• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wes, the ultimate gen 3 rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Gen 3 in Pokemon is lacking a rep and needs one, my first choice was Plusle and Minun, but a great idea struck me, Wes! He could represent home console Pokemon games too, so it won't entirely be about gen 3, but I think it would be great.
For those of you who are unsure, Wes is the main protagonist for the game-cube release, Pokemon Colosseum, it is the first Pokemon game with a proper story line (not just defeat gym leaders with pokemon you catch) and was well received inter-nationally.

He starts off at the beginning of the game with an Umbreon and Espeon, and so should have those two in his roster, but with so many shadow Pokemon to choose from, who should the third character be? Well, I think it should be the most memorable catch on the game for many of the players, the legendary tree! Sudowoodo! (Spoilers alert, if you're now going to track down the game and play it, then don't read this little bit.)
Sudowoodo was the first shadow Pokemon you catch from a 'boss,' this boss is Mirror B. Mirror B has his own music for when he battles and uses only the lotad evolution line (which is understandable since they end up as Ludicolo who love todance.) Mirror B is all about dancing, he puts on some great music when he fights, and his pokemon are about dancing as well, so, naturally his first Pokemon would be the dancing tree, Sudowoodo.

There has been an idea for there to be a Hairyama instead of Sudowoodo, I think it's a good idea, but he's not as unique as my dancing tree! While it does have some very unique moves, like seismic toss, which could go very nicely in Brawl, so here's my Proposal, we do a vote. That simple. Who gets more votes, the dancing tree or the sumo wrestler? I'll say how many for each character below, the vote will last for five days and you can vote once per day, but can vote on differing days.
Sudowoodo: 1
Hairyama: 0
Now, I'm sure there are people who would prefer and XD gales of darkness rep, but Michael doesn't really look as good, he's about 12, and is basically a shorter, red-haired version of Wes who doesn't look as good. XD also, though this might just be me, but XD doesn't really seem to have a story-line like Colosseum, it's much more of a capture shadow Pokemon and purify them than an explore the Orre region game. On this note, there aren't really Pokemon that you can pick out from the rest of crowd for him to use. The first one would be Delcatty, since you get her from the first boss fight, Lovrina. but like the colosseum reps she is gen 2. The second would have to be Lunatone, since you get him from the Second boss fight, and he is in fact a gen 3 Pokemon. The third boss fight actually has two shadow Pokemon, so there would be no point choosing one since they're both actually from gen 1 as well. You can't pick another shadow Pokemon from the rest of the crowd, so you may as well pick them out of a hat, and I don't think Sakurai is fond of this. You may be asking, why not Eevee? He does start with him, but it's inevitable that you evolve him the minute you get into Gateon port, that's after your first fight, and before your second, so, again, you'd have to pick one of the eeveelutions out of a hat (excluding glaceon and leafeon,) so really, that's you r dilemma, the game. I actually love the game though, it just doesn't have as much of a storyline as Colosseum, (my third one broke.)
Thanks for reading this!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The ultimate gen 3 rep -- uses gen 2 pokemon

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Loved Pokemon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. Sadly, it seems like most people didn't, and Nintendo has shied away from making reference to them in the past(I don't think they even got stickers in Brawl). Playable Wes with Espeon/Umbreon tag team would be totally awesome, but somehow I don't think it will happen.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I din't think it would be completely likely or anything of the sorts, I just felt it a really good theory and wanted to get it out there. I think that's kind of what you said anyway shinpichu.
I still play XD a lot, it turns out that I am unable to get tot he top of Mt. battle XD, I get to 99 a lot though! Sadly, my 3rd Colosseum broke, shows how well I looked after it, it's weird, most of my games don't break but colo keeps on doing it...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would a trainer need to represent generation 3? The pokemon have always mattered more than the trainers

jigglover

Smash Lord
It also represents the home console Pokemon games. As stated above, I just think it a good theory. So does shinpichu.
Going to bed now, I'll catch up in the morning (my time.)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I agree that Wes would be badass, more than just about any other trainer, but I don't think it'll happen either. :(

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even if he was a part of Gen III, using Gen II Pokemon would really be a bad way to rep the 3rd gen, if that was your goal. Especially since Wes wouldn't be doing any of the fighting. Plus Nintendo really doesn't seem to want to showcase home console Pokemon games.

Personally I don't want any more Pokemon Trainers, but if any trainer had to rep Gen III it should probably be one from the main games and, you know, use actual 3rd gen Pokemon. I think Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken is the best and most popular combo (hell, I think it would be the best combo of a new Pokemon Trainer from any gen).

But no to Wes. He looks cool, but I don't think he'd be a good choice for Smash.

D

Deleted member

Only if Wes were to get Hariyama.
(Makuhita is the first Shadow Pokemon you can snag)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Even if not as a "Gen 3 rep", he'd still be cool. Maybe he (or Micheal)could a trophy, the 3D games deserve SOME sort of nod.

It's really funny, most of the trophies in Brawl were of characters from Wii or Gamecube games so that they could recycle models, yet the characters from the 3D games got completely ignored when it came to trophies.

Only if Wes were to get Hariyama.
(Makuhita is the first Shadow Pokemon you can snag)
If he used Hariyama/Makuhita and his Espeon & Umbreon he could do double duty for Gen 2 and 3. That would be something.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No one was denying Gale of Darkness's existence. It's just Michael's a younger less cool version of Wes.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Please read the OP again, I think I've finished it but it will likely keep getting edits (especially with the votes.) I'm going to see if this character is actually well-recieved before I make a move-set, and the vote I started is needed for the moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The way I see it, you believe that even if he uses Gen II Pokemon, he'd be a Gen III rep because the trainer is Gen III. Well, what about Pokemon Trainer that we have now? His design comes from FireRed/Leafgreen, a Gen III game, with some differences from the Gen I design. Plus, he could represent remakes just like how Wes would represent home consoles. The worst part is, while you follow seemingly this logic, you also want Brawl Trainer removed. I don't get it.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Opossum, everyone knows that the brawl trainer is going to be removed (well, not knows but they pretty much agree he will,) so they discuss who will replace him, generaly this is another Pokemon trainer like Wes.
MASG, I can't get pictures into posts for some reason. Copy and pasting doesn't work.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Opossum, everyone knows that the brawl trainer is going to be removed (well, not knows but they pretty much agree he will,) so they discuss who will replace him, generaly this is another Pokemon trainer like Wes.
MASG, I can't get pictures into posts for some reason. Copy and pasting doesn't work.
Actually, from what I've seen most people want no cuts whatsoever. Hate to break it to you, but there's really no good reason to remove the Brawl trainer, and trying to replace him with someone no where near as popular would leave a bad taste in many people's mouths.

jigglover

Smash Lord
They might not want PT removed (as I said) but they want him to have different Pokemon, and he may as well be a different Pokemon trainer just so that it seem the same.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They might not want PT removed (as I said) but they want him to have different Pokemon, and he may as well be a different Pokemon trainer just so that it seem the same.
Not everyone wants that either. Honestly, the only ones that do are the ones who mistakenly believe that Sakurai cares about generational representation. The Gen I starters are to this day some of the most popular Pokemon. Removing them would be a slap in the face to anyone who's used them, be it in Brawl or Pokemon.

The only trainer that people as a whole are suggesting to replace him is a Hoenn trainer using Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken. Now, I can see that, with all three being popular, but even then, many add that as an additional trainer. Even if they did replace them, the Hoenn starters dwarf in comparison to the Kanto ones in popularity.

Even then, like I said, Sakurai cares about characters, not generations. This is evident because in Melee, Pichu wasn't even originally planned: he was only added due to the extra time for last-minute clones. If he cared about generations, Plusle and Minun would have made it over Brawl trainer, as well. But you know what? Brawl trainer was a better character in his eyes, and many would agree.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I was saying that many people do want that. I play PT in brawl AND I actually sometimes go on my red version, and I don't feel like getting rid of PT would be a bad thing. Many of my friends agree. Also Plusle and Minun were cut due to early difficulties so Nintendo actually replaced them with PT, so Sakurai did think Plusle and Minun before PT but they found difficulties with them.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Although Wes is really awesome, I feel it would be easiest to sandwich a gen 2,3,4 pokemon on a team and then with Zororak we'd have one from each generation. If we DO, do Wes though having Wes be from 3rd gen but use 2nd gen pokemon gives 2nd gen the rep it so much deserves while also kind of giving 3rd gen a rep.

jigglover

Smash Lord
That's true (above). Not only that, but Nintendo could easily keep Lucario as a gen 4 rep and not have Victini or something. Who's to say Mewtwo has to get in as well? He probably will but just in case...

D

Deleted member

"Many people"?
We need statistics, otherwise it's just like that guy claiming that "many people want Mickey Mouse in Smash" without any proof.

D

Deleted member

Not a good enough statistic, as 98% of the time, people pull percentages out of their rear. (this one included)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That also doesn't give how many friends you asked. Say you have 10 friends. 92% of your 10 friends that you asked, for example, wouldn't really be a big thing. Not to mention the mathematical impossibility of my example, but you get what I mean.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Oh for god sake. For one, that was a troll, for two, this is about Wes, I don't see a plea for statistics on any other thread, and for three, can we actually talk about the things he might do if he got in, reasons why he shouldn't do the vote in the OP etc.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you're saying things such as "many people support Pokemon Trainer to be replaced with *insert rep here*," then people want to know where it's from. In other words, more sensational claims should be backed up, or your credibility will diminish.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Look one post above your post Opossum. If it's actually a major point that I saw Nintendo say on the internet or something, then I'll find a link. But do you really want a statistic of speculation? Lets get back to talking about Wes if we can.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I saw what you were saying, and this is still about Wes, so it is on topic. The point is, what you are suggesting is unlikely to happen because most people, from what I've seen here and elsewhere, do not want any cuts whatsoever, Pokemon Trainer included.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm saying that we can keep Pokemon Trainer s a different trainer. It will basically be the same with pixels assembled in a different fashion with different Pokemon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But that's what I'm saying. No matter how you slice it, Gen 1 starters are among the most popular and remembered Pokemon, and removing them cause quite a backlash.

jigglover

Smash Lord
It's strange how melee was the most successful game on the game-cube without gen 1 starters, since they're that good. Having the same three Pokemon in the next game would be kind of silly of Sakurai to be honest, since the PT is basically an excuse for 3 pokemon reps to get in for the slot of one, so he should change it for more representation. This is about Pt, lets get back to Wes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's strange how melee was the most successful game on the game-cube without gen 1 starters, since they're that good. Having the same three Pokemon in the next game would be kind of silly of Sakurai to be honest, since the PT is basically an excuse for 3 pokemon reps to get in for the slot of one, so he should change it for more representation. This is about Pt, lets get back to Wes.
And you know who he had instead? Mewtwo. Easily the most popular Pokemon at that time. It was at least a good reason to exclude them. Plus, maybe he couldn't figure out the Trainer idea until Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom