• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Marathon Detective: Mr. Stevenson joins the fray

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067

Seeing as how there is no support thread I'm making this.

"Who Mr. Stevenson?"

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Stevenson

Mr. Stevenson was the main character on the OLD NES game Gumshoe. In the game he would always be running (hence marathon) and the player would use the old NES zapper to shoot enemies on the screen (final smash ala Snake. He is trying to collect the Black Panther Diamonds to give to the mob boss King Dom who kidnaped his daughter Jennifer (trophies).

Pros and cons

Pros:

Had no moves so the development team can created can do whatever they want

Cons:

Wasn't released in Japan

Has to compete with the other retros

"What Can He Do?"

In gumshoe all he could do is run, but like Fox, CF, and Ice Climbers before him, he can have his own moveset like this

[COLLAPSE="Moveset"]

B Hat throw: Mr. Stevenson throws his hat that hits an opponent and attaches to them, when it attaches they get a debuff on all stats. Does 7% damage

B-Side Trenchcoat: a counter move that does 0% damage, but when he is hit, he wraps the trenchcoat around the opponent and spins them dazing them

B-Down What's This?: Takes about 3 seconds, he pulls a bomb out of his trenchcoat which then explodes in hishand. Does 10% damage to him and 36% to enemies with great knockback

B-Up: Balloon: takes out and blows up a balloon, which takes him up high, is controllable does 0%. But if it hits an opponent while blowing up or while rising, it explodes dealing 24% damage with good knockback

Final Smash Possibility 1: A LITTLE HELP!; Mr. Stevenson finds the black panther diamonds and runs off to deliver them to the mob boss, while he is gone the player starts to shoot the other players, there are 12 shots (4 rounds of 3) each shot does 12 damage with average knockback

[/COLLAPSE]

Bongobuddy61's moveset on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-j84GJRWL8

If you can find any video, pictures, music, or movesets, or pros and cons please post those it will help

EDIT 1: 1,350,000 hits on google
EDIT 2: Pros and Cons

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wasn't he US only?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Many thanks to @FalKooρa for re-opening this thread so that I can show some support for Mr. Stevenson! :4dedede:

Gumshoe is an old favourite of mine, and it's my favourite example of a creative light-gun game whose objective goes beyond just shooting things just because they must be shot. It's also a rare example of one that wouldn't lose any of its franticness or charm (light-gun usage aside) by being re-released on the Virtual Console on the 3DS or Wii U and having touch-controls implemented as a substitute for the Zapper. It's also for this reason that I think it would be an ideal candidate for a revival game (eShop or retail) made in this fashion.

I've wanted to see Mr. Stevenson in Smash for a while, although I know that he had low chances this time around due to the bigger focus on recent appearances for Smash 3DS/Wii U's base roster. That said, I'd still like to see him, if not in this game as DLC, then in the next, where I feel that older faces might get a bigger look-in due to most of the big names already being present at this point.

What follows are my general thoughts on why I think Mr. Stevenson would be interesting in Smash. If you're unfamiliar with Gumshoe, you may want to watch this video first. Suffice it to say that I think the original game could provide a decent amount of moveset potential before the team would have to start coming up with ideas made specifically for Smash!

Gumshoe looked like a standard platformer, but it was controlled entirely with the Zapper, with its mechanics seemingly having been inspired by the old trope from westerns, where a bad guy would proclaim something like "I'd like to see you dance!", before shooting at their opponent's feet. This is especially evident in how Mr. Stevenson jumps in the game - he had unlimited jumping ability, as long as your aim was good. This was one of the key points in Gumshoe, and it was required in order to traverse some areas. Given this, Mr. Stevenson would be the only human character on the Smash roster who could legitimately be granted a sizeable number of multiple jumps like, say, the Kirby cast have. Four or five is not unrealistic for Mr. Stevenson.

I picture Stevenson's weight as being a little bit heavier than Mario's and Luigi's, due to how his movement felt in his home game.

Given that he's always running in his own game, for some reason this makes me imagine that Mr. Stevenson might be a bit slippery when moving at full-speed in Smash - if you imagine Luigi's momentum when running in either version of Super Mario Bros. 2, I picture it as being a bit like that. This could make for useful escapes from opponents, and they may have to anticipate hitting where you're going to be, rather than where you are when they commit to an attack.

One attack he could have, albeit one that would need to have a limited range, or allow only a few shots before a ten to fifteen second cool-down time, would be to be able to shoot enemy projectiles and some stage hazards, and turn them into health-restoring food. This was a core part of the game he's from (you could shoot at hazardous birds and turn them into harmless, collectible roast chickens, for example), and therefore shouldn't be absent from his Smash moveset.

His recovery would have to be a red balloon. These were all over the place in Gumshoe. I imagine that this move would work similarly to Duck Hunt Duo's recovery, but with the same disadvantage that Villager's has - namely, if someone pops the balloon, you'll fall uncontrollably, possibly to your doom.

I'm unsure how the five Black Panther diamonds (something he had to collect to pay a ransom, in Gumshoe) could be used. I really like @ lobotheduck21 lobotheduck21 's Final Smash idea for these, though I also quite like the ludicrous notion of simply chucking them full-force at people, just so that Mr. Stevenson could have a throwable projectile. :laugh: Perhaps they could stick around for a limited time after being thrown, so that opponents could have the chance to pick them up and throw them back, too.

Anyway, yes, go, Mr. Stevenson! :smash:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Mr. Stevenson! Still though, I feel he'd be more suited for Smash 5...like almost every other retro character.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I support Mr. Stevenson! Still though, I feel he'd be more suited for Smash 5...like almost every other retro character.
I suspect that that's where his best chance will be, to be honest.

I don't anticipate huge enough numbers of characters from new IPs being created between now and the next Smash game to provide a substantial number of workable newcomers, and at this point, we've also got almost all of the long-running and contemporary faces on the roster (i.e., the well-known ones), along with a collective of a few retro characters who run the gauntlet from iconic to less-well-remembered.

Still, it doesn't hurt to show support for him now - after all, the ballot is apparently partly to get some ideas for the next game, too, so they're already looking into that now.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I suspect that that's where his best chance will be, to be honest.

I don't anticipate huge enough numbers of characters from new IPs being created between now and the next Smash game to provide a substantial number of workable newcomers, and at this point, we've also got almost all of the long-running and contemporary faces on the roster (i.e., the well-known ones), along with a collective of a few retro characters who run the gauntlet from iconic to less-well-remembered.

Still, it doesn't hurt to show support for him now - after all, the ballot is apparently partly to get some ideas for the next game, too, so they're already looking into that now.
Don't get me wrong, I support all retros, but somehow I feel that the base roster of a new Smash game is the best hope for a retro character these days. Either way, I still strongly support Mr. Stevenson! Smash 4 DLC or future Smash games!

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
The only point of adding him back would be to represent the light gun, which we now have Duck Hunt for.
I love seeing retro revivals, but this is one of the few I don't agree with.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The only point of adding him back would be to represent the light gun, which we now have Duck Hunt for.
I love seeing retro revivals, but this is one of the few I don't agree with.
In all fairness, just because a character is old, it doesn't mean that their only purpose is representing a particular piece of hardware. ;)

It's kind of like saying that Wario Land doesn't get represented in Smash because Kirby already represents the Game Boy system, since both originated there.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I like the character for what he does, his design, and how fun his game is - it's nothing to do with him representing light-guns, and I doubt that any game designer would look at it that way, either.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
In all fairness, just because a character is old, it doesn't mean that their only purpose is representing a particular piece of hardware. ;)

It's kind of like saying that Wario Land doesn't get represented in Smash because Kirby already represents the Game Boy system, since both originated there.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I like the character for what he does, his design, and how fun his game is - it's nothing to do with him representing light-guns, and I doubt that any game designer would look at it that way, either.
Perhaps, but If we are going to get another retro rep, then I would prefer Bubbles, Tamagon or Urban Champion.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Perhaps, but If we are going to get another retro rep, then I would prefer Bubbles, Tamagon or Urban Champion.
I would love to have any of those, as well! :grin:

I'm actually still surprised that Urban Champion, as a game, got no representation at all. Since 3D Classics: Urban Champion was a very recent release on the 3DS at the time that Smash 3DS/Wii U went into production, I fully expected at least a stage based on it to appear in Smash 3DS. I still maintain that it would be a riot to have one.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Uh, I hate myself. Curse you obscure retro charm! I'm down for this character. Add me to the support list. btw the moveset video is unavailable for me. Might be because the video was removed or something.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

It's so weird, but I like him for his design as well.

I'll take any of them as well, if not Mr. Stevenson.

I would love to have any of those, as well! :grin:

I'm actually still surprised that Urban Champion, as a game, got no representation at all. Since 3D Classics: Urban Champion was a very recent release on the 3DS at the time that Smash 3DS/Wii U went into production, I fully expected at least a stage based on it to appear in Smash 3DS. I still maintain that it would be a riot to have one.
Is it weird that I'm rooting for Urban Champion to show up as his own character, yet I think it is SO much more likely that he'll appear in Smash as an alt. skin of Little Mac? (In the style of :4olimar:/:4alph:) Heck, Sakurai himself even said the reason Urban Champ didn't show up in Melee is because all he did was punch, and he couldn't think of a good moveset for him. Come 13 years later into Smash 4, and what does Little Mac end up doing as a playable character for LITERALLY just about ALL of his attacks? :smirk: (BTW, Yes, I know they are not from the same universe, but I don't think people will notice all that much.)

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Is it weird that I'm rooting for Urban Champion to show up as his own character, yet I think it is SO much more likely that he'll appear in Smash as an alt. skin of Little Mac? (In the style of :4olimar:/:4alph:) Heck, Sakurai himself even said the reason Urban Champ didn't show up in Melee is because all he did was punch, and he couldn't think of a good moveset for him. Come 13 years later into Smash 4, and what does Little Mac end up doing as a playable character for LITERALLY just about ALL of his attacks? :smirk: (BTW, Yes, I know they are not from the same universe, but I don't think people will notice all that much.)
When you put it this way, I could kind of imagine the Urban Champion being a clone/semi-clone of Little Mac, much in the same way that Ganondorf is one of Captain Falcon. It would be a relatively "quick" and fitting way to get his punches-only self onto the roster, really.

I can't imagine any such luck for Mr. Stevenson, though. :laugh: There's just nothing that would work for him, since he brings a few moves and mechanics from his own game with him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom