• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Tip to Developing Smashers: 3 Level 1 Ice Climbers Teams V 1.0

D

Deleted member

Smash is a 10+ year old game. Thus, it is tough to find a way to legitly practice by yourself.

However, I devised a simple training method that helps people practice/learn the basics.

In this particular case, it is L-cancelling.

==

To make good use of your personal time, try this in Versus Mode:

1v3.

Your character vs 3 Ice Climbers.

Each Ice Climbers is Level 1.

No friendly fire

Yoshi's story

==

I am a Captain Falcon main. Practicing your short hop Aerials until you get every L-cancel down in different situations helps

==

Now, go spam your aerials on the ice climbers and try to perfect L-cancelling. Why is this better than facing regular computers? Because when you hit multiple ice climbers (ranging from 1 to 3-4~) the timing switches.

By being able to hit people and L-cancel at different timings with no mistakes, you have already became a better smasher.

This is especially effective vs actual Ice Climbers 1v1 because you WILL hit both climbers sometimes.

It is also great in teams because you will hit both people too (or their shields)

I also believe it helps 1v1, even if it isn't a direct parallel of real games

So to those who always ask how to get better alone, try this! I assure you I still use it when I need to warm up quick. It is good both as a quick means of warming up L-cancelling but also to simply learn the game.

If i get a hold of video making software and a copy of melee I may make a video to demonstrate. Hopefully I was being clear enough.

COPYRIGHT@ s2J FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

D

Deleted member

if you guys meet any smashers trying to learn but don't live close to people show them this guide it will help them a good amount I feel

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
i feel like its simple enough to explain and requires no linking, but it shall forever be known as the "s2j method" ^^

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
i would spam the **** out of the thumbs up feature.
no post would go unthumbed.

I'm like robin hood or something.

GunPunch

Smash Apprentice
very nice, i'll have to try this. imo, solo practice is basically just for tech skill. trying to do tactics against cpus is pointless. am i right? i prefer to watch vids of pros playing my character instead. sometime i think watching alot of vids is as good as practice. a few times, after not playing for a few days, but just watching a bunch of vids. i'll go play and think, "why do i suck?" because i expect myself to perform like the pros i've been watching. but then it improves my game because i start to pull off things i watched. idk, has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

Edit: thumbs up feature would be awesome < complete understatement.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
GunPunch: Yeah, that's exactly what I do too and I've noticed myself improving.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
GunPunch, you're technical game is already pretty solid... just get your silly samus tech skill down and like... space better.
One thing I remember from our games at Rage was that you kept letting me get close to you and you gave up the stage really easily and would just let me have the center.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Good **** S2J love tidbits like this to help with the summer draught in a college town

**** I need people to play against

Jake13

Smash Lord
This sounds like fun. Good stuff s2j

Edit: id like to use this post to point out that s2j has the best ledge cancels in the business. True story

:phone:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Whenever I aerial 2 shielding IC's I hit R more than once. There is absolutely no drawback to hitting R (or L or Z) more than once to get the cancel, unless of course you're spamming it relentlessly, since you could input a shield command. This is mostly because you really never truly know if you're going to hit their shield or not.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I don't think that is the point..
The point of this thread is helping noobs get more consistent with L-cancels. I'm sure there are some lurkers that weren't aware of what I just stated, so I was hoping I'd help those individuals. So actually I'm right on track. No one can tell mid SHFFL whether or not the IC's have put up their shields in time or not, you have to have some decent reaction time to the L-cancel input, but if you can narrow it down in your mind, just hit it twice and you'll cancel every time (in those difficult situations where you're not 100% sure).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The point is to build that reaction time so you can just L-cancel everything.
By the time you commit to a SHFFL, and are mid-way in the process, you have predicted whether or not you will hit 2 vulnerable IC's or 2 shielding IC's. Most people that know the matchup predict correctly and there is no problem, or their general muscle memory habits are just slightly better at covering both options than most people and they get lucky. There's not always enough time to react. I know you're dying to correct me but there's nothing wrong with what I suggested lol.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
johnny do you mind if i add this to my "teach new players how 2 melee" guide?

Top Bottom