falcon clone?

This is really quite a revelation... It's like no one even knew this existed. This was two years before Samus existed, come to think of it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
All sources I can find say that unlike Samus, mach rider has never appeared without his helmet.

D

Deleted member

I take it that it's a fake then?

Shame, because I was going to suggest "she" use an energy knife like Rocket Raccoon based on that image.

....aw **** it, I STILL suggest Mach Rider use an energy knife. (Gets around the issue that Snake had with his regular knives)
That way we can get some Ghost Rider/Rocket Raccoon action on him. (energy chains and a knife ftw)

jigglover

Smash Lord
I thought that nintendo wasn't allowed to use real bullets since they don't want an age rating for the game higher than need be.
BTW, SSBF, am I allowed to be added to the mach bike supporter list, IDK how they work.

Top Bottom