• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

One of the most intense battles in Smash 4 speculation is the battle for a potential Super Mario Bros. newcomer. Some believe the franchise will stay where it is, some believe it'll get a newcomer, and even some believe in the franchise getting two or *gasp* more.

So what do you think will happen to the Mario cast?

I think what will happen is that we get a Mario newcomer with it either being Toad, Bowser Jr., or Paper Mario, with Toad being the most likely. If we get a second Mario newcomer, then I could see Waluigi in the fold as well, but I really doubt he's getting in and I find the chances of a second Mario newcomer slim, especially given that we're not guarantee a newcomer in the first place. Anyone else I do not believe has a shot.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Toad and Waluigi are my most wanted.
Then the other like JR. and Rosalina,ect...
And my personally wanted,i do beleive myself he has no shot for at least the fourth,E.Gadd.
Since Mario is one of the series that Sakurai doesn't want to get overly represented...And most of us not thinking about the systems having different rosters...This will need multiple Smashes. :ohwell:

And
First :troll:

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't care if we get a Mario newcomer this time. None of choices excite me very much.

My preference order for a newcomer:

Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
Toad
Rosalina
Waluigi
Anyone else

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can see it going one of a few ways. I can see it staying the same, as they have the big four: Hero, Sidekick, Damsel in Distress, Villain. If they were to add any, I still stick with my gut and say Toad. He's been there since the beginning, has been playable numerous times, and can provide an interesting Spore-based moveset, as shown in Smash Bros. and Mario Sports Mix.

If they plan Toad early and they have extra time, I can see Bowser Jr. being added a bit later. I wouldn't bank on them having extra time, but if they did and Toad was already in, then I can easily see Bowser Jr. being added.

D

Deleted member

It occured to me that people forget (as I did as well) the most likely Mario "newcomer".

Dr. Mario. He was planned for Brawl, and would've likely been added after Mewtwo and Roy.

People try to use the "oh, but he's a clone and IS Mario" thing as a reason why he isn't likely. However, it only applies to why they don't want him.
Sakurai has been shown to bring in planned characters from past games into future games, such as Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede, who were planned for Smash 64, and Lucas, who was planned to replace Ness in Melee.
Dr. Mario is both a planned character AND a Smash Veteran. Puts him in leagues with Mewtwo and Roy, honestly.

D

Deleted member

Well, my preference order would go something like this from most wanted to least wanted:

Geno > Paper Mario > Toad > Waluigi > Bowser Jr. > Dr. Mario >>> Anyone else.

Geno is my most wanted mainly because he would fill both a Mario and a 3rd party slot at the same time, which I see as killing two birds with one stone. That and I really would enjoy seeing him in Smash with the arsenal of moves he has. Unfortunately, his chances are slim.

As long as one of the six does get in, I'm fine. Heck, they could just make Dr. Mario an alt of Mario and I would still be satisfied. I'd be happy with any possible Mario addition (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi, Dr. Mario, and Geno).

@GoldenYuiitusin: I'm not particularly interested in Dr. Mario as a full character returning, but given that he was in Melee, he does suffice as an addition.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am going to rank the choices from most wanted to least wanted. My choices are coming from a flavor perspective:

Paper Mario I believe that he offers a wealth of potential for a move set. The main prospect is the ability to switch team-mates. That way he can rotate his partners with Down B, giving him a new B move depending on the partner choice. He also offers different movement styles with his unique folded paper forms.

Rosalina She can borrow the unique gravity effects from Galaxy such as creating the Yellow Meteors that float and have their own gravitational pull. I see her as a defensive heavy middle-weight with the ability to shoot star bits and utilize one of her Star friends.

Toad A fast, powerful lightweight with plenty of games to borrow moves from. I would like it if they kept him a cowardly fighter who is unaware of his own strength.

Waluigi Can't say I really want him, but I am sure if he does make it in, Waluigi will be hilarious.

Bowser Jr. I just do not think Bowser Jr. can offer much. I see him as stale. Personal Opinion. I would prefer any of the other Kooplings over him.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo should just buy Geno's rights & put him in a Super Mario Galaxy title.

Not that easy my friend

Plus, I don't think Nintendo really cares about him except when it comes to pulling our legs

Anyway, in terms of mario newcomers

How about

Shy guy and Toad Waluigi and Geno :troll:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If a new Mario character were to make an appearance I'd want Paper Mario.
I think it's more likely that Yoshi will get a 2nd rep like Kamek or Shyguy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bowser Jr. has the most potential for an original moveset with his paint, and if he became a clone, his resemblances to Bowser would be minimal because of his small size (he'd also likely be more competitive due to increased speed).

Jr. is definitely the most likely Mario newcomer, since he can be added as an original character or a clone. That kind of versatility is rare for characters to have.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
My personal review of potential Mario newcomer.

Toad:
Although he's a bit on the controversial side, he is the last playable Mario rep that has yet to receive a Smash Bros. spot. (SMB2 does count, it's not like it was US-exclusive). He (to my knowledge) has been in every Mario game. There's not much going against him except the fact that Sakurai has not yet added him and there could be a reason for it.

Waluigi
Probably the most controversial one in the Smash Boards. Outside of Smash boards, he is a very popular request. I kinda grow tired of the "Spin-Offs doesn't count" argument. Spin-offs ARE games. There are MANY Mario "Spin-Offs" that have created a fanbase, and essentially the "Fourth
(Player)
Mario Brother". I'm sure he'd fit in a four player game.. especially if Sakurai keeps hearing it from people.

But my only thing with Waluigi is, is he even a "Mario rep"? Would he fall into his own emblem, upside down L, right next to Wario? I think this may be the case, leaving a spot open for the "Mario Franchise".

Bowser Jr.

Another popular request. He has a lot going for him too. Non-Clone potential, as well as a small, agile, but weighty and powerful character. Give him a high jump and he'd be pretty fun to play as. However the potential for his inclusion has basically lead to a "Bowser Jr vs. Toad" debates. But Bowser Jr. has a good chance, considering he's been a major character in recent Mario games.

Dr. Mario

I really think he's going to be an alt costume this time around. His only chance is being a Smash Bros. Veteran, and being one of the "Forbidden 7". But who knows now, since he wasn't in the last installment.

Geno

Really, the major thing he has going for him is the massive support. Like someone mentioned earlier, Geno and Smash Bros are basically hand in hand when it comes to discussions in other places of the internet. Article "SMASH BROS BLAH...." Comments "GENO 4 SMASH". I'm sure this has reached Sakurai.

I won't do an analysis on Rosalina, because I didn't play the Galaxy games, and as for Kamek, I think if included, he would be a "Yoshi" rep, so no worries there.

The thing with Mario and Friends, is they essentially make up 20% of Nintendo Games (Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf... etc) As long as 10 new Mario characters aren't added, I don't think people would even mind if both Toad and Bowser Jr. got in along with Waluigi as his own seperate franchise. Heck, even I think Geno could make it along with those four without people crying foul.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I personally don't care if we get a Mario newcomer this time. None of choices excite me very much.

My preference order for a newcomer:

Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario
Toad
Rosalina
Waluigi
Anyone else

That's weird. That's my list exactly except that I list every other mario character in existence (in no particular order) above Waluigi just so that he is last out of every single mario character in the existence of Mario. I don't like Waluigi.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Paper Mario and Paper Luigi are my top choices. Everyone else is very "meh"

I strongly believe Toad won't be playable. Not because he's a bad character (I personally don't like him, but that's not the point) The point is he'll never be playable because Sakurai hates him.

D

Deleted member

@Subpar: If Sakurai hated Toad, Toad would have never been a part of Peach's B move set.

Speaking of Toad, if Toad does make the cut, he should be revealed before Peach to clear any confusion if Peach still keeps Toad as part of her move set (yes, we can have a playable Toad and Peach keep Toad as part of her move set. Just recoloring Peach's Toad would do.)

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
@Subpar: If Sakurai hated Toad, Toad would have never been a part of Peach's B move set.

Speaking of Toad, if Toad does make the cut, he should be revealed before Peach to clear any confusion if Peach still keeps Toad as part of her move set (yes, we can have a playable Toad and Peach keep Toad as part of her move set. Just recoloring Peach's Toad would do.)
Is Toadsworth out of the question for Peach's B Move? haha I think that replacement would make sense too.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd really like if there was a smash game with JUST Mario characters.

My favorite Mario character to add is Geno, of course.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I meant to put :p at the end because it was a joke.

No proof, I just think if Sakurai thought he had potential as a character he would have made him one by now instead of part of peach's moveset. He's not even an assist trophy!
Oh. That's sort of funny how one simple face can make a difference.

But for the other point, couldn't that be said about any newcomer? Especially the ones that weren't Assist Trophies who are quite popular (K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, etc.). Just my observations.

yani

Smash Lord
Geno is the only new Mario rep I want. Heck I'd even take Doc back. I don't care for the rest tbh.

Veggi

Smash Champion
It could also work the other way around with characters like Hammer Bro. who should absolutely for no reason be a playable character.

Also, in my opinion the Mario franchise should go in order of importance to the series. Toad and Bowser Jr. should be the top considered by a long shot.

I love Paper Mario, but I just don't like having more than one of the same character. I realize that Paper Mario could easily be made different enough, but I think his major abilities should just be incorporated into Mario's move set. The same with Paper Luigi and Paper Peach.

Waluigi is epic in his own right, but as far as deserving to get into Smash, Toad absolutely demolishes him in importance. Call me when Waluigi is in a game that Toad isn't.

Rosalina is extremely cool and Nintendo has instantly made her a staple character by having her appear in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7. It was disappointing that she didn't appear in Mario Tennis Open, but at least there was Mario Galaxy representation and then Luma was a playable character. Maybe Rosalina didn't join in to play tennis because she didn't want to have to haul her heavy ***?

Geno is eh. He's definitely not important to the Mario franchise at all, but because people won't shut up about him I think he might have a small chance.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Oh. That's sort of funny how one simple face can make a difference.

But for the other point, couldn't that be said about any newcomer? Especially the ones that weren't Assist Trophies who are quite popular (K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, etc.). Just my observations.
I never said Sakurai doesn't hate Ridley and K Rool too :p But seriously, I'm not holding my breath for either of those two. The only reason they're in the running is they have an EXTREMELY high demand that Toad doesn't... maybe sakurai will cave in under all the pressure from fans.

Palutena wasn't really popular at all Pre-brawl, at least I don't remember her being.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser Jr. and Rosalina are my biggest priorities. I'd also input Dixie Kong and King K. Rool, merely because they're part of the same universe as Mario.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
[...]

Waluigi is epic in his own right, but as far as deserving to get into Smash, Toad absolutely demolishes him in importance. Call me when Waluigi is in a game that Toad isn't.

[...]

Mario Power Tennis GBA, Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.

Anyways, to be on topic, I'll give my opinions on the most requested Mario characters so far :
Toad: He's one of the most important characters in the Mario series, and has been around for alot longer than Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Rosalina, etc. I feel like he should get a chance.

Waluigi: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2009/04/01/151-witf/ and http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2009/09/29/191-triloigi/ That is all.
Anyways, for those of you who actually want a reason, well, I do believe that Waluigi should get a chance. I mean, he's no Toad or anything like that, but still, he's got plenty of untouched potential that Sakurai could easily take advantage of, and he's pretty popular too. Like, come on, who wouldn't want to do a Mario/Luigi vs. Wario/Waluigi match ?

Bowser Jr.: While he IS important to the Mario series now, I don't really feel like he should appear in Smash. I'd be fine if he appeared as an Assist Trophy or as a DLC character, though.

Geno: I seriously do not know why people think he has a chance. I mean, yeah, he has potential, popularity and all, but, he's not important enough to the Mario series to appear in Smash. You also need to take in consideration that he's third-party, a forgotten third-party, actually.

Rosalina: I don't even know why people believe she has a chance, really.
While I do like the character itself, it dosen't feel right to give her a spot in Smash, when there are more important characters to the series such as Toad; although, I do believe she'll appear as a background character, DLC or as an Assist Trophy.

Dixie Kong: I like her, she should get a spot in Smash, however, King K. Rool has been around for longer than her, and K. Rool also is more important to the DK series than Dixie is.

King K. Rool: He's a pretty cool guy. He certantly should get a spot for Smash.

Other Yoshi series character: I really don't know why people are suggesting that the Yoshi series get another rep, when Yoshi himself is clearly enough, but, IF there is another rep for the Yoshi series, I believe it'll be Baby Mario or Baby Bowser, due to them being the most important characters in the series apart from Yoshi himself.

Other Wario series character: While I do like all of Wario's games, it dosen't feel right to give them more representation in terms of playable characters, because, not only are the Wario series characters pretty unpopular, but they're also pretty un-needed for Smash, as Wario himself is all that we really need, however, the Wario series should definetively get more trophies in general.

Other characters:
Dr. Mario: I dunno why, but I just like seeing Mario in a doctor's outfit. I'd like if he came back as a separate character or even as a costume.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Waluigi's not in Wario games, only paired with him in Mario games, your Waluigi as a Wario rep can not work. I also hate him and will go through every single Mario character n a list just so that he's 2842nd or something like that. Baby Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser/Wario will not get in for the simple reason of Kamek, besides, Baby Mario the least important character in Yoshi's island DS since the only ability he gives Yoshi is to run a tiny bit faster than the other characters. Kamek being the main villian makes it seem like she definitely should get in.
Bowser JR. shaped the Nintendo Game-cube, and without him, it probably would have been a dud. The game-cube was less-than-popular before Mario showed his moustache to it, and ever since then, the games relased before sun-shine, which were once considered average, unexcitable, are now considered all time classics; after people completed Sunshine (honestly, my all-time favourite game) they bought a load of other games released before it since that was all there was. Super mario sunshine is what it is because of Bowser JR., and is considered the best story-line in the whole of the Mario series, since the drama between Bowser and his 8th son, all of the shocking reveals later revealed to be lies, bowser jr.'s strange desperation to get his 'mama' back, as well as so much more, is why Bowser Jr. should get in, since he made Nintendo a lot, lot of money for his debut on the Game-cube.
Every-one else I don't really care for, except maybe Rosalina, but she's rather irrelevant right now, maybe SSB5.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Technically Waluigi cameo's in Wario games

cloud9

Smash Cadet
Baby Mario Bros., Waluigi & Bowser Jr. are the ones I want, two Mario reps & one Wario rep (waluigi)
Waluigi wouldn't really be a Wario rep, as he has never actually been in a Wario game.

Personally, I want Koopa Troopa in Smash 4. He has been around since the original Super Mario Bros., is iconic, has appeared in most Mario sports games, has a lot of move set potential. However, there is a danger of him becoming a Squirtle clone.

Also, Rosalina would be good.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Technically Waluigi cameo's in Wario games
The only Waluigi reference that I've seen outside of spin-offs is in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. In World 9-8, some of the coin formations resemble the letter on Waluigi's cap, even though they're actually supposed to resemble a coin.

D

Deleted member

Given that Sakurai does consider Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario to be part of the Super Mario Bros. franchise, I will accept discussion of them here although the thread was not created specifically for them.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Given that Sakurai does consider Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario to be part of the Super Mario Bros. franchise, I will accept discussion of them here although the thread was not created specifically for them.
Sounds like Sakurai and I have the same belief there. After all, Donkey Kong Island and Diamond City are different locations that can be visited at the Mushroom Planet.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only Waluigi reference that I've seen outside of spin-offs is in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. In World 9-8, some of the coin formations resemble the letter on Waluigi's cap, even though they're actually supposed to resemble a coin.
Well, there is this

You could say this is as close to a Warioware appearance Waluigi gets. He also has a biker-esque outfit like Wario in this "appearance"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
IMO, it is Toad > Bowser Jr. > Paper Mario > Geno AND Mallow (both or nothing) > Rosalina > Birdo > Waluigi > Random Mario characters > Generic Mario enemies

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Likely candidates for new reps are Toad, Bowser Jr., and Waluigi. I'd prefer Waluigi, but he's not the most likely. Toad might not be taken out of Peach's moveset, and Bowser Jr. has more moveset potential than Toad.

D

Deleted member

Edit: Found what I was looking for, but it did not cite Waluigi as an example.

D

Deleted member

Is this going to be another "Sakurai doesn't find Toad capable of fighting" situation where no one has proof....?

EDIT: But if it's true, hopefully it will be the final nail in the coffin for Geno. If I have to deal with Waluigi not getting in because he's too "unimportant", so should the Geno fanboys with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom