• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The FABULOUS superhero: Captain Rainbow!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think this guy is more the Viewtiful Joe of Nintendo

But just because he meets the conditions doesn't mean he's likely at all. Captain Rainbow's game did terribly (even though I bought it :awesome:), and he probably won't be back aside from possible future cameos. Which is a shame, considering his game was pretty unique and I enjoyed all the old forgotten Nintendo characters.

I remember hearing somewhere that Sakurai liked him though, so maybe he'll be an AT or something (which would be awesome), but sadly I think that's the most he'll ever get in Smash.

Oh, and nice box art btw. Makes me wish the game had come out in English.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Wait this game came out in the USA? I want it!

I think he would fit in great since his game is also another Nintendo crossover. He helps characters like Little Mac, the NES war infantry, and Birdo (known as Kathrine). He could have a costume change like Zelda.

My only problem with him is that he's another Yo-yo weilder. With Ness and Mike Jones I feel that weapon is being over used.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wait this game came out in the USA? I want it!
Nah, that's just a well done fake boxart. It was planned for Europe at one point, but due to poor sales in Japan it got canceled.

I think a fan translation is being done on it, but I have no idea what the current status on that is.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
@Hypercat-Z: Can you try to improve the primary post a bit? It's not exactly detailed enough.
You mean by adding moves and specials? Unfortunately i had no chace of getting the game, I just know it by fame, so I don't know how his attacks looks like. Ergo: I can't make up moves based on them.
I felt I HAD to make a roster for him since nobody didn't.
I don't see the fact his game wasn't popular outside japan a big problem. Neither Fire Emblem was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't see the fact his game wasn't popular outside japan a big problem. Neither Fire Emblem was.
He didn't get a game outside Japan because inside Japan his game wasn't popular and sold pretty terribly. At least FE is really popular in its native country.

Who knows, maybe if he had gotten an international release, it would've done better elsewhere?
I doubt it though.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You mean by adding moves and specials? Unfortunately i had no chace of getting the game, I just know it by fame, so I don't know how his attacks looks like. Ergo: I can't make up moves based on them.
I felt I HAD to make a roster for him since nobody didn't.
There is a little something called Google and Youtube. Check it out and you might be surprised.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I found this interesting video about Captain Rainbow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So44IySYPws

It gives insight to the other characters in the game like...

Lip
Little Mac
Takamaru
and Birdo

There are more characters I'm just listing a few.
Its a good video to show why I want to play this game.

Also what's interesting about Captain Rainbow is that like Smash its a Nintendo crossover game. But unlike Smash which features All Stars Captain Rainbow features forgotten or bizzare Nintendo Characters.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
There is a little something called Google and Youtube. Check it out and you might be surprised.
You're right. I lurked on You-Tube and I found a moveset already done for him.
I just posted it.

Also what's interesting about Captain Rainbow is that like Smash its a Nintendo crossover game. But unlike Smash which features All Stars Captain Rainbow features forgotten or bizzare Nintendo Characters.
That's the incipt of the game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't have high expectations but will be pleasantly surprised if he is in.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Captain Rainbow?, mmm... if we know how Sakurai is, it wouldn't be a surprise if he converts Rainbow into a third Captain Falcon (he has given us three Marios and three Foxs before, so what could stop him to do the same now?)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Man, I'd be ecstatic if Sakurai put in Captain Rainbow. I think he's got a chance as a WTF character.

I mean, the game revolves around celebrating the history of minor Nintendo celebrities, and Smash celebrates on a grander scale. It's a shame something like Captain Rainbow would get so much hate here in the states (maybe that's a reason TO add it).

Besides all that, if we got Mac, and are likely to get Takamaru, all we need is Lip and Nick and the gang's all here.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Uh yeah - you need to correct the title. There is only one fabulous character in all existences.

SHE IS THE FABULOUS ONE.

In all seriousness, support.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't think this helps Captain Rainbow's chances. The trophy was probably just included as a way to showcase a much different looking Little Mac as he appears in another Nintendo crossover game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have always supported Captain Rainbow since 2009... I used to have him on my roster... but I eventually took him off my roster sometime in 2010 after I realized that he is too obscure and his game didn't sell too well... I would like to see a reunion of Captain Rainbow, Little Mac, Takamaru, Lip, and Infantry Units in Smash! :awesome:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Captain Rainbow content in Smash was to be expected. That game was really well received in Japan after all, so at the very least Captain Rainbow and Nick will receive trophies. Same can be said for any other notable character that was in Captain Rainbow (Lip, Takamaru, Devil, etc.).
That pic confirms that much.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Watch that trophy of Mac be a "Captain Rainbow" trophy, and watch Nick/Captain Rainbow actually BE the WTF character.

As long as Takamaru is also playable, I'd love the HELL out of that.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Oh, come on... Captain Rainbow is all but confirmed.
I mean, like Banjodorf said, that Fat Mac trophy must be a Captain Rainbow trophy. It would be very out of place as a Punch Out trophy or a retro trophy.
I am aware that Brawl that Animal Crossing trophies and no playable characters, but Captain Rainbow is a character who can actually fight. Not to say that the Villager is playable this time.

D

Deleted member

I love how I saw people comment in this thread yesterday… only to see a CR reference today.

I know that Sakurai is a fan of this game, but I didn't expect it to get a reference. I will say this though; Captain Rainbow is now a contender for Smash. His chances aren't big as I cannot put him near the likes of Shulk, Palutena, or even Takamaru. However, this does raise his chances as well as others like Takamaru and Lip. Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai added Captain Rainbow on the roster. With that being said, I see him be an Assist Trophy more than as a playable character.

I do support Captain Rainbow. As a Nintendo fan, his game is rather cool and I love seeing all of these obscure characters get referenced in the game. I wouldn't put him in my top 10, but I would put him in my top 20. I bet his moveset would be cool with using all sorts of yo-yo attacks.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I hope if he's playable, they will have Little Mac with Takamaru and/or Lip (if they are revealed before him) in his trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope if he's playable, they will have Little Mac with Takamaru and/or Lip (if they are revealed before him) in his trailer.
Now I am thinking…
What if Takamaru gets confirmed in April (for the Ninja Castle Anniversary) and that sets up Captain Rainbow for E3? He could be the surprise character that will get some people talking.

Top Bottom