• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The greatest come-back? Discuss retro characters here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well, this is about retro characters such as Muddy Mole, Takamaru and Geno. These do all count as retro characters since nintendo land minigames, virtual console and cameos do not contribute towards whether they are retro or not. You can not have third party retro characters on this thread though.
This should get interesting, retro characters are generally the hardest to decide out of all of the characters (except Pokemon and sometimes Mario.) I mean who expected R.O.B in brawl or Mr. game and watch in melee? No one!
So, with the retro genre so difficult to decide, I'll make it a little harder by putting down a limit of 3 retro characters on a list of ones you want to see.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
dose little mac still count as retro given the recent punch out game on the Wii?

anyway my top choices for retro charecters would be: balloon fighter, bubbles and the urban fighter

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'd say both Pit and Little Mac can be considered "revived retro". Therefore, they identify moreso with their franchises rather the "retro label".

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Meh! One hell of a comeback would be Sheriff but they would have like to totally reinvent him, since the ingame sprite was not so descriptive:
http://images.wikia.com/ssb/images/7/7b/Sheriff_trophy_(SSBM).jpg
As well as the only piece of an artwork of him:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110426103907/nintendoretro/images/2/28/Sheriff_logo.png
So generic!
Then there would be that thing from Clu Clu Land:
http://images.wikia.com/ssb/images/9/9c/Bubbles_trophy_(SSBM).jpg
Don't take me wrong, the game was great, But do we need another spheric char with Kirby and, potentially, Pacman in the same game?
Then there would be even this:
http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/1/1f/AdventuresofLolo_NES_NA.jpg
Who has already become part of Kirby's franchise together his girlfriend/sister
http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/games/avalanche/screenshots/kirbyavalanchescreen18.PNG

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Meh! One hell of a comeback would be Sheriff but they would have like to totally reinvent him, since the ingame sprite was not so descriptive:
http://images.wikia.com/ssb/images/7/7b/Sheriff_trophy_(SSBM).jpg
As well as the only piece of an artwork of him:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110426103907/nintendoretro/images/2/28/Sheriff_logo.png
If they did include Sheriff, which I am totally down for, I vote he retain that classic 8 bitness much like other loveable Mr. Game and Watch.

Hell...Sheriff could be the anti-thesis of Mr. G&W....Black vs White.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I still say Jack (which is the name of the sheriff, supposedly) should be updated with a new design. I was thinking along the lines of how the artwork depicts him, but older to emphasis how old the game Sheriff was.

:phone:

Teege

Smash Rookie
I think the best retro character that they could possibly choose would be Princess from Magical Pop'n. I just recently started playing this game and I'm in love with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Pop'n

Here's a couple good reasons why:
1. She's made of awesome.
2. She's got a ton of different moves.
3. SHE DONT NEED NO MAN TO SAVE HER, NUH UHHHHH.
4. She has an adorable star rope that she uses as a tether in her own game.

This short video shows all of her moves. 0:44 for her star rope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BLFssnfq0k

D

Deleted member

Actually, I think our two retro choices are pretty clear cut; Takamaru and Mach Rider. They have the most going for their inclusion (by a large margin) and I would be surprised if Sakurai were to pick anyone else.

Also, Sheriff is not the first video game character made by Nintendo. If we really want to look for the first video game character made by Nintendo, the game is the 1976 Wild Gunman.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, to be honest, Little Mac isn't retro anymore.

More on-topic, I feel Muddy Mole has a good shot, along with Takamaru and Mach Rider, in my opinion. Especially due to Smash coming to 3DS, they may want a Handheld retro, in which case, Muddy is the best option, more than likely.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Revived retro characters I want? Little Mac, King Hippo, Palutena, Medusa

Retro characters I want? Duck Hunt Dog, Muddy Mole, Takamaru

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
NES Cartridge

Saw this thing fight on mugen one time.
What was a cartridge to?

I want Timmy from Startropics!! He really needs a smash revival. Devil from Devil World would also be awesome.

Who was Timmy in StarTropics? Were any of the characters other than Mike Jones important?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Takamaru by far has the best shot at being playable of the retro characters, but I could also see Mach Rider getting the spot. They are the two characters I think would be able to have the Pit-style revival Sakurai was hinting at.

Sheriff I suppose would fill the Mr.G&W/ROB spot well, as would Sukapon IMO, although Sakurai is (or at least was) against his inclusion. Other possible retro reps could be Balloon Fighter (if Sakurai manages to come up with how to use the balloons), Muddy, Lip, and DHD, though I think all of those are very unlikely.

And Little Mac won't be limited to being the token retro character.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I still think Balloon Fighter has a good chance despite Sakurai stating why he wasn't in one of the Smash games. He's a very well known retro character and I don't see how Mach Rider would be any easier to make a moveset for, but I could be wrong.

The two characters I want in the most are Tom Nook and Balloon Fighter, but apparently they can't fight according to Sakurai so he decided to add ROB into the game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Takamaru and Mach Rider are the most likely, unless Sakurai considers Punch-Out to be retro. I'd love Sukapon, but he honestly seems unlikely.

Also, don't forget Megaman: the classic version is (probably) the most wanted, and he hasn't had a non-throwback game since MM&B, so I consider him a retro character.

D

Deleted member

Isn't Takamaru already technically "revived" within Samurai Warriors 3? I still stand by Mach Rider being the next retro revival character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just to showcase all the other retro characters. Tamagon (Devil World), Urban Champion (Urban Champion), Donbe & Hikari (Shin Onigashima), Alice (Balloon Kid), Protagonist (Famicom Tantei Club), Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Tantei Club), Prince Sable (Kaera no Tane ni Kane wa Naru), Hakkun (Sutte Hakkun), Prince Richard (Kaera no Tane ni Kane wa Naru), Prince Richard (Kaera no Tane ni Kane wa Naru), Mike Anderson (Battle Clash), Hockey Team (Ice Hockey), Joshin (Doshin the Giant), Doshin (Doshin the Giant), Goku (Yujuki), & Diskun (Famicom Classics).

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

I feel Prince Sable would be both an interesting character and make for a really interesting revived RPG game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
there are a lot of characters to choose from a retro list, I'll state my opinion on some of these characters:

Little Mac - Punch-Out!!
Got a revived game on the Wii, much like Pit, and appeared as an assist trophy. since boxing is a fighting sport, a moveset wouldn't be hard to do, although, some creativity would be necessary.

Balloon Fighter - Balloon Fight
Would do a unique moveset, using the balloons for recovery and extra jumps like Kirby, Meta Knight or Pit. Is likely to appear, since Sakurai planned him for Melee, along with the Ice Climbers and Pit, who made their Smash debuts in Melee and Brawl, respectively. So it is not a stretch to think that Balloon Fighter will be a playable character in the fourth game.

Takamaru - Nazo no Murasamejo
As a samurai, I expect him to have a different fighting style from other sword users, which would be welcome. Music from his game appeared in Brawl, and Nintendo Land will feature a game based on his game. Made a cameo in Samurai Warriors 3 for the Wii.

Prince of Sable - Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru
Another sword user... with transformation abilities! Could be a character like Zelda/Sheik or Pokémon Trainer. Being from a Japan-only game doesn't help his chances, however, Marth, Roy and Lucas appeared in Smash games as Japan only characters so, it may not stop Prince of Sable to be included.

Tamagon - Devil World
This little dragon appeared as a trophy in Japanese Melee (accessed via hacking in some American versions of Melee but absent from PAL version). He comes from Japan and Europe only Devil World which was represented by the Devil Assist Trophy in Brawl. Also has the benefit of a new moveset, as well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Expecting no cuts whatsoever is like expecting Ratchet and Clank to join Super Smash Bros.

Face it, not every single character is going to make a comeback whether you like it or not.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. People are WAY too eager to cut characters this time around.
Far too eager, it saddens me when see roster without characters already in Brawl. The melee -> Brawl switch saddened me with no Mewtwo and Roy. They should realize fans don't like it
Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Muddy Mole!
I'm slowly warming up to Mach Rider but very slowly

@Habanero: You can't say it's guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed until it is officially stated. With fan popularity, they are generally against from what I've read, seen, and heard.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Expecting no cuts whatsoever is like expecting Ratchet and Clank to join Super Smash Bros.

Face it, not every single character is going to make a comeback whether you like it or not.
This is quite the overstatement. Sure there's a valid chance that there might be a cut or two, but it's not an impossibility that all 39 characters could make it back in SSB4, it's certainly a lot more likely than getting a character like Ratchet & Clank (which is a true impossibility). Especially since Brawl's data is being used.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Agreed. People are WAY too eager to cut characters this time around.
They were last time around too. It's selfish really, to try and get characters you don't like cut and ruin the experience for someone else.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Don't forget that the upcoming Nintendo Land Wii U title will have an attraction based on Takamaru. To suddenly revive him within the launch of their new system, I'd say Takamaru is game and set in stone for Smash Bros. and a possible series revival. IF characters were equally chosen 50/50 by Nintendo and Sakurai, I'd bet Ninty completely supports Takamaru's inclusion in SSB4. Just up to Sakurai to decide (which is a probable yes).

Mach Rider was the predecessor to Captain Falcon, so differentiate him enough from the cap'n and he could work. Namely: include the bike in his moveset.

Hell, I'd rather see only retro characters in SSB4 instead of contemporary additions. Takamaru, Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, Little Mac, Lip, bring 'em all on. Celebrate Nintendo full force. Smash Bros. already has the bulk of Nintendo's recognizable characters, time to bring in the old chaps!

Also, because Pac-Man is ancient, if he were the only 3rd party to make it in he could even count as a retro video game character (simply because of his origins).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They were last time around too. It's selfish really, to try and get characters you don't like cut and ruin the experience for someone else.
Well in peoples' defense, IIRC last time quite early on into development Sakurai stated there would be roster cuts, which caused alot of people to go overboard with their cut speculation. Plus there were alot of direct clones that most people weren't overly attached to. I remember many people thought and supported the removal of Ice Climbers and Game & Watch (partly due to that Bowser Jr, Ridley, Toon Link rumor), but I thought that was a bit strange, the clones I could at least understand.

This time around I think Sakurai is going to try and include the entire Brawl roster as well as Mewtwo (and probably Roy), but there still might be a cut or two if development runs into time constraints again. I wouldn't be surprised if a character didn't make it over, but I'd be disappointed.

Also, because Pac-Man is ancient, if he were the only 3rd party to make it in he could even count as a retro video game character (simply because of his origins).
If All-Star works the same way as it did in Brawl, it'd be funny that Pac-Man would be fought before Mario. He almost beats out G&W too, but G&W is a month older (I checked ;)). :laugh:

I also agree about Takamaru, I think he is far and away the most likely retro character, especially if Nintendo gets a say, but I still don't think he's a lock.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hell, I'd rather see only retro characters in SSB4 instead of contemporary additions. Takamaru, Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, Little Mac, Lip, bring 'em all on. Celebrate Nintendo full force. Smash Bros. already has the bulk of Nintendo's recognizable characters, time to bring in the old chaps!
While I'd welcome basically any of those mentioned, I wouldn't want retro characters to be the only newcomers. Ever hear of too much of a good thing?

Well in peoples' defense, IIRC last time quite early on into development Sakurai stated there would be roster cuts, which caused alot of people to go overboard with their cut speculation. Plus there were alot of direct clones that most people weren't overly attached to. I remember many people thought and supported the removal of Ice Climbers and Game & Watch (partly due to that Bowser Jr, Ridley, Toon Link rumor), but I thought that was a bit strange, the clones I could at least understand.

This time around I think Sakurai is going to try and include the entire Brawl roster as well as Mewtwo (and probably Roy), but there still might be a cut or two if development runs into time constraints again. I wouldn't be surprised if a character didn't make it over, but I'd be disappointed.
Well I was mostly referring to things like the owner of Serebii e-mailing GameFreak or Nintendo (forget which now) to cut Mewtwo from Brawl because he didn't like the way he played in Melee. Can't tell me that's not selfish. Can understand the amount of cut speculation if Sakurai had stated that though, and most of the clones were a given for being cut if they weren't gonna be changed up enough, but Mewtwo wasn't a gameplay clone anymore than Ice Climbers or Game & Watch to begin with, so yeah.

Oh, as for "time constraints", that didn't stop them from delaying Brawl a bunch of times. If they care enough I think they'll add in whatever characters they initially planned regardless of how much time they have if they can get away with pushing back SSB4 as much as they did Brawl. Sonic was a last-minute addition to Brawl, after all.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You may be right about overdoing it (there are newfolk I'd like to see), but I wouldn't mind half of the newcomers being retro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom