• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ice Man. Rundas Metroid Prime 3, Corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Rundas, from Metroid Prime 3, is a bounty hunter of the race Phrygisian. This allows him the ability to generate and control ice. He is a little taller and heavier than Samus, most likely equal to Ganondorf, and also stronger than Samus. He is the first of the corrupted hunters that you kill, and you gain the ice missile from him.

His moves would involve his ice attacks, his ice armor, and the ice claws on his hands. For those of you that haven't played the game and don't know him, he is similar to Frozone from the movie, The Incredibles. If you don't know who that is, then look him up.

I would like to know what your feedback is on his odds, while he is a character that isn't very well known, the moves he uses in game, and his characteristics (size,abilities,etc..) fall into the standards of Smash.

I will upload a proposed move list later today, when I have more time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nice Frozone shout out.

Anyway, I would love to see more Ice moves. Ice Climbers are the only ones who utilize them, and even for them there aren't many. That being said, however, I do not find Rundas likely, mainly due to the competition he has with Ridley and Dark Samus. That, and he is not often requested.

Any chance you can throw together a moveset?

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Nice Frozone shout out.

Anyway, I would love to see more Ice moves. Ice Climbers are the only ones who utilize them, and even for them there aren't many. That being said, however, I do not find Rundas likely, mainly due to the competition he has with Ridley and Dark Samus. That, and he is not often requested.

Any chance you can throw together a moveset?
Later, when i have more time, but most characters have some made up moves, and there are some characters who dont belong at all, so, you never no what might happen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wish M&S would close this one too.

Rundas is balls.
Although a Rundas thread already existed before this thread, the creator of the other thread had problems setting it up. I decided to lock that thread so that we could redo the Rundas discussions, without all the forum support questions that occurred.

Here are the on-topic posts from the old thread, just for posterity...

[collapse=Old Thread Posts]
bombers14 said:
For everyone who played metroid prime 3 you should know rundas and im guessing he was one of your favorites. He might not be to well known but he would make a great addition for ssb4 even if he has a very very very little chance but if he gets enough support you never know.

For the people that are going to see he's dead which he is he could still be in another game like a prequel or something.​

UPDATE CHECK OUT HIS MUSIC THEME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMFLquJeCc
and his parts in the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5c8M7hs-U

SPECIAL MOVES

up B- shoot ice below causing him to slide up for a limited amount of time
side B- kind of like fox he speeds on ice below him like a quick charge
down B- ice explodes beneath him hurting people around him
B- shoots ice beams (held down long enough causes freezing)

SMASHES

up smash- swings his ice staff up
sides- hits them like falco by crossing his arms and swipes at them
down smash- twirls his staff in a fast motion

STANDARD

A- headbut
tilt sides- light staff swing
tilt down- kicks at knees
tilt up- uppercut punch
running- pushes his staff out torwards you

GRAB

grab up- pickes you up with one hand and just throws you straight up
grab behind- throws you behind him and shooting and ice block at you
grab forward- throws you infront of him
grab down- throws you down shooting ice on you for a limited amount of time

FINAL SMASH

rises to the left part of the screen and shoots blocks at you while he is untouchable

That was my first time so probably wasn't the best
MelMoe said:
I love Rundus. He's an awesome character. It's a shame he was killed. He will most likely never be in a Metroid game again. As much as I would want him as a playable character, his chances are slim to none.
Oasis_S said:
I hate Rundas since I've seen some (dumb) people say (seriously) that he had a better chance than Ridley. His design is also pretty crappy anyway.
Venus of the Desert Bloom said:
Personally, I'd prefer Weavel or Spire than Rundas. And I'd be damned if he got in before Ridley or Dark
Samus.

:phone:
AetherEch0s said:
Prefer the superior ice being.

Not that either have a chance with Ridley, Anthony and Dark Samus around.
Wizzrobe said:
Same here, but I support any Metroid hunter since I like them all basically.
DakotaBonez said:
I like the Idea of a character with lots of freezing attacks.
[/collapse]

Anyway, I've never played any of the Metroid Prime titles, so I can't say much about Rundas.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Although a Rundas thread already existed before this thread, the creator of the other thread had problems setting it up. I decided to lock that thread so that we could redo the Rundas discussions, without all the forum support questions that occurred.

Anyway, I've never played any of the Metroid Prime titles, so I can't say much about Rundas.
On what you said, but not related to Rundas, maybe we could get a Sticky for a Forum Support thread here? Many of the new members flock here, so I think it would be beneficial, especially seeing how common those issues are around here with the new members.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
His moveset would use most of the ice attacks he has in game.

Special Attacks
  • Neutral B- Charges up ball/spike of ice that he shoots out of his hands, most damage would be near the start of where he fires and reduced damage the farther away as the ice melts. Range equal to Samus's blaster. When not charged, 5% damage at point blank to 1% at max range. Full charge, 25% at point blank to 5% max range. Knockback would also get smaller the farther away it was. The ice could even visibly get smaller.
  • Over B- Charges a ball of ice in his hands for two seconds before shooting it out as a small cloud. Freezes enemies when hit, range of Wolf's blaster, and freeze time would be anywhere from 1 second to 6 seconds depending on the opponents damage. 6% damage when hit.
  • Up B- Charges ice in his hand from 1-3 seconds, before shooting in onto the ground/air to create a path. The charge time will decide how far you can go. You would be able to direct it in any direction. Hitting an opponent would do minimal damage, most likely 3% before just continuing on.
  • Down B- Charges for 3 seconds before creating an ice armor, which would reduce damage, knockback, and the effects of items(like the lipstick) or abilities(Jigglypuff's Song) by 50%. The armor would last for 8 seconds while also increasing standard A attack damage by 50%, while reducing jump height and speed by 30%. It would also have a cool down of 20 seconds to avoid spamming the ability.
A Attacks
  • Standard A Combo- Punch, Punch, Kick. 3% damage on the punches and 5% damage on the kick.
  • Over A- Kicking at about waist height. 8% damage.
  • Down A- Sweeps his leg inches above the ground. 6% damage.
  • Up A- Punches above his head. 7% damage.
  • Sprinting A- Ramming Shoulder Charge. 7% damage.

Smash Attacks
  • Over Smash- Shoots a spike of ice out of his hand. 15% damage.
  • Down Smash- Two spikes of ice shoot out of the ground at 45 degree angles away from Rundas. 12% damage.
  • Up Smash- Raises his hands above his head. Ice comes out of his hands to hit the enemy. 14% damage.

Grapple Attacks
He would have a medium range grab range.
  • Pummel- He would punch them with his free hand. 3% damage.
  • Forward Throw- he ***** his arm back and throws them like a ball. 8% damage.
  • Up Throw- A pillar of ice knocks the opponent into the air. 7% damage.
  • Back Throw- Turns sideways and throws the enemy by crossing his arm across his chest. 5% damage.
  • Down Throw- Throws them on the ground and stomps on them. 10% damage.
Air Attacks
  • Neutral Air- Spins in the air and shoots ice shards out, multiple ice shards shoot out and each shard does 4% damage.
  • Forward Air- Punches down, like Mario and Ganondorf''s attack. Can Meteor Smash. 16% damage.
  • Down Air- Shoots a spike of ice out of his foot. 14% damage.
  • Back Air- Spins in the air and shoots a spike out of his hand before spinning back around. 13% damage.

It would most likely need tweaking with the damages. I would think he would play as a below average speed but an above average strength. Not extremely slow but not overly powerful. Medium jump height and speed.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Rundas getting in is about as likely as Anthony getting in: Not likely at all.

Rundas has only been in one Metroid game and was not a main character. He was a nice guy and a fun boss (Especially if you don't use hypermode), but he's not a big Metroid character in the way Ridley and Dark Samus are. He's not even from the most recent Metroid game, so he's not just a flavor of the month, he's an outdated flavor of the month.

That said, Rundas is one of the character who would just have a cool (Heh) moveset. All of his moves from Metroid Prime 3 translate pretty well to Smash, and it'd be really fun to play with him. He's at least better than Anthony in that regard. So if the character had a chance before hell freezes over, I'd be demanding him like there was no tomorrow.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I would want Rundas as the character after Ridley, but that isn't going to happen...
Shame, Rundas was cool. :smirk:

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
And I know there was already another thread about Rundas, but i felt it was unorganized and clumsy.
Well there isnt many characters that could come from metroid that dont have people trying to poke holes in the character.
People say Ridley is too big, that Dark Samus would be a clone, everyone just wants to say no.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Rundas should totally be an Assist Trophy. He actually would fit in rather well, since his attack patterns fit with the other Assist Trophy attack patterns. And it's not like Assist Trophies have to be important characters; Jeff and Hammer Bros aren't exactly important.

As an Assist Trophy, Rundas would pop out and begin Icemanning back and forth above the stage and conjuring icicles that home in. Occasionally, he will raise a giant ice crystal from the ground (Which serves as a destructible obstacle with 15% health) and begin shooting icicles from the top of that.

Hitting him hard will knock him off the ice flow or ice crystal (Destroying the ice crystal will do the same thing), but he'll get mad, enter hyper mode, and begin spamming ice blasts in the direction of his attacker. If his target is KO'd or 5 seconds pass without hitting somebody, he'll leave hyper mode and begin ice surfing again.

The trophy's duration would be about 25 seconds. He has terrible KO power, but his icicles rack up nice damage, and his ice blasts can immobilize opponents like that one freezing item.

But Sakurai's cold, dead heart probably will continue to ignore the Metroid Prime franchise.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
On what you said, but not related to Rundas, maybe we could get a Sticky for a Forum Support thread here? Many of the new members flock here, so I think it would be beneficial, especially seeing how common those issues are around here with the new members.
It would be great if we made a thread that shows an outline or guidelines in constructing a professional looking support thread (pictures, information, move sets, etc). That Mero, Pero, and Luippadusomethingorwhatever thread that was made and closed was an example. New members do tend to come to that area of the forums now and don't pay attention to the forum etiquette.

A for Rundas, I don't see him likely. He would be an interesting addition but both Ridley and Dark Samus outlcasses him. I do see some interesting attacks designed around him though and I am interested in what you come up with, JohnMonster.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Great moveset! Better than fighting with a random staff like the previous moveset.

But, I don't like how all his specials require charge time. I suggest that his up special should have a set duration & distance & not be determined by charge. I also suggest side B be an "ice mist" instead of a ball, & have shorter range & no charge time.
EDIT: Or wait...that's like IceClimbers. Instead maybe ice could travel along the ground & cause freezing like right before his fight in Prime 3.

I like the way how u incorporated everything from Prime 3 into this moveset, once again, great job.

Would definitely love to see him playable, but he has bad chances. He would make a nice assist trophy.

EDIT: : Don't know if u meant to leave off the final smash, but the ice "eruption thing" when u encounter him before the fight could work.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I definitely support Rundas but not sure how good his chances are. Ridley is the most likely Metroid newcomer but I think Rundas would be a very good 2nd newcomer. And another thing is that He probably wouldn't be a clone like Dark Samus might be.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Great moveset! Better than fighting with a random staff like the previous moveset.

But, I don't like how all his specials require charge time. I suggest that his up special should have a set duration & distance & not be determined by charge. I also suggest side B be an "ice mist" instead of a ball, & have shorter range & no charge time.

I like the way how u incorporated everything from Prime 3 into this moveset, once again, great job.

Would definitely love to see him playable, but he has bad chances. He would make a nice assist trophy.

Like i said it would require tweaking, but the standard B would be a charge shot, but the Up B would be like Diddy's Rocket, it requires charge to go farther.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Would any of the Specials require a cool-down?

Perhaps we've reached the tip of the iceberg with these puns...

D

Deleted member

Rundas fails to meet the first criteria as he is unpopular and has less potential for appeal than Ridley and Dark Samus.

No shot in hell.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whether Rundas gets in as even somethin' as minor as an assist trophy or not, I would kinda hope they'd make his theme selectable in the Metroid stages at least. Was easily the best music Prime 3 had to offer.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
You mean a snowball's chance in hell, its not that he is unpopular, he is just not very known, i mean everyone knows ridley, he was in every metroid game, if you played the prime trilogy then you know Dark Samus, but Rundas was only in one game.
But he has the potential for a moveset, unlike some characters who's moves were pulled out of nowhere, he also meets size requirements and at most would require just a tiny size down.
So its not a question of how could he work, its a question of being known.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If we were taking another metroid hunter, I would prefer one from prime hunters, maybe kanden or trace, or the rock guy, or sylas.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Whether Rundas gets in as even somethin' as minor as an assist trophy or not, I would kinda hope they'd make his theme selectable in the Metroid stages at least. Was easily the best music Prime 3 had to offer.
Agreed. Rundas' theme is majestic and awesome, and it says a lot that they chose his theme for the trailer for Metroid Prime trilogy instead of the Metroid Prime 3 theme (which is awesome, but not as good).

Rundas fails to meet the first criteria as he is unpopular and has less potential for appeal than Ridley and Dark Samus.

No shot in hell.
I'd say he is rather popular for his small role, but he's definitely not a powerhouse like Ridley or Dark Samus.

But that doesn't mean we should just let this topic freeze up and die. :bee: Let's all take a chill pill, shake off this frigid cynicism, and just hope for the best.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
We should try and melt everyone's arguments on why he wouldnt get in and focus on making sure that Sakurai keeps a cool head when choosing the roster.

I don't see how it doesnt fit the criteria, i think metroid prime fans would like to play as Rundas, and he fits the other 3 criteria

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I would much prefer Rundas, or even Gandreyda or Ghor, to Dark Samus.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Honestly, I would much prefer Rundas, or even Gandreyda or Ghor, to Dark Samus.
Rundas is the only one out of the three hunters with a moveset extracting enotely from the game, and while my support list is Ridley and Dark Samus tied for first, then Rundas. Many people have issues with Ridley being too big or Dark Samus being a clone, and while this are not true, Rundas fits the four criteria set by Sakurai,
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.
So all in all, Rundas could have a shot if enough people learn about him. His ice cold skills will freeze his opponents in their tracks.

D

Deleted member

I love how SSBF decides for himself whether characters meet the first criteria or not.

Seems to me, that even if he isn't popular (which is NOT the same as unpopular; unpopular is negative reaction, not a lack of reaction), he can easily gain popularity like Roy did through Smash.
I mean, an awesome alien thing that skates on ice like Frozone and Iceman, and uses ice based attacks would certainly bring chills down spines.
But of course, the downside is, he can only get popular if Ridley makes it first (or just as long as Ridley is in it), because anyone else and no Ridley would cause some backlash.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Alternatively, we could have Gandreyda, and have her use the skills of Rundas and Ghor (and "Sammy", perhaps) alongside her own... But I would prefer Rundas by himself.

D

Deleted member

By unpopular, I am referring to that most people don't want to see Rundas in Smash. The Metroid rep most everyone wants to see is either Ridley or Dark Samus and given that both can meet the first criteria (whereas Rundas does not) and that they also meet the three other criteria (thought whenever or not Sakurai will see the same way is a different question), they will gain priority over Rundas.

And I honestly don't want to see Rundas in Smash. I'd be pretty mad if that was the case since I don't see why a relatively unknown character like him should be in over Ridley and Dark Samus. Then again, I have not played a Metroid title to completion (only briefly played the GB Metroid game), so the only characters from that franchise I care about being in Smash are Samus (duh) and to a lesser extend, Dark Samus.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Of either of those two, I would much prefer Ridley over Dark Samus. At least he looks different.

If Metroid managed two newcomers, I would prefer Ridley and some other Hunter (preferably one of the Corruption trio).

D

Deleted member

Wanting someone more =/= Don't want to see.

For example, I want to see Waluigi in Smash as a Mario Newcomer the most, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see say, Bowser Jr. It just means that if it were one or the other, I'd take Waluigi. Now, if BOTH were available, cool beans.

And really, if Roy can qualify as meeting the first criteria over how he fared in Melee, who's to say the same can't be said for Rundas (again, provided it isn't at the expense of Ridley)
This is part of the reason why the "criteria" is a bunch of BOLOGNA [/heavy]. Since there are numerous counters to them and people interpret them in their own way.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
This is part of the reason why the "criteria" is a bunch of BOLOGNA [/heavy]. Since there are numerous counters to them and people interpret them in their own way.
Agreed. The first, second, and third criteria have been ignored for previous Smash games.

We have had unpopular characters like ROB, Ice Climbers, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus. Hell, Roy had pretty much no fanbase because he was from an unreleased game.

We have had non-unique characters. They're called clones. Some of them were kept between games (Hey Luigi, how yah' doin'?).

We have had characters who were completely unsuited to a fighting game. I'm of course talking about our glorious Captain Falcon. Yes, he's a bounty hunter. I doubt that allows his arms to light on fire.

The fourth criteria... I don't even know what it's supposed to be about.

Really, it's difficult to tell if a character is "likely" or "unlikely." You can bet your britches that nobody would have anticipated Zero-Suit Samus if she were not in Brawl's first trailer, simply because she just plays like a gimped Samus in Metroid Zero Mission and is unimportant anywhere else. She doesn't fit the criteria of being popular, of being unique, or of fitting Smash Bros (Because she's a stealth-oriented character with no lethal weapons). But then Sakurai just pulled a laser whip out of nowhere and made her a character.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
The first criteria was always ignored, when people played Metroid before Brawl thought of Zero Suit Samus they thought of a character with no health, armor, and weapons besides a tiny nonlethal stun pistol with a range of about 5 feet.

Rundas brings a snowstorm of abilities and moves. So its possible for a moveset.
He is unique, they only characters that use ice are the ice climbers,Lucas, and game&watch's hammer. But there is no all ice characters.

He would fit into the style because his special moves are already there, and most A attacks are just punches and kicks anyway. He might be fractionally too tall, but then Bowser is the size of a building and Olimar is 3/4 of an inch tall.

Balance is even a question. Meta Knight sure as much didnt care about balance. He would play as a slower but stronger character, not as slow as bowser or ganondorf but not as strong as them. He might be a little heavier due to the ice.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And really, if Roy can qualify as meeting the first criteria over how he fared in Melee, who's to say the same can't be said for Rundas (again, provided it isn't at the expense of Ridley)
Technically Roy was included in Melee before there was even any opinions, considering his game had not been released at the time. I think the "criteria" is Sakurai's way of saying "don't harass me about characters. I call the shots."

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Except when he calls the shots, the most wanted characters are left out, like Ridley
As always, Ridley is a priority Metroid character, then Dark Samus, then Rundas, but DS and Ridley will always have trying to stop they from getting in.
I am all out of puns.

D

Deleted member

Technically Roy was included in Melee before there was even any opinions, considering his game had not been released at the time. I think the "criteria" is Sakurai's way of saying "don't harass me about characters. I call the shots."
Precisely. So to try to claim someone doesn't meet criteria based on personal belief and to twist the criteria in favor of those of personal want and against those of personal distaste is foolish.
Sakurai ultimately calls the shots, and unless you are Sakurai, you cannot make claims on who he believes fits criteria unless he is outwardly direct (such as the case with Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Animal Crosser, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom