• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One night stands? Discuss new series reps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
So, this thread is about discussing characters which would be sole reps of a new series, this can also include stages, assist trophies, music and trophies surrounding the character and why you think he/her/it should get in. If I haven't explained correctly, it would be characters like Little Mac, Isaac and Mach Rider. I'm not sure wha else to put in an OP of this subject, so I guess I'll end it right now.

P.S The lists I've seen so far have had quite a lot of characters on it, all of which (in my eyes) do not all seem likely. So I'm restricting the lists to five characters, I'll let the lists already posted keep them though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the ones that have a chance (not counting 3rd parties) would be:
Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Little Mac (Punch-Out)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Mii (Mii)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Shulk (Xenoblade)
Starfy (Legendary Starfy)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejo)

I don't see characters like Lip, Tom Nook, DHD, Ray Mk, Andy, Muddy, Sukapon, etc. making it this time, but they're definitely not impossible.

D

Deleted member

Wait, didn't Balloon Fighter get rejected by Sakurai back in Melee, stating that he was useless without his balloon? I have not seen anything that could hint towards Sakurai reconsidering him.

Anyway, I think that Little Mac, Isaac, Saki, Shulk, Ray MK, Mii, Mach Rider, and Takamaru are all contenders for this game (thought Ray MK much less so). Having a hard time seeing other series getting in.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Wait, didn't Balloon Fighter get rejected by Sakurai back in Melee, stating that he was useless without his balloon? I have not seen anything that could hint towards Sakurai reconsidering him.

Anyway, I think that Little Mac, Isaac, Saki, Shulk, Ray MK, Mii, Mach Rider, and Takamaru are all contenders for this game (thought Ray MK much less so). Having a hard time seeing other series getting in.
What about Ridley, the most popular character thread here?

D

Deleted member

He's talking about characters from series that are unrepped.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
The only things I see going against smaller, new franchises are space & each other.

They would all bring something new so everyone would enjoy playing as them.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

What's really interesting about new series is that unlike in Brawl, there's nothing definitive about who will be in. Every contender has reasons to be in yet any of them could miss the cut. The competition will be intense and I am looking forward to seeing what Sakurai picks (as long as of course, I get a misc. franchise I want).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Yeah, you're right. I didn't so much forget it as much as I just hoped Sakurai would be able to come up with something for him in the 11 years since Melee, but that's probably wishful thinking. Honestly I don't think that the balloons are an overly difficult gimmick to implement, but unless Sakurai's mind changes, it'd probably be more realistic to keep him in my second, more unlikely list.

The only one I'd add to your list would be Starfy, whose chances I think are just as good (if not better) than Ray Mk. Both need a new game though.

What's really interesting about new series is that unlike in Brawl, there's nothing definitive about who will be in. Every contender has reasons to be in yet any of them could miss the cut. The competition will be intense and I am looking forward to seeing what Sakurai picks (as long as of course, I get a misc. franchise I want).
I think some are more likely than others (with Little Mac being the most likely IMO), but overall I agree with this. I'm also interested in how many new series in general are added. I'm going to to go with 5/6 (including 3rd parties). That might seem a little high, but I think it will be fairly similar to the amount Brawl added (which was 6).

And as for Dillon, I think he's a really cool character who would work well in Smash, but until he gets more games, the best he could be is an AT. Which I hope he will be.

D

Deleted member

@N3ON: Honestly, I can't see Starfy making it in this game (barring of course Sakurai did go back and play some Starfy games, in which he would have a shot). I'll explain more when we get to Starfy in less than a hour on Rate Their Chances.

As for how many new franchises we'll get, it's hard to say, but I'm willing to bet on us getting at least four new franchises, misc., retro, and third-party included, but I think five to seven new franchises is more likely.

Retro franchises seems like a pretty easy guess to me if we get two again. Takamaru and Mach Rider as far as I'm concern far outclass every other potential retro candidates in likelihood. If we get third-parties again, I'm only expecting one and that one being Mega Man. Misc. franchises is where things get dicey. If we were to have seven new franchises, I'm guessing the remaining four would be Little Mac, Isaac, Saki, and Mii with Shulk, Ray, and maybe Starfy as possibilities for those four slots as well. However, five or six new series seems more likely, which would make competition much more intense and definitely less clear cut.

The unpredictable nature of misc. series makes misc. characters difficult to guess. The only thing harder to figure out is the Pokemon roster (although I have my prediction for that one locked down after over a year of speculation and drama).

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Definitely
Dillion & Megaman - Two of my top favorites in the sole reps
Pacman & Bomberman - Definitely worth the inclusion
Banjo & Kazooie - Would be cool to see them after so long
Travis Touchdown & Viewtiful Joe - Cool (super)human characters
& Finally Little Mac

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Then there's unlikely, but interesting ones like Frey (Zangeki no Reginleiv), Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow), Zael (The Last Story), Demille (Tomato Adventure), Mokka (Magical Starsign), Aeron (Pandora's Tower), Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven), Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo), and Alexandra Rovia (Eternal Darkness).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One thing is that while the playable character is important; a franchise also has to have enough content in the form of stages, assist trophies, music, trophies, stickers, items, etc.

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One thing is that while the playable character is important; a franchise also has to have enough content in the form of stages, assist trophies, music, trophies, stickers, items, etc.
I think if Sakurai can manage to stretch a series like Ice Climber into what he has for Smash so far, I doubt he'll run out of content for a series with one playable character, even if it is a retro series. It's a good point though, but I doubt any character in SSB4 will receive less content than ROB did in Brawl. He had like what, two stickers and a song? :laugh:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think if Sakurai can manage to stretch a series like Ice Climber into what he has for Smash so far, I doubt he'll run out of content for a series with one playable character, even if it is a retro series. It's a good point though, but I doubt any character in SSB4 will receive less content than ROB did in Brawl. He had like what, two stickers and a song? :laugh:
Ice Climbers, Mr, Game and Watch, and R.O.B. are the exceptions. The character, like IC, represents the franchise and other aspects of it are modeled around them. That is only three characters out of the rest of the franchise.

Smash Bros. does not only honor a character in Nintendo's history but that franchise is well. That is why we have Mushroomy Kingdom and the Legend of Zelda ballad in SSBB. I think Sakurai takes these into account when choosing the roster. Sure, Saki can represent Sin and Punishment but what other "stuff" can be brought from S&P into Smash? I think those are the type of questions asked when Sakurai is piecing together the roster.

Oh and for the record, I am totally fine with a series being represented by an Assist Trophy or an item.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as these go, barring third parties, additional franchises that I believe will be added and would like to see are Little Mac for Punch-Out!!, Isaac for Golden Sun, Starfy for The Legendary Starfy, Miis from the Wii Series, and Muddy Mole for Mole Mania as a retro.

Just my input.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Little Mac will probably be a one night stand type of character, or at least that's where I see Punch-Out!! going.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mario

The series may have a lot of characters, but how many are really important?

Most are just thrown in for sidegames

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think they should have stuck to Mario, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario(Because he has his own series) and then maybe Peach.
I was joking. I was suggesting that Mario be added to smash, but saying that there isn't a single character other than him from his games that could be playable. Because he has a lot of playable characters in smash

D

Deleted member

@Venus: Well for Assist Trophy, Saki (assuming he's playable) could bring in Airan Jo and Isa Jo with him and there are various locations that can work for a stage in Sin & Punishment and Sin & Punishment 2. Also, there are plenty of good music both games have.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the only new series that might not be able to provide all the content that Venus listed are some retro series (though they would still have enough for a stage, at least one piece of music, and a couple trophies/stickers). Series like Punch-Out, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Starfy, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, etc. would have more than enough to represent themselves with.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think balloon fighter has enough content. I mean, we already have the music from that game in brawl and he's going to have a new game on the Wii U.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Balloon Fighter, Isaac, Shulk, Saki, Little Mac, Muddy Mole, Stafy, Ray, and Takamaru (no particular order) all have potential. Definitely for movesets, easily for stages, many AT possiblities, some have bosses, and all have music. I'd say it comes down to these guys. Misc is definitely the hardest part of making a roster.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Misc. is really hard, that's why I made this thread. A lot of people think of retros not as miscs, but as retros, so that halves your list! Of those that you listed, we can have Isaac, Shulk, Saki and Starfy. We can also ave some more.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think The Legendary Starfy, Xenoblade, Golden Sun, Mii, and Punch-Out!! are the safest assumptions at the moment.

Also Mach Rider, Nazo No Murasame Castle, and Balloon Fight are considered retro.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Misc. is really hard, that's why I made this thread. A lot of people think of retros not as miscs, but as retros, so that halves your list! Of those that you listed, we can have Isaac, Shulk, Saki and Starfy. We can also ave some more.
I just lump them all together. You consider Ray retro?

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Marshall from Rhythm heaven, I wanna see that franchise in SSB4

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People don't usually categorize retros with other newer misc. series because the conditions for retro inclusion are different than characters from newer unrepresented series. However this thread is about new series in general, so both should be able to be discussed here. Technically even new 3rd party series could be discussed here, but there are probably better places for that discussion.

Also, I agree with Habanero's list.
edit: I'd actually add S&P, but for the most part I agree. :embarrass:

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Id love to see any Warrior from Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, preferably Lu Bu, but that will never happen :(

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think for any character to be included, we have to remember that there are requirements for a character to be added. At the moment, i think Shulk has a generally good chance. He was the protagonist of an incredibly popular game, he has the potential for an amazing moveset, Xenoblade Chronicles presents several fantastic pieces of music, and many different locales for incredible stages.

To be honest, if Shulk isn't included, then i'm assuming that he, as well as other aspects of the game will be included as trophies/stickers, at least one piece of music will be on a stage (like Fire Emblem on the Temple Stage in Melee). Overall i just REALLY want Shulk in Smash 4

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I think for any character to be included, we have to remember that there are requirements for a character to be added. At the moment, i think Shulk has a generally good chance. He was the protagonist of an incredibly popular game, he has the potential for an amazing moveset, Xenoblade Chronicles presents several fantastic pieces of music, and many different locales for incredible stages.

To be honest, if Shulk isn't included, then i'm assuming that he, as well as other aspects of the game will be included as trophies/stickers, at least one piece of music will be on a stage (like Fire Emblem on the Temple Stage in Melee). Overall i just REALLY want Shulk in Smash 4
Couldn't agree more!!!

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm remembering now that [as rumored] Nintendo may be trying to buy back Banjo-Kazooie. IF this is true, I'd guess Retro Studios would take a jab at the game, and IF this is true, the bear and bird duo might just find their way into Smash Bros. after all. It would be the single best addition bar none.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm remembering now that [as rumored] Nintendo may be trying to buy back Banjo-Kazooie. IF this is true, I'd guess Retro Studios would take a jab at the game, and IF this is true, the bear and bird duo might just find their way into Smash Bros. after all. It would be the single best addition bar none.
I'd love if Nintendo bought back the B&K IP (as well as other Rare IPs), but I think there were just too many holes in the original story (as reported by... ZeldaInformer... :rolleyes:) to really find it believable, the most glaringly obvious stating that Retro was "deep into development" on a game they didn't even have legal rights to. People seemed to have forgotten the more unbelievable elements of that article (I don't blame them, I was clinging to the hope that it was true for a long time as well).

Believe me though, the addition of B&K would be just about the best thing ever, they've been my most wanted character since Melee, but the chance of this rumor being true seem astronomically small.

Plus Microsoft just renewed some Killer Instinct legal stuff IIRC, if the rumor (which states Nintendo was trying to buy all their IPs) was true, this seems to fly in the face of it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, was relieved to hear MS finally did something about Killer Instinct after I had lost hope quite awhile back. Eagerly awaiting the next phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom