• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Random Character Rep: Ditto For SSB4 Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Now, I know this sounds crazy. "Why Ditto? This is a silly and absurd choice for a character!" At first yes it does sound like a horrible choice. But, since Namco is helping with the development of ssb4 I had an idea that could be interesting that Namco already has done before in their fighting games, playing a mimicry character. Mimicry characters were pretty much the random slot in the character roster. The Tekken series' Mokujin and Soul Calibur 2 and 3's Charade are two examples:

How Ditto could work:

"Capable of copying an opponent's genetic code to instantly transform itself into a duplicate of the enemy." Before a match starts as the announcer is counting down "3, 2, 1", Ditto will come out of a poke ball. But instead of looking like Ditto it'll look like a random character. Everything about the character will already be copied so it would be like choosing random.

"But why have ditto at all while you could just pick random and call it a day?"

"When it sleeps, it changes into a stone to avoid being attacked."

Several things about the Pokemon Ditto can be used while still being the random slot. For starters Ditto's other abilities such as not being able to hold it's form well while laughing and turning into stone when it sleeps. When you use the down taunt Ditto will chuckle a little. When this happens Ditto's form it's copying will start to look a little pinker and more glossy, shiny, and translucent.

The side taunts will be a louder, slightly longer outburst of laugher, which will have a bigger impact on Ditto's appearance. The up taunt will be Ditto hysterically laughing, which will make the player look like a ditto version of the player(example: Mario with Ditto's face and a glossy jello looking pink texture all over his body). Over time Ditto's colors will form back to how the player's were.

Ditto's shield will be a bubble like everyone else and will copy the character's shield properties as well. It would fall asleep and turn into stone when you hold L or R with Z letters floating around it's head. The longer you hold your shield the more Z's appear, when your shield breaks then ditto will still look like it's sleeping. When you let go of shield Ditto will instantly wake up and it's body wont look like stone anymore.

Also Another thing Ditto would have that wouldn't be copied is it's the characters face and voice. When you pick Ditto as a character to play it will copy a random character perfectly. But when the match starts Ditto's face will morph back to it's normal face since it's now copying by memory. Which could be creepy but hilarious because you or your opponent would fight with a face like the first pic posted of Ditto and this pic as well:

When ditto dies, it will still play like the character it's copying. The reason this would work better then being another random character when you re-spawn, kind of like how Mokujin switches move sets, is because it would suck starting off as character like Ganondorf then die and re-spawn as Ice Climbers (vice versa), that's a game changer.

Ditto's colors:

Pink (red team)
Light Blue (Shiny Ditto)(blue team)
Lime Green (green team)
Yellow
Purple
Orange

The whole idea about this is Ditto being Nintendo's Mokujin or Charade like character. I think Namco is the only company that has characters in a fighting game that mimic a players move set while being the random character slot. And ironically, Namco are helping with smash 4's development so it would be awesome if something like this was in Smash Bros. in general. It would add some flavor to basic random and as a bonus we get another Pokemon that could be the ultimate clone character :troll:, but in a good way.

The problem I can see with Ditto as a character would be these following questions:

1) How popular is Ditto?

2) What if Ditto becomes a wasted character slot because it would be a Pokemon rep even though it's main purpose would be the random slot?

3) Would a Pokemon be cut for the ultimate clone character?

4) Is Ditto unique?

5) Who would support Ditto (besides me)?

This is just an idea, but instead of having a poke ball icon as Pokemon rep what if you give Ditto a question mark symbol? To represent for being random but it's winning theme could be a silly/weird sounding version of the Pokemon theme? Metaknight has a rock version of the Kirby theme so maybe the same idea could work for Ditto?

For now, discuss...

:phone:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
You do know this is a ANTI-Clone site right? lol
I've think I've heard just about every pokemon suggestion there can be on this site, so this one doesn't suprise me one bit, Ditto as a character the way you described his copying ability would really put the player in a disadvantaged if they don't know how to play with the character it turned into, I put ditto at the bottom of the totem poll right under the gravel for pokemon reps

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
That is the scariest picture of Ditto I've ever seen.

Ditto should be a pokeball pokemon that clones its user & attack opponents temporary.

Brilliant!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Ditto as a character the way you described his copying ability would really put the player in a disadvantaged if they don't know how to play with the character it turned into
Good point. It would be a disadvantage for players for not knowing how to play a specific character. My idea is starting to sound like it would cater more to the players that would be good with the majority of the roster. And the Anti- Clone thing, my bad. -_-

I was actually thinking about this the other day and I like the idea, but I don't think it should be that complex. Just something to give the "random" button some personality. Simply giving the random character Ditto transforms into the "Ditto face" is plenty. Maybe an exclusive taunt like yours where he laughs, turns a little pink and translucent, and then transforms back would be alright but anymore work seems like too much time to put into a "mimic" character. I also like the idea of Ditto having his own trophies and challenges like the user Junahu suggested here. Though I don't like the idea of it only transforming into a player on stage; that kind of ruins the randomness of Ditto.

...Though it would be really weird to have a Ditto Pokemon Trainer throwing out a Ditto Charizard. That's like Pokemon inception.

@VictoryIsMudkipz
The challange is the point. Anyone can be good with a few characters, but willingly jumping into a fight with a random character and winning shows that you are skilled at the game overall.

jigglover

Smash Lord
No.
It would have to be a pokemon rep, some people might not know it's a pokemon, and what would that look like on a tier list. A: Pikachu, Yoshi, Ditto (every character on the game,) Luigi.
I'm sorry but it really can not work, stick with the random button, and if you really want him to be a character, then you could start talking about him being a Poke-ball Pokemon like he was planned to be in Brawl but was ditched because of difficulties. If they can't make him a supporting character in brawl, they can't make him a main character in SSB4.

cloud9

Smash Cadet
I think Ditto would be interesting competitively if he just copied the opponent. Being a mirror matchup against everyone in the game would make him very unique.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I mainly see Ditto having a cameo appearance. In Melee, Ditto represented the "Random" icon for the "Winner Out" and "Loser Out" tournaments, which seems like an appropriate cameo for it.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
What if he would copy absolutly everything exept the Final Smash,and have his own,Mew.(you know,since he is a failed atempt at cloning Mew)

@Jig:I don't think "Random Characters" ever even get on any tier list...

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Sakurai would include ditto at all for the next smash. Heck, he had a hard time making the thing do its job in melee and just gave him up in brawl.

D

Deleted member

What if he would copy absolutly everything exept the Final Smash,and have his own,Mew.(you know,since he is a failed atempt at cloning Mew)

@Jig:I don't think "Random Characters" ever even get on any tier list...
Ditto is not a failed clone of Mew. That is only a fan theory.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Arguably a plausible one, but a theory all the same.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd love to see Ditto as was originally planned in Melee. If they manage to get it working this time, it could be one of the most creative Pokeball Pokemon in the game. Anything more than that (like being a playable character), I'm against. Smash really doesn't need a mimic character.

jigglover

Smash Lord
MyPantIsGone (not literally, the guy's name,) I'm stating that making Ditto the random button would give 'Random' an entity and would therefore need to be included on lists.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mew can learn any TM, HM, or move tutor technique, but Smeargle's really the one who can learn any move. Still only see Mew and Ditto listed as far as being able to learn Transform though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mew normally learns Transform when leveling up though (which level kinda varies due to the differences in gens).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Figures whenever I troll I'm dead wrong. Oh well, haha.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I thought that at first, but then I found this:

From Bulbapedia: "Sketch cannot be used to copy Selfdestruct, Explosion, Struggle, Transform, or Metronome."

So no.
That's only for the Generation 2 titles; in the later generations, all of those moves, except for Struggle, can be Sketched. Oddly, in Pokemon Stadium 2, there's a slim chance that in the Challenge Cup, you'll get a Smeargle that knows Explosion or Selfdestruct.

Anyway, with that said, we should get back to discussing Ditto.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
YES! My trolling attempt was recovered.

That being said, Ditto could work as the random button of sorts, but only if they have a ton of extra time.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Ditto was meant to be in the series since Melee, copying and helping the character that summoned him.
Problem is: if all four players chose Ice Climbers and all find Ditto... 16 chars on the screen at the same time would be a ***** for the machine to menage.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
14 then! 2x4 player chars + 2x3 Ditto chars.
Still a *****. But maybe not for the hardware of the Wii U.
I mean: Compare the max number of sprites on screen of Paper Mario for Nintendo 64 with the max number of sprites on screen of Paper Mario for Game Cube. It's huuuge!
And I'm expecting the same increase for this new edition of Super Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Max number of characters able on screen at a time in Brawl: 11.
Multi-Man Brawl Co-op, both players Ice Climbers.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
That makes no sense, what if you wanted to switch to a different enemy but you were stuck as luigi when you want to be Ike, Peach instead of Meta Knight.
Besides, if you wanted to have a copy character, Gandrayda from Metroid Prime 3 would be better and she would have her own combat moves as well as those she copied.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Should just be a pokeball pokemon or nothing at all. No point in adding a character whose unique ability is NOT being unique.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
They could just make Ditto replace Random. Sure, not entirely true to his character, but would be the easiest character inclusion ever.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've just been scrolling back, looking at what suggestions have popped up. I've just commented on those I thought interesting.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Used revive on this thread. New concept.

Ditto, the Transform Pokémon. Ditto has the ability to reconstruct its entire cellular structure into whatever it sees.
My idea for ditto is it transforms into different pokemon for each attack, possibly borrowing from pokeball pokemon. Ditto wont fully transform into the pokemon. He'll take their shape, but remain clear purple, and retain dittos face.
Specials:
B- Pikachu- (because) - Thunder Jolt (pikachu's B move)​
Side B- Cubone- Bonemerang- Throws its bone... like a boomerang... yeah.​
DownB- Wobbuffet- Counter- When hit ditto takes damage, but the opponent gets double the damage he/she inflicted.​
UpB- Pidgeot- Big flap of its wings, and glide.​
Jump- Pidgey,​
Second jump pidgeotto
Dash- Hitmontop - Does a spin attack across the stage​
Shield- Gardeviour - smaller version of the pokeball version in brawl​
Final Smash- Togepi – Metronome – Random attack from some of the pokeball pokemon.​
Jab:
A attack- Eevee- Headbutt​
AA attack - Leafeon leaf blade- basically headbutt, with a grass effect and a cutting action​
AAA - Glaceon Ice fang - bite attack​
TiltFtilt -Espeon- Swift- Stars are sent shooting​
Utilt - Sylveon - Dazzling Gleam - Bright flash of light emits from ditto hurting enemies close to it​
Dtilt -Umbreon Pursuitdoes more damage if the opponent is facing away from you.​
Side Smash-
Down Smash-​
Up Smash- Jolteon- Pin missile- Spikes sent out all around​
Down Smash- Vapoereon- Hydro pump- same as squirtle​
Forward smash- Flareon- Fire spin- A circle of fire is sent out​
Air
A Air - Weezing - smog -emits a poisonous gas, can be held for a short time and hit multiple times.​
Dair - Darmanitan- Zen mode- basically kirbys down B? I dunno.​
Bair- Beautifly/Dustux- Gust - Blows the opponent away.​
Fair- Bisharp - Metal Claw​
Grabs
Stays as ditto, wraps around opponent and squeezes, and other stuff.​
Maybe Cofagrigus, or Machamp. All the extra arms have potential.​
Taunts:
Down - Subsitute - Turns into the little substitute doll​
Forward - Missingo - Ditto is having troubles remembering what a pokemon looks like...​
Up- Turns into one of these-
Colors:​
Purple
Red
Blue
Green
Yellow
Gray/silver
Black
Pros:
Large moveset possibilities​
Wouldn't have to put a lot of detail into the character model​
Can borrow from pokeball pokemon​
Can be a way to include popular pokemon that could be hard to include/are constantly overshadowed by new ones (eevee and eeveelutions, pokemon movie mascots that become irrelevant in year ect)​
Cons:
Lots of models​
Competition​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom